Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Vimeo (Video) Plugin - De facto default standard Vimeo Addon for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Vimeo (Video) Plugin - De facto default standard Vimeo Addon for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=81052)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

[RELEASE] Vimeo (Video) Plugin - De facto default standard Vimeo Addon for XBMC - HenrikDK - 2010-09-13

This plugin is now the official Vimeo plugin in the add-on repo.

As has been noted on this forum before the previous Vimeo plugin implementation has not been updated for a while (plugin development seemed to stop around June 2009 ) and functionality is severly lacking in many places, among other things:
Plugin doesn't support user login, user data manipulation and general navigation seems lacking.

For the reasons noted above TobiasTheCommie and I decided to write our own plugin and now offer it for your consideration Smile

The plugin can be found on the project homepage here:
http://code.google.com/p/vimeoxbmc/downloads/list

Note
This plugin requires the latest beta build of dharma which can be found here:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/

Screenshots

- TobiasTheCommie - 2010-09-13

Comment and suggestions welcome.

In case you encounter any bugs with our plugin, please do report them so we can make this rock solid.

- Flomaster - 2010-09-13

great I can't wait to give this a roll in the hay

-=Jason=-

- cotdagoo - 2010-09-14

love vimeo - will give this a shot!

edit: everything works great so far. downloads, flawless playback, searching. well done.

- danz0l - 2010-09-14

everything seems to be working perfect for me also.

- HenrikDK - 2010-09-16

*Bump*

Nice to know, please do get back to us with any errors so that we can get the plugin ready for the official repo Smile

- spiff - 2010-09-16

i tried it yesterday. no issues. worked a treat. only thing i wtf'd on was the illogical settings for which items to show. imo it should be enabled, not disable, settings.

- Raptylos - 2010-09-26

Thanks, runs perfectly. Cool

Thanks, works great! - rkboni - 2010-09-28

Worked nicely with Dharma beta2 (9/13)... a few comments:

1. The settings are very confusing and IMNSHO backwards; I know it was mentioned upthread but thought I'd re-iterate.

2. Is it possible to use w/out logging in to Vimeo? That certainly works via the web, but not via the plugin (I left username/password blank and tried with both variants of the 'authenticate' option). I made an account, but it would be "nice" to not have to log in if possible.

3. I'm an XBMC noob, so maybe this is a general issue, but I found it surprising that I could rewind right out of the video into the Vimeo search window Wink

4. I know it's a known issue, but it would be good if the thumbnailing worked with skins other than the default. I love me some Project Mayhem.

5. I miss the position slider in the now-playing view when not paused. Would be nice if it appeared when the controls do. Is this skin-related?

That said, I'm watching Phish Coral Sky excerpts via XBMC using the plugin now and couldn't be happier!

- HenrikDK - 2010-09-28

rkboni Wrote:1. The settings are very confusing and IMNSHO backwards; I know it was mentioned upthread but thought I'd re-iterate.
These should already be changed in our svn, we just haven't gotten around to testing and issuing a new release yet since the next version of the YouTube plugin is taking up a lot of time right now, but it will be fixed Smile..

rkboni Wrote:2. Is it possible to use w/out logging in to Vimeo? That certainly works via the web, but not via the plugin (I left username/password blank and tried with both variants of the 'authenticate' option). I made an account, but it would be "nice" to not have to log in if possible.
Right now the plugin only supports basic browsing and searching when not logged in, it would probably be possible to view a specific users content by making it possible to enter their user id in the settings.
Although this could probably be done, I'm not fond of the idea since it would require me to litter some already pretty complex code with more "if user id entered but not logged in then:" and to be pretty frank a lot of the more user specific options don't really make sense when you're not logged in (ie. like, unlike, viewing contacts etc)..

rkboni Wrote:3. I'm an XBMC noob, so maybe this is a general issue, but I found it surprising that I could rewind right out of the video into the Vimeo search window Wink
Hmm, i've had some similar issues with rewinding from web streams and they seem related to the player core. But i must admit the problem is far worse with vimeo's streams than with youtube. Often fast forwarding will fail and go into an endless buffering loop.. Oo

rkboni Wrote:4. I know it's a known issue, but it would be good if the thumbnailing worked with skins other than the default. I love me some Project Mayhem.
This is an issue we are not happy with ourselves but xbmc's current skin structure doesn't allow this to be implemented easily across skins, so we won't do it. We have opened a trac ticket on this (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/9952) and a more sustainable solution is being thought up by the devs but it won't make dharma..

rkboni Wrote:5. I miss the position slider in the now-playing view when not paused. Would be nice if it appeared when the controls do. Is this skin-related?
This would be entirely skin related.. Smile

Thanks for the feedback - rkboni - 2010-09-28

First of all, thanks Henrik for making a noob feel right at home; nice to get feedback so quick!

