Kodi Community Forum
Release Forum Browser - Programs Addon - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: Release Forum Browser - Programs Addon (/showthread.php?tid=85018)

v2.1.20 - ruuk - 2013-11-02

Version 2.1.20

Changes:
- Video Skin: Added forum description box for forum list on 'Add Forum' (like on the other skins)
- Changed Forumrunner icon to reflect Forumrunner's actual icon
- Various encoding handling improvements

On my REPO.

I went through some Russian sites and found a few errors caused by encoding issues. Anyone who gets any encoding errors, please let me know so I can track them down.

v2.1.21 - ruuk - 2013-11-02

Version 2.1.21

Changes:
- Fix a bug I made causing errors on tapatalk forums

On my REPO.

v2.1.22 - ruuk - 2013-11-02

Version 2.1.22

Changes:
- Changes to make encoding handling more correct
- Some skin tweaks for Add Forum forum descriptions

On my REPO.

Hopefully my encoding handling changes didn't make new bugs Smile

I'm trying to handle encoding "The Correct Way"TM to avoid future issues. It's kind of a complicated thing which I think I finally understand. I've been going over a bunch of non-english forums trying different things to see if my changes cause any errors, and it's clean on everything I tried so far.

NON-ENGLISH FORUM BROWSER USERS: Please let me know if you have any errors. I want to make Forum Browser work well for everyone, but I can't think of everything to test or test every forum. I certainly can't tell for sure if things are displaying correctly because I can't read the languages. I just browse around thinking "Well that looks pretty Russian to me or I think that's proper Hebrew." Smile
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

RE: [RELEASE] Forum Browser - Programs Addon - hasselhof - 2013-11-03

You've been busy, I will check out your updates in the coming days, thanks pal.

RE: [RELEASE] Forum Browser - Programs Addon - hasselhof - 2013-11-03

Hi Ruuk,

This is real top notch, I didn't know there could be another level, but you've found it Nod

some observations I've made ignore if you want too. Rofl

On the 'choose database' righthand text info pane, I think it would read better if you dropped the word 'the', so it says 'search more than........'
same for the forum runner info pane.

once in 'Choose Database' If you click on the 'Tapatalk Database' then when you have finished browsing the forums on offer in the database, when coming back out to the main 'Choose Database' window again, could the focus still be on 'Tapatalk Database' ie the one I clicked. same for forum runner, as it drops focus onto 'Forum Browser Database'. icon.

If you click on 'Tapatalk Database', then click 'Search Database' then you realise that you don't want to type anything into the on screen keyboard it's hard to get rid of the on screen keyboard using a remote, without actually searching for something, clicking back on remote / backspace on keyboard would be nice to close the on screen keyboard. It's the same in the 'Forum runner Database' .

If I get a lot of pages of results, then I decide that after five or six pages into the search results I find that I want to go back to page four, I click the previous button that you have provided which works great, but could you make it go back a page at a time with the back button on the remote / backspace on the keyboard, it would be a lot quicker.

Is it possible to present the search results from the database searches in alphabetical order, I know they are not presented to me in alphabetical order on my Tapatalk phone app, but if it's possible it would be nice, also is the twenty forums per page a limitation or is that your choice, it would be good to have a long list if possible.

After you've added a forum could the focus remain on the newly added forum instead of landing at the top of the current page, as it's more fluid when working down the search results.

If you've already got a forum in your local list & you try to add it to your local list again by mistake could there be a notification saying so.

I've found a bug so to speak :-

If I add a forum from the 'Tapatalk Database' > Technology & Computing > winfuture-forum.de, on clicking winfuture-forum.de, the search list disappears, and your droped onto your local list of forums, then closing the local list of forums back to the active working on screen forum, selecting the main screen 'Forum' button stops functioning, it has no effect at all. If I shut down forum browser & restart Forum browser I still have a broken main screen 'Forums' button, & the same applies even after a reboot. So using filemanager I browsed to the addon-data folder > script.forum.browser > forums, and noticed amongst my local forums there was the entry for TTwinfuture-forum.de, which by the way was a file size of zero bytes, after deleting this file all functionality of the main screen 'Forum' button came back and is working great again see log

