Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Basic - a new skin in the works for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] Basic - a new skin in the works for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=83084)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- xbs08 - 2010-10-21

That why there's scrollbars and sms jump amongst other ways of going thru the library.

- Griffith86 - 2010-10-21

loggio Wrote:Ok, i was just thinking. I have over 1,000 movies in my library. Scrolling through them to find something to watch with small thumbnails in the bottom right corner can become quite frustrating. Looks good. But not practical. And hard to see on a big screen.

Lools great though, keep it up.

Well, that's why I said this earlier in the thread:

Quote:The main reasoning for this (for me at least), is the final skin will be exactly what I want in a skin (looks & feel) then if people want to mod it and change things to their tastes, then they will be able to.

So, if you want to add that to the skin later on, then that's fine. But that is just something I don't plan on adding myself. And I use a 52" flat screen and it looks fine on my end.

Also, your views only have 2 dvd covers more compared to my movie view, the only difference is they are bigger. So I'm not sure how mine is less practical than yours, the only difference is my movie covers are smaller but can still tell exactly what movie they are.

- loggio - 2010-10-21

xbs08 Wrote:That why there's scrollbars and sms jump amongst other ways of going thru the library.

I understand that... Sms jump is only helpful if you know what you're looking for. larger thumbnails are much better in my opinion to help influence you in what movie you choose to watch. Fanart on the other hand is completely the oposite, more of a distraction really.

But thats fine, was only a quick mock-up idea. Thought i would throw it out there. just figure theres a lot of unused canvas there.

Keep it up.

- Hitcher - 2010-10-21

loggio Wrote:just figure theres a lot pf wasted canvas there.
Don't take this personally (I've seen this opinion many times before) but I don't understand why some people feel the need to fill the screen with info when the use of white space can look a hell of a lot nicer.

- loggio - 2010-10-21

Hitcher Wrote:Don't take this personally (I've seen this opinion many times before) but I don't understand why some people feel the need to fill the screen with info when the use of white space can look a hell of a lot nicer.

I agree honestly. But theres a difference between filling the screen with crap, and being smart and clean about it. I love the refocus theme because of its simplicity. and its slide poster view is great and theres no cluttered crap, its uniform and clean with nice big thumbnails.

Just like rapiers thumbnail view. make use of the space, but be smart about it. A lot of the themes dont do this, they either lack way too much or are simply packed full of useless crap.

But honestly i dont want to sound negative here. I love what you're doing.

- Stranger - 2010-10-22

Griffith86 Wrote:I don't own a PS3 so I have no idea what that looks like, sorry.

Quote:Ok, i was just thinking. I have over 1,000 movies in my library. Scrolling through them to find something to watch with small thumbnails in the bottom right corner can become quite frustrating. Looks good. But not practical. And hard to see on a big screen.

I felt the same to start, but as I followed the thread I have grown to like the idea of the skin catering to simplicity. Frustrating for users like me and yourself, but I imagine it will do very well in the repository especially for new user's

- jag0 - 2010-10-22

Loggio,

I love you're poster view. I think your absolutely right that the poster view greatly influences what you watch (especially when company is over). So having a big attractive poster is really nice.

Maybe you could start creating the art from now to Mod this skin when it's released?

Great work on the skin so far! Again, I have a feeling that choosing between this and Welo (if its finished and released) is going to be very hard!

- stephenvz - 2010-10-22

I really like how simple it is with not too much information thrown all over it.

Cant wait to see it in action, keep up the good work

- Griffith86 - 2010-10-22

Here is the new stuff that is done:

Context Menu

OSD

Default Skin Colors

And yeah, Stranger, that's basically what I'm going for.

- loggio - 2010-10-22

looking great Smile

one quick question...

Do you plan on keeping the text that small? i'll need binoculars to read that. hehe

- Griffith86 - 2010-10-23

loggio Wrote:looking great Smile

one quick question...

Do you plan on keeping the text that small? i'll need binoculars to read that. hehe

No, it will probably be slightly bigger.

- Griffith86 - 2010-10-23

Logo View is done.

- Griffith86 - 2010-10-24

Settings (Mockup)

Let me know what you think.

- loggio - 2010-10-24

its great

- jag0 - 2010-10-24

Question, are these mockups/designs actually being coded as yet? or are they for the most part just static designs?