HenrikDK Wrote:Right now the plugin only supports basic browsing and searching when not logged in, it would probably be possible to view a specific users content by making it possible to enter their user id in the settings.
Although this could probably be done, I'm not fond of the idea since it would require me to litter some already pretty complex code with more "if user id entered but not logged in then:" and to be pretty frank a lot of the more user specific options don't really make sense when you're not logged in (ie. like, unlike, viewing contacts etc)..

In my case, basic browsing / searching / viewing would have been more than enough. As I said, I'd only now created a Vimeo account and have been watching stuff there for a while... largely by friends passing me links or FB posts, but all the same.

I think it would make the plugin more generally useful, but it's not so much of a pain to make a login on vimeo (heck, I had to make 2 or 3 logins for other XBMC related things, so why not one more Wink)

HenrikDK Wrote:Hmm, i've had some similar issues with rewinding from web streams and they seem related to the player core. But i must admit the problem is far worse with vimeo's streams than with youtube. Often fast forwarding will fail and go into an endless buffering loop.. Oo

Ah, that is good to know (as well as knowing it's a known issue), thanks for the hint.

HenrikDK Wrote:This would be entirely skin related.. Smile

Either that or user error; I've only used XBMC for a couple hours... and got right to customizing before I'd really learned much about it. I guess that's a credit to all the XBMC devs that it's easy enough to get from A -> B that quickly.

Thanks again!
Nerd

- HenrikDK - 2010-09-28

rkboni Wrote:In my case, basic browsing / searching / viewing would have been more than enough. As I said, I'd only now created a Vimeo account and have been watching stuff there for a while... largely by friends passing me links or FB posts, but all the same.

I just wan't to be sure of this, but are you saying that basic browsing wasn't working for you without login. Pr. default we "pop" the settings dialog on first run to allow the user to setup the plugin, but it should be entirely possible to use the plugin without login, it just won't have as many options as depicted on this picture:

Explore vimeo should allow basic browsing of vimeo groups, channels and categories, search is pretty self explanatory and "play video by id" is probably useless, but it was very easy to make Big Grin

Was this not working for you? or are you expecting some other functionality?

It didn't work... because of settings confusion - rkboni - 2010-09-28

Yeah, that didn't work, because I'd had the settings backwards. I've cleared my username / password and now am playing video un-logged-in.

Also solved my "video info doesn't show"; was a PEBCAC... hitting 'i' gets me info just as with music... I just didn't realize that it only popped at song transitions and the vimeo plugin doesn't show it on starting a new stream (whereas I think music does).

- HenrikDK - 2010-09-30

rkboni Wrote:Yeah, that didn't work, because I'd had the settings backwards. I've cleared my username / password and now am playing video un-logged-in.

Also solved my "video info doesn't show"; was a PEBCAC... hitting 'i' gets me info just as with music... I just didn't realize that it only popped at song transitions and the vimeo plugin doesn't show it on starting a new stream (whereas I think music does).

Great, for a minute there I was concerned I had broken something before release Smile

- matiasw - 2010-10-02

Hello,
First, thank you, looks like a great plugin! Smile
I have a slight problem getting it to work, however. I am running XBMC version 2:10.00~svn33778-lucid1 on Ubuntu 10.04 (kernel 2.6.32-24). I have installed the plugin as per the instructions at http://code.google.com/p/vimeoxbmc/.
The error I get when trying to run it through Video -> Video Plugins is
"ERROR: Script Failed!: Vimeo"
xbmc.log has this (the only error):
"ERROR: Failed to create common scripts symlink."

Anyone have a clue what's going on? Smile