Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Neon - a new skin for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Neon (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+----- Thread: [WIP] Neon - a new skin for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=83337)

- Jimmeh - 2010-12-22

stoli Wrote:The font never left. :-) It's been in the skin, just didn't have some non-english characters.

It left the menu, and made me sad in my pants Sad

On an unrelated note, anyone else having problems with the passion repo? A week or so ago I switched from git to the passion install in the interest of automating updates but it seems whenever it is updated my xbmc explodes. Today I went into the TV Shows menu and fell into a black hole of nothingness, so I restarted and it booted up in confluence. I checked the appearance menu "skin.neon.svn" is selected despite me being in confluence, and the addon browser shows neon isn't installed.

I checked my addons folder, and at least part of the skin seems to be there in "skin.neon.svn". This morning I switched back to confluence, closed xbmc, deleted the skin folder, restarted xbmc, and reinstalled neon from the passion repo again. No idea if that has fixed the problem yet, but I will let you know. Thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone else is having issues.

Cheers.

- Kalliban - 2010-12-22

Jimmeh Wrote:It left the menu, and made me sad in my pants Sad

On an unrelated note, anyone else having problems with the passion repo? A week or so ago I switched from git to the passion install in the interest of automating updates but it seems whenever it is updated my xbmc explodes. Today I went into the TV Shows menu and fell into a black hole of nothingness, so I restarted and it booted up in confluence. I checked the appearance menu "skin.neon.svn" is selected despite me being in confluence, and the addon browser shows neon isn't installed.

I checked my addons folder, and at least part of the skin seems to be there in "skin.neon.svn". This morning I switched back to confluence, closed xbmc, deleted the skin folder, restarted xbmc, and reinstalled neon from the passion repo again. No idea if that has fixed the problem yet, but I will let you know. Thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone else is having issues.

Cheers.

I've had the exact same problem. It appears that when an update is availiable, xbmc tries to update the skin (and removes it first). This causes some hickup and xbmc freezes after removing the skin but before installing the new version. Oo

Stoli, I have a question: On the home screen, tv shows is not translated, but movies and settings are. This looks a bit weird and it would be preferable if everything was translated or if nothing was! I only have movies, tv shows and settings, and right now it says:
"FILMER, TV SHOWS, INSTÄLLNINGAR" where it should say "FILMER, TV-SERIER, INSTÄLLNINGAR". Is this something you can fix easily? (I use Swedish as language)

- stoli - 2010-12-22

Kalliban Wrote:I've had the exact same problem. It appears that when an update is availiable, xbmc tries to update the skin (and removes it first). This causes some hickup and xbmc freezes after removing the skin but before installing the new version. Oo

I'll try and check with ppic on this one... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83632

Kalliban Wrote:Stoli, I have a question: On the home screen, tv shows is not translated, but movies and settings are. This looks a bit weird and it would be preferable if everything was translated or if nothing was! I only have movies, tv shows and settings, and right now it says:
"FILMER, TV SHOWS, INSTÄLLNINGAR" where it should say "FILMER, TV-SERIER, INSTÄLLNINGAR". Is this something you can fix easily? (I use Swedish as language)

Actually, I can't, but you can. :-) There are language files specific to the skin located in \skin.neon\language\[language]\strings.xml

If you want to take the time and grab the one in the English folder and translate it to Swedish it would be most welcome. The same goes for any other languages that are not already there.

Once it is translated, you can post it and I can include it with future updates.

In this particular case, I added the TV Show translation and have uploaded to git, but it really would be helpful if you could assist in the translation of the rest....

Thanks!

- Jimmeh - 2010-12-22

stoli Wrote:I'll try and check with ppic on this one... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83632

Looks like they are still chasing that bug, based on mcborzu's link. Back to git for me, if only I could figure out a way of automating a daily sync. Suppose I could make a batch file Undecided

- Swifty - 2010-12-22

@stoli
I decided to try this skin today, on the whole it's very nice but I noticed a few niggles while tinkering around that I thought I'd mention - don't take these as criticism, just observations Smile
  • Skin felt a little sluggish compared to say, confluence sometimes a black screen of 2-4 seconds while moving between screens on an Acer Revo Atom 330.
  • Recently Added on home screen; item names get 'cut off' (looks like they are too long to fit in the allocated space)
  • Recently Added on home screen; up and down on the remote both seem to open the sub menu of the highlighted item (TV shows for example) - it would make sense if say down opened the sub menu and up jumped straight into the 'recently added' box
  • Slim list is my favourite view, but seems a little 'too' slim - might be nice to have a middle option between slim list and full.
  • The skin seems to freeze at the home screen randomly while sliding between items - I have only seen it with this skin, none of the others I tried Huh

Anyway nice work so far, will definately be keeping an eye on this Smile

- stoli - 2010-12-22

Swifty Wrote:@stoli
I decided to try this skin today, on the whole it's very nice but I noticed a few niggles while tinkering around that I thought I'd mention - don't take these as criticism, just observations Smile
  • Skin felt a little sluggish compared to say, confluence sometimes a black screen of 2-4 seconds while moving between screens on an Acer Revo Atom 330.
  • Recently Added on home screen; item names get 'cut off' (looks like they are too long to fit in the allocated space)
  • Recently Added on home screen; up and down on the remote both seem to open the sub menu of the highlighted item (TV shows for example) - it would make sense if say down opened the sub menu and up jumped straight into the 'recently added' box
  • Slim list is my favourite view, but seems a little 'too' slim - might be nice to have a middle option between slim list and full.
  • The skin seems to freeze at the home screen randomly while sliding between items - I have only seen it with this skin, none of the others I tried Huh

Anyway nice work so far, will definately be keeping an eye on this Smile

1. Have you tried Night and do you see the same sluggishness? Do you notice it at specific points, i.e., enter tv shows vs. entering movies?
2. Yep - it's on my list, just not high at the moment. :-)
3. That should be relatively easy.
4. That's probably because I keep forgetting to swap out the 1920x1080 images for 1280x720 images. If you change the default backgrounds to something else do you notice the lag?

