Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Slingbox Client - Development Status - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: XBMC Slingbox Client - Development Status (/showthread.php?tid=82597)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

- phoenix_iii - 2011-07-14

I just used the build that NitoTV installed, XBMC 10.0.0

I put in the sling box as

sling://administrator:p@[email protected]

I did not specify a port or anything else. Worked first try.

Just have to specify it as a source, which there is no 'default for'. I picked SMB and then went in and edited the path I think.

- ronmcse - 2011-07-14

phoenix_iii Wrote:I just used the build that NitoTV installed, XBMC 10.0.0

I put in the sling box as

sling://administrator:p@[email protected]

I did not specify a port or anything else. Worked first try.

Just have to specify it as a source, which there is no 'default for'. I picked SMB and then went in and edited the path I think.

Thanks, what do you mean by name-of-remote-server.org

- phoenix_iii - 2011-07-14

I use no-ip.org, they give you out a free DNS name.

Basically, your computer, and your slingbox, have an IP address which is issued by your internet service provider. Unless you pay extra for a 'static ip', that # can change from time to time.

So, you use a domain name, and run a piece of software on your home computer that will talk with the domain name server to make sure that if the number ever changes, the name points to the right number.

So, if I register xbmcisawesome.no-ip.org, when I try to talk to it, it redirects to an IP address (of my home computer, where my slingbox is hooked).

Conversely, you could use the IP address of your home computer, and it could work forever, or less than a month, and you would have to change it. To get your ipaddress, go to something like http://www.ipchicken.com

Lastly, if your firewall is turned up (in your router, possibly), it could block remote access to your sling box, that's why all the tutorials say to make sure you can access your sling box from across the internet. You cannot use the Unique Sling ID to contact your sling box through xbmc. That's the really long stringy number.

- ronmcse - 2011-07-15

Ok, I entered all the info in and my slingbox loads, but the picture is pixellated and the audio pops in and out sounding like a robot! How do I correct this and control the slingbox. How do I control changing channels, etc.. I use RemoteHD on my iPhone to control the ATV2. My slingbox is connected to my Cable DVR box and has a Coax cable running into it for basic tuner channels.

----Edit Update---
Ok I read the very first post of this thread and see that since I have a HD model that my video may be encrypted. I don't use the HDMI, I only use Yellow, Red, and White RCA Cables. According to post 86 on this thread I may have to create a .xml file and edit it and upload it somewhere. Can someone help me understand what I need to do exactly and where to put the .xml file? Thanks so much!

- ktjensen - 2011-07-15

I kind of wonder if slingbox is a dead
end path. Maybe should use a tuner card with some good live compression streaming transcoding software.

- Harry Muscle - 2011-07-15

I've got an idea for cracking the Slingbox Pro-HD encryption that I'm hoping to try out ... so I'm looking for anyone who can volunteer access to their Slingbox Pro-HD for a day or two. If anyone is willing to give me access please send me a PM with details (IP address, Port (if different than default), Password, etc.).

Thanks,
Harry

- ktjensen - 2011-07-18

ktjensen Wrote:Just want to confirm that SLINGBOX SOLO will work over the internet to a remote XBMC client (my apple TV 2). works nice.

thanks HARRY M. !!

I will help and give advice to anyone who wants to get this running. At least while my thoughts are available on what I did.

The user name "Administrator" was the key for me. And of course getting the correct IP address for the local slingbox (in the LAN, and then subsequently getting the routed PORT IP address correct.

Mkae sure you can get this running on a PC XBMC client first, then try it on the Apple TV 2 client.

Also found some more issues. The SLINGBOX actually uses TWO IP addresses to have functionality.

1) IP address for it, to get on your network as a device. This is assigned to the MAC address physically in the box.

2) The second IP address is set when you go into SETUP and then select SET UP FOR INTERNET VIEWING. You might pick automatic, but I always pick manual router configurations. An IP address is given at this time. You now need to open a PORT on your router that conforms to this IP address. Yes, it is required that you clearly understand PORTS in order to get this all working right.

Now I have this all consistently working, and able to be reproduced from a factory setup slingbox. Finally solved an issue that was confusing me. Hope others can use this for practical advice in getting this working well with a SLINGBOX SOLO.

- ktjensen - 2011-07-18

Another quick note on this temperamental SLINGBOX. DO NOT skip any steps in the SET UP FOR INTERNET VIEWING. You want to make sure you test it, and that the SET UP tells you that you are ready for internet viewing. If you skip anything it looks like the SLINGBOX will go into some reduced connection, that will not allow you to connect with XBMC. Found this out this morning while experimenting and verifying settings.

If the slingbox reboots due to power outage, you might have to re activate SET UP FOR INTERNET VIEWING again, just to make it work. Which might give you a new different IP address (this is what routers do) for internet viewing, and require a router change to unblock that PORT. Talk about a real random luck, if you can make it work.

So temperamental. Consider yourself lucky if it works for you the first time.

- deshwasi - 2011-07-19

do the resolution settings in the xml file make any diff? if yes, anyone know whats the max resolution of the slingbox classic?

