Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- grywnn - 2011-04-03

I'm having trouble to reproduce the shortcuts-not-working issue.
It works without problems in all my test setups.
To narrow this down i'd like to have some more information:
Could someone with non working shortcuts please
- tell me your XBMC version & OS it's running on
- on the ipad: Try to manually add a shortcut item and see if that one works

Quote:and just a hint: there are no control buttons on the iphone4 with xbmc commander, if in offline modes (at remotecontrol screen, button controls or shortcuts - there the screen is empty)
Remote control buttons in offline mode don't make much sense, that's why i'm hiding them Smile

Quote:Hi Grywnn
Just wondered have you added sorttitle yet if so do I need to rescrape for it to work
Cheers Dibsta
Keep in mind that 2.0 was submitted to apple nearly two weeks ago, so the answer is no.

Quote:Is there a way to download (pay of course) and test an application that has already published on appstore and install it on the emulator iPhone/iPad SDK ?

I want to buy iPad or iPhone for xbmc control but first I really want to test it, how it works.
Not that i know, but you might want to ask uncle google about it.

Quote:Anyone else notice that the latest update breaks movie sets on the iPad?

Edit: Seems to related to the latest xbmc build. Also the sort order seemed to be messed when sorting by recently added. Completely different to what I see within xbmc.
I'm running the pvr built at home, and the latest update ignores sets completely, flattening the whole movie structure. I'll integrate this as soon as it gets more stable.

Quote:Browsing through my music today and was wondering if there is a possibility to have Commander sort the albums of one artist by year in stead of name. So when I'm in artist view, select an artist, the albums would be sorted by year.
I'll update this. Right now its sorted by id.

Quote:The gesture for back/escape has changed from a two finger tap to a double tap.
I've changed this to make navigation with the iphone easier.
I usually navigate with my thumb only, which makes two finger gestures a bit hard :-)
Btw: The two finger swipe will make a reappearance in the next update.

- Bkam - 2011-04-03

- tell me your XBMC version & OS it's running on : Win 7 , xbmc 10.1 , Ipad IOS 4.2
- on the ipad: Try to manually add a shortcut item and see if that one works : tried it and it dont help cant click on it either.

Its just Info, OSD, Meny and Subtitles that dont work .

Tried remove the app and re download it but still same problem Sad

But i really love the new fanart view , really nice done mate Smile

- meridius - 2011-04-03

I have it on the iphone and the shortcuts that are not working are,

Info, OSD, Menu, Subtitles.

tell me your XBMC version & OS it's running on :Windows 7 XBMC 10.1, Iphone 3gs 4.2.1

- waltermalter - 2011-04-03

Shortcuts are not working for me either. this is true for both devices (iPad and iPhone).
The main part of the virtual keyboard is also not working. Only special characters (like ESC) are working.

XBMC: 10.1
iPad: IOS 4.2.1
iPhone: IOS 4.2.1

Cheers,Walter

- rolapinou - 2011-04-04

Hi grywnn,

XBMC: 10.1
iPad: IOS 4.3.1
iPhone: IOS 4.3.1 (not tested)

I tried to add a "language" button and it doesn't work, as well as the other shortcuts.
So strange you can't reproduce the problem

- grywnn - 2011-04-04

Whew.
Finally found it.
Had to boot into Windows 7 to figure this one out.

When sending keyboard events, i can tag them as "virtual". This is required for the virtual keyboard to work when entering text.
Now at some point the "virtual" tag slipped into the menu commands.
While this is working fine on Linux and OS X, virtual key events seem to be ignored in Windows 7 if your focus isn't on something that requires text input.

I've fixed this by removing the virtual tag from shortcut commands, update will be released today.
This update will also see the return of the two finger scroll gesture.

- rolapinou - 2011-04-04

grywnn Wrote:Whew.
Finally found it.
Had to boot into Windows 7 to figure this one out.

When sending keyboard events, i can tag them as "virtual". This is required for the virtual keyboard to work when entering text.
Now at some point the "virtual" tag slipped into the menu commands.
While this is working fine on Linux and OS X, virtual key events seem to be ignored in Windows 7 if your focus isn't on something that requires text input.

