Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- h.udo - 2011-04-08

I would never pay 500 quid for a remote. I have dogs and cats. I tend to buy things cheap to replace after the dog chews them.

h.udo

- donruss - 2011-04-08

Nice remote, price isnt really a bother for me considerig it is rf as well but it lacks features that are necessary today.

1. more buttons: take cues from the logitech line of remotes. They are great for TRUE universal control.
2. Backligting is a must even glow in the dark buttons would be a plus. I have a great sony universale remote that sits in my junk drwaer because i cant navigate it without turning on the lights.
3. i think the button layout could be a little better, the play, pause, rewind, and fast forward buttons could also be in a d pad formation for easier navigation. left=rewind, right=fforward down=stop up=pause/play. unless it already works that way then number 3 is not needed.

I think i just described my dream remote.

- commando_j - 2011-04-08

As a Rii wireless mini remote user (x2), Backlight comes in handy in a dark room. I also have a Sony amp remote with glow keys, so if they glow nicely it would be a good alternative.

For the F-keys, which are also on the Rii remote, this has saved me some headaches. When in full screen and XBMC crashes I have no way to kill XBMC and restart it in Ubuntu. My only option is to restart the computer because all normal keyboard functions no longer work. Except if I press CTRL-ALT-F1 which brings me to the command prompt and then I can do CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot the computer.

And I know what you mean about the D pad having to be pressed hard to use as a mouse. I had another full size wireless keyboard with D pad for a mouse. It was ok at lower res, but at 1920x1080 you fell like screaming at the mouse to get across the screen faster; it won't be a good option in these cases.

- rflores2323 - 2011-04-08

not to jump to far ahead but when do you plan on having hte V2 out that works with the atv2. Im sure you will get alot more sales wtih being compatible.

- methcat - 2011-04-08

Malard Wrote:The thing about remote controls is that you only need a handful of keys from each device, as such, the volume is probably the only thing you need on the amp, the number keys get used by your Cable or Satellite box and the power key used by the TV (for example)

There are 35 keys, each key can be programmed to whatever you want. It's done by learning the individual key from that remote by pointing each device in front of the Nyxboard

i'm guessing that if different device commands can be programmed on the same layout, ie, the volume drives the amp, and the numbers drive the dvr, is there two full sets of programmable buttons? ie, tv is one complete set and pc is another? or does the pc set always run xbmc/pc features and the tv is the programmable set?

- recoil - 2011-04-09

I've been struggling to get a working remote option for XBMC and would happily spend the $$$ to get this, especially because a portion of it goes as a donation. Smile

I do have a question on its compatibility. If I purchase said remote, would I be able to get my Logitech Harmony 900 to learn all its commands? I realize this sounds silly to pay $$$ for a remote then put it in a drawer, but ideally, I'd like my one remote that controls everything in my entertainment center to also control XBMC. To date, I haven't found something that will do that well. If this remote will, I'd probably want to consolidate it in.

- teaguecl - 2011-04-09

recoil Wrote:I realize this sounds silly to pay $$$ for a remote then put it in a drawer, but ideally, I'd like my one remote that controls everything in my entertainment center to also control XBMC.

If I understand you properly, you'd like to purchase this remote and then use it's "magic xbmc codes" to program your Harmony 900 so that it can control XBMC? If so, that's a really bad idea. There's no secret sauce in this remote, you do not need it in order to teach your Harmony how to talk to XBMC. Or am I completely missing your question?

- ubuntuf4n - 2011-04-09

This sounds pretty cool!

I am wondering how it actually feels in terms of ergonomic,
but I am sure that motorola knows how to produce high-quality products.

Backlit isn't important for me, imho it would be just another energy-consumer.

Looking forward for some nice shots :-)

Cheers

- Laciecat - 2011-04-09

Don't want to stick my nose into something that might have been discussed already, but do any of you guys have a Droid or iPhone?

