Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- outleradam - 2011-10-12

The unresponsiveness is what we are referring to when we say "Range Issues". The thing comes unpaired with the dongle and then double-taps or is non-responsive for a few seconds.

I don't forsee a fix for this.. It's a RF hardware issue, and the fuxors at Moto sealed the unit up.. Believe me I've tried to open it and I think i got close to breaking it. Unless there's some creative BT Programmer, then it's not going to be able to be fixed with firmware.

- Quartermass - 2011-10-12

Malard Wrote:Quartermass, while I appreciate your comments, this remote's function was designed for those with a dedicated HTPC, it is impossible to please everyone and clearly the remote doesn't do what you need.

What the remote does is fairly obvious (I hope) and you still decided to buy it, please don't complain that it is not doing what you wanted, when it was never designed to do those things in the first place.

I've bought something designed to operate XBMC, and it doesn't do that. You can put your hands up and say that this isn't what you intended, but that doesn't cut it. You're selling an item which isn't fit for purpose.

I bought it because I wanted an RF device to control XBMC which would also be able to replace my TV remote (at least be able to turn it off) and not require to be pointed at the receiver. It's reasonable for me to expect it to do all that.

Even if it did manage to switch XBMC on and off there's still the range issue which makes it no better than an IR. It's also alarming that it failed within 30 minutes of use (although removing and replacing the batteries fixed it).

All in all I hope you understand why I'm extremely unhappy with both the purchase and your attitude.

- Malard - 2011-10-12

Quartermass Wrote:I've bought something designed to operate XBMC, and it doesn't do that. You can put your hands up and say that this isn't what you intended, but that doesn't cut it. You're selling an item which isn't fit for purpose.

I bought it because I wanted an RF device to control XBMC which would also be able to replace my TV remote (at least be able to turn it off) and not require to be pointed at the receiver. It's reasonable for me to expect it to do all that.

Even if it did manage to switch XBMC on and off there's still the range issue which makes it no better than an IR. It's also alarming that it failed within 30 minutes of use (although removing and replacing the batteries fixed it).

All in all I hope you understand why I'm extremely unhappy with both the purchase and your attitude.

Quartermass, my claim of it being designed for XBMC I still believe is valid, it's just not designed for your usage of XBMC.

I'm sorry your not happy with my attitude, I'm trying to be open and fair, it is impossible to please everyone, I don't believe there is a product in the world where everyone get's what they want. All I can claim to do is try to bring a product to market that I feel does what a lot of people want, and it seems to be based on sales and general feedback. (Bugs not withstanding which are deeply frustrating)

- Bram77 - 2011-10-12

I think you're fair and you're genuinely frustrated about the bugs. This makes use buyers probably a bit more patient Smile. But since it's a commercial product we, both the buyers and the producer, should both benefit from it. The way the remote is working now it will end up on a shelve in most cases. Which means I'll send it back and will expect a refund unless the main problem (range issue) can be solved. Because you're a XBMC member and because of your sincerely worried attitude I might be willing to meet you halfway. If you'd tackle the problem and could send us an improved version (without the range issues) of the USB dongle, I would be willing to cover the shipping costs.

This would not solve all the problems with the remote though. The left en bottom navigation arrows aren't always responding but this doesn't always seem to be related to the range issue. The red light on the remote doesn't flash in a lot of cases when I click the buttons unless I push firmly (I need to go beyond the 'click'). Which tells me no signal is send. Correct me if I'm wrong.

- Malard - 2011-10-12

Bram77 Wrote:I think you're fair and you're genuinely frustrated about the bugs. This makes use buyers probably a bit more patient Smile. But since it's a commercial product we, both the buyers and the producer, should both benefit from it. The way the remote is working now it will end up on a shelve in most cases. Which means I'll send it back and will expect a refund unless the main problem (range issue) can be solved. Because you're a XBMC member and because of your sincerely worried attitude I might be willing to meet you halfway. If you'd tackle the problem and could send us an improved version (without the range issues) of the USB dongle, I would be willing to cover the shipping costs.

