Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Welo - a new skin for XBMC in the making - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [WIP] Welo - a new skin for XBMC in the making (/showthread.php?tid=85142)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

- liquidskin76 - 2011-01-03

Hey everyone,

Here's a few screen shots of the settings sections...

Can i get everyones thoughts on the icons i've used. I've also used them on the home section for videos, pictures, weather, etc as well...

There wasn't any icons (other than for videos) in the mockups. I'm not 100% sure they suit the skin... would love to hear everyones thoughts on them.

Also, i've been thinking about the poster view and small list. On the mockups they look fine, however on a large lcd they are a bit small. So i've tried out a hybrid list based on the small and big lists (so in the end there will be only one list), and a larger poster design...

new poster view

old poster view

What does everyone think? I'm trying to find the right font size, plus the right usability size.

Regarding the release of the skin, i'm not sure when that will be. It's tricky one... family life and work keeps me busy, so i usually only get a few hours in the evening and the weekend. So i try to code then. I also do a bit on the side when at work!

Regarding how i've been handling the coding, i think it's only fair to let you all know that i've started fresh, taking hitchers code, adding it to my own, and structuring in a way i understand. I know i'm effectively redoing Hitchers work, however it's helping me to do a better job so i'm sure you will all understand!

Cheers

- espengaasemyr - 2011-01-03

liquidskin76 Wrote:Hey everyone,

Here's a few screen shots of the settings sections...

Can i get everyones thoughts on the icons i've used. I've also used them on the home section for videos, pictures, weather, etc as well...

There wasn't any icons (other than for videos) in the mockups. I'm not 100% sure they suit the skin... would love to hear everyones thoughts on them.

Also, i've been thinking about the poster view and small list. On the mockups they look fine, however on a large lcd they are a bit small. So i've tried out a hybrid list based on the small and big lists (so in the end there will be only one list), and a larger poster design...

What does everyone think? I'm trying to find the right font size, plus the right usability size.

Regarding the release of the skin, i'm not sure when that will be. It's tricky one... family life and work keeps me busy, so i usually only get a few hours in the evening and the weekend. So i try to code then. I also do a bit on the side when at work!

Regarding how i've been handling the coding, i think it's only fair to let you all know that i've started fresh, taking hitchers code, adding it to my own, and structuring in a way i understand. I know i'm effectively redoing Hitchers work, however it's helping me do a better job so i'm sure you will all understand!

Cheers

Great Work so far guys!!!Nod

Looking fantastic. Keep up the good work!

- testmetest - 2011-01-03

liquidskin76 Wrote:Can i get everyones thoughts on the icons i've used.
Though nice, I think they don't match the skin well. I think something more like the Refocus icons would better suit this skin.

liquidskin76 Wrote:new poster view

old poster view

I like the original better with the posters more in the middle (horizontally). I think shifting them up throws off the proportionality. Stick with the original as it is closest to Welo's vision and let someone mod it (or do both). IMO, the new view should be addition to and not a replacement of his original view.

liquidskin76 Wrote:I know i'm effectively redoing Hitchers work, however it's helping me to do a better job so i'm sure you will all understand!
Thanks for the strong work and update! Keep on rocking! This looks absolutely gorgeous!

- DPickles - 2011-01-03

While your new icons are nice I personally dont feel that they fit the skin very well. The skin is supposed to be strong with nice clean lines. While these icons look out of place with their grittiness. That and They ignore the "shelf" as a place holder. While the grey colour blends in with the skin, I think that a brighter colour would allow them to stand out more. Sort of like how to posters pop out with the grey background.

I also like the smaller posters, but that's just my taste. Perhaps adding an option for both?

Other than that I'm pleased to see that this skin is making progress. It's got such good potential.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated!

- liquidskin76 - 2011-01-03

Yeh, I agree on both the icons and views. Was just something i tried out. I'll get cooking again on the icons!

I'll leave the views as is and perhaps add the large poster view as an addition.

- Hitcher - 2011-01-03

RE Weather

We did intend to simply use the current weather condition for the icon (Welo wanted to design his own rather than use the standard XBMC ones but I don't see why you can't try using them).

- DPickles - 2011-01-04

I actually like the standard xbmc weather icons. I think they fit the skin rather well. The only reason i see to replace them would be to create styled icons for the whole skin. Which i guess is the intention then?

- liquidskin76 - 2011-01-04

Hitcher Wrote:RE Weather

We did intend to simply use the current weather condition for the icon (Welo wanted to design his own rather than use the standard XBMC ones but I don't see why you can't try using them).

yeh, i'll give them a go. i may have a look at other skin's icons to see if they fit in nicely. maybe xperience's icon set as they are really nice.

- Hitcher - 2011-01-04

Xperience uses the standard XBMC ones.

Just use - <icon>$INFO[Weather.Conditions]</icon>

Sorry, i actually meant xperiences home icons for use on welo home and settings.

Cheers for the weather info.

What does everyone think of Xperience's icons...?

Movies Icon

These icons will fill the gap for release, then later i can sort icons that will be unique to welo.

Cheers

- Hitcher - 2011-01-04

Maybe a bit bigger but that's looks pretty sweet IMO.

- ppic - 2011-01-04

bigger too i think

Yeh, i agree. However by going bigger the quality drops and they start to look fuzzy.

Wonder if i can get the original or larger textures from TeamBlackbolt. Will pm XBMCG33K and ask.

[EDIT] I've sharpened in Photoshop and removed the fuzziness.

- toby77jo - 2011-01-04

eta of pre-puplic-test release? today, a week, a month? I really could live with using it even if there are a few gaps in the settings area etc as long as the main functionality is there .. can't wait =)