Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Slingbox Client - Development Status - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: XBMC Slingbox Client - Development Status (/showthread.php?tid=82597)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

- Harry Muscle - 2011-05-09

jas722 Wrote:Ok, I think I have the paths will post them here in case anyone runs into similar problems:

This is for the newest release of XBMC Live, unsure about the other versions.

/usr/share/xbmc/language/English - Strings.xml

/usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720P - DialogPlayEjectCancel.xml

/usr/lib/xbmc - xbmc.bin

Going to attempt to add my slingbox solo as a source as soon as I get the external IP address from my parents house. We'll see how it goes since reading through most of these posts goes over my head, newbie to the Linux world.

Can I get the port off the sling box stream that i usually use in a web browser?

Dunno how successful I will be since it seems there are a lot of behind the scenes tweaks and *.xml settings to be changed. If anyone has set this up before I would love to hear how you did it. :-)

Edit: ok I think I did something wrong....after replacing these files and rebooting xbmc live will not even launch :-( Boots into a XBMC loading screen then just flashes "Ubuntu xbmc login:" over and over.

Any help?

Maybe I should just wait for the user guide lol

Figured out what the issue is. Apparently XBMC Live is compiled with a different prefix (location of data files) ... so I'll post a new XBMC.bin binary for XBMC Live shortly.

Harry

keith Wrote:Hey Harry, mind editing the 1st post and putting in the code/relevant setup info I need so I can attempt an ATV2 build?

Thanks man! This is awesome. Makes me want to rush out and grab a slingbox if I can use atv2s as settops Smile

That's actually a good idea ... I'll try to get around to that when I have some spare time. In the mean time ... all the code you need is located in:

77 (PR)

Hope that helps,
Harry

Updated files for anyone wanting to use this with XBMC Live (apparently XBMC Live uses slightly different compile options so I needed to make a new binary for it to make it work): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VE0PK0O3

Untar the file you download. It contains two files, xbmc.bin and strings.xml. Copy the xbmc.bin file to /usr/lib/xbmc overwriting the existing xbmc.bin file and copy the strings.xml file to /usr/share/xbmc/language/English/strings.xml overwriting the existing strings.xml file. Make sure you keep the permissions the same on the new files so as not to break anything.

If you require more step by step instructions (ie: how to untar, change permissions, etc.) feel free to post here or start another thread and hopefully someone with a bit more time will be able to help out ... I'm on the run at the moment Smile

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. This has been tested by myself to make sure it actually works with XBMC Live 10.1. Smile

P.P.S. This binary contains the latest (and most likely final) version of the Slingbox Patch and also the first revision of the Disc Stub patch.

- ktjensen - 2011-05-09

Harry - I assume that the code you are putting together needs some version of running FLASH in the XBMC build to get XBMC to play a stream from my SLINGBOX? Is that correct, that I need a way to play a FLASH file from within XBMC?

Reason why I am asking, is that there is no FLASH in the XBMC build for the Apple TV 2 (aka ATV2).

- ProphetVX - 2011-05-10

ktjensen Wrote:Harry - I assume that the code you are putting together needs some version of running FLASH in the XBMC build to get XBMC to play a stream from my SLINGBOX? Is that correct, that I need a way to play a FLASH file from within XBMC?

Reason why I am asking, is that there is no FLASH in the XBMC build for the Apple TV 2 (aka ATV2).

1. Slingbox doesn't use a flash video format. It uses VC-1 which is the same video format you find in blu-rays, wmv's and silverlight.

2. The ATV2 supports flash streams, just anything beyond SD the CPU struggles due to no GPU decoding.

- Geeba - 2011-05-10

Anyone got some pointers on how to set all this up? - I had no idea a Slingbox client was available... I remember it being talked about back in the Xbox days... but didnt know it actually happened...

I have a spare slingbox at home.... do I need a PVR build of XBMC? cant it change channel etc?