Thanks for the comments - positive and 'negative' ones are always welcome.

- stoli - 2010-12-22

Jimmeh Wrote:Looks like they are still chasing that bug, based on mcborzu's link. Back to git for me, if only I could figure out a way of automating a daily sync. Suppose I could make a batch file Undecided

It is unfortunate - A batch file and windows scheduler would easily do the trick, but there is still the overall issue of not being able to update files that are in use. While this isn't often (fonts are the main issue), it will cause a problem.

- Swifty - 2010-12-23

stoli Wrote:1. Have you tried Night and do you see the same sluggishness? Do you notice it at specific points, i.e., enter tv shows vs. entering movies?
2. Yep - it's on my list, just not high at the moment. :-)
3. That should be relatively easy.
4. That's probably because I keep forgetting to swap out the 1920x1080 images for 1280x720 images. If you change the default backgrounds to something else do you notice the lag?

Thanks for the comments - positive and 'negative' ones are always welcome.

Thanks for your response stoli, I will checkout the original skin and see if it still feels slow.
I mainly see it when the recently added items are enabled at the home screen so maybe it's something to do with that.. I'll do some investigating.

- carmenm - 2010-12-23

Hi,

First great job i really like this skin.
Now i am thinking about using this skin for the XBMC my company uses during demos. There are two things stopping me right now and i wondered if you could add them as features.
1) we need to disable all scrollbars because it confuses the user and he doesnt now what s happening
2) new colors. Actually we need orange. I can do it but it means that any update will break it, except if you support colors?
3) i see in the last update that you changed the home font. I dont really like it, anyway to change it back?

Thanks a lot for your work.

- SALAMINOMACHOS - 2010-12-23

Good evening to everybody fron the sunny and warm Greece today.
Talking yesterday with Stoli i discovered this very good looking skin.
I have some questions for you.
1. Why the Home Meny appears with so small letters if i compare it with Night?
2. What is the use of Cinema or Theater experience ? How can i activate it?
3. Is there any possibility to have Blue Ray Cases instead of these simple ones.
4. In the Videos-Movies mode\Enter\Play\Cast\Refresh\Get thumb\Get Fanart\Theater when i use the Theater button it does not show any but it goes back to the previous screen.
What i am missing to activate it?
Thanks all for your attention

- stoli - 2010-12-23

carmenm Wrote:Hi,

First great job i really like this skin.
Now i am thinking about using this skin for the XBMC my company uses during demos. There are two things stopping me right now and i wondered if you could add them as features.
1) we need to disable all scrollbars because it confuses the user and he doesnt now what s happening
2) new colors. Actually we need orange. I can do it but it means that any update will break it, except if you support colors?
3) i see in the last update that you changed the home font. I dont really like it, anyway to change it back?

1 - This may be possible with some code tweaks to tie it to kiosk mode.
2 - Colors are pretty easy except the the textures/images. If I had some better photoshop skills this would probably be a lot easier. For a real basic change, just modify the defaults.xml file in the \colors folder. Change the value of mainblue to ffff8000
3 - Merry Xmas - Didn't meant to push that one up. It's back to normal.

Speaking of fonts... There are now two selections in Settings > Appearance > Skin > Font. Neon - Default and Neon - All Languages. I've added a font that should support most languages, tried and true Arial. While not my first choice, it will have to suffice for now.

- stoli - 2010-12-23

SALAMINOMACHOS Wrote:Good evening to everybody fron the sunny and warm Greece today.
Talking yesterday with Stoli i discovered this very good looking skin.
I have some questions for you.
1. Why the Home Meny appears with so small letters if i compare it with Night?
2. What is the use of Cinema or Theater experience ? How can i activate it?
3. Is there any possibility to have Blue Ray Cases instead of these simple ones.
4. In the Videos-Movies mode\Enter\Play\Cast\Refresh\Get thumb\Get Fanart\Theater when i use the Theater button it does not show any but it goes back to the previous screen.
What i am missing to activate it?
Thanks all for your attention

1. Because I didn't like the big letters in Night. Big Grin
2. You have to install the Cinema Experience Add-on
3. If someone wants to mod it to have them yes, but it's not on my list at the moment.
4. See #2

As mentioned in the previous post, I've added the arial font so you should be able to see greek characters now. If you would like to translate the remaining strings for Greek it would be greatly appreciated. Notes about translating are a few posts up in this thread.

Thanks,

- SALAMINOMACHOS - 2010-12-23

Stoli Hi.
1. Settings\Appearnce\International\Fonts there is only Antipasto and not Arial
2. I can not find this Cinema experience Adds on? Pls show me the way step by step cause i am not expert.
Thanks...............

- stoli - 2010-12-23

SALAMINOMACHOS Wrote:Stoli Hi.
1. Settings\Appearnce\International\Fonts there is only Antipasto and not Arial
2. I can not find this Cinema experience Adds on? Pls show me the way step by step cause i am not expert.
Thanks...............

1. I JUST made the update a few hours ago. You would have to download a new version.
2. Check the Cinema Experience thread for how to install it. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87563

Thanks,

- stoli - 2010-12-23

carmenm Wrote:Hi,

Something like this:

Working on dynamic colors now...