Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

- grywnn - 2011-11-02

Unfortunately i can't determine wether XBMC is in a menu or playing back video fullscreen, so i can't automatically choose when i should send an "m" (osd) and when a "c" (context).
I've tried sending both, but wound up with two windows opening simultaneously in some rare cases, leaving XBMC in a broken state. So i chose to drop the context menu since i personally use the osd more often.

But:
I'll make the long tap configurable in the next version.

- TheAstronaut - 2011-11-02

Memphiz Wrote:Am I the only one who has problems with retreiving the movie list from the ATV2? It just keeps there with the spinning thing and after a while the connection broken sign comes on screen.

My MovieDB has about 140 Movies and i use centralised MySQL database. TVShows view is working as expected. I already redid the DB and got it working with running XBMC on MacOS. But no go on ATV2.

If you need any further information - let me know what i should provide.

Memphiz Wrote:Yeah ... as i wrote. I'm using mysql db and i redid it from scratch without success...

Apologies, did not see that you were using mysql, perhaps the nightlies aren't properly upgrading the db?

- Memphiz - 2011-11-02

TheAstronaut Wrote:Apologies, did not see that you were using mysql, perhaps the nightlies aren't properly upgrading the db?

I did the db from scratch - no update involved. Db works like expected when using with XBMC on different plattforms (ipad/atv2/linux/osx/windows - huh ... ok i tested all of them Wink ).

- Memphiz - 2011-11-02

grywnn Wrote:Things that cross my mind:
- are both systems using the same XBMC version (and thus the same database scheme)

Mostly using latest master (i compile it every couple of days in the middle).

grywnn Wrote:Since the thumbnails used in the external APIs come from XBMCs thumbnail cache:
- do you have a shared thumbnail cache for both systems.

Yep i'm using pathsubstitution to a NFS share on my NAS.

grywnn Wrote:- even if thumbnails apear correctly in XBMC, they sometimes aren't written to the cache. Can you check the .xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails folder?

I will check, but i'm pretty sure the thumbnails are there. Otherwise i definitly wouldn't see same when changing XBMC hosts.

I will play again with it when i'm at home. It seems to be an issue which doesn't apply on normal PCs/Macs because they might be much faster then the ATV2.

In 50% of the trys the commander wouldn't even connect to the ATV2 (just printing "not connected, will use cached data if appropriate" or something like that). In that case nothing does work.

In the other 50% of usecases it connects and remote control works. But when hitting the movie tab it justs sits there with the rolling wheel. I could have a look into the xbmc.log if it trys to fetch some data on that moment. I also could try without pathsubstitution and local sqlite db if things work out better then with the ATV2...

grywnn: does XBMC Commander write any logfiles on the ipad which could give some hints?

- grywnn - 2011-11-02

Memphiz Wrote:grywnn: does XBMC Commander write any logfiles on the ipad which could give some hints?

Unfortunately it doesn't.

Anyway, heres what i think what happens:
Something is blocking XBMCs internal webserver (which i still use for posting JSON requests. Thinking about it, i could change to direct communication over tcp 9090). Unfortunately the webserver is single-threaded (never really understood why...), so a single hanging request can disable all communication, thus causing the "disconnected" icon to appear.

Please try the following:
Telnet to your XBMC, port 9090, and post the following JSON requests:
Code:
{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.GetMovies", "params": {"properties": ["playcount", "year", "rating", "genre", "trailer", "tagline", "plot", "fanart", "thumbnail", "set", "setid"], "sort": { "method": "sorttitle", "order": "ascending", "ignorearticle": true } }, "id": 1}
Code:
{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.getMovieSets", "params": {"properties": ["fanart", "thumbnail", "playcount"], "sort": { "method": "sorttitle", "order": "ascending", "ignorearticle": true }}, "id": 1}
Code:
{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.GetRecentlyAddedMovies", "id": 1}
(each followed by return of course)

These are the requests i do when opening the movies tab on nightly builds.
I suspect one of these to take too long to complete or even time out...
If it does, maybe you can aven drill down the problem by removing either the "fanart", "thumbnail", "playcount" or "set(id)" property. I think these are the ones requiring heavy cross-table-relationships.

- Memphiz - 2011-11-02

grywnn Wrote:Unfortunately it doesn't.

Anyway, heres what i think what happens:
Something is blocking XBMCs internal webserver (which i still use for posting JSON requests. Thinking about it, i could change to direct communication over tcp 9090). Unfortunately the webserver is single-threaded (never really understood why...), so a single hanging request can disable all communication, thus causing the "disconnected" icon to appear.

