Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Carmichael - a new skin for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Carmichael (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=187)
+----- Thread: [WIP] The Carmichael - a new skin for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=84970)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

- mcborzu - 2010-12-23

htpc guy Wrote:I love the cover flow view. I have just one feature request and I don't know how hard it would be to implement. It would be great if there was an overlay for dvd/bluray covers. I like that feature in T! because it gives a visual representation of the physical media and it serves the purpose of telling the user if the file is dvd or bluray.

This is a simple request. Feel free to tell me to shutty if you don't want to do it.Big Grin

BTW, I love this skin. It has by far the best view for games. Keep up the good work.

Some people are fanart guys, I'm a cover art guy. I love cover art and think that'll distract too much for my tastes...

- Japaja - 2010-12-24

Why no coverflow for TV series and do u plan to include actor images? Seems like they would fit nice in place of poster. BTW home menu.. maybe if u made it to auto center and then the background tile like curtains or some lights coming from top. Smile

- DPickles - 2010-12-24

Japaja Wrote:Why no coverflow for TV series and do u plan to include actor images? Seems like they would fit nice in place of poster. BTW home menu.. maybe if u made it to auto center and then the background tile like curtains or some lights coming from top. Smile

While I don't exactly like the idea of the lights, curtains etc. I really like the idea of an "auto center" option. I find that the home screen bothers me a little with the way the menu pictures move and is the only thing preventing me from using this as my main skin. But to each his own I guess.

- buzz_kill - 2010-12-24

here here, auto center would be splendid.

- mcborzu - 2010-12-24

buzz_kill Wrote:here here, auto center would be splendid.

Doesn't work, only other way is to count how many items in a list and use <slide> animations. I think you can count items in a List just need to research...

- Japaja - 2010-12-24

mcborzu Wrote:Doesn't work, only other way is to count how many items in a list and use <slide> animations. I think you can count items in a List just need to research...

@mcborzu
If u say it can't be done it can't be done. Big Grin, but like I asked what about cover flow for TV series and actor images, are they on to-do list? Thanks.

- mcborzu - 2010-12-24

Japaja Wrote:@mcborzu
If u say it can't be done it can't be done. Big Grin, but like I asked what about cover flow for TV series and actor images, are they on to-do list? Thanks.

Actor images either need a re-tool of the cast "id" in XBMC, or I need to create another layout. Haven't decided, odds are I gotta go with option 2...

Oh and Coverflow is on TV level, might not have pushed to GIT yet, though...

- ralob - 2010-12-27

Love the new views. This skin continues to be one of my favorites.

I do have a request. Is there any possibility of adding Time Remaining in the video OSD? I only ask because I hate doing the math between current time elapsed and total video time.

- mcborzu - 2010-12-27

ralob Wrote:Love the new views. This skin continues to be one of my favorites.

I do have a request. Is there any possibility of adding Time Remaining in the video OSD? I only ask because I hate doing the math between current time elapsed and total video time.

There is current time and end time on the pause and info screen. To me the videoOSD is just for the buttons, plus I have no room to play with either...

And I also have no room to add Time Remaining to the pause/info screens...

- nickkarstedt - 2010-12-27

I feel really guilty because I've been using this skin for a while and I haven't said how AWESOME it is. I'm glad you pulled my back from Shade to another one of your skins Smile

I do agree that the home page needs to be reworked somehow for those that hide enough menu items.

-or-

Let users add CUSTOM top-level items (Favorites/addons/etc)

Also, needs more views. A few ideas:

Movies: 3d coverflow, Coverart list (A list that extends all the way to the sides w/ coverart and larger text. The covers should be on the right, opposite of the fanart for better balance), Info list (A kind of one movie per page thing)

TV Shows: Logo list (just one row of logos... but we all know you were going to do this anyways Tongue ), Logo 'big grid', 3d coverflow

TV Episodes: Experiment with what panel to put what information on. Ex: Top left: episode screeencap, top right: episode plot, bottom: list. I'll whip out some concepts in photoshop tonight because the TV Episode browser is bugging me the most because I really like seeing the plots, but 4rows is too small to read from a distance on my little 32" Tongue

Music: haven't used enough yet, I'll edit this when I do.

