Kodi Community Forum
SAMBA-Server built-into XBMC (share SMB/CIFS from Xbox) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: SAMBA-Server built-into XBMC (share SMB/CIFS from Xbox) (/showthread.php?tid=85)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- zasxae - 2005-05-15

i know xp can share via smb to the xbox, but is it possible to have xbmc share similarly? i would like to map the xbox drives to letters in windows.

- evilnick - 2005-05-15

the only way i know of is to use a program called webdrive, which shows your xbox as a networked drive in windows. it's not perfect but far more userfriendly than using an ftp client.

- zasxae - 2005-05-16

thanks for your reply.

not the most free of solutions to this problem though. :verysad: 20 day trial for a $50+ program.

it still does ftp only though. let's say i start a media file from the webdrive folder, it copies the whole file over before starting. nowhere near as graceful as smb.

think xbmc would ever support making smb shares?

- Flashyphotos - 2005-05-18

hi

i have 3 x-boxes running on my home network, (wireless network),

my problem is i cannot work out how to access movies stored on one x-box from another on the system

all machines are running 250gb drives, and i have movies on 1, music on a second, and tv shows on the 3rd.

i was hoping to be able to access the drives in each machine remotely thru xmbc from all the other x-boxes on the network

is this possible at all, or are the other x-boxes not accessible like a standard network share

any information would be appreciated.

thanks

richard

- BritneysPAIRS - 2005-05-19

add patch on source forge works fine for me

- BaRTiMuS - 2005-05-27

yeah... i thought this would be a neat idea but then i thought.. wait a minute.. im gonna have to walk around my house and turn on each box just to have access to everything.. and i didnt want to leave them running all the time.. it makes more sense to put that big hard drive into your computer and keep hd's just big enough to fit the games you want on the boxs

- pickle - 2005-06-13

i have been moving all of my media to a 200 gig drive in the xbox.
now i need it to have the samba server built in.
is ftp the only option? i would love to mount the xbox drive on other 'puters, etc.
please port the samba server code!

- jmarshall - 2005-06-13

please read the thread that you've posted in. it's been outlined that a smb server is infeasible at present.

why put all your media in an xbox? it would be far better suited to keep it on a computer and just share from there.

- booger bob - 2005-08-10

how about being able to have a samba server in xbmc. i have a mythtv box that could map the xbmc files if it supported samba. or if someone has multiple xboxes

- los93sol - 2005-09-03

bump...i understand it's not regarded as a feasible idea, but i think it is possible. if the smbd were compiled as a dll it could be loaded on demand. obviously you would want it loaded all the time which would be rather memory intensive, but i have another idea. first it could be added as an option, "enable smbd usage when in gui" or something to that effect. i am thinking there could be events that would unload the smbd dll when the additional mem is needed like when playing music, movies, etc. that way you can just leave your box on and as long as it is not currently watching a video the smb daemon would be running thus allowing you to connect. for those who don't want to use it just disable it and it will never be loaded. just a thought, would be great if a dev would comment on this idea.

regards,
los93sol

- Gamester17 - 2005-09-03

personaly i think a built-in samba-server would overkill for xbmc, instead much more usefull would be a built-in xbmsp-server (and a ccxstream-client for pc).

- los93sol - 2005-09-04

just spent a bit of time reading through the thread, but i'm still a little curious if it is natively supported by windows...reason i ask is if you think about the mass amount of users they are windows users so in my opinion it would be best to use whatever protocol is natively supported and simplest to configure without the end user having to download and use additional apps. just my opinion, i am still a little under educated on xbmsp protocol but as far as i know you need a seperate client for it to connect. i will spend a little more time reading about the protocol.

regards,
los93sol

- Gamester17 - 2005-09-04

@los93sol: judging by the majority of support question in these forums (and by all the non-computer litterary people i know) i would argue that most microsoft windows-xp (etc.) end-users don't know how setup a basic network and configure a smb-share in windows (which also requires them to add a user-account and set permissions), and most xbmc end-users have had xbmc either installed by someone else or by a automated-homebrew-installation-script and they don't understand how to configure the samba-client via xboxmediacenter.xml (and the majority of those who does learn do so out of nessesity and not because they wish to learn), (plus before doing that the need to learn who to configure the network on the xbox side too if they are not on dhcp, and even if they are on dhcp they still need to figure out the ip-address of the windows computer which is harder than you might think without help for a illitterary person).

...the xbmsp protocol on the other hand supports 'auto-discovery' which means zero configuration on the network side, right now with the xbmsp-server on the pc side and the xbmsp-client in xbmc you just have to install a xbmsp-server (ex. ccxgui) on the pc and then drag-and-drop the folder or files you which to share and that is it!, ...and if a xbmsp-server was build-into xbmc that would be even simpler for the end user as the shares would already be pre-configured on the xbmc-side (by automaticly using the existing shares in xboxmediacenter.xml) so all the end-user would have to do is install the xbmsp-client application on the pc, it would automaticly discover the shares and automaticly map them to a new volume.

- los93sol - 2005-09-04

ah. i should have read up more thoroughly on it before posting my response sorry for that. that being the case i have to agree with you that it would be better for that specific group. personally i like to keep things fluent and everything else i use is samba so i would still prefer it, but i do see a major benefit to xbmsp with auto-detection especially for sharing files between xboxes. if i am undestanding correctly the server could be built for xbmc so the user could configure what to share via the xml with the obvious defaults already in place. then install the client/server app on any pc's and setup the shares on those as well so you could very easily handle all of your media sharing on one simple protocol throughout the entire network. my question then is what about security? is xbmsp an internal protocol only, or is it possible to reach those shares from the outside? sorry for the questions about it, i am getting a bit off-topic now, but i haven't been able to locate too much info pertaining to the securities of the protocol. it appears to be a ccxstream variant but i haven't found anything to verify that.

regards,
los93sol

- Gamester17 - 2005-09-04

(los93sol @ sep. 04 2005,10:58 Wrote:my question then is what about security?  is xbmsp an internal protocol only, or is it possible to reach those shares from the outside?  sorry for the questions about it, i am getting a bit off-topic now, but i haven't been able to locate too much info pertaining to the securities of the protocol.  it appears to be a ccxstream variant but i haven't found anything to verify that.
xbmsp supports username/password security (just like smb/samba), if you have a nat router/firewall it will block the xbmsp port (but you can open it for internet streaming if you like). this is now gettings way off-topic, i just wanted you all to consider xbmsp before smb/samba because smb/samba is overkill for xbmc, xbmsp is designed for streaming, smb/samba is not. for file-transfers just use ftp!

ps! @los93sol, remeber that you are what we call a "power-user" and thus you're in a minority, (it also means there's no excuse for you being lazy :p)