Please try the following:
Telnet to your XBMC, port 9090, and post the following JSON requests:
Code:
{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.GetMovies", "params": {"properties": ["playcount", "year", "rating", "genre", "trailer", "tagline", "plot", "fanart", "thumbnail", "set", "setid"], "sort": { "method": "sorttitle", "order": "ascending", "ignorearticle": true } }, "id": 1}
Code:
{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.getMovieSets", "params": {"properties": ["fanart", "thumbnail", "playcount"], "sort": { "method": "sorttitle", "order": "ascending", "ignorearticle": true }}, "id": 1}
Code:
{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.GetRecentlyAddedMovies", "id": 1}
(each followed by return of course)

These are the requests i do when opening the movies tab on nightly builds.
I suspect one of these to take too long to complete or even time out...
If it does, maybe you can aven drill down the problem by removing either the "fanart", "thumbnail", "playcount" or "set(id)" property. I think these are the ones requiring heavy cross-table-relationships.

It might be the first query. It completes after 1min and 12 secs on the atv2. On OSX it needs 25 seconds. But using port 9090 at least it gives a result after that time so it should be fine imho.

Don't know how to test by using the webserver (not my part Smile ).

- Memphiz - 2011-11-02

Memphiz Wrote:It might be the first query. It completes after 1min and 12 secs on the atv2. On OSX it needs 25 seconds. But using port 9090 at least it gives a result after that time so it should be fine imho.

Don't know how to test by using the webserver (not my part Smile ).

mhh and by sitting here and writing this it worked with xbmc commander ... what the hell ...

- TheAstronaut - 2011-11-02

Thats one of the reasons I'm waiting till the Eden official release before moving over to Mysql. I tried it on Dharma 10.0.9 and it was very slow and buggy, am hoping the performance is better when it's finalized. Especially with dirty regions now able to free up some CPU horsepower.

How well is it working for you on the nightlies? What kind of mysql server do you use?

- Memphiz - 2011-11-03

TheAstronaut Wrote:Thats one of the reasons I'm waiting till the Eden official release before moving over to Mysql. I tried it on Dharma 10.0.9 and it was very slow and buggy, am hoping the performance is better when it's finalized. Especially with dirty regions now able to free up some CPU horsepower.

How well is it working for you on the nightlies? What kind of mysql server do you use?

don't expect that much changing till eden release ... we are looking into some serious things of course but it won't change that much on performance until release. I'm using mysql 5.something on a debian squeeze which is running on my dockstar nas (arm 1,2ghz, 128mb ram).

- grywnn - 2011-11-03

My quick 2 cents after having a loooong day at work:
1 minute+ is WAY too long.
Even 30 secs is too long.
300+ movies take << 1 second on my system (local database)
Btw XBMC Commander suddently working might be due to mySQL caching the queries and thus serving them much faster the 2nd time.
I could adjust the query timeout in XBMC Commander, but stil: 1 minute is simply too slow.
Looks like some serious optimization on XBMC / mySQL side is in order.
I'll post some mySQL performance tips (one of my fields of business as a sysadmin) tomorrow (its 11pm here in germany)

- TheAstronaut - 2011-11-03

Memphiz Wrote:don't expect that much changing till eden release ... we are looking into some serious things of course but it won't change that much on performance until release. I'm using mysql 5.something on a debian squeeze which is running on my dockstar nas (arm 1,2ghz, 128mb ram).

When I tried it on my quad-core OpenSUSE box using Darhma, I found it to be quite sluggish when navigating the library, have you found this to be the case? Any special configuration to the mysql server needed?

P.S. Thanks for all the help, it seems you've been answering a lot of my questions lately.

- Memphiz - 2011-11-03

TheAstronaut Wrote:When I tried it on my quad-core OpenSUSE box using Darhma, I found it to be quite sluggish when navigating the library, have you found this to be the case? Any special configuration to the mysql server needed?

P.S. Thanks for all the help, it seems you've been answering a lot of my questions lately.

you are highjacking this thread ... make a new one for discussing mysql issues please ... Smile

- halburrows - 2011-11-03

TheAstronaut Wrote:When I tried it on my quad-core OpenSUSE box using Darhma, I found it to be quite sluggish when navigating the library, have you found this to be the case? Any special configuration to the mysql server needed?

As someone who has been unable to get my library to show up in any app due to timing out, I can't wait for this info. I thank you VERY MUCH in advance!!

- grywnn - 2011-11-03

did you guys add indexes to the tables as described here?
This thread look promising too, especially the part about skip-name-resolve.

- Heeren01 - 2011-11-03

grywnn Wrote:markus,
plugins / addons work more by accident then by design.
There's no official interface for addons in the JSON API.
Some addons seem to expose themselves to XBMC in a directory / file structure up to some level, and are thus visible through the file browser.
How deep this works highly depends on the way the addon is coded.
So i'm afraid i can't do anything about it.

BTW i don't know / use the icefilms plugin

I Have the icefilms plugin installed and works perfectly.
Grywnn, you should really try it, it's great!