here are some other logs that I have that may help in some way, I was only going to delete them, but you never know what you might find

random log 1
random log 2
random log 3

thanks for all your time I will continue to check things out. Big Grin

RE: [RELEASE] Forum Browser - Programs Addon - ruuk - 2013-11-03

(2013-11-03, 21:43)hasselhof Wrote: On the 'choose database' righthand text info pane, I think it would read better if you dropped the word 'the', so it says 'search more than........'
same for the forum runner info pane.
Changed to "Search 60,000+ forums..."
(2013-11-03, 21:43)hasselhof Wrote: once in 'Choose Database' If you click on the 'Tapatalk Database' then when you have finished browsing the forums on offer in the database, when coming back out to the main 'Choose Database' window again, could the focus still be on 'Tapatalk Database' ie the one I clicked. same for forum runner, as it drops focus onto 'Forum Browser Database'. icon.
Done.
(2013-11-03, 21:43)hasselhof Wrote: If you click on 'Tapatalk Database', then click 'Search Database' then you realise that you don't want to type anything into the on screen keyboard it's hard to get rid of the on screen keyboard using a remote, without actually searching for something, clicking back on remote / backspace on keyboard would be nice to close the on screen keyboard. It's the same in the 'Forum runner Database' .
Fixed. That was actually a bug.
(2013-11-03, 21:43)hasselhof Wrote: If I get a lot of pages of results, then I decide that after five or six pages into the search results I find that I want to go back to page four, I click the previous button that you have provided which works great, but could you make it go back a page at a time with the back button on the remote / backspace on the keyboard, it would be a lot quicker.
I'll have to think on that one. Maybe I can make an option. The current behavior is more in keeping with XBMC behavior. If you have a plugin with previous/next entries, pressing back won't go to 'previous' entry.
Maybe left/right for previous/next would be better? Not that the XBMC plugin behavior is intuitive. I'm sure I've pressed back in an effort to go back a page on a plugin. Maybe I'll just do it Smile
(2013-11-03, 21:43)hasselhof Wrote: Is it possible to present the search results from the database searches in alphabetical order, I know they are not presented to me in alphabetical order on my Tapatalk phone app, but if it's possible it would be nice, also is the twenty forums per page a limitation or is that your choice, it would be good to have a long list if possible.
No on the alphabetical order. I have no way of controlling that. I could alphabetize the current page, but do you think that would perhaps confuse people into thinking the results were in alphabetical order?
As for the 20 per page, how many would you like it to be. I don't want to do anything to put strain on the Tapatalk database or unnecessarily call attention. They didn't exactly invite me to access their database Smile
(2013-11-03, 21:43)hasselhof Wrote: After you've added a forum could the focus remain on the newly added forum instead of landing at the top of the current page, as it's more fluid when working down the search results.
Done.
(2013-11-03, 21:43)hasselhof Wrote: If you've already got a forum in your local list & you try to add it to your local list again by mistake could there be a notification saying so.
I'm going to try to make the list have already added forums in the list indicate they are already added with a different color and something saying so in the description.
(2013-11-03, 21:43)hasselhof Wrote: I've found a bug so to speak :-

If I add a forum from the 'Tapatalk Database' > Technology & Computing > winfuture-forum.de, on clicking winfuture-forum.de, the search list disappears, and your droped onto your local list of forums, then closing the local list of forums back to the active working on screen forum, selecting the main screen 'Forum' button stops functioning, it has no effect at all. If I shut down forum browser & restart Forum browser I still have a broken main screen 'Forums' button, & the same applies even after a reboot. So using filemanager I browsed to the addon-data folder > script.forum.browser > forums, and noticed amongst my local forums there was the entry for TTwinfuture-forum.de, which by the way was a file size of zero bytes, after deleting this file all functionality of the main screen 'Forum' button came back and is working great again see log
This was an encoding issue. I've fixed it, plus I added some code to delete broken forum files so, if this sort of thing happens again, it won't break the addon. It also shows a dialog indicating that it is deleting the broken forum file. Hopefully there is nothing else left to cause this problem in the first place Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Forum Browser - Programs Addon - hasselhof - 2013-11-04

ruuk, thanks for the reply, and your speedy changes, agreed on the server strain, no problems at all.