- w2kwizard - 2011-05-14

Does anybody have the channel change working? I'm not sure where to start, I know the plugin supports it. I have a remote setup and working and I can connect to my slingbox and get video with no problems, just can't change channels.

Thanks!

B

- crackers8199 - 2011-05-16

has anyone gotten this working with a pro-hd yet?

also...

Quote:AirPlay feature in iOS
Not sure if this is the appropriate area to post my comment but I've got my Slingbox Pro-HD streaming to my apple tv 2 via AirPlay using my iPhone 4 without any problems.

Only once (don't ask me how), but my iPhone 4 which was sending the AirPlay to my apple tv 2 had somehow encountered an error in which I decided to shut my phone completely off and the Slingbox was miraculously somehow still streaming with AirPlay completely disabled from my iPhone!

Maybe a developer can use this info into porting a standalone app into the Apple TV 2 but by using AirPlay to sling onto my $99 box I have no complaints!!

how was the picture quality? i'm in the market for an ipad and this might be handy to use if it works and the quality is good enough...

- nokian - 2011-05-17

ATV1 build please. Am I asking for too much? Smile

- mediumdry - 2011-05-18

It's working on a Slingbox Pro, watching some tv, although it's difficult to change channels, it seems to only be possible by typing in the numbers, which is difficult to do with my apple remote Smile

What would be alternatives, to change channels in the Slingbox viewer?

- w2kwizard - 2011-05-21

@Med - What build of XBMC are you using? I'm using the custom version on Windows XP that Harry released based on 10.1. Even with inputting the numbers I can't seem to get my channels to change. Did you do anything custom with your setup to get the channel change working? What does your slingboxsettings.xml file look like?

TYIA,

B

- Harry Muscle - 2011-05-23

w2kwizard Wrote:@Med - What build of XBMC are you using? I'm using the custom version on Windows XP that Harry released based on 10.1. Even with inputting the numbers I can't seem to get my channels to change. Did you do anything custom with your setup to get the channel change working? What does your slingboxsettings.xml file look like?

TYIA,

B

I'm assuming that you have an IR Blaster connected to your Slingbox and it changes channels on another device (like a Satelite Receiver or Digital Box), correct? If that is the case, you'll need to create a custom slingboxsettings.xml file with the correct settings for changing channels. Have you done that already and are still having issues, or were you not aware of that step? If you're not aware of this step, post 86 (http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=722044&postcount=86) has more info, as well as post 101 (http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=727418&postcount=101). If you are aware of this step, care to post your xbmc.log file and your slingboxsettings.xml file so we can take a look and help out.

Thanks,
Harry

Geeba Wrote:Anyone got some pointers on how to set all this up? - I had no idea a Slingbox client was available... I remember it being talked about back in the Xbox days... but didnt know it actually happened...

I have a spare slingbox at home.... do I need a PVR build of XBMC? cant it change channel etc?

Take a look at the first post in this thread. I've updated it to include the basic info required to get this setup.

Thanks,
Harry

mediumdry Wrote:It's working on a Slingbox Pro, watching some tv, although it's difficult to change channels, it seems to only be possible by typing in the numbers, which is difficult to do with my apple remote Smile

What would be alternatives, to change channels in the Slingbox viewer?

Please post more details about your setup (ie: are you controlling a Satelite box, digital box, etc.), post a copy of your SlingboxSettings.xml file (on pastebin.com) and your xbmc.log file (on pastebin.com) that shows you trying to change channels, etc. I'll see if I can figure out what's going on.

Thanks,
Harry

- cooltech - 2011-06-02

HarryMuscle, your hard work on this project is much appreciated. Unfortunately, I've tried several times on the regular (non-live) distro of XBMC with the strings.xml and XBMC binary to no avail. I've verified the permissions are the same but the program never runs after I replace my current executable with the one provided. Any ideas? I would really like to get my Slingbox working and take advantage of this feature. Thanks.