Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- Daydream - 2011-04-07

No crazy macros?? Actually if I can't do crazy macros I'll be seriously upset. Which goes to prove that you can't please everybody.

So Malard, congrats on creating this product! I like it as it is, at this price range. Surely if feasible, a wider range of products, from the dumb-down version to some controlling-Cardassian-warships version would please more people. It's very unlikely one thing will please everybody (can it glow blue on front face and orange on the keyboard? Smile)

On the more serious side, just a question: is it Z-wave compatible (you know, dim the lights, appliances, etc). If it's not, can it be, in the future? Between $60 and $300 a Harmony-something, there is more than one price point that's acceptable depending on the features added/possible to implement.

- kortina - 2011-04-07

@teaguecl: Thanks for the feedback

I always assumed that many people had the issue of not being able to put the TV remote away because of just one feature that couldnt be done.

I am not really a fan of the Harmony way of life, their Macros in my experience are unreliable and the lag from the remotes are close to unbearable.

Before the Harmony fan boys chime in, I know that the Harmony has it's own troubleshooting thingy. But take a step back for a second and ask yourself "When did my home entertainment system get so difficult that I need a remote that has a built in troubleshooting function"

What many other probably also do not realiase is the fact that logictec are collecting information about EVERY device that you have in your lounge room, and how you connect them together. This is very valuable information.

teaguecl Wrote:Great suggestions Kortina.

I am not certaion that we need any more buttons for PVR, but if we do they should be flagged early, I don't want this new remote to be outdated once the PVR functions go mainstream in XBMC.

To be honest I don't see myself ever wanting to use the flip side of the remote. I think that there should be a second remote that is the "Simple-XBMC" remote without the keyboard stuff. Maybe a bit cheaper for the simple version.

- ZERO <ibis> - 2011-04-07

Will buy after seeing the reviews when it comes out!

- kortina - 2011-04-07

Daydream Wrote:No crazy macros?? Actually if I can't do crazy macros I'll be seriously upset.

Daydream, I am not against the remote performing crazy macro's, This should be a programmable option.

EG: Connect the remote via MicroUSB, fire up a simple app and tell the GUI make button x send "TV On", "Amp On", "XBOX360 On", "PayTV Box On", "Outdated DVD Player On" etc.

But for the simple users, configuring the remote to get the "TV Power" button to send the single command ("TV Power") would be fine.

The big question you need to ask yourself is "Why do I still bother with my DVD player when XBMC does everything".

Once you come the realisation that LESS is MORE, and you don't have 10 devices hanging off your TV, then your remote issues fade to some VERY simple use cases that can be solved by a very simple remote.

XBMC has done an fantastic job of sending my DVD, BluRay and a few other devices to the bin. My Wife loves it, and my friends are very impressed.

- ZERO <ibis> - 2011-04-07

The one thing that I worry about is indication of which device your controlling. Most tv remotes have an led that tells you which mode it is in so that you know what device your supposed to be talking to. Really the only things I care to have control over are the following and I think this is normal for most anyone:
TV -turn on and off, change input
Cable Box -change channel so I need numbers, menu button, DVR button
Amp -change input, numbers are nice for this b/c I just press 2 for the tv and 7 for the computer
XBMC -All the commands that I get having a mouse and keyboard.

Also if a backlight one came out how long before release? I may just hold out for that version.

- Daydream - 2011-04-07

kortina Wrote:Daydream, I am not against the remote performing crazy macro's, This should be a programmable option.

[...]
The big question you need to ask yourself is "Why do I still bother with my DVD player when XBMC does everything".

We're in agreement, I've done that already. First went the DVD player, than the 400 Disc Sony DVD player, than the Blu-Ray player, then the Tivo. Smile There's a 16TB array holding the magic now. My macros are aimed more at what you'd call appliances not necessarily AV electronics, hence my Z-Wave question.

Anyways the problem I think it's a bit different then backlit/macros/stand/aerodynamic shape, whatnot. The moment it was said it's an XBMC remote, made purposely to work with XBMC (and any of its particular commands/controls) everybody went "Hooooray!". But when it was hinted that the remote is IR and RF and who knows what else, everybody went crazy (in the most friendly, constructive way). Because there is no perfect Remote yet (like the manufacturers are blind) and the ones getting close to being very good are really expensive.

So now is "can we have the long-waited universal remote control that is really universal -> can it start my 2011 car too, be $60 and be an XBMC remote at the same time?" That's a different thing. As Malard have to do this as a business not on enthusiasm alone, he needs to filter through what's doable now, what's doable later and what's doable when the world ends Smile.