This would not solve all the problems with the remote though. The left en bottom navigation arrows aren't always responding but this doesn't always seem to be related to the range issue. The red light on the remote doesn't flash in a lot of cases when I click the buttons unless I push firmly (I need to go beyond the 'click'). Which tells me no signal is send. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just to make clear Pulse-Eight is just the retailer, all of these issues are with Motorola and they will be covering the end cost of all the returns.

With respect to replacements, your left click issue is a mechanical defect as far as we are aware and we are replacing units affected. Equally the range, we still don't know the actual cause, its possible its driver related or something in the software of the dongle, either way as soon as it is identified and fixed replacement parts or software will be issued at no cost to the buyer.

- Bram77 - 2011-10-12

Good to know. Thanks Smile

- Kevo - 2011-10-12

-EaS- Wrote:Result: *Every* left click results in a blink of the LED (read: is registered as a press of the button). Returning to RF mode, this is *not* the case.

This is what I have seen on two remotes. IR left arrow is fine, RF left arrow needs a firmer press (RF left arrow on keyboard side is fine)

And it is a completely different issue to this;
outleradam Wrote:The unresponsiveness is what we are referring to when we say "Range Issues". The thing comes unpaired with the dongle and then double-taps or is non-responsive for a few seconds.

As I have said previous, I can get 5m away, through a stud wall, and the remote behaves in the exact same way as if I were a few inches away. The left click -EaS- describes is not a "range issue".

outleradam Wrote:I don't forsee a fix for this.. It's a RF hardware issue, and the fuxors at Moto sealed the unit up.. Believe me I've tried to open it and I think i got close to breaking it. Unless there's some creative BT Programmer, then it's not going to be able to be fixed with firmware.

BT Programmer?

Quartermass Wrote:I've bought something designed to operate XBMC, and it doesn't do that. You can put your hands up and say that this isn't what you intended, but that doesn't cut it. You're selling an item which isn't fit for purpose.

My remote both operates XBMC as you wanted, and replaces my TV remote (including turns the tv on/off) and it also replaces my Sky+ remote.
I can also close down XBMC if I want to.

So yes, I guess it is reasonable for you to expect it to do all that, as I have two remotes doing that and more.

As for launching XBMC as an application from the remote, this is obviously something you would have to configure on the computer, not the remote.
For one XBMC is cross platform, and there will also be various other software installed that could interfere. How would this be possible from a £40 remote, at least without configuring something on the PC first?

As designed, the remote sleeps and resumes a PC perfectly, but I didnt want this functionality, so I disabled it.

I think people are really over thinking what a remote is supposed/be able to do, all that can be asked of it is for each button to send a unique code.
With regards to the more specific functionality within XBMC, as we have seen in this thread, the people who have worked out how to customise buttons using a keymap.xml - none have been the same. And this is exactly why the un-marked buttons (coloured) and such are user definable.

And its still not specifically a left handed remote, no matter how I look at it it.

Also did anyone pick up on this, it may be important?

SkItZo Wrote:Ok, got the remote today, First time i installed it i didnt have the batteries in the remote and connected the dongle. The dongle installed as a Nyxboard Remote 2.4GHz device and after adding the batteries to the remote i was having all sorts of range problems (limited to about 1 meter,) the keyboard side was non responsive or would repeat button presses (even though i only pressed the button once.) I then disconnected the dongle from the back and plugged it into the front port and it installed as a USB Composite Device/USB Compliant Device and the remote functioned much better, the keyboard functioned correctly and the range problems were solved. I removed the dongle from the front and I then restored my windows OS (7 x64) from a saved image. Once it had restored i ensured batteries were in the remote, connected the dongle at the back and it installed as a USB Composite Device/USB Compliant Device and is working as could be expected.

It's not so much the lack of function on the remote, is more the "Take it or leave it from Mallard". I already have a working remote stop it it's possible.

- SkItZo - 2011-10-12

Ok, seems in my enthusiasm of getting my hands on the remote last night i was a bit presumptuous.
Having the dongle in the back of my motherboard still causes problems with the keyboard side of the remote. The remote side however works much better.
Using the usb ports on the front of my case (from the headers on the mobo) the keyboard works much better.

As with most people i have the left arrow click problem in RF mode only (there is no flash on the remote unless i press down firmly on the button,) in IR mode i get no problems. I also am limited to a range of about 1.8 meters.

