Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Welo - a new skin for XBMC in the making - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [WIP] Welo - a new skin for XBMC in the making (/showthread.php?tid=85142)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

- N.O.W.A.L.L - 2011-03-16

Livin Wrote:liquid,
What about turning the covