Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Neon - a new skin for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Neon (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+----- Thread: [WIP] Neon - a new skin for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=83337)

- Kalliban - 2010-12-27

Sounds great, and good job on the images, they look amazing! Big Grin
I have one small thing: on the info-screen for a movie, there is a MPAA-classification. In Swedish that is "MPAA-klassificering". However, the space is both to short and to long Tongue It is to short so it says "MPAA-klassifi...", but it is to long as the text goes outside the box. MP are outside (can't give you a screen shot right now, can up one tomorrow if you need one). The left margin should be increased so the text ends up inside the box and maybe just show "MPAA-klass...". I hope you get it, otherwise I can give you a screen shot in the morning!

- stoli - 2010-12-27

Kalliban Wrote:Sounds great, and good job on the images, they look amazing! Big Grin
I have one small thing: on the info-screen for a movie, there is a MPAA-classification. In Swedish that is "MPAA-klassificering". However, the space is both to short and to long Tongue It is to short so it says "MPAA-klassifi...", but it is to long as the text goes outside the box. MP are outside (can't give you a screen shot right now, can up one tomorrow if you need one). The left margin should be increased so the text ends up inside the box and maybe just show "MPAA-klass...". I hope you get it, otherwise I can give you a screen shot in the morning!

I thought that might be an issue... What about just changing it to MPAA for all languages and leaving off the rest? In looking over the language files there are only a few that do not use MPAA; Czech, Korean, German and Norwegian. I would think MPAA and the actually rating would be pretty self evident...

- stoli - 2010-12-27

Another update today - Global Weather is now a separate option from the Global Clock.

- VaLeN - 2010-12-28

stoli Wrote:I'll likely go that route (weather optional) - I had planned to do that some time ago and never got to it. This should be a slow week at work, so it shouldn't be a problem to get done today or tomorrow.

Also - Anyone using CD-Art? I've never cared for it and am thinking of stripping it out...

Two of the new images (and colors):

Noooo.... me loves cd-art Sad(

Props for ur work man, skin keeps improving beyond belief!

- Kalliban - 2010-12-28

stoli Wrote:I thought that might be an issue... What about just changing it to MPAA for all languages and leaving off the rest? In looking over the language files there are only a few that do not use MPAA; Czech, Korean, German and Norwegian. I would think MPAA and the actually rating would be pretty self evident...

Absolutely, change it to MPAA! If it had been in the strings.xml I would have done it myself, but it appears that it is translated somewhere else. Fast work with the global weather option! Now I can use the info-screen's delay Big Grin

One thing I did notice: The weather on the first page is still connected to the clock so there's no way of showing the clock without the weather. The global weather option only changes if the weather should show everywhere else too. There should be a option to disable weather on the home screen as well.
Regarding the info-screen, is it possible to show the progress bar at the bottom of the screen as well? Right now I can only see the clock and the end-time for the movie. The progress bar is in the cropped area of most movies anyway and wouldn't clutter the screen (in my opinion)? Or if you want to keep it as clean as it is now, you could add a "time left". Right now I am calculating the time left in my head from the clock and the end time Rolleyes

- Helter_Skelter - 2010-12-28

I love your skin! Great work!

How about adding extra thumbs when you look at the movie information screen?

- stoli - 2010-12-28

@Kalliban - there is a progress bar across the very bottom with elapsed time on the left and total time on the right as well as movie cover, title, director, etc that display after 3 seconds. Are you not seeing this?

Wether on home screen - an oversight that I'll fix today.

@Helter_Skelter - maybe when I rework the info screen. I'm trying not to add too many options to prevent bloat and performance issues.

- Kalliban - 2010-12-28

stoli Wrote:@Kalliban - there is a progress bar across the very bottom with elapsed time on the left and total time on the right as well as movie cover, title, director, etc that display after 3 seconds. Are you not seeing this?

Yes, but I was thinking about the first 3 seconds. As you stated before you use it to just check real quick without all the stuff cluttering the screen. What I mean is that maybe you could allow the progress bar or "time remaining" to be shown there as well as the clock and the "end time"? Smile

I agree that the cover, title etc do not have to be shown during the first seconds but what I usually want when pressing "i" is to see how much is left of the movie Smile

- stoli - 2010-12-28

Kalliban Wrote:I agree that the cover, title etc do not have to be shown during the first seconds but what I usually want when pressing "i" is to see how much is left of the movie Smile

That's why it says "Finish Time" in the top left. :-) I'll work something out.

