Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad (/showthread.php?tid=81018)

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - fatal. - 2012-03-26

Hey grywnn,

(2012-03-25, 10:10)grywnn Wrote: Hi fatal,

The issue you mention could very well be the screensaver. I guess the screensaver creates some kind of picture playlist, which are strange beasts in XBMC.
I'll investigate, but i don't know if i can do much against it...

Turning off the fanart screen saver solved the issue for me, the playlist does not get loaded with tons of tbn files anymore.

(2012-03-25, 10:10)grywnn Wrote: Now to the empty sources in the files tab:
This usually happens when you're using password protected network shares as sources. The problem here is, that the username / password aren't transfered to the remote (for security reasons), and when the remote tries to dive into the source it get rejected because of missing auth credentials (kinda scizophrenic...)
The good news is that theres a workaroud for this. You'll have to move the auth details from your sources.xml to another file.
If added a short howto to XBMC Commanders webpage:
http://xbmc-commander.com/page2/page9/page9.html
...near the bottom.

Viewing pictures isn't perfect though.
The app will only download & show pictures < 3MB, because anything bigger quickly causes memory trouble.

Thanks for the information, your were right about the cause of the issue and setting up a passwords.xml file solved the issue for me.

Just one note on your site, you might wanna change the references from password.xml to passwords.xml (unless both naming schemes work), as all references I found online were for a file named passwords.xml.

Now, although I can see all the pictures folders and even the picture filename (and even loads the picture thumbnails), when clicking on a picture I see the loading screen but then only get a black screen. I checked the picture size and they are under 3MB in size. Also, are these pictures cached on the iPad or gotten each time I want to view them, as I only have a 16gb iPad, space would run out quick if it were to cache all my pictures heh.

Thanks again.

Take Care

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - grywnn - 2012-03-26

@steve:
First of all, thanks for the compliment :-)
Point is, atm i'd rather improve existing features and maybe add a new layout than starting a completely new area.
But you got me started thinking about it. And you're right, at least sb & sabnzbd got apis.

@orillion:
You too got me thinking, and maybe i'll start the ad-based-upgrade-by-in-app-purchase variant. Never bothered with this ad stuff, but can't be too hard to implement.

@fatal:
Thanks for the info, i've adjusted the support page accordingly. Although i got the strong impression that XBMC simply parses every .xml file in your userdata directory, in which case the name wouldn't really matter :-)
As for the black pictures: Yes, i'm downloading the files to a temp dir on the iPad. But only one directory at a time, not everything. And the temp dir is purged when you leave it.
So black images could indicate
- a full iPad "drive"
- an image format that's not supported by the iPad.
The upcoming v12 of XBMC will feature on the fly image resizing, which will make things a lot easier for my. For now i've postponed fleshing out the image stuff until this is available.

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - fatal. - 2012-03-26

(2012-03-26, 17:03)grywnn Wrote: As for the black pictures: Yes, i'm downloading the files to a temp dir on the iPad. But only one directory at a time, not everything. And the temp dir is purged when you leave it.
So black images could indicate
- a full iPad "drive"
- an image format that's not supported by the iPad.
The upcoming v12 of XBMC will feature on the fly image resizing, which will make things a lot easier for my. For now i've postponed fleshing out the image stuff until this is available.

Hey grywnn,

The iPad is new so it is not full and the image format is .jpg (the thumbnails load fine for the images).

Not really a big issue as it's more for WAF, she'd love to be able to view pics on the iPad. Let me know if there a way for me to create any log files for you etc if you wish to debug, otherwise I'll just wait for a later version.

