Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] MCERemote Addon - MCE Remote Control Plugin for XBMC on Windows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] MCERemote Addon - MCE Remote Control Plugin for XBMC on Windows (/showthread.php?tid=81687)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- kulprit - 2010-09-26

EDIT: Also just ran the addon and it gave me the error for it only runs on windows as well. I am running Vista x64.

Thanks for the info jhsrennie on how to edit it all, but i'm pretty sure i had that stuff. I was more looking at how to write a keyboard.xml for my userdata folder that will actually work.

So how i find the code that button sends, then write that code, the mce keypress it sends, and what i want it to do in a specific xbmc window properly.

- zpike1 - 2010-09-26

jhsrennie Wrote:@mrpg and zpike: the plugin checks it's running on Windows by checking that the Python system.platform() function returns "Windows". However on Win7 the function unhelpfully returns "Microsoft" instead.

I'll fix this on Monday.

JR

thanks jhsrennie, looking forward to finally get my remote working Smile

- jhsrennie - 2010-09-27

jhsrennie Wrote:@mrpg and zpike: the plugin checks it's running on Windows by checking that the Python system.platform() function returns "Windows". However on Win7 the function unhelpfully returns "Microsoft" instead.

I'll fix this on Monday.

JR

Fixed in v0.0.4 from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/

JR

- jhsrennie - 2010-09-27

kulprit Wrote:EDIT: Also just ran the addon and it gave me the error for it only runs on windows as well. I am running Vista x64.

Thanks for the info jhsrennie on how to edit it all, but i'm pretty sure i had that stuff. I was more looking at how to write a keyboard.xml for my userdata folder that will actually work.

So how i find the code that button sends, then write that code, the mce keypress it sends, and what i want it to do in a specific xbmc window properly.

Well the Showkey applet generates a line of XML that you can copy and paste into keyboard.xml. It even has a "Copy" button to do the copy for you. A list of possible actions is on the Wiki somewhere.

JR

- zpike1 - 2010-09-27

I got the 0.0.5 version and when i click the "Configure MCE keyboard shourtcuts" I get a error message : "MCERemote - Error opening the IR registry key"

- jhsrennie - 2010-09-28

zpike1 Wrote:I got the 0.0.5 version and when i click the "Configure MCE keyboard shourtcuts" I get a error message : "MCERemote - Error opening the IR registry key"

That means your account doesn't have permissions to write to that registry key. Either you're not using an administrator account, or you have User Access Control enabled. Try right-clicking the XBMC shortcut and choosing "Run as administrator", and then see if it works.

JR

- kulprit - 2010-09-28

All working so awesome jhsrennie. A few additions to my userdata keyboard.xml and working better than when using eventghost. Still a bit of tweaking to do with my setup i think but overall very good.

Cheers

- bramblepants - 2010-09-28

This sounds like a great plugin!

What are your plans for further development? Would it be possible for when you press a button on your remote that isn't assigned, it pops up a window with a list of possible actions you can choose from?

It could then save the action to the specific button? That would make assigning the extra buttons on remotes easier, and also allow for reconfiguring without even leaving XBMC?!

- jhsrennie - 2010-09-28

bramblepants Wrote:This sounds like a great plugin!

What are your plans for further development? Would it be possible for when you press a button on your remote that isn't assigned, it pops up a window with a list of possible actions you can choose from?

It could then save the action to the specific button? That would make assigning the extra buttons on remotes easier, and also allow for reconfiguring without even leaving XBMC?!

What you describe is really outside the scope of the plugin. The plugin is just to configure the remote to send the standard Media Center keypresses. Configuring XBMC to respond to those keypresses is a different matter.

I did start on a Java program to edit keyboard.xml files, but to be honest I got bored with it and abandoned it. You'd have to use something like Java as I don't think the plugin system is powerful enough for a fully fledged keymap editor.

JR

- zpike1 - 2010-09-28

jhsrennie Wrote:That means your account doesn't have permissions to write to that registry key. Either you're not using an administrator account, or you have User Access Control enabled. Try right-clicking the XBMC shortcut and choosing "Run as administrator", and then see if it works.

JR

thanks, working now Smile is there any way to change setting or add functions to a key ?

edit : seems my asrock remote can't launch XBMC. I used this launcher http://inchoatethoughts.com/launching-xbmc-with-a-windows-media-center-remote ?

- elitegamer360 - 2010-09-29

zpike1 Wrote:thanks, working now Smile is there any way to change setting or add functions to a key ?

edit : seems my asrock remote can't launch XBMC. I used this launcher http://inchoatethoughts.com/launching-xbmc-with-a-windows-media-center-remote ?

See my thread you will find more customized .reg file for your remote plus I am in a process of writing a tutorial on how to change remote keys to suite your style or add functions to buttons that are not currently used. Smile

- jhsrennie - 2010-09-29

zpike1 Wrote:thanks, working now Smile is there any way to change setting or add functions to a key ?

Your handset should now be sending ctrl-shift-W when you press the green Windows button. Right click the XBMC shortcut in the Startup menu, select properties and click in the "Shortcut Key" field. Now press the green button and you should see ctrl-shift-W appear. Click OK. Now the green button will start XBMC and it will restore XBMC if it's minimised.

To change/add functions to buttons you need a custom keyboard.xml. Look in %appdata%\xbmc\addons\plugin.script.mceremote and doubling click in the resources folder then the Data folder. Run the batch file CopyKeyboardDotXML.bat and it will create a template keyboard.xml. Run:

notepad %appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml

to edit the file in Notepad.

XBMC has millions of actions, and it's not always obvious what action you need. If you have specific requirements post them here and I'll give you the changes you need to your keyboard.xml. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly :-)

JR

- Botafuco - 2010-09-29

Thanks a lot for your work on this plugin jhsrennie!

I've just tried the default config you prepared (xml and reg) and I'm already happy enough to stop using eventghost, even when I haven't looked at customizing it yet.

kudos

- Johnkg - 2010-09-29

Homerboy Wrote:can you get me a working IR receiver in WHS??!?!

Smile

Bit of a late reply and I'm probably being thick/missing the point, but I've got an IR Receiver that works with WHS (v1 version).

I'm pretty certain it's a generic Phillips MCE remote that came with an old Packard Bell PC. I'm still running an older version of XBMC (svn28146) and using IR Remote Suite.

I programmed up a Harmony 525 as an MCE remote and it works a treat.

- zpike1 - 2010-09-29

jhsrennie Wrote:Your handset should now be sending ctrl-shift-W when you press the green Windows button. Right click the XBMC shortcut in the Startup menu, select properties and click in the "Shortcut Key" field. Now press the green button and you should see ctrl-shift-W appear. Click OK. Now the green button will start XBMC and it will restore XBMC if it's minimised.

To change/add functions to buttons you need a custom keyboard.xml. Look in %appdata%\xbmc\addons\plugin.script.mceremote and doubling click in the resources folder then the Data folder. Run the batch file CopyKeyboardDotXML.bat and it will create a template keyboard.xml. Run:

notepad %appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml

to edit the file in Notepad.

XBMC has millions of actions, and it's not always obvious what action you need. If you have specific requirements post them here and I'll give you the changes you need to your keyboard.xml. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly :-)

JR

trying to find a way to open the "context menu". most other functions seems to work Smile