Kodi Community Forum
MediaFrontPage - Web interface with widget type architecture to control multiple apps - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: MediaFrontPage - Web interface with widget type architecture to control multiple apps (/showthread.php?tid=83304)

- tom101 - 2011-08-27

You're right, it still doesn't work. My O/S is Debian. It's running on a Buffalo Linkstation NAS. I can see the widgets, just no content from them. Are there any other logs you think I should be looking at?

- _Mikie_ - 2011-08-27

Maybe try re installing Apache

https://github.com/MediaFrontPage/mediafrontpage/wiki/Apache-install

Its something obvious that has come up before but for the life of me I can't remember what the solution is! Maybe one of the other guys can help out when they pop by..

- speed32219 - 2011-08-27

I have just installed SAB, CP and SB. Opening multiple concurrent web pages to monitor things is a management challenge. Plus I need to keep an eye on disk space/usage and this app looks very promising.

I have read through the threads and I am a little confused. I do not know whose version would be best suited to my needs. Here is what I have installed, maybe you can point me to the right app.

CP
SB
SAB
Subsonic
Pandora
Headphones (soon) - Music is my biggest problem and management.

Also, can I manage the individual apps, like CP, within MFP. i.e. Add/remove/delete to CP or SB, start subsonic and select music/video, etc. streams. Sorry for the noob questions, but I tried pulling all this from the various threads but I am a person that likes everything on one page.

Is the first post by nick888 up to date as far as working features?

And it looks to be a great tool for just looking at what is going on, what new movies/TV's/Music has been added, etc.. Great job and I don't even have it installed yet.Laugh

- Archigos - 2011-08-27

speed32219 Wrote:I have just installed SAB, CP and SB. Opening multiple concurrent web pages to monitor things is a management challenge. Plus I need to keep an eye on disk space/usage and this app looks very promising.
The very reason this was created Smile

speed32219 Wrote:I have read through the threads and I am a little confused. I do not know whose version would be best suited to my needs.
When in doubt, use the official version from http://www.mediafrontpage.net which in your case should work well enough. You can try Deja's repo if you want the alternate look to your navigation.

As far as I know (could be wrong since I've been busy with other stuff) but none of the repo's have any integration/control/etc with Pandora.

speed32219 Wrote:Also, can I manage the individual apps, like CP, within MFP. i.e. Add/remove/delete to CP or SB, start subsonic and select music/video, etc. streams. Sorry for the noob questions, but I tried pulling all this from the various threads but I am a person that likes everything on one page.
I assume you've viewed some of the screenshots throughout the thread, the widgets on the main page (shown in most of the screenshots) don't have as full control as you're talking about, but if you click their name in the navigation (assuming it's configured correctly) essentially brings up that apps web interface (same as you currently view them) with the MFP Navigation still at the top of that page.

speed32219 Wrote:Is the first post by nick888 up to date as far as working features?
I've just read over the first post and it appears to be pretty current. Nick actually just did a copy/paste of the Official Repo's wiki (which I wrote the initial pages for). The guys that put a comment in their signature about the first post being out of date is semi confusing to new users, since Nick has updated the first post AFTER they started to do that.

speed32219 Wrote:And it looks to be a great tool for just looking at what is going on, what new movies/TV's/Music has been added, etc.. Great job and I don't even have it installed yet.Laugh
Correct, most of the widgets in their default state will give you that information via XBMC's JSON interface (back end stuff that the 'typical user' wont need to worry about) and there are even widgets like the Trakt one that pulls from outside sources to give you kind of a "what's trending now" perspective.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

-- On September 1st a collaborative project (so far Deja and myself) will go live and should become a 'one stop shop' for most of these types of questions and help with the "this post says this... but this post says that..." type of thing. Essentially the current Github's wiki on steroids. Smile Still waiting on gugahoi and the others to PM me so I can add them into the project.

- tom101 - 2011-08-27

_Mikie_ Wrote:Maybe try re installing Apache

Still nothing. I did some simple curl tests (I've never heard of curl before installing mfp) and I think it's working OK. Thanks anyway for your help.

- speed32219 - 2011-08-27

Archigos Wrote:The very reason this was created Smile

When in doubt, use the official version from http://www.mediafrontpage.net which in your case should work well enough. You can try Deja's repo if you want the alternate look to your navigation.

OK.
I assume you've viewed some of the screenshots throughout the thread, the widgets on the main page (shown in most of the screenshots) don't have as full control as you're talking about, but if you click their name in the navigation (assuming it's configured correctly) essentially brings up that apps web interface (same as you currently view them) with the MFP Navigation still at the top of that page.

That will work a treat, good enough me.

I've just read over the first post and it appears to be pretty current. Nick actually just did a copy/paste of the Official Repo's wiki (which I wrote the initial pages for). The guys that put a comment in their signature about the first post being out of date is semi confusing to new users, since Nick has updated the first post AFTER they started to do that.

That's good to know. It's nice when the first page has been updated, some of the addons you need to find the latest not on a repo, but in someones megaupload account, whcih is PIA.

Correct, most of the widgets in their default state will give you that information via XBMC's JSON interface (back end stuff that the 'typical user' wont need to worry about) and there are even widgets like the Trakt one that pulls from outside sources to give you kind of a "what's trending now" perspective.