Look forward to the next update.

thanks.

v2.1.23 - ruuk - 2013-11-05

Version 2.1.23

Changes:
- Fix for encoding errors when saving a newly added forum (was creating an empty file which caused errors when loading a forums list)
- Added code to delete broken forum files so they won't prevent open the forums dialog
- Fixed a bug that prevented exiting the keyboard when searching the TT/FR databases
- Returning to the 'Add Forum' dialog now returns to the previously selected item
- After adding a forum from a list of forums, it now returns to the added forum in the list
- Forums that are already added are now marked as already added when browsing/searching databases
- When browsing forum databases, the back button will now execute the top option (ie BACK or PREVIOUS)
- Added initial support for ProBoards forums
- Added 'ProBoards Database' in the 'Add Forums' menu - just search for now

On my REPO.

I've added the basics for supporting ProBoard forums. It basically uses the Tapatalk API with a few tweaks. That adds another 10,000 or so forums that FB can access. The ProBoards site says 3 million forums created, but I think that must mean Forums categories within a forum, because the numbers by the categories on the ProBoards directory page only add up to around 10,000. You can search the forums for now, categories to come.

Edit: 9,128 Forums Smile

v2.1.24 - ruuk - 2013-11-05

Version 2.1.24

Changes:
- Added category browsing of ProBoards forums
- Updated addon description
- Fixed a bug causing the ProBoards logo to show up on Tapatalk forums
- Finished ProBoards handling (treated as a separate type that uses the tapatalk interface)
- Added forum stats to Light and Dark skins
- Changed 'Getting Forum List' to 'Getting List' in activity splashes for database browsing

On my REPO.

v2.1.25 - ruuk - 2013-11-06

Version 2.1.25

Changes:
- Added browsing/searching of Yuku forums database

On my REPO.

This adds another 13,000+ Forums, which makes the total now over 90,000 forums FB can browse/search.

This one was easy after ProBoards. I've gone mad with database access Smile

BTW, sharing the Proboards and Yuku forums to the FB online database will fail, I think, until I make a little change in the FB database interface code.

v2.1.26 - ruuk - 2013-11-06

Version 2.1.26

Changes:
- ProBoards and Yuku forums will now display icons in the descriptions when browsing databases

On my REPO.

Note: The Forum Browser database interface is now fixed to handle adding the new forum types

v2.1.27 - ruuk - 2013-11-06

Version 2.1.27

Changes:
- Fixed a bug causing encoding errors when searching forum databases
- Clicking 'Next Page' for database lists now no longer drops down to 'Next Page' on the following page
- Fixed search slideout to appear on top of forum stats for Light/Dark skins
- Fix for post quoting on some tapatalk forums
- Added parsing of [USER] tags to @Username in posts

On my REPO.

RE: [RELEASE] Forum Browser - Programs Addon - hasselhof - 2013-11-06

Hi ruuk

Did some more testing with Version 2.1.26 he he

Infinite loop on trying to get out of keyboard without typing a search is now fixed ok, thanks

Back button now works for previous page ok , thanks

Nice touch with the greyed out search result & red alert in info pane if you have previously added that forum

All icons look nice relating to Proboards, yuku, Tapatalk & Forum runner

I can confirm that focus is kept on the just added forum, & focus is kept on the chosen database when backing out of search results

Forum stats is very interesting for me now it's on my fav skin 'light', but it is hard to read in the position it's in as it has landed in a faded bit of the skin & also when you click the search tab from the main interface it spills over the stats information, I think it would look so much nicer to the left of the version number. see screenshot

Tapatalk database has a typo in the form of 'brows' instead of 'browse' Tongue

Here are some findings regarding browsing the four comercial databases, your experience may be different & could be down to traffic my side of the water :-

Tapatalk - this search is a bit flaky in so much as if you click Tapatalk database > Technology & computers > then go down to the bottom of the first page search result & click 'next page' Forum Browser drop you back to your local list of forums instead of the next page of search result.