Here is what is in the xbmc.log

Code:
19:24:15 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open SOURCE_musicfolder.jpg
19:24:15 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open SOURCE_picturesfolder.jpg
19:24:15 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open SOURCE_videofolder.jpg
19:24:16 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open smb://192.168.10.10/disk4/Pictures/folder.jpg
19:24:16 T:2956974912 WARNING: CreateLoader - Unsupported protocol(addons) in addons://sources/image/folder.jpg
19:24:16 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open addons://sources/image/folder.jpg
19:24:16 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open addons://sources/image/folder.jpg
19:24:18 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open smb://192.168.10.10/disk4/Pictures/06.13.07/folder.jpg
19:24:18 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open smb://192.168.10.10/disk4/Pictures/07.16.07/folder.jpg
19:24:18 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open smb://192.168.10.10/disk4/Pictures/07.22.07/folder.jpg
19:24:25 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open smb%3a%2f%2f192%2e168%2e10%2e10%2fdisk4%2fPictures%2f06%2e13%2e07%2f06%2e13%2e07%20001%2ejpg
19:24:25 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open smb%3a%2f%2f192%2e168%2e10%2e10%2fdisk4%2fPictures%2f06%2e13%2e07%2f06%2e13%2e07%20002%2ejpg
19:24:25 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open smb%3a%2f%2f192%2e168%2e10%2e10%2fdisk4%2fPictures%2f06%2e13%2e07%2f06%2e13%2e07%20003%2ejpg
19:24:25 T:2956974912   ERROR: WebServer: Failed to open smb%3a%2f%2f192%2e168%2e10%2e10%2fdisk4%2fPictures%2f06%2e13%2e07%2f06%2e13%2e07%20004%2ejpg

Some are URL encoded some are not...I don't know what the error message means exactly as the pictures are accessible through XBMC and the files do show up on xbmc commander on my iPad along w/ thumbnails.

Also, if I view pictures in xbmc using the remote to navigate, and then go to the Playlist section on XBMC Commander, it doesn't let me click on anything (or clicking on the items does nothing)...and if I try to then go back to the remote it crashes the app back to the ipad home screen.

(2012-03-25, 10:10)grywnn Wrote: Hi fatal,

The issue you mention could very well be the screensaver. I guess the screensaver creates some kind of picture playlist, which are strange beasts in XBMC.
I'll investigate, but i don't know if i can do much against it...

As for your requests:
4) XBMC currently offers no way to query smart playlists. So you won't get this in any remote for a while - until the XBMC devs sort out the whole playlist handling, which is on their roadmap for the next release (v12, not Eden)

Thanks for the info, if playlists aren't possible in the current version of xbmc, what about sources? I have 4 sources defined (each source pointing to various directories), which would also allow a type of "Smart Fitlering" based on sources and allow to only view, for example, "Kids Movies". Although I don't know if the json-rpc (or xbmc) reports to you what type a particular source is set to (movie, tv, etc).

Thanks again for your help.

Take Care

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - meridius - 2012-03-26

Hi grywnn

Couple of bugs in he latest version.

Bug 1. Seems to be a problem with the download all cache with the movies as it keeps locking up, but the tv download all cache works perfectly. A strange one.

Bug 2 when you scroll the tv shows its nice and smooth but when you go to the movies it's a little jerky and then it seems to correct itself after you stop scrolling and then scroll again. But if you ten go to the tv shows and then back to the movies and scroll its jerky again and then corrects itself when you stop scrolling.

Cheers

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - grywnn - 2012-03-27

@meridius
I'm currently working on Bug 1. Will be fixed in the update after the one thats currently waiting to be released by apple.
Bug 2 is related to the app loading cached images from the ipads disc. File system access appears to be done on the same thread as graphical updates, so while accessing files everything goes jerky. Since i have to get a lot of thumbs while scrolling, this is jerky. Once they are in memory, everythings fine. Unfortunately memory get drained pretty soon, and things start getting jerky again...
Haven't found a way around this yet.

@fatal
smb://192.168.10.10/disk4/Pictures/06.13.07/folder.jpg
Looks like the auth problem all over again. Could be that the passwords.xml is ignored when downloading files through XBMCs virtual file system. (these images are downloaded differently than thumbnails)
I'll check and submit a bug report to xbmcs trac if necessary.
As for the sources, you're right: Sources aren't returned in the json objects, so no filtering posible atm.

