Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Carmichael - a new skin for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Carmichael (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=187)
+----- Thread: [WIP] The Carmichael - a new skin for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=84970)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

- ppic - 2011-01-24

so it's ok with this ?

- mcborzu - 2011-01-24

ppic Wrote:so it's ok with this ?

That was it. Hoping to get this fixed before the Repo, as once in no more updates (for the time being)...

- sunfizz98 - 2011-02-02

@mcborzu
Is it possible for you to add an easy way for viewers to know what they watched in episode view?

- mcborzu - 2011-02-02

sunfizz98 Wrote:@mcborzu
Is it possible for you to add an easy way for viewers to know what they watched in episode view?

done...

- Smobbo - 2011-02-04

I'm really liking this Skin!

The overall feel is very nice!

I have just one 'problem', it is the same i had with the Night skin, when using the subtitle addon (which i use everytimeWink ) the font of the results is really small!

Is there some file i can edit or is there a setting somewhere to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Keep up the great work Big Grin !

- ppic - 2011-02-04

subtitle font isn't handled by skin and can be changed in xbmc settings.

- Smobbo - 2011-02-04

ppic Wrote:subtitle font isn't handled by skin and can be changed in xbmc settings.

I'm sorry for the confusion, i don't mean the subtitle font.
I mean the window with the results given in the addon (where you pick which subtitle matches your version of a movie/show).

- mcborzu - 2011-02-04

Smobbo Wrote:I'm sorry for the confusion, i don't mean the subtitle font.
I mean the window with the results given in the addon (where you pick which subtitle matches your version of a movie/show).

yes that one can be controlled via skin or you can just let the addon do the work...i'll take a peek

- natew - 2011-02-05

You've got some really nice ideas here but I think there are a couple easy improvements that could be made.

Most of your text--especially in this view--could use a good bit more padding. I think another 14px all around would help a lot.. but anything more than there is would be better.

Your titles might also be a bit too intense for the screen. Just a slight decrease in saturation would probably help a lot.

Absolutely Awesome!!!!!! - JeromyNix - 2011-02-06

I downloaded this skin about 5 hours ago...

I just had to come and express the fact that I am compelety blown away by this skin. Its the most intuitive and functional skin that exists for XBMC in my own humble opinon, and makes my HTPC feel more like a Settop Box instead of a PC that runs media.

There's only two things that could possibly make this skin beter in my opinion (and i am not at all suggesting these be implemented, just stating my opinions.), and that would be if video is playing it is ALWAYS visible (In the panel in the upper left corner - or in the case of the home menu in the center panel) and, well - while i am impressed with the home menu's extreme functionality, the sliding panels aren't very attractive to me, i've been thinking about modifying the main menu to function more like the rest of the skin... maybe navigatig via icons in a right-side oriented pane or something of that nature... Its just that the rest of the skin is so well oriented that the main menu seems like a foreign element to the rest of the skin to me...

But to the author of this skin (in my enthusiasim for the skin i haven't yet looked at either the author's name or any of this thread before posting this) You are now my hero!!!

- mcborzu - 2011-02-06

JeromyNix Wrote:I downloaded this skin about 5 hours ago...

I just had to come and express the fact that I am compelety blown away by this skin. Its the most intuitive and functional skin that exists for XBMC in my own humble opinon, and makes my HTPC feel more like a Settop Box instead of a PC that runs media.

There's only two things that could possibly make this skin beter in my opinion (and i am not at all suggesting these be implemented, just stating my opinions.), and that would be if video is playing it is ALWAYS visible (In the panel in the upper left corner - or in the case of the home menu in the center panel) and, well - while i am impressed with the home menu's extreme functionality, the sliding panels aren't very attractive to me, i've been thinking about modifying the main menu to function more like the rest of the skin... maybe navigatig via icons in a right-side oriented pane or something of that nature... Its just that the rest of the skin is so well oriented that the main menu seems like a foreign element to the rest of the skin to me...

But to the author of this skin (in my enthusiasim for the skin i haven't yet looked at either the author's name or any of this thread before posting this) You are now my hero!!!

1. That was my so called mission statement - Unifed feel and look, sort of what you would expect from a default setup type skin...

2. Vertical home panels, well that my favorite part. I might do something along those lines, but really this skin isn't a jack of all trades type skin. If something I feel doesnt fit, it doesnt go in...

3. Yea I need a 'Now Playing' for vids on Home but havent thought of what I'd perfer at the moment...

- JeromyNix - 2011-02-07

Well after raving about this skin i implemented it in all the other HTPC's in my home (Son's room, living room, and the office), and the overall response has been the same, my son finds it a much better way (in look and feel) to deal with media... my wife (previously dumbfounded by XBMC, for the simple reason of not being that interested in learning how to operate it) finds it much easier to operate, and has taking a liking to XBMC at last, and has even requested i schedule the PVR to record her soaps instead of using the settopbox provided by my cable company (which she also found complicated and mentally taxing, but less so than XBMC up until now). Yet both my son and wife both (without any prompting) also found the Home menu extremely functional and useable, but feeling a bit off in relation to the rest of the skin.

thanks mcborzu this skin has actually gotten my wife interested in learning how to use XBMC... something i could never manage to do on my own... We just finished customizing the skin (for her profile) in the living room, to reflect her likes... of course i did all the work and she was giving me prompts on what she wanted, but its nice to be able to have my wife take an interest and work with me on something I enjoy... quite usually anything we do together is leaning more towards something from her (sometimes painfully boring to me) repertoire of enjoyable activities.

Thanks - chase888 - 2011-02-07

Great Work on this skin.

just switched from using (cirrus & confluence) to Carmichael...

found the GUI pleasing on the eye, easy to use, and fast, and great features...

well done. Big Grin and thanks.

- benjee - 2011-02-08

Hi, i've dowloaded the carmichael skin on my xbmc iPad version...
I don't Knowles if it's optimised for it, but navigation is very hard...
Menus are not or hardly touchable, so i'm stucked with this skin...

Is the carmichael skin for the iPad ?
How to navigate ?

Is there a way to reset xbmc setup and get back with the confluence skin ?

Thx

- yolan - 2011-02-08

benjee Wrote:Hi, i've dowloaded the carmichael skin on my xbmc iPad version...
I don't Knowles if it's optimised for it, but navigation is very hard...
Menus are not or hardly touchable, so i'm stucked with this skin...

Is the carmichael skin for the iPad ?
How to navigate ?

Is there a way to reset xbmc setup and get back with the confluence skin ?

Thx

Most XBMC skins are not designed with touch screens in mind. XBMC itself isn't particularly touch friendly yet. There are tickets in trac for some drag options and other touch related functions that are not currently supported. I can only think of two skins that were built around touchscreens that work reasonably well. Touch! and Joggler. I prefer Joggler (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84175).