- ktjensen - 2011-07-19

Just an FYI for SLINGBOX users. Picked up a copy of JAKSTA FOR SLINGBOX for $20 today, used a discount code of MACAPPGUIDE, while noticing that the actual price had dropped to $30.

Basically this tool JAKSTA will give you DVR capabilities with your SLINGBOX (solo in my case) to record shows to your PC for later watching. Good tool at that price point, and will supplement your viewing habits. It suffers from the same issues as the XBMC SLINGBOX tool, in that you can only record the lowest resolutions, that is un-encrypted.

So you have LIVE TV watching, and recorded TV watching later. With XBMC and JAKSTA and an FTP file server tool (like FILEZILLA that I use).

- Harry Muscle - 2011-07-20

For anyone following this thread just wanted to let you know that I've updated the wiki page (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Slingbox_Client) on this feature with a new method of determining IR codes for your buttons (if you need them). Also I'm happy to report that I've found a way to receive a stream from the Pro-HD models ... it looks awful at the moment, but at least it's an actually unencrypted stream.

Thanks,
Harry

- waldo22 - 2011-07-20

Quote:Also I'm happy to report that I've found a way to receive a stream from the Pro-HD models ...

That's great!!!

Can you explain what it was when you have time?

I can't believe you figured it out.

-Wes

- ktjensen - 2011-07-20

ktjensen Wrote:Also found some more issues. The SLINGBOX actually uses TWO IP addresses to have functionality.

1) IP address for it, to get on your network as a device. This is assigned to the MAC address physically in the box.

2) The second IP address is set when you go into SETUP and then select SET UP FOR INTERNET VIEWING. You might pick automatic, but I always pick manual router configurations. An IP address is given at this time. You now need to open a PORT on your router that conforms to this IP address. Yes, it is required that you clearly understand PORTS in order to get this all working right.

Now I have this all consistently working, and able to be reproduced from a factory setup slingbox. Finally solved an issue that was confusing me. Hope others can use this for practical advice in getting this working well with a SLINGBOX SOLO.

This has become an issue with the SLINGBOX SOLO. Hoping that someone else notices. Last night my SLINGBOX reverted and was not connected to the internet. Lost connection, and had to again go into SET UP FOR INTERNET VIEWING to get it running again. Not sure if this is the SLINGBOX or the router in my LAN. Remember that I am doing this all LONG DISTANCE and not in the local LAN. (requires me to use RDP to get into a local machine on that remote LAN).

My local address for the SLINGBOX as mapped by the router to the MAC address is 192.168.0.190 while the IP address used locally for the internet connection is 192.168.0.254 with an open port on 5001.

Two different addresses to the one device. Can not determine yet why I loose the INTERNET VIEWING capabilities after a few hours of use. The PORT 5001 is manually fixed (forwarded) in my router to 192.168.0.254 so really suspect the SLINGBOX as dropping the connection for the internet. *** Just changed the internet address for the slingbox to 192.168.0.175 which is in the range of allowed DHCP addresses on my local router. Hope that will make the SLINGBOX stay available over the internet.

Any ideas on this issue Harry? or am I on my own, because I am REMOTE viewing over a distance. Will also ask the folks at JAKSTA (APPLIAN) if they can understand the issue, and have seen it before.

- ktjensen - 2011-07-21

ktjensen Wrote:Two different addresses to the one device. Can not determine yet why I loose the INTERNET VIEWING capabilities after a few hours of use. The PORT 5001 is manually fixed (forwarded) in my router to 192.168.0.254 so really suspect the SLINGBOX as dropping the connection for the internet. *** Just changed the internet address for the slingbox to 192.168.0.175 which is in the range of allowed DHCP addresses on my local router. Hope that will make the SLINGBOX stay available over the internet.

Any ideas on this issue Harry? or am I on my own, because I am REMOTE viewing over a distance. Will also ask the folks at JAKSTA (APPLIAN) if they can understand the issue, and have seen it before.

Just happened again. After I dropped the connection via XBMC to my streaming remote SLINGBOX, and then went to watch something else for a couple hours, then came back to SLINGBOX, my connection is lost. No ability to play the SLINGBOX. Could this be the exit phase of ending my SLINGBOX connection from XBMC? Maybe the code is not "exiting" the SLINGBOX correctly. Do we need some kind of log off sequence? Pure speculation on my part.

*** Just tried making the SLINGBOX address the same as the internet address. seems the box still works. This might be the actual issue. The SLINGBOX can set itself up to have two IP addresses, and needs to have only the one address. Will check over the next couple days to see if the SLINGBOX remains persistent and functional over the internet now.

NOTE: also noticed that I can set the SLINGBOX SOLO resolution manually with the SLINGPLAYER client software. Not going much beyond the low resolution settings, but the image seems clearer, after doing some manual tweaking.

*** Two days later. This issue remains, and you will need to do this repeatedly. It is IMPORTANT to remember to activate SET UP FOR INTERNET VIEWING on your slingbox, else you will never see your slingbox via XBMC.

- ktjensen - 2011-07-22

Thanks Harry!! Even given the troubles I had (have), this is all still good technology, and appreciated effort.