I will be borrowing a camera tomorrow to take a decent picture of the scratches on the front of the remote.

I do hope we can get these issues solved. At the moment i would prefer to use my PS3 blu-ray remote with hacked BT stack drivers and my TV remote seperately than this remote the way it is at the moment.

Thanks Malard.

- einhänder - 2011-10-12

I received the nyxboard today and have a hint and a question.

Hint:
I wasn't able to let my system go sleep or powerdown by pressing the powerbutton on the remote.
All I got was a msg in the logs:

Quote:localhost nobody: ACPI event unhandled: button/sleep SBTN 00000080 00000000"

"CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=yes" is set in my kernel config and acpid is running.
In order to get the event handled by acpid I had to create a config for the nyxboard in "/etc/acpi/events/". It is necessary to create a dedicated config in order to not overwrite the default behaviour for e.g. your case powerbutton.

Code:
acpi_listen
button/sleep SBTN 00000080 00000000

Code:
cat /etc/acpi/events/nyxboard
event=button/sleep
action=/sbin/init 0

One can define any action for the button, e.g. pm-suspend, pm-hibernate, init. Whatever your system offers.

Question:
Is it possible to poweron/wakeup the system by pressing the powerbutton of the nyxboard? Atm nothing happens, but the bios accepts events over ps2/usb. I already tested all available usb ports with negative results.

- Kevo - 2011-10-12

Quartermass Wrote:It's not so much the lack of function on the remote, is more the "Take it or leave it from Mallard". I already have a working remote stop it it's possible.

Your remote launches the XBMC application? Can you tell me what remote it is?

Kevo, I'm at work at the moment I'll check when I get home. Basically it's done through an AHK script, which someone has made for XBMC. I suspect the same could be done for this remote, but I'm no expert. The RF issue means I'm unlikely to try to puzzle it out. It's something I think mallard could be wise to look at,.as it's enhance the device

- Kevo - 2011-10-12

That's like I said then, a computer side thing not specific to a remote.

Why don't you get a replacement and see how your range is on that? It seems like you are having more of a fault issue than the specific functionality like you are shouting.

I'm not sure what to do Kevo - I certainly don't feel I've been shouting though. I had anticipated a conciliatory attitude from Pulse Eight. I appreciate it's a new product, some things need to be worked out and I was expecting there to be a bit of give and take. The response I got was nothing like that so I'm both disappointed and frustrated - I had high hopes for this. I've been told that my expectations were unrealistic, the device isn't designed for my unusual usage and I have no grounds to complain.

The current setup I have isn't perfect but it's not too far away. Ideally I'd like one of the buttons to be able to switch off my TV. I'd hoped it would be programmable so that one of the coloured buttons would send out the IR signal without switching mode to IR mode. I also expected to have better reception than the IR device I have now, I had the IR receiver on the bottom of the TV stand and when I reconnect it tonight I'm going to have the receiver on the top of the TV (I did have it loosely there before I cable tied everything), so the response is going to be better than I'm getting with the RF device. I had expected the same level of functionality that I have now. My guess is it's going to be possible for the Nyxboard to switch XBMC on and off, but it needs someone to do a bit of work to get it to work. I'd probably learn how to do it myself (all be it grudgingly), but since everything else isn't right with it then I don't see it's worth the effort.

I have checked through the receipts in my email, it was Maplin I got the remote from, and it was £20. And I was using this. It is indeed a software solution and didn't come with the remote, that doesn't bother me in the least though. I've actually not looked at how configurable it is, I was thinking nah I'll just drop the £40 on the Nyxboard and that seems like it'll cover all the bases.

I can't think of what to do other than return the remote. I was initially a bit hesitant as I realise Mallard isn't a large PLC, and I don't want him to lose out financially because I appreciate what he's doing as an enthusiast but it's reassuring that Motorola will fit the cost of returns and not him. I'll hold off for a couple of days though to gather my thoughts in the hopes that something changes.

- mat____ - 2011-10-13

I'm still waiting for someone to address the 'STOP' button doing nothing at all, and like most reports in this thread, my left navigation button needs more of a press than the rest of the keys.

Normally I'd just open it up and fix / investigate this but there's no obvious screws and someone already said it's well sealed. Shame the hardware's not as 'open' and the software.