Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- Bram77 - 2011-10-18

I've mailed the Pulse Eight support and explained the problems. I've also referred to this thread so they can read all the info. Hopefully I'll get a response (or even better: a new remote) soon Smile

- Malard - 2011-10-18

SkItZo Wrote:Ok, have a VERY strange problem occuring with my remote. Configured the red button as a start up for XBMC by assigning Shift+F3 in the start up shortcut, also have the red button configured to run the XBMC.ShutDown() command in my xml file. I started up XBMC by double clicking the short cut and exited by pressing the red button no problems, i then stared xbmc by pressing the red button, tried to exit by pressing the red button but nothing happened. Exited XBMC and for some reason the red button is now executing CTRL+ALT??

I've tried uninstalling all the drivers for it, unplugging the dongle, removing the batteries for over 5 minutes, all to no avail.

EDIT: Ok, seems to be a bug in the software of the device, i have just done the same thing on the blue button with the exact same result.

The remote doesnt learn anything new, it will always send Shift+F3 F4 etc

- fungify - 2011-10-19

Received my remote today and these are my observations if anyone cares.

Look & feel
The remote looks really nice and have a nice feel in the hand. I'm not particularly fond of the rubber buttons though - they seem to attract dust as a magnet. Five minutes after unwrapping the remote I've already cleaned it once - and I'm not particularly neat.
The rattling inside the remote is quite unsettling - first thought is that something is broken, and the solution as a whole seems kinda MacGywer-like. But it works most of the time. Once in a while the little ball seems to be stuck on the wrong side - so that when turning the remote around, the upper side is still disabled. This can be solve by gently shaking the remote.

Range
Yes - the remote definitely has some problems in this respect. I know the current theory is something to do with power shortage in the USB or something - which might be true as well. But the receiver definitely has problems with interference from pretty much anything. I hooked the receiver to the back of my HTPC (directly into motherboard Zotac H55) and the range was appaling. A measely 0,5m or so. I then used a standard USB extender cable to move the reciever 1m above the PC, and this extended the range to at least 4m. Mind you - there was nothing else using RF.

The left click problem
Yes - I seem to be experiencing this as well - at least if I understand the problem correctly. This is what I'm seing. When sitting directly in front of the reciever and pressing left or right several times in a row at fast as I can, it's quite easy to see that some of the left click keys are missed. The left button is also able to be pressed further down than the right click button.

Volume
This might not be a problem with the remote but with Windows. I could definately need some advice in any case. Some of the buttons are captured by Windows (Server 2008 R2) and not XBMC. This means that the volume buttons control the system volume and not the volume of XBMC (which means that I can't see the current volume level in the gui). That is quite annoying.

Key configuration
I did not expect all the keys to function to my needs when I received the remote - and I was not disappointed Smile No product is one-size-fits-all and of course this isn't either. I would like to see some more user friendly way of configuring the keys for any remote inside XBMC though - as the current XML-files are a bit scary if you haven't messed with them before.

Overall
As the above points might suggest, I'm a bit conflicted about this remote. It's not that it isn't good - it's more the fact that the remote in itself is conflicted. The design and overall though seems to be well designed and carefully planned, but the hardware seems to be rather shoddy.
But hey - I've only used the remote for the last few hours. My view might change in the coming days.

FFY

- Malard - 2011-10-19

fungify Wrote:Received my remote today and these are my observations if anyone cares.

Look & feel
The remote looks really nice and have a nice feel in the hand. I'm not particularly fond of the rubber buttons though - they seem to attract dust as a magnet. Five minutes after unwrapping the remote I've already cleaned it once - and I'm not particularly neat.
The rattling inside the remote is quite unsettling - first thought is that something is broken, and the solution as a whole seems kinda MacGywer-like. But it works most of the time. Once in a while the little ball seems to be stuck on the wrong side - so that when turning the remote around, the upper side is still disabled. This can be solve by gently shaking the remote.

Range
Yes - the remote definitely has some problems in this respect. I know the current theory is something to do with power shortage in the USB or something - which might be true as well. But the receiver definitely has problems with interference from pretty much anything. I hooked the receiver to the back of my HTPC (directly into motherboard Zotac H55) and the range was appaling. A measely 0,5m or so. I then used a standard USB extender cable to move the reciever 1m above the PC, and this extended the range to at least 4m. Mind you - there was nothing else using RF.

The left click problem
Yes - I seem to be experiencing this as well - at least if I understand the problem correctly. This is what I'm seing. When sitting directly in front of the reciever and pressing left or right several times in a row at fast as I can, it's quite easy to see that some of the left click keys are missed. The left button is also able to be pressed further down than the right click button.

Volume
This might not be a problem with the remote but with Windows. I could definately need some advice in any case. Some of the buttons are captured by Windows (Server 2008 R2) and not XBMC. This means that the volume buttons control the system volume and not the volume of XBMC (which means that I can't see the current volume level in the gui). That is quite annoying.

Key configuration
I did not expect all the keys to function to my needs when I received the remote - and I was not disappointed Smile No product is one-size-fits-all and of course this isn't either. I would like to see some more user friendly way of configuring the keys for any remote inside XBMC though - as the current XML-files are a bit scary if you haven't messed with them before.