I've fixed this by removing the virtual tag from shortcut commands, update will be released today.
This update will also see the return of the two finger scroll gesture.

Excellent news.

- BigCheese - 2011-04-04

grywnn Wrote:Remote control buttons in offline mode don't make much sense, that's why i'm hiding them Smile
Ah, with new version at least a text is displayed...
(before the empty screens looks some kind of empty Wink

ähm... is here the right place for featurerequest? Smile
- How about a search option? e.g. I want to see Spiderman, how can i access fast the info page for spiderman where i can start the film?
can i type somewhere "spi" and geht the resultlist with every spi in it to get quick to the description?

- how about an "XBMC Start" Button? I would have no problem to install a small application optionaly which sits on the mac or pc and waits for a special command from xbmc commander, to start xbmc on the mac or pc Smile
Because, I often sit in the living room and want to play something, but forgot to start xbmc Sad so i have to grab extra the wireless keyboard or launch vnc to start ist...

cheers and keep up the great work Smile
bigcheese

- Bkam - 2011-04-04

BigCheese Wrote:I often sit in the living room and want to play something, but forgot to start xbmc Sad so i have to grab extra the wireless keyboard or launch vnc to start ist...

bigcheese

Then perhaps this app is what you need , http://mobilemouse.com/ Smile

- BigCheese - 2011-04-04

Bkam Wrote:Then perhaps this app is what you need , http://mobilemouse.com/ Smile
Hi Bkam,

thanks for the suggestion - i already own this app for a long time....
Of course there are more ways to start xbmc, but i don't want to start a different app to only start xbmc...
Smile

- briped - 2011-04-04

First: Awesome App, by far the best XBMC "Remote" I've tried so far.

Second, and sorry if this have been answered already, I've noticed a few irregularities/bugs:

1. Shortcuts that are regular "keyboard" presses doesn't work. I see that it is solved by an update released today, so one down (awesome) Smile

2. Setting the view to "Simple" rather than "Bookcase" (or "Thumbnails" rather than "Bookcase" in the Movies and TV Shows tabs) are sometimes lost. What I mean by lost is that my selection is reset back to Bookcase.

3. Sorting also sometimes doesn't "stick" between sessions.

4. I have added the MAC-address but I can't wake my HTPC. I haven't troubleshooted this at all, it might be as simple as me having forgot to enable WoL in the BIOS, will check, just wanted to type it here so I didn't forget it Smile

Feature-requests Smile
1. Is it possible to have the Youtube Trailer buttons launch the Youtube App rather than Safari? I don't know if you have access to do that with the API's available from Apple.

2. Ability to switch the "touch" area to be a mousepad rather than a "directional" pad. I know it's more than a directional pad, just putting it out here as a feature that could be "neat".

3. This is kinda a follow-up to number 2. When XBMC isn't running, make the "touchpad" area connect to something like the Logitech Touch Mouse Server? F.ex. someone developed an App for the Android that does just that (and only that): https://market.android.com/details?id=jmaxxz.airbornemouse&feature=search_result

I hope I don't get across all "demanding", that isn't the intention, just ideas/thoughts to make your awesome app even more awesome Smile

- BigCheese - 2011-04-05

briped Wrote:1. Is it possible to have the Youtube Trailer buttons launch the Youtube App rather than Safari? I don't know if you have access to do that with the API's available from Apple.
//signed
because youtube in browser i often got a: you need flash to play this video Smile

- NewFolk - 2011-04-05

Hello,
I have the problem on iphone. I can`t edit or add shortcuts (it`s no edit button) while on ipad everything is good.

And one feature-requests
Is it possible to make play/pause on a gestures by one tap. Like it is in xbmc remote app. It is one button for select and play.