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - fatal. - 2012-03-27

(2012-03-27, 12:06)grywnn Wrote: @fatal
Looks like the auth problem all over again. Could be that the passwords.xml is ignored when downloading files through XBMCs virtual file system. (these images are downloaded differently than thumbnails)
As for the sources, you're right: Sources aren't returned in the json objects, so no filtering posible atm.

Just FYI, all those "folder.jpg" images it says failed to open don't even exist on my pictures folders...the images that exist are all the ones that are url encoded in the log.

Take Care

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - grywnn - 2012-03-27

Valid info, so its rather some double encoding issue.
I'll add an unescape call in the next update, let's see if that helps (didn't hurt on my test system)

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - meridius - 2012-03-27

(2012-03-27, 12:06)grywnn Wrote: @meridius
I'm currently working on Bug 1. Will be fixed in the update after the one thats currently waiting to be released by apple.
Bug 2 is related to the app loading cached images from the ipads disc. File system access appears to be done on the same thread as graphical updates, so while accessing files everything goes jerky. Since i have to get a lot of thumbs while scrolling, this is jerky. Once they are in memory, everythings fine. Unfortunately memory get drained pretty soon, and things start getting jerky again...
Haven't found a way around this yet.

@fatal

Cheers

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - steve1977 - 2012-03-27

(2012-03-26, 17:03)grywnn Wrote: @steve:
First of all, thanks for the compliment :-)
Point is, atm i'd rather improve existing features and maybe add a new layout than starting a completely new area.
But you got me started thinking about it. And you're right, at least sb & sabnzbd got apis.

Cool! Take a look at maraschino and/or media watchdog and I got you thinking even more Wink

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - clipper99 - 2012-03-28

bug? I only went back 2 pages as I just grabbed the latest update with Retina support but can't see anyone else reporting this.

When I tap on the IMDB link for movie info the IMDB app begins to load then I crash back to Springboard every time.

iPad 3 32gb wifi only.

Commander and IMDB are all up to date.

regards

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - grywnn - 2012-03-28

Strange one.
Can't reproduce.
IMDB is opening fine on my devices.
The fact that it's the imdb app that closes hints at a bug in imdb. But since all i do is passing a movie id (that tt... thingy that you see in imdbs url too), i can't really imagine what might go wrong there.
On second thought, you might try the good old windows problem solver: Restart your iPad. I've had some issues in the past where that helped (apple, what did you become?)

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - clipper99 - 2012-03-28

Hi grywnn,

I idid a complete reboot of the iPad but no luck. Too bad really as I use the iMDB app almost daily and don't want to uninstall it to get back the full functionality of Commander. Perhaps an option could be added to choose to open in iMDB app or just open a browser window?

Regards

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - grywnn - 2012-03-29

Hi clipper,
I now hav been able to reproduce the issue. Looks like there is a bug in the imdb app that causes it to crash when switching to it while the device is in landscape mode.
When the device is in portrait orientation imdb opens witthout problems.
I'll try to contact the imdb devs about this.
For now, until the imdb app gets fixed, rotate the device before hitting the imdb button...

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - clipper99 - 2012-03-29

Cool! LOL.

Hey everyone, if you ever doubted grywnn's support..he even diagnoses other apps deficiencies as well!

Thanks, I can work with that!

RE: XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad - Fishman - 2012-03-29

I'm having an issue with my iPad2 connection, which I can't seem to find a definitive solution to over the 138 pages here or the XBMC Commander troubleshooting guide. I've ensured that XBMC is allowing control via HTTP, that other programs may gain control over it, that my random port is allowed through the Windows Firewall, which was changed because I'm using SAB (I even disabled the firewall completely) and that all of my settings on the iPad match those on XBMC. When I attempt to connect, it immediately disconnects. When I browse over to TV Shows and try to generate a cache anyway, it just hangs.

I'm using Eden and likely the latest build of XBMC Commander, as it was just downloaded tonight.

Any guidance would be appreciated!