Kodi Community Forum
Dual monitor support still horribly broken - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: Dual monitor support still horribly broken (/showthread.php?tid=81250)

Pages: 1 2

Dual monitor support still horribly broken - migueld - 2010-09-16

After trying beta 2, it appears that multiple monitor support is still quite broken. Dragging the XBMC window to a secondary screen and pressing "\" doesn't make it fullscreen there. Instead it always makes fullscreen on the primary screen.

The user is then forced to always go through the settings menus. This gets tedious for someone that switches screens often.

Also, if XBMC is fullscreen on a secondary screen and the user toggles between windowed and fullscreen with "\", when video playback stops, XBMC unexpectedly switches to the primary screen.

It'd be much appreciated if someone could fix this, personally it's been really painful for me since I toggle windowed vs fullscreen often. Thanks!

- garyi - 2010-09-16

The biggest problem for me is when waking from sleep it defaulting to the primary screen.

Davilla has said that there is a problem and its in the pipeline.

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-09-16

As far as i know, you can't use a primary monitor for working and also (at the same time) a secondary monitor for watching movies in fullscreen mode.
You've to change to the windows-mode on the secondary monitor for being able to watch both things at the same time.
The downside of the windows mode is that it makes the whole xbmc very sluggish because it can't use the whole power as the primary monitor could.

A patch for this 'feature' would be highly appreciated, especially because there are a lots of people which are using xbmc in a dual monitor environment.

However, I am not sure if this is possible, it could be also a hardware- or OS-Limitation.

- migueld - 2010-09-16

ubuntuf4n Wrote:As far as i know, you can't use a primary monitor for working and also (at the same time) a secondary monitor for watching movies in fullscreen mode.
You've to change to the windows-mode on the secondary monitor for being able to watch both things at the same time.
The downside of the windows mode is that it makes the whole xbmc very sluggish because it can't use the whole power as the primary monitor could.

A patch for this 'feature' would be highly appreciated, especially because there are a lots of people which are using xbmc in a dual monitor environment.

However, I am not sure if this is possible, it could be also a hardware- or OS-Limitation.

In OSX it's currently possible to do fullscreen on a secondary screen from the settings and this works ok except for a couple of situations. The problems start when toggling windowed and fullscreen with "\" and also when going to sleep as garyi describes.

- GlennK - 2010-09-16

Yeah, I've disabled backslash for that very reason

Migueld, if you have XBMC fullscreen on your second monitor, you can cmd-tab out and use the primary monitor. The secondary display remains full-screen. Also, make sure that you have Blank other Displays unchecked (under System Settings).

Cheers!
Glenn

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-09-16

migueld Wrote:In OSX it's currently possible to do fullscreen on a secondary screen from the settings and this works ok except for a couple of situations. The problems start when toggling windowed and fullscreen with "\" and also when going to sleep as garyi describes.

I don't know about the OSX behaviour, but on WinXP and on Win7 it is not possible to use two monitors simultanously (only possible with xbmc in window-mode).

- migueld - 2010-09-17

ubuntuf4n Wrote:I don't know about the OSX behaviour, but on WinXP and on Win7 it is not possible to use two monitors simultanously (only possible with xbmc in window-mode).

Oh man that sucks... No Oo

- snowmusicman - 2010-09-23

I spent a whole day setting up a dual monitor setup, working with Evenghost and my Harmony. Just when I thought I had everything correctly set up I realized that after waking from sleep the screen is defaulting to my monitor in another room. Isn't there a solution yet? I don't want to start from scratch again with another media center solution Sad ... thx

- CrashX - 2010-09-23

ubuntuf4n Wrote:I don't know about the OSX behaviour, but on WinXP and on Win7 it is not possible to use two monitors simultanously (only possible with xbmc in window-mode).

Are you saying that OS doesn't support it or XBMC ?

Why don't you guys just switch it so that XBMC is running fullscreen on primary and you do your work on secondary monitor. You can assign which is which in windows display settings ?

- elupus - 2010-09-23

Well.. xbmc in fullscreen windowed mode works quite fine.. so saying it's not supported is abit silly.

- pecinko - 2010-09-24

elupus Wrote:Well.. xbmc in fullscreen windowed mode works quite fine.. so saying it's not supported is abit silly.

Well, on my system it's either windowed or fullscreen. If it's windowed you can't change resolution.

Or did I miss something?

EDIT: Indeed I did. It can't be done from UI you must use mouse.

- davilla - 2010-09-24

pecinko Wrote:Well, on my system it's either windowed or fullscreen. If it's windowed you can't change resolution.

Or did I miss something?

EDIT: Indeed I did. It can't be done from UI you must use mouse.

That's correct. The size of "windowed" is mouse controlled. We could add some sizes in there but then it would become an ever expanding list. Since "windowed" is typically used under a desktop install where one is already using a mouse, we though this would work fine.

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-09-24

elupus Wrote:Well.. xbmc in fullscreen windowed mode works quite fine.. so saying it's not supported is abit silly.

I think that there is a misunderstanding.
My previous statement was regarding the window-fullscreen mode (when I said, it's only possible in window-mode).
Does anyone know, why it's getting sluggish when I use a Two-Monitor-Setup (One Monitor, One PDP), with XBMC as the secondary monitor (running in window-fullscreen-mode instead of real fullscreen-mode, WinXP/Win7) ?

I think someone mentioned earlier (another thread), that it has to do with the nvidia-driver and that's how it is supposed to work.

Anyway elupus, no offense. Smile

Best Regards,
Ubuntuf4n

Btw, I recognized that my setup is slightly OT in this section...

- pecinko - 2010-10-01

davilla Wrote:That's correct. The size of "windowed" is mouse controlled. We could add some sizes in there but then it would become an ever expanding list. Since "windowed" is typically used under a desktop install where one is already using a mouse, we though this would work fine.

I understand. Until problem is solved, is it possible to allow forcing of 720p windowed mode (little bit more 720+title bar to be exact) as without this skin development is difficult?

- davilla - 2010-10-01

pecinko Wrote:I understand. Until problem is solved, is it possible to allow forcing of 720p windowed mode (little bit more 720+title bar to be exact) as without this skin development is difficult?

I think guisettings.xml remembers the window size, change that to what you want and XBMC will use it next time it's run.