Great.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

-- On September 1st a collaborative project (so far Deja and myself) will go live and should become a 'one stop shop' for most of these types of questions and help with the "this post says this... but this post says that..." type of thing. Essentially the current Github's wiki on steroids. Smile Still waiting on gugahoi and the others to PM me so I can add them into the project.

Wonderful, actual live support! Big Grin

- Archigos - 2011-08-27

speed32219 Wrote:Wonderful, actual live support! Big Grin

Insomnia and out of work on disability will do that for a person... When not dealing with doctors, I don't have much to do... so between playing video games and working on the upcoming project (which I want to welcome Mikie as the newest member) I just troll the forums to help.

- gugahoi - 2011-08-28

_Mikie_ Wrote:@gugahoi, please remove/fix these links. I can't send a push to the repo as I'm ahead of it now.

Hey Mikie, I'll try but as I've been saying I've been really busy. Furthermore I have not been very happy with my settings page. For some reason I also get some errors every now and then and it pisses me off. I would really like for other people to go through my code ( I think you have been doing that) and check for mistakes. If we can't improve it, it might be worth changing the way it works altogether. Maybe not using ajax to save and having it reload would be safer and possibly easier...?

I have been following the thread but haven't done much coding lately. Thanks to all of you who are helping out!! Keep up the good work.

- _Mikie_ - 2011-08-28

gugahoi Wrote:Hey Mikie, I'll try but as I've been saying I've been really busy. Furthermore I have not been very happy with my settings page. For some reason I also get some errors every now and then and it pisses me off. I would really like for other people to go through my code ( I think you have been doing that) and check for mistakes. If we can't improve it, it might be worth changing the way it works altogether. Maybe not using ajax to save and having it reload would be safer and possibly easier...?

I have been following the thread but haven't done much coding lately. Thanks to all of you who are helping out!! Keep up the good work.

Could I maybe get editing rights on the master repo then so I can make the changes directly? The settings page seems to work well for me and I'm happy with it. I've made some modifications here and there but in general I like it. We can discuss it once you have some time.

- gugahoi - 2011-08-28

_Mikie_ Wrote:Could I maybe get editing rights on the master repo then so I can make the changes directly? The settings page seems to work well for me and I'm happy with it. I've made some modifications here and there but in general I like it. We can discuss it once you have some time.

Done... modify away. Be careful now tho this is the official so don't forget to test it out before commiting your changes.

- tom101 - 2011-08-28

In case it's a clue to what's going wrong for me, going to the m directory on the webserver gives this error

PHP Code:
Fatal errorCall to undefined function getParameters() in /var/www/mfp/m/index.php on line 36 

- el_cabong - 2011-08-28

_Mikie_ Wrote:How many pages? 4 good?

4 would be a good start, however, would it not be just a little more work to make it so you can add pages on the fly, up to maybe 9 pages. I dont think ever needing more than 9, but I already have 4 xbmc boxes in my house, and i was thinking of adding a few more, plus using one of the pages for security cameras.

I know this would be a pain in the ass to make it dynamically expandable, but the versatility, I think, will allow for many custom uses for this framework beyond its current uses.

regardless, il be happy with 4+ static pages or dynamically expanding.

I hope to begin creating custom widgets soon, what is the current situation for submitting widgets for the community?

Thanks much for all your guys' work.

- _Mikie_ - 2011-08-28

tom101 Wrote:In case it's a clue to what's going wrong for me, going to the m directory on the webserver gives this error

PHP Code:
Fatal errorCall to undefined function getParameters() in /var/www/mfp/m/index.php on line 36 

Try this version https://github.com/DejaVu/mediafrontpage It has everything the master does just looks slightly different. The error about is something to do with the mobile version which I have no clue how it works. Sorry for me being so useless at helping..

- _Mikie_ - 2011-08-28

el_cabong Wrote:4 would be a good start, however, would it not be just a little more work to make it so you can add pages on the fly, up to maybe 9 pages. I dont think ever needing more than 9, but I already have 4 xbmc boxes in my house, and i was thinking of adding a few more, plus using one of the pages for security cameras.

I know this would be a pain in the ass to make it dynamically expandable, but the versatility, I think, will allow for many custom uses for this framework beyond its current uses.

regardless, il be happy with 4+ static pages or dynamically expanding.

I hope to begin creating custom widgets soon, what is the current situation for submitting widgets for the community?

Thanks much for all your guys' work.

I don't have the php know how to create dynamically growing pages. Its also hard with the way mfp was initially designed and coded. I currently have the basis of 4 pages which I'm hoping to have done soon. Manually expanding this isn't too hard and what I will do is write up a tutorial on how to do it for those who want more.

With regards to addings widgets to the community. Once you've created them and tested them you can either PM DeJaVu, gugahoi or myself and we can add them or better yet fork the main repo and then once you've added a widget send a pull request for it to be added to the master. If you get stuck along the way just let us know and we'll help you out Smile

- el_cabong - 2011-08-28

@ _Mikie_

That sounds perfect, I just need the ability to add pages, I didnt know if you meant it would be hard coded for 4 pages or expandable.

Thanks again for your work and support