XBMC Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- XBMC Community Forum (http://forum.xbmc.org)
+-- Forum: Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for XBMC (/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- touser - 2011-06-08 11:15

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but for the life of me I can't figure out how to "rotate" in the gesture area to control volume on my iPhone 4 running the latest stable xbmc. I've tried rotating my finger on screen in every direction possible with no luck, any help is greatly appreciated I feel pretty dumb for not being able to figure this out lol.

- grywnn - 2011-06-08 13:16

Hi there,

let me go through the last questions that have arisen:

@touser:
Use the gesture you use to rotate pictures, that is: Put to fingers on the pad and turn them, like turning a volume knob.

@kengelbr:
I did it this way because half of my own artist thumbs are square, while the other half is 4:3 or something similar.
So i went for the compromise and chose a near-square frame.
giving it some thought, i think i could well go to a square there. Put on my todo list Smile

@jackmeehan/indiana:
cast are currently not available through json, but will be in the upcoming eden version of xbmc.
Plot, seasons, no. of episodes are available. Number of watched episodes isn't (this would be my top).
I'm planning to look into displaying more details when eden is starting to get stable.

@indiana, concerning the bugs:
skin in film view: Can't reproduce. You're aware that you have to select the skin for each view independently?
Items in sets don't reopen: Again, can't reproduce. To look into this i'd need to know which XBMC version you're using.
Music search: Track serch isn't posible atm (technical reasons). I admit: The search is pretty basic. I'm "only" searching in the main label, that is in artist when in "group by artist" mode, and album titles otherwise.
An advanced search is somewhere on my todo list, but quite low - since i'll have to either maintain a local database for this (which will require quite a lot of code) or query xbmc with search requests (which isn't posible atm).

@gobba:
9777 is the port on which xbmcs event server is listening. This is fixed and doesn't need to be set up (thats why the remote works).
The port you enter in xbmc commanders setup should be the http port.
Although the http api will be deprecated soon, json commands too can be made through the http port Wink
So you'll need to set up xbmc commanders port to the same port thats set up in system->network->server

@xbmcger:
misplaced title will be fixed, np.

@ciki62:
i've added the searchbar to the iphone with the latest update, simply scroll "over the top" of a list, there it is.
Apart from that, this really is an ipad centered app, so i'll always do things ipad first, and then see how they work out on the phone.
That was the main reason i started coding this baby: There were quite a few decent iphone remotes, but no ipad app that satisfied my needs Smile

- lndiana - 2011-06-08 14:33

grywnn Wrote:Hi there,
@indiana, concerning the bugs:
skin in film view: Can't reproduce. You're aware that you have to select the skin for each view independently?
Items in sets don't reopen: Again, can't reproduce. To look into this i'd need to know which XBMC version you're using.
Music search: Track serch isn't posible atm (technical reasons). I admit: The search is pretty basic. I'm "only" searching in the main label, that is in artist when in "group by artist" mode, and album titles otherwise.
An advanced search is somewhere on my todo list, but quite low - since i'll have to either maintain a local database for this (which will require quite a lot of code) or query xbmc with search requests (which isn't posible atm).

Hi,
I'm in Dharma 10.1.
Yes I know that each mode has it own skin selection. I'll try to uninstall commander to see if it solve it..
Ok for the search of album AND artist. I'd wait.. Smile
Track is less important : the more important is the artist search in all sorting.
No need for an advanced serach for the moment..

skin in film view and film set problems : I'll try to reproduce it more precisaly and I'll tell you.

- sverreq - 2011-06-08 19:39

is it possible to stream vid, pics and audio to the ipad using Commander? Or will it only work as a remote when streaming from (in my case) Synology 211j to tv/stereo (with windows-computer as bridge)?

- touser - 2011-06-09 00:36

aha that works great, thank you I suppose I was confused because theres no on-screen display of volume change in xbmc when using this method.

- ECEC - 2011-06-09 01:06

Not surenif this is possible, but it would be trés neat if you could change fan art, posters, etc from this app. I hate using the remote for that stuff, and using the various apps are boring as well.

- kmatheson - 2011-06-11 00:07

I used to be able to access the menu of a file or folder with a long tap. After the last app build, I can no longer do this? Feature or problem?

- foxnews - 2011-06-13 01:19

I have xbmc on a laptop and ATV2. from xbmc commander file view on iphone, I can see and control all my video-addon, CBS, icefilms, etc, on my laptop xbmc.

but it won't show xbmc add-on on my ATV2. it shows only links to my movies on the network. I tried both XBMC 10.0 and 11.0

anyone experience this issue? or xbmc commander does not support ATV2 fully?