- jalyst - 2011-04-07

@Malard, few minutes to clear this up?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=768972#post768972

Thanks.

- d'Wooluf - 2011-04-07

Malard Wrote:I am working on a skin designed for the remote, as such things like the Red Green Yellow Blue buttons will get used as soft-keys to access various sub functions.

To me, the most interesting part of the whole thread. I've thought for a while that something like this is exactly what xbmc needs.

When I went shopping for remotes a year or two ago, I found some simple mce remotes (and build quality not the best) that were more expensive than this. I don't think the price is unreasonable.

- jalyst - 2011-04-07

price is fine, dunno why people are bitching about that, specially if it's a decent UR.

- harryzimm - 2011-04-07

This remote looks excellent but i have to agree with others that a having a back light is very important. I'm not sure about the glow in the dark buttons. Can anybody comment on how effective they are?

cheers

- Malard - 2011-04-07

ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:The one thing that I worry about is indication of which device your controlling. Most tv remotes have an led that tells you which mode it is in so that you know what device your supposed to be talking to. Really the only things I care to have control over are the following and I think this is normal for most anyone:
TV -turn on and off, change input
Cable Box -change channel so I need numbers, menu button, DVR button
Amp -change input, numbers are nice for this b/c I just press 2 for the tv and 7 for the computer
XBMC -All the commands that I get having a mouse and keyboard.

Also if a backlight one came out how long before release? I may just hold out for that version.

Back lit wont likely be in this version, it would push the release date back too much. The top left key illuminates if your in TV mode, by default its unlit and in XBMC mode

- Malard - 2011-04-07

jalyst Wrote:@Malard

To what extent is this a "true" universal remote?
Even if it's no better than a harmony one in terms of programmability I'll be happy.
But any less & it'd be a disappointment, unless the keyb/mouse functionality is stellar.

I currently use a Harmony One and a URC MX-980...
The latter's used far more as it's far more versatile, but the former's fun too.

Thanks!

But the Boxee remote isn't also a IR universal (learning/programmable) remote is it?
That's a big feature this has that the boxee remote doesn't, assuming it's UR aspect isn't flakey/limited.

I'd love to know that too, proper trackpad or mamepad Big Grin

Its an 8 way d-pad, but it moves quite smoothly, so it 'fills in the gaps between, depending on the pressure applied to any of the directional keys'

Its hard to explain, but you can use it like a normal mouse but you have to push down hard on it to move it around, rather than just be touch sensitive like you would have on a laptop f.ex

- tyers - 2011-04-07

Malard Wrote:The top left key illuminates if your in TV mode, by default its unlit and in XBMC mode

Does this mean that the remote will only control 2 devices max (XBMC / TV)? It would be awesome if this could replace all remotes (TV / PVR / AMP)!

Don't get me wrong this is not a deal breaker, but it would make it have a higher WAF if only 1 remote could control everything.

Cheers

ps. Lack of Backlight / Glowkeys is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

- jalyst - 2011-04-07

Malard Wrote:Its an 8 way d-pad, but it moves quite smoothly, so it 'fills in the gaps between, depending on the pressure applied to any of the directional keys'

Its hard to explain, but you can use it like a normal mouse but you have to push down hard on it to move it around, rather than just be touch sensitive like you would have on a laptop f.ex

@Malard...
Thanks, that was joethefox's question, now mine:

jalyst Wrote:To what extent is this a "true" universal remote?
What areas "need work" compared to say the H1?

Even if it's no better than a harmony one in terms of programmability I'll be happy.
But any less & it'd be a disappointment, unless the keyb/mouse functionality is stellar.

I currently use a Harmony One and a URC MX-980...
The latter's used far more as it's far more versatile, but the former's fun too.

Thank-you.

- Axodious - 2011-04-07

I like the overall design of the remote (aside from the 80s VCR style) however, I'm not so sure about the idea of flipping the remote back and forth to do certain commands. It's a little bit awkward having to constantly flip over the remote because the button isn't on the remote side, the keyboard side should be a compliment not a requirement. I don't think I would enjoy using the remote to control my PVR (never mind my Denon >_<). However, saying that I would like a remote that just works with XBMC; I currently use an Antec Fusion case with the iMon IR receiver and a Harmony 880 and unless you know what key does what already it's a little difficult to work with.

P.S.
Glowing/Backlit keys don't matter to me.