- grywnn - 2011-04-05

Quote:ähm... is here the right place for featurerequest?
- How about a search option? e.g. I want to see Spiderman, how can i access fast the info page for spiderman where i can start the film?
can i type somewhere "spi" and geht the resultlist with every spi in it to get quick to the description?
Sure Smile
Atm when on the library screen, you can enter "spi" in the search bar in the options menu, and your list should update to reflect your search.
This is ipad only for now, i'll have to rethink the whole search mechanism for iphone / ipod since i'll have to place the search bar somewhere else.
It's on my todo list, i'll add this soon.

Quote:- how about an "XBMC Start" Button? I would have no problem to install a small application optionaly which sits on the mac or pc and waits for a special command from xbmc commander, to start xbmc on the mac or pc
Because, I often sit in the living room and want to play something, but forgot to start xbmc so i have to grab extra the wireless keyboard or launch vnc to start ist...
I'd like to avoid adding functionality that requires additional software installed.
a) This wouldn't be platform independent.
b) I'd like the app to be as simple to use / setup as posible
c) Once started theres no stopping - i've been asked things like this before: Support for http enabled a/v receivers; support to control external players; even home automation systems;
Thats why i've added the possibility to add custom http shortcuts (at least on the ipad atm; see above): You could create a small pearl / php / whatever script that - for example - starts xbmc, make it available through a webserver like apache, and add that url as a shortcut to xbmc commander.

Quote:2. Setting the view to "Simple" rather than "Bookcase" (or "Thumbnails" rather than "Bookcase" in the Movies and TV Shows tabs) are sometimes lost. What I mean by lost is that my selection is reset back to Bookcase.

3. Sorting also sometimes doesn't "stick" between sessions.
Two issues, same background.
I think i've found the reason for this one, lets call it a bug in the app.
I've forgotten to force iOS to write the user defaults to disk after changes. This is automatically done by iOS on a regular basis, so if you keep the app open a little after changing something it should be remembered.
I've adjusted it.
Won't make it into 2.0.2 (that's already in revision), but into the update after that.

Quote:4. I have added the MAC-address but I can't wake my HTPC. I haven't troubleshooted this at all, it might be as simple as me having forgot to enable WoL in the BIOS, will check, just wanted to type it here so I didn't forget it
good luck Wink

Quote:Feature-requests
1. Is it possible to have the Youtube Trailer buttons launch the Youtube App rather than Safari? I don't know if you have access to do that with the API's available from Apple.
Has been asked before, has been explained before:
iOS only allows to open links to videos in the Youtube app, not links to searches. Thats why safari kicks in.
I'd have to do the searching and presentation of the resulting list within the app, which will be a little challenging... but maybe this will allow me to fire up the trailer on the xbmc machine instead of the ipad (optional of course), which would be really cool. I'll experiment with that.

Quote:2. Ability to switch the "touch" area to be a mousepad rather than a "directional" pad. I know it's more than a directional pad, just putting it out here as a feature that could be "neat".

3. This is kinda a follow-up to number 2. When XBMC isn't running, make the "touchpad" area connect to something like the Logitech Touch Mouse Server? F.ex. someone developed an App for the Android that does just that (and only that): https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
2) I've never used a mouse with xbmc. I could add that, would be limited to xbmc though. I don't know if the event interface is responsive enough for this, will have to experiment...
3) see the comment about third party apps a few points above Smile

Quote:I have the problem on iphone. I can`t edit or add shortcuts (it`s no edit button) while on ipad everything is good.
I've mentioned this in the description of the "light" version of the app (which is still waiting for revision by apple...), but forgot to mention it in the description of the full-blown xbmc commander.
This is one of the limitations of the iphone variant:
- just one detail layout
- no fanart based layouts
- can't edit remote control shortcuts (will add this later)
I'll need to rewrite the menu completely, since it wouldn't fit on the iphones screen.

Quote:And one feature-requests
Is it possible to make play/pause on a gestures by one tap. Like it is in xbmc remote app. It is one button for select and play.
This shouldn't be too difficult, i'll have a look at it.

- toxotis70 - 2011-04-06

I just bought this great app for my ipad 2, and i have to say that is fantastic !

Only one question... is it possible to make movies presents like coverflow in itunes library in mac osx ?

Thank you again, keep up the good work...