Kodi Community Forum
Play (RSS) podcasting / podcast and videocast nativly in in XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Play (RSS) podcasting / podcast and videocast nativly in in XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=8322)

Pages: 1 2 3

Play (RSS) podcasting / podcast and videocast nativly in in XBMC - italic_dj - 2004-12-17

how come no one it seems has picked up on podcasting for xbmc? if you do not know what podcasting is please read this wikipedia defination - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/podcasting.

the basic idea is, that a rss feed has an enclosure element which points to a location where to download media (typically a mpeg3 or torrent file). there are already 100's of podcasts from radio stations to homebrew broadcasters. but theres no douht that its a great resource of media and video wont be that far behind in the near future.

usually a little program like ipodder or doppler reads the rss feeds every few hours and collects the content from the enclosure element when it comes across one. i can imagine this being very easy to do as a python script in xbmc, maybe as a background task while you watch films or listen to music not from the internet. actually i believe ipodder is actually written in python already!!!

i've already seen two python scripts which can do pretty much what i've said they just need to be put together. yarssr.py and download apleasure_zip.py. its just a shame i'm not a python programmer...

- jaga - 2004-12-17

see xbmc.blogspot.com -- damn i seem to be plugging his site often.

- italic_dj - 2004-12-17

yep great stuff!!! need to subscribe to the site rss as i keep coming back to it now and then.

- IndieRockSteve - 2004-12-18

to play podcasts in xbmc?
you realize podcasts are just mp3's right?
so use ipodder to download them to a shared directory on your computer and link that in xbmc for playback, voila! instant podcasts...

- italic_dj - 2004-12-18

no thats what i currently do.

i think it would be great to not only play podcasts in xbmc but to beable to subscribe to them like what ipodder does at the moment. in the same way the xlink kai client was moved in to xbmc, so should the ipodder client is my feelings. and yes that would allow for broadcatching style downloads in the future too.

oh might as well plug my blog along with whats the up with the xbmc. cubicgarden.com. the home entertainment category is mainly about xbmc

- rab154 - 2005-03-09

ok podcasting is increasing in popularity and ive been listening to adam curry's "daily source code" ever since i got my mp3 player, so i was wondering if it was possible to add support to view the podcast directory and then download a selected stream, i know podcasting is mainly for portable mp3 players but i tought it would be pretty cool to have the option of downloading and listening to them on my xbox, any one else? and is it doable?

- rab154 - 2005-03-21

ok i was thinking that maybe this would be quite easy to do, as far as i know podcasts are received via rss feeds and we know xbmc can receive rss feeds already, so is it possible to intergrate podcasting, as it seems the functions are already there and just need tweaking.

im no developer but i just assume that this suggestion is more practical than others, any one else able to shed some light?

- bitplane - 2005-03-21

i think this is a good idea, and it sounds like an ideal "my first python script". try rallying support for it the python support/requests forum and some hero is bound to pick it up eventually

for anyone who wants to write this, here's some links:
podcast.net - list of podcasts
description of rss files
and help(minidom), help(urllib)
Smile

- rab154 - 2005-03-21

cheers for your suport m8, ive posted in the python forum, hopefully some1 will scrape something together

- jnaeff - 2005-07-17

i wanted to reuquest of it is posible to intergrate podcasting. it is already build in itunes but itsn't yet in xbmc. you can use a python script but it would be great if it is suport natively.

- mingistech - 2005-12-24

i'd really like to see podcast support added to xbmc.

not sure if there is already an xbox app out there that supports this.

anyone know of an app that already does this?

- kraqh3d - 2005-12-24

xbmc should be able to listen to a podcast. if you know the url of the stream, just copy it into a .strm file. if you're looking for some more advanced functionality, ie parsing an rss feed with streams in it, you'll need to write a python script. (actually, one may already exist. post an inquiry in the python forums.)

- Phin - 2005-12-25

check out xpodder @ xbmc scripts, does the job very well. :agree:

- NexusEclipse - 2006-04-27

i didn't see this posted anywhere and thought it was pretty spiffy so here it goes.
ever since i got my video ipod i found tons of legal free video podcasts (abc news now, etc) and now i got them to work for xbmc.
steps:
1. create a share for your podcast folder (mine was in my music\itunes)
2. edit your xboxmediacenter.xml to accept the video files. (i did a search for avi and then added the entensions for the files (mine were m4v i think)
3. sit back in your couch and pull up xbmc and you can now watch your favorite video podcasts on tv.

if you keep itunes on with auto update you will have new content every day. (this also works for the google video format, as well, which plays but the extention is not in the xml)

RSS Video Feeds - raid517 - 2007-01-27

Hi, I would like to be able to add my own .RSS video feeds to XBMC.

For example:

http://video.google.co.uk/videofeed?type=search&q=genre%3ADOCUMENTARY+duration%3Along&so=0&num=20&output=rss

Is the RSS video feed for Google video doccumentary. I would ideally like to add this feed to my list of aviable video sources in the My Video's section of XBMC.

I would similarly like to be able to do this with audio and image .rss feeds.

I am not certain how this could be achieved - although providing a PC based Firefox extension is one option where you can click on a RSS feed in firefox and have it added to the video sources list in XBMC.

Really this is just an attempt to have XBMC remain relevant and enter into the sphere of a true IPTV type application - and since .RSS seems like the best way to go to build suitable channels and programming, it seems like the most sensible direction in which to go.

Essentially it allows users to build all of their own IP TV channels - and to not have to wait for the major players to catch up and add support at some vague point in the distant future.

I know there are some third party python scripts that do something kind of similar - but the ones I have found are all fairly crude, do not allow you to add your own channels and do not add the media source to the main XBMC interface - all of which from my own perspective are extremely desirable.