But yeah, great job on this skin. I love your work. With the exception of the too few top-level menu items thing, this is by far the nicest home screen I've used on XBMC.

Some minor modifications for the PNG's youre using? - DJXFMA - 2010-12-30

I was trying a lot of skins lately but keep coming back to this one. Only a few things I don't like myself. Maybe it is just me. But I just wanna put it here and you can do what ever you wanna do with it Smile

skin.carmichael.svn\media\episode4grid\focus_selection.png
The border is to light in comparision to the green and other colors on that specific 4 rows screen. So I modified it so it has a deeper black color

skin.carmichael.svn\media\home
At the Home screen the submenu doesn't have equal row lines I changed this as wel.
Minor modification has been done to the row lines to make it look equal Smile
To this:

- ppic - 2010-12-30

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Comparison_of_skin_features

i've added the skin there, please correct if i'm wrong.

- mcborzu - 2010-12-30

DJXFMA Wrote:I was trying a lot of skins lately but keep coming back to this one. Only a few things I don't like myself. Maybe it is just me. But I just wanna put it here and you can do what ever you wanna do with it Smile

skin.carmichael.svn\media\episode4grid\focus_selection.png
The border is to light in comparision to the green and other colors on that specific 4 rows screen. So I modified it so it has a deeper black color

skin.carmichael.svn\media\home
At the Home screen the submenu doesn't have equal row lines I changed this as wel.
Minor modification has been done to the row lines to make it look equal Smile
To this:

Thx, Yea that 3rd panel bugged me that it had a little 3d effect, yet I was too lazy to touch it up...very good work on the submenu panel you matched it 100% without using my source psd, very good.

Also slight change on that episode focus back but makes a nice improvement, thx again...

- DJXFMA - 2010-12-31

mcborzu Wrote:Thx, Yea that 3rd panel bugged me that it had a little 3d effect, yet I was too lazy to touch it up...very good work on the submenu panel you matched it 100% without using my source psd, very good.

Also slight change on that episode focus back but makes a nice improvement, thx again...

No problem at all!, yeah just some minor changes I know with the source files the resolution would have been a little bit better. Using Photoshop myself, just wanted to make it look even better Smile..

Myself I only use movies and tv shows I don't do anything with music and programs. So these are the only screens wich I wanted to be perfect looking.

I see some things wich I would change myself. I know a lot of scripting languages but skins are something else lol.. But I am trying to learn something about it so I can make some screens look a little bit better. Nothing what you can't do Wink

4 row grid (skin.carmichael.svn\media\episode4grid\focus_selection.png)
For example the 4 row grid in tv shows the focusselection.png is a little bit to heigh in size. I would like to see the border also on the bottom rows and not just on the top if you know what I mean. Going to try make that work and post the modified files later at this thread
*UPDATE
Have bin busy trying different things but the thing what supposed to work as best is the overlay what I have created below.

submenu (skin.carmichael.svn\media\home)
Another thing wich I don't like myself is the submenu on Custom home actions. You can't add things to the submenu from a custom home action. So why show the rows? I have an idea. Why not use the submenus_blank.png file for all custom home action menu's. Its possible right? To show the underneath picture instead of the normal one with rows in them?
Image Image

- mcborzu - 2010-12-31

DJXFMA Wrote:submenu (skin.carmichael.svn\media\home)
Another thing wich I don't like myself is the submenu on Custom home actions. You can't add things to the submenu from a custom home action. So why show the rows? I have an idea. Why not use the submenus_blank.png file for all custom home action menu's. Its possible right? To show the underneath picture instead of the normal one with rows in them?

Actually I just made a change that the submenu panel is hidden for "Pictures" and "Custom Home Items"...GIT is up to date with the change...