- Kalliban - 2010-12-28

stoli Wrote:That's why it says "Finish Time" in the top left. :-) I'll work something out.

Haha I know, and it is a really nice feature! Maybe it's just me but I would also like to have a "Runtime" (like "Runtime: 1:02:30/1:32:20") or a "Time left" or something, maybe in the top center of the screen. Call me lazy but calculating time left from current time and end time takes some thinking Rofl

Don't put to much effort into it, if you come up with a solution that still fits your idea for the look and feel of the skin, then by all means do it, but I think you have better things to do than to satisfy every users wishes Tongue

EDIT: Just noticed that the Buffering-text is in the top center of the screen.. so no available place there, I guess I'll just use the "End time", the more I think about it, the more I like it Smile

Instead you could think about another request I have Big Grin In the Slim List view, is it possible to view movie rating somehow? Maybe beside the media flags? The best looking solution would be if the rating could look just like the media flags, with the gradient behind it.

- The_Dogg - 2010-12-28

When I want to check the remaining time of a video, I use a XBMC function (showTime) that I mapped on a button on my remote, it only load the progress bar and the finish time.

but thats just me Smile

great skin, keep up the good work.

One thing that would be great is that you could close all dialogs witht he back button, I dont have the escape button mapped on my remote and I know in some skins (ie Alaska) you can close all dialogs with the back button. For example I couldn't exit the video calibration with back.

- stoli - 2010-12-28

Kalliban Wrote:EDIT: Just noticed that the Buffering-text is in the top center of the screen.. so no available place there, I guess I'll just use the "End time", the more I think about it, the more I like it Smile
The buffering text actually comes from the pause screen, so that it not an issue. Just haven't gotten motivated today to look at the code and haven't come up with what I feel is a good solution. I think that's cause I could care less how many minutes have transpired and what the total minutes are. I just care what time it is now, and what time will it be done. From there the math works itself out. Shocked
Kalliban Wrote:Instead you could think about another request I have Big Grin In the Slim List view, is it possible to view movie rating somehow? Maybe beside the media flags? The best looking solution would be if the rating could look just like the media flags, with the gradient behind it.
Yeah - there's space between the flags and the list that this could work into...

- stoli - 2010-12-28

The_Dogg Wrote:One thing that would be great is that you could close all dialogs witht he back button, I dont have the escape button mapped on my remote and I know in some skins (ie Alaska) you can close all dialogs with the back button. For example I couldn't exit the video calibration with back.

I'll check out Alaska and see how Hitcher is doing that - no reason why it can't be implemented.

Thanks,

- Kalliban - 2010-12-28

Just wanted to post a quick thank you for all your hard work Stoli, Neon is the king of skins and it is improving every day! Big Grin

- tormi - 2010-12-28

Kalliban Wrote:I had the same issue. It appears that XBMC has trouble updating the skin from the repository, resulting in the skin reverting to confluence. It removes the skin but fails to install the new version. I went back to using the git version and manually updating the skin.

By info, do you mean the plot? The plot appears a few seconds after you have stopped over a movie. The idea here being that the view is cleaner this way and scrolling through multiple movies is better. If I want to read the plot I just stop over the movie and the plot appears. This is as it should be, and in my opinion a great feature! (Correct me if I'm wrong here Stoli)

You can translate the file yourself, just go to %APPDATA%\XBMC\Addons\skin.neon(or skin.neon.svn depending on where you installed it from)\language
Here you can copy the English folder and name it Norwegian. Then you just translate all the strings in the strings.xml file inside the folder! Remember to send Stoli the file when you are done so it may be included in future updates! Big Grin

Thanks for answers, they are all correct. Still I'd like the plot to show right away though. At least I feel it should show up quicker than it does.

Other than that I am working on the Norwegian translation. I'd like to take a look at the Swedish though, that one should be somewhat similar to the Norwegian ones. Just for reference check.