- dibsta - 2011-06-13 01:29

foxnews Wrote:I have xbmc on a laptop and ATV2. from xbmc commander file view on iphone, I can see and control all my video-addon, CBS, icefilms, etc, on my laptop xbmc.

but it won't show xbmc add-on on my ATV2. it shows only links to my movies on the network. I tried both XBMC 10.0 and 11.0

anyone experience this issue? or xbmc commander does not support ATV2 fully?
Hi its in settings on iPhone you to turn on atv workaround

- foxnews - 2011-06-13 02:41

dibsta Wrote:Hi its in settings on iPhone you to turn on atv workaround

can you explain in more detail?

edit: just turned on avt workaround in iphone setting but add-on is still not showing up in 'Files' view on my iphone.

- grywnn - 2011-06-13 10:46

@sverreq
No streaming for now.
Had a few tries at it, but most things i stream to the ipad either won't play at all or crash sooner or later.

@ECEC
I'd like that too, but changing metadata through the remote control interface isn't posible.
Theres a feature request in XBMCs bugtracker for this, let's see how that turn out.

@kmatheson
I changed the behavior of the long tap gesture for reasons of personal taste, i'll revert in the next release.

@foxnews
The atv workaround is only for the gestures and buttons on the remote control page (bypassing the event server), everything else is going through the JSON api.
As for the addons:
It's a little the other way round: XBMC officially doesn't support addon interaction on the remote control interface (aka JSON api)
I must admit i was kinda surprised to find out they work at all.
Addons are returned by XBMC as a directory / file structure. The app just shows what XBMC is telling it.
From my own experience, addon visibility depends on which version you're using, and on luck Smile.
For example, in XBMC 10.x, video addons show up in XBMC under "Video" in file mode. I kinda remember having to access the files screen once on XBMC to make them show up in XBMC Commander too. So when browsing your videos in file mode on XBMC Commander, the addons will be represented as a directory. But i think this is rather by accident (luckily!) then by design.
In XBMC pre 11, addons have been moved out of the files to their own sub- section of videos. So when i ask XBMC for a list of all video sources / files, addons are no longer there. Theres no way to query addons explicitly, so for now, we're out of luck here.

- not_ - 2011-06-14 20:25

Hi grywnn,

I'm a big fan of XBMC Commander - it was the first XBMC iOS remote I kept, and keep, using. I show it to and recommend it to every XBMC user I know personally.

I have one question regarding the music library view. While XBMC itself displays an artist named "Various Artists" for compilation style albums, XBMC Commander sadly does not show it. I assume that therefore XBMC does not provide this "virtual" artist via the calls you use to query its DB.
Is there any chance you could include the "Various Artists" entry?

Thanks in advance!

- yallah - 2011-06-15 10:55

Hi,
is it possible to put some custom command for some area, by exemple have command for power on TV from kitchen when we choose kitchen zone .....

- Warpdrv - 2011-06-15 21:26

QUESTION - Is there a folder view for music built into this which saves that info to the phone - or - does it have to load up all the names of artists every time you connect.

The android xbmc remote allows you to folder view and gives you the ability to save the content to cache.....

Meaning look at all my music files, ok now save that list to my phone, and when I check it again - save only the newly added music folders to my phone... It also downloads the cover art for movies, tv shows and stores them on the phone/tablet.....

This would be a nice feature to have, as scrolling through 1000 albums and waiting for it to load every single time as I scroll through alphabetically I want to play music yields an impossible wait time.....

Thanks....

- AllisterFiend - 2011-06-15 22:59

Warpdrv Wrote:QUESTION - Is there a folder view for music built into this which saves that info to the phone - or - does it have to load up all the names of artists every time you connect.

The android xbmc remote allows you to folder view and gives you the ability to save the content to cache.....

Meaning look at all my music files, ok now save that list to my phone, and when I check it again - save only the newly added music folders to my phone... It also downloads the cover art for movies, tv shows and stores them on the phone/tablet.....

This would be a nice feature to have, as scrolling through 1000 albums and waiting for it to load every single time as I scroll through alphabetically I want to play music yields an impossible wait time.....

Thanks....

Under Music, Options, Caching (scroll down), Download all data.

I think that is what you are looking for.

(also works with Movies and TVShows)

Allister Fiend