Overall
As the above points might suggest, I'm a bit conflicted about this remote. It's not that it isn't good - it's more the fact that the remote in itself is conflicted. The design and overall though seems to be well designed and carefully planned, but the hardware seems to be rather shoddy.
But hey - I've only used the remote for the last few hours. My view might change in the coming days.

FFY

Thanks for the review, anyone with a left click or range issue should lodge a ticket, we will get the remote switched out at no cost to you.

Motorola got back in touch today, to say they have identified the cause of the left click issue which some users have had, and that it will be fully resolved in future batches. Anyone still experiencing it we (Pulse-Eight) will just swap your existing remote for a new one.

- fungify - 2011-10-20

Malard Wrote:anyone with a left click or range issue should lodge a ticket, we will get the remote switched out at no cost to you.
Thanks - will do.

Been using the remote for a few more hours and starting to warm to it. Especially when I started making sense of the button programming. It's really nice to be able to map e.g. the subtitle script to the user button. Especially the wife appreciates being able to fetch subs with a single keypress - now that's something that really feels like modern technology.

Looking forward to a new remote. I'm sure that I'll be utter praises when the hardware problems have been resolved.

EDIT: Seems like my volume problem is solved in the nightlies according to http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109667. I'll try that tomorrow.

FFY

- dan991199 - 2011-10-21

anyone else's remote stuck in keyboard mode?

this happened 2 days ago and nothing i do will remedy the issue.

Huh

- Malard - 2011-10-22

dan991199 Wrote:anyone else's remote stuck in keyboard mode?

this happened 2 days ago and nothing i do will remedy the issue.

Huh

try taking the batteries out, leave them out for a few minutes then put it back in, if its still an issue contact pulse-eight support

- josh4trunks - 2011-10-25

I put a review on the pulse eight site for the nyxboard. I said it had a left click problem, I just recieved a replacement and that problem is gone. But range issue didn't go away (not a problem when I put the dongle in line of sight)

- Bram77 - 2011-10-25

I've returned mine too. Because of the left click and range problems. I sure hope I won't have to return it again because the range issue isn't fixed with the replacement!

- wolfbiker - 2011-10-27

i returned mine for a refund but look forward to repurchasing again in a few months, assuming the range problems are resolved.

- kingmob - 2011-10-28

I just started testing and have similar problems as the rest, so I won't get into that.
However, I also have the problem of the remote putting the PC to sleep and immediately waking it up again! I've set up everything so that only the remote can wake-up the machine, therefore I know for sure it is the remote. Am I the only one experiencing this and how do I solve it? It is annoying having to remove the dongle just to switch of the machine :|

Using it on vista x64 btw.

- kiboy6 - 2011-10-30

Still haven't figured out a way to disable the auto search pop-up in XBMC when the remote is flipped over.

I gather the solution lies in configuring the peripherals in XBMC system menu...however when I select "peripherals" nothing happens at all.

Do I have to configure some other xml in order to access the peripherals setting?

I am using 29.10.11 windows nightly, with the default keyboard.nyxboard.xml it comes with.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me solve this.

- Malard - 2011-10-30

kiboy6 Wrote:Still haven't figured out a way to disable the auto search pop-up in XBMC when the remote is flipped over.

I gather the solution lies in configuring the peripherals in XBMC system menu...however when I select "peripherals" nothing happens at all.

Do I have to configure some other xml in order to access the peripherals setting?

I am using 29.10.11 windows nightly, with the default keyboard.nyxboard.xml it comes with.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me solve this.

The skin you are using is probably not updated enough, use confluence instead to go into this menu

- kiboy6 - 2011-10-31

Malard Wrote:The skin you are using is probably not updated enough, use confluence instead to go into this menu

Aha...that did the trick....thanks very much. (Although I had to download and use Transparency SVN instead of Confluence with latest nightlies - Confluence let me into the peripherals submenu, but would not let me press "OK to save the settings).

Anyway..all good now. Many thanks.

- hasselhof - 2011-11-01

Malard Wrote:Thanks for the review, anyone with a left click or range issue should lodge a ticket, we will get the remote switched out at no cost to you.

Motorola got back in touch today, to say they have identified the cause of the left click issue which some users have had, and that it will be fully resolved in future batches. Anyone still experiencing it we (Pulse-Eight) will just swap your existing remote for a new one.

Hi,

I'm on my second remote, returned my first one due to range and left click problems, received my second one today and I can report back that the range has improved greatly, but the left button problem still persists all be it a tiny little bit better. The right navigational button makes the clicking sound you would expect and it moves on the screen, as does the up and down button, but nothing happens when you here the click from the left navigational button it only moves when you depress it hard, the is very annoying, my wife doesn't get on with it at all.I will open another ticket with Pulse-Eight to get it swapped, but it has already cost me £2.73 to send it back the first time,plus the send back fee for sending back my second remote. I didn't get any monies refunded to me as I was under the impression it would be at no extra cost to me. But as I said the range is much better making it a pleasure to use apart from the left click problem.I will let you know how I get on.Rolleyes