Free App
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6BqsKj87p8

- Malard - 2011-04-09

methcat Wrote:i'm guessing that if different device commands can be programmed on the same layout, ie, the volume drives the amp, and the numbers drive the dvr, is there two full sets of programmable buttons? ie, tv is one complete set and pc is another? or does the pc set always run xbmc/pc features and the tv is the programmable set?

There is a toggle key (top left) which switches between RF mode and IR mode, the RF mode is fixed and will send commands to the usb dongle, the IR mode is shipped blank, and you have to map those keys however you see fit.

- Malard - 2011-04-09

Laciecat Wrote:Don't want to stick my nose into something that might have been discussed already, but do any of you guys have a Droid or iPhone?

Free App
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6BqsKj87p8

Hi laciecat, many people do this and I think its great, however unless you want to buy a droid specifically to use as a remote and leave it on the coffee table, its not ideal in a family setting Smile Which is what this remote is aimed for

- ZERO <ibis> - 2011-04-10

Malard Wrote:The thing about remote controls is that you only need a handful of keys from each device, as such, the volume is probably the only thing you need on the amp, the number keys get used by your Cable or Satellite box and the power key used by the TV (for example)

There are 35 keys, each key can be programmed to whatever you want. It's done by learning the individual key from that remote by pointing each device in front of the Nyxboard

While I do see the point in this you will run into problems when you want to be able to do something like switch inputs as two devices may want to be able to use the same button to do this. Or is it possible to have it learn macro functions like when I press a button it will send out a few commands so that it turns on multiple devices at once or changes all of their inputs at the same time?

- Malard - 2011-04-10

ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:While I do see the point in this you will run into problems when you want to be able to do something like switch inputs as two devices may want to be able to use the same button to do this. Or is it possible to have it learn macro functions like when I press a button it will send out a few commands so that it turns on multiple devices at once or changes all of their inputs at the same time?

No, there is no macro functions, but we should have input control's handled soon via a different device

- dandirk - 2011-04-10

teaguecl Wrote:If I understand you properly, you'd like to purchase this remote and then use it's "magic xbmc codes" to program your Harmony 900 so that it can control XBMC? If so, that's a really bad idea. There's no secret sauce in this remote, you do not need it in order to teach your Harmony how to talk to XBMC. Or am I completely missing your question?

Well from what I have read... Remote setup for XBMC windows is not really plug'n'play, like it is with the LIVE/LINUX versions.

From other posts it sounds like the RF dongle and remote are built specifically to be plug'n'play (the ir is blank? Having the same issues as an MCE remoteHuh).

Don't know if the harmony one is rf, but if you can get the rf codes into a better universal remote (I have a URC mx-810 rf remote), simplicity is worth $$$ to some people (imho).

Though I am technical, I have learned the value of default functionality. I was looking into moving to windows XBMC for the netflix app, but the remote setup complexity is causing me to balk.

I would pay $60 to get the "magic" codes that work with XBMC out of the box.

Though I could be entirely mistaken... maybe the remote control support for windows has improved and I am reading old info.

- jalyst - 2011-04-11

Malard Wrote:Hi, I can confirm it wont come close to a URC MX-980 , nor will it cost £500 Wink

That's "sticker price"....
You can get it for waaaay less if you search carefully.
But yeah, different remotes.

ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:While I do see the point in this you will run into problems when you want to be able to do something like switch inputs as two devices may want to be able to use the same button to do this. Or is it possible to have it learn macro functions like when I press a button it will send out a few commands so that it turns on multiple devices at once or changes all of their inputs at the same time?

This is the kind of thing i was talking about, no macro programmability = not true universal remote.*
Just ensure you make that clear in your advertising, as lots of people will be easily misled & you wouldn't want that Wink

I'm still getting one though, for "shit and giggles"! Big Grin
*even h1 does something that closely approximates this.

Malard Wrote:No, there is no macro functions, but we should have input control's handled soon via a different device

Interesting... sounding a bit closer to h1 in functionality/usability... can you elaborate?