Kodi Community Forum
Newznab - Anyone using it? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Newznab - Anyone using it? (/showthread.php?tid=82119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - silvine - 2012-12-15

I've installed the newznab installer on my Synology NAS but it keeps telling me Pear isn't installed. I've checked in Terminal and the Pear command works. All the other newznab checks are fine.

What can I do?

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - zepfan - 2012-12-15

I made a little script to pull releases if anyone is interested.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
cd /var/www/newznab/misc/update_scripts
php update_binaries.php
php update_releases.php

Name it NZB.sh (make executable) and add it to your cron job like so
0,15,30,45 * * * * /home/USERNAME/Scripts/NZB.sh

That means it'll pull and populate ever 15 minutes.

Hope that helps. I've got this (paid version) working pretty well on ubuntu, so if anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to help.

(2012-12-14, 20:34)millercentral Wrote: I haven't yet looked through the release, but I do have a couple of questions:

- Is it possible to run newznab on a port other than 80? If so, can SickBeard/CouchPotato/Headphones/etc be configured to talk to it on that port?

- Is there a good guide for which subset of usenet groups to index based on interested content types (for example, if you only want to focus video and music releases)

Thanks!

1) I'm not sure, since it's meant to be run like a webserver on your /var/www folder.
2) Here's a Link (posted on r/usenet) of the groups that it can pull from. When you upgrade to plus, you'll get a full listing of groups, and what's in them. It'll also update your regex automatically so you don't have to fool around with that.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - Saner - 2012-12-15

It runs fine on any port (why wouldn't it)

just change your webserver's listen port port Nod

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - kbekus - 2012-12-15

(2012-12-15, 06:40)zepfan Wrote: I made a little script to pull releases if anyone is interested.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
php update_binaries.php
php update_releases.php

Hope that helps. I've got this (paid version) working pretty well on ubuntu, so if anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to help.

there's already a script there in the misc/update_scripts/nix_scripts or win_scripts folders that do this task for you..... it just cycles somewhat continuously pulling down headers and processing them. No need for a CRON job - in fact the authors specifically state in the README not to use CRON. It seems to me based on casual observation (i.e. not well researched) that the file in nix_scripts seems to do more stuff.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - Saner - 2012-12-15

Also in addiction if you are using the paid version its worth playing with update_binaries_threaded.php too

it will do 10 threads (although you can change this) ($ps->maxChildren = 10; I would guess)

so even with it set at 2 its going to do the initial pull twice as fast.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - zepfan - 2012-12-15

(2012-12-15, 12:37)kbekus Wrote:
(2012-12-15, 06:40)zepfan Wrote: I made a little script to pull releases if anyone is interested.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
php update_binaries.php
php update_releases.php

there's already a script there in the misc/update_scripts/nix_scripts or win_scripts folders that do this task for you..... it just cycles somewhat continuously pulling down headers and processing them. No need for a CRON job - in fact the authors specifically state in the README not to use CRON. It seems to me based on casual observation (i.e. not well researched) that the file in nix_scripts seems to do more stuff.

Well hell, I'm 0/2 in this thread!

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - jaysel - 2012-12-15

I've just built a NewzNab server, and am looking for some people to test it for me.
This site was rapidly put into place after the demise of NZBMatrix. Whilst I don't expect this site to be anything nearly as good as the 'matrix - it will prove a stop gap for HD movie & tv nzb's. Please bear with us, as the historical side needs to be backfilled, which will take a number of weeks. So don't expect to find much other than new releases.
I will add more and more groups over time.
We are backfilling TV & Movies (preference for HD quality). However, we are open to ideas of what people want.
We should be doing a mass import of several months of nzb's mid next week. At which pint the backlog should look a little prettier!!

PM me and I will send you the url[/align]

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - tangx - 2012-12-15

(2012-12-11, 21:23)farscapesg01 Wrote:
(2012-12-11, 14:05)fungi Wrote: Anybody know how to balance connections between newznab scraping headers and downloading with sabnzbd from one usenet account?

I have a usenet account that allows for 20 connections at one time. If I try to download something with sabnzbd while newznab is downloading headers I get an error in sabnzbd:

Code:
2012-12-11 03:41:23,729    ERROR:    Too many connections to server secure.Usenetserver.com:443

I figure the fix should be to change sabnzbd to use say - 15 connections and newznab the other 5, but I can't find where I can set that in any of the newznab files.

Also when scraping a certain group the update binaries script gets stuck on this for long periods of time:

Code:
Processing alt.binaries.hdtv.x264
Attempting to repair 1 parts...
-repairing 0 to 0

Not too sure what's going on there...

I get the exact same issue a.b.hdtv.x264 getting stuck and actually killing the update_binaries process.

As to using sabnzbd and newznab with the same account, I had the same issues and just set Sabnzbd to only use 25 of my 30 connections and haven't seen anymore errors with Newznab not being able to authenticate to the newsgroup provider.

Is there a way to filter out some of the results from being shown? This is my first foray into Ubuntu/PHP/etc. For example, I get results showing like

Hdoqohdon-419594192-201212120204
Dduadqydyr-1136150107-201212112354
etc.

