Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- grywnn - 2011-01-04

stoli Wrote:And if I am not mistaken there is no way (yet) to call a script or other add-on via the json interface, is there?
You're right.
Call it cheating Big Grin : I'm using the http api in some places, planning to replace all missing JSON functions as the api evolves.

- grywnn - 2011-01-05

Missed to answer this one:
coercity Wrote:hi, thanks for this really nice app and definitly worth the price.
my own requests :
-browse music by year ( sort albums by year)
-browse movies by director ( like albums by artists
-music playlist managing

thank you !

Music by year: Possible. Will be added.
Movies by director: Don't know if i can get director info at list level, will give it a try.
Music playlist managing: Working on it atm Smile

- Scottland - 2011-01-05

Hi,

I'm a new XBMC user, and just started using this app the other day. I've read back a few pages and read some references to the keyboard not working in the iTunes version - is this still the case?

Thanks Smile

- grywnn - 2011-01-06

Scottland Wrote:Hi,

I'm a new XBMC user, and just started using this app the other day. I've read back a few pages and read some references to the keyboard not working in the iTunes version - is this still the case?

Thanks Smile

No: The virtual keyboard is available in the appstore version.

- Kenyan - 2011-01-07

Hey there, bought your app last week. It's awesome. I've been lurking here for awhile slowly getting better at using xbmc and such.

Anyways the question I had is; At what point does the "library" on the ipad match up or sync with what is actually in xbmc.

For example after I had already seen that all my movies were showing up on the ipad, the next day I had added a movie to xbmc, scrapped it, updated library and such. Then I turned on ipad, turned on xbmc commander, it connected to my server, but the new movie I had added didn't show up. I disconnect and reconnected but it still wouldn't show up.

Was just wondering what are the "requirements" for that to happen, I'm sure its simple, I'm just confused because I somehow did it for a full season of arrested development (newly added) but I don't know what comibination of things i did worked.

Sorry for babbling, hopefully that makes sense.

- grywnn - 2011-01-07

Hi Kenyan,

you're making perfect sense Wink
What you're experiencing is the drawback of iOS 4.2 multitasking: The movie list is only refreshed if the app completely quits or gets a memory warning.
But there's a way to manually refresh:
In the options menu, hit the "refresh" button left of the search bar. This should refetch the movie list.

I'll think about adding a background check to automagically refresh the lists when new items are detected.

- Paulkai - 2011-01-07

I really enjoy this app by far the best remote for xbmc, one question, I have used ultimote, a feature he had for the music was you could actually listen to music through app on the iPad, will this be possible with commander app??

- Kenyan - 2011-01-07

grywnn Wrote:Hi Kenyan,

you're making perfect sense Wink
What you're experiencing is the drawback of iOS 4.2 multitasking: The movie list is only refreshed if the app completely quits or gets a memory warning.
But there's a way to manually refresh:
In the options menu, hit the "refresh" button left of the search bar. This should refetch the movie list.

I'll think about adding a background check to automagically refresh the lists when new items are detected.

Ah k, had to exit xbmc, wait for ipad to time out, restart xbmc, then refresh information on ipad and it worked. Awesome. Big Grin

My only suggestion would be if you could zoom out on the bookshelf/case and see more movies at a time? I know for some people it might be getting on the small side, but on the other hand you could also zoom in on the bookshelf.

- Ludeboy12 - 2011-01-07

Wow this remote is absolutely amazing. Love it. Great job.

- Scottland - 2011-01-07

grywnn Wrote:No: The virtual keyboard is available in the appstore version.

Ah ok, must be something I'm doing wrong then as it doesn't appear to work (doesn't sent keystrokes). I'll have a play around see if I can get it working.

Thanks

- grywnn - 2011-01-07

Quote:Ah ok, must be something I'm doing wrong then as it doesn't appear to work (doesn't sent keystrokes). I'll have a play around see if I can get it working.
For XBMC commands like "p" for play, try sending CAPITAL letters.
I've had the choice between sending one of two types of keyboard events, the first working flawless with XBMCs menus, but not working at all when you need to input some text. The other working with text inputs, but not working with lower case letters on the menus.
Since the main use of the keyboard should be to input text, i chose the later.

Quote:My only suggestion would be if you could zoom out on the bookshelf/case and see more movies at a time? I know for some people it might be getting on the small side, but on the other hand you could also zoom in on the bookshelf.
While i like the idea, this won't be easy to accomplish. At least not with zooming gestures, which would be awesome Smile
I might add an option to the layout settings to change the number of items per row though... will think about it Smile

Quote:I really enjoy this app by far the best remote for xbmc, one question, I have used ultimote, a feature he had for the music was you could actually listen to music through app on the iPad, will this be possible with commander app??
No plans yet, but who knows...?

- Scottland - 2011-01-07

grywnn Wrote:For XBMC commands like "p" for play, try sending CAPITAL letters.
I've had the choice between sending one of two types of keyboard events, the first working flawless with XBMCs menus, but not working at all when you need to input some text. The other working with text inputs, but not working with lower case letters on the menus.
Since the main use of the keyboard should be to input text, i chose the later.

Haven't tried the keyboard for xbmc commands, but for text entry it doesn't seem to work at all. I'll try with caps lock on and see if that makes any difference. There's no options in xbmc that need enabling are there?

Thanks for your help

- grywnn - 2011-01-07

Scottland Wrote:Haven't tried the keyboard for xbmc commands, but for text entry it doesn't seem to work at all. I'll try with caps lock on and see if that makes any difference. There's no options in xbmc that need enabling are there?

Thanks for your help

No options i know of.
I'll re-check the keyboard myself.
Just to be sure: You're not trying to interact with some other program than XBMC, are you? Cause that won't work. Keystrokes are send to XBMC only, and not to the underlying OS.

- Scottland - 2011-01-07

grywnn Wrote:No options i know of.
I'll re-check the keyboard myself.
Just to be sure: You're not trying to interact with some other program than XBMC, are you? Cause that won't work. Keystrokes are send to XBMC only, and not to the underlying OS.

No, I'm trying to use the search options for various addons within xbmc such as Youtube etc. I'll try again when I get home Smile

- steve1977 - 2011-01-07

I somehow remember that XBMC Commander doesn't work with the centralized mysql database. Is my memory correct and/or is there a solution for this yet?