Forum runner - this is a bit hit & miss on the searching also for example if you click on 'Forum runner database' > Art, you get thrown back to the local list of forums

Pro-runner - Pro-runner is a strong search database, but there is a slight problem, when you click on next page at the bottom of the first page of search results, it does take you to the next page of search results, but you land at the bottom of the list with focus on the 'next page' button. This also apply's to the Yuku database search results.

Wow there are a massive amount of forums to choose from, it would be nice to have a global search, but I think this is way to much to ask, if at all possible.

The colour of the forum would be nice to be carried over to the threads page & to the posts page, maybe some time in the future when you have finished with the database side of things.

One thing I use a lot on my phone app is the 'Latest posts', this would be awesome if this was added into Forum Browser, I know its on your todo list.

Thanks for keeping interested in Forum Browser, It's a great bit of kit, my most XBMC used app Nod

You must have released a new version while I was typing. Is there no stopping you. Laugh

RE: [RELEASE] Forum Browser - Programs Addon - ruuk - 2013-11-07

(2013-11-06, 23:42)hasselhof Wrote: Forum stats is very interesting for me now it's on my fav skin 'light', but it is hard to read in the position it's in as it has landed in a faded bit of the skin & also when you click the search tab from the main interface it spills over the stats information, I think it would look so much nicer to the left of the version number. see screenshot
I'll try it out there. I thought of putting it there, but I didn't want to break the 'flow' of that area. I was actually trying to place it in a non-intrusive manner. Apparently it was to non-intrusive Smile
As you may know by now, the search under the stats was fixed in the version I posted while you were typing Smile
(2013-11-06, 23:42)hasselhof Wrote: Tapatalk database has a typo in the form of 'brows' instead of 'browse' Tongue
Fixed
(2013-11-06, 23:42)hasselhof Wrote: Here are some findings regarding browsing the four comercial databases, your experience may be different & could be down to traffic my side of the water :-

Tapatalk - this search is a bit flaky in so much as if you click Tapatalk database > Technology & computers > then go down to the bottom of the first page search result & click 'next page' Forum Browser drop you back to your local list of forums instead of the next page of search result.

Forum runner - this is a bit hit & miss on the searching also for example if you click on 'Forum runner database' > Art, you get thrown back to the local list of forums

Pro-runner - Pro-runner is a strong search database, but there is a slight problem, when you click on next page at the bottom of the first page of search results, it does take you to the next page of search results, but you land at the bottom of the list with focus on the 'next page' button. This also apply's to the Yuku database search results.
Could you confirm this with the new version. I can't duplicate any of these. If you still have this problem I think I'll need a log.
(2013-11-06, 23:42)hasselhof Wrote: Wow there are a massive amount of forums to choose from, it would be nice to have a global search, but I think this is way to much to ask, if at all possible.
I've been thinking on this as well. I'll probably try to do it, I've just been thinking on how to do it properly.
(2013-11-06, 23:42)hasselhof Wrote: The colour of the forum would be nice to be carried over to the threads page & to the posts page, maybe some time in the future when you have finished with the database side of things.
Probably Smile
(2013-11-06, 23:42)hasselhof Wrote: One thing I use a lot on my phone app is the 'Latest posts', this would be awesome if this was added into Forum Browser, I know its on your todo list.
When you say latest posts. Is it actually a list of topics with recent unread posts? The Tapatalk API doesn't have a 'Latest Posts' function, but it does have a couple of functions which are as I just described.
As far as the actual app goes, my version of Tapatalk may be different than yours, but it doesn't have a 'Latest Posts' option. It has 'Unread' (API:get_unread_topic) and 'Timeline' (API:get_latest_topic) which are like I described but the first I think is latest posts in a topic unread by the user, and the second is just the newest topics started.

RE: [RELEASE] Forum Browser - Programs Addon - hasselhof - 2013-11-08

Hi ruuk,

I have now got V2.1.27 installed.

Search pane is now solid over the current position of the stats.

All database browsing is working great today with new version, thanks

Regarding latest posts, my Tapatalk phone app is the latest version for my old phone Blush
It has a button called 'latest', which you are correct, it points to a list of topics with recent unread posts.

The Tapatalk databse description pane still has the typo 'Brows' see pic

Thanks for your time.