Do I need to filter out non-english releases? Apply some other filter?

has anyone figured out how to remove all these garbage results. I'm having the same issue. Seems to be regex 729 but i dont wanna go in and delete a prespecified regex.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - chrisuk11 - 2012-12-15

anyone able to put together a decent guide on how to set this up?
Also providing some info on HDD usage etc

What are peoples views as to whether it is actually worth doing? Rather than using some other nzb indexer?

I tjhink the main things to index are TV and movies for most people

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - PogMoThoin - 2012-12-15

Is there any skins available for Newznab, the default few are pretty dire

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - jatilq - 2012-12-16

(2012-12-15, 20:33)chrisuk11 Wrote: anyone able to put together a decent guide on how to set this up?

What are peoples views as to whether it is actually worth doing? Rather than using some other nzb indexer?

There is a very good guide posted a few pages back you just have to scan through it. The guide has images to follow for windows.

I will include the link, but Its not my gem of a find.

http://www.tiag.me/how-to-index-usenet/
From the website someone posted and I just reposted ... Here are the titles of some nice articles "How to backfill newznab safely without bloating your database", "Newznab frequently asked questions", "Installing A basic Newznab+ with XAMPP on Windows"

http://www.tiag.me/category/newznab/

Credit goes to the first person who posted this days ago and the author if the blog... I just started to see people asking without reading all the pages....

I would suggest reading the comments on each page because the author tries to help out there as well.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - jaysel - 2012-12-16

(2012-12-15, 17:29)jaysel Wrote: I've just built a NewzNab server, and am looking for some people to test it for me.
This site was rapidly put into place after the demise of NZBMatrix. Whilst I don't expect this site to be anything nearly as good as the 'matrix - it will prove a stop gap for HD movie & tv nzb's. Please bear with us, as the historical side needs to be backfilled, which will take a number of weeks. So don't expect to find much other than new releases.
I will add more and more groups over time.
We are backfilling TV & Movies (preference for HD quality). However, we are open to ideas of what people want.
We should be doing a mass import of several months of nzb's mid next week. At which pint the backlog should look a little prettier!!

PM me and I will send you the url[/align]

I'm afraid registration has closed now.
One we have backfilled, and checked for any problems we will open this up again

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - chrisuk11 - 2012-12-16

Thanks Smile

I have had a quick read through, and seems a good clear guide. As Couchpotato uses an RSS feed to search for your "wanted" list. How do you go about creating this, or is there an alternative way of using this with CP ?

(2012-12-16, 03:45)jatilq Wrote:
(2012-12-15, 20:33)chrisuk11 Wrote: anyone able to put together a decent guide on how to set this up?

There is a very good guide posted a few pages back you just have to scan through it. The guide has images to follow for windows.

I will include the link, but Its not my gem of a find.

http://www.tiag.me/how-to-index-usenet/
From the website someone posted and I just reposted ... Here are the titles of some nice articles "How to backfill newznab safely without bloating your database", "Newznab frequently asked questions", "Installing A basic Newznab+ with XAMPP on Windows"

http://www.tiag.me/category/newznab/

Credit goes to the first person who posted this days ago and the author if the blog... I just started to see people asking without reading all the pages....

I would suggest reading the comments on each page because the author tries to help out there as well.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - Henkske - 2012-12-16

The garbage is mostly in TV>Other and Movies >Other.
I disabled the view of those catergorys and no more junkBig Grin

You can see the category in de main screen. You will so that all those strange names are in the OTHER category.

You can disable it in de admin page. Edit Categories

Good Luck

(2012-12-15, 20:33)tangx Wrote:
(2012-12-11, 21:23)farscapesg01 Wrote:
(2012-12-11, 14:05)fungi Wrote: Anybody know how to balance connections between newznab scraping headers and downloading with sabnzbd from one usenet account?

I have a usenet account that allows for 20 connections at one time. If I try to download something with sabnzbd while newznab is downloading headers I get an error in sabnzbd:

Code:
2012-12-11 03:41:23,729    ERROR:    Too many connections to server secure.Usenetserver.com:443

I figure the fix should be to change sabnzbd to use say - 15 connections and newznab the other 5, but I can't find where I can set that in any of the newznab files.

Also when scraping a certain group the update binaries script gets stuck on this for long periods of time:

Code:
Processing alt.binaries.hdtv.x264
Attempting to repair 1 parts...
-repairing 0 to 0

Not too sure what's going on there...

I get the exact same issue a.b.hdtv.x264 getting stuck and actually killing the update_binaries process.

As to using sabnzbd and newznab with the same account, I had the same issues and just set Sabnzbd to only use 25 of my 30 connections and haven't seen anymore errors with Newznab not being able to authenticate to the newsgroup provider.

Is there a way to filter out some of the results from being shown? This is my first foray into Ubuntu/PHP/etc. For example, I get results showing like

Hdoqohdon-419594192-201212120204
Dduadqydyr-1136150107-201212112354
etc.

Do I need to filter out non-english releases? Apply some other filter?

has anyone figured out how to remove all these garbage results. I'm having the same issue. Seems to be regex 729 but i dont wanna go in and delete a prespecified regex.

RE: Newznab - Anyone using it? - Harro - 2012-12-16

I have this running on my Unraid box. So far it has been really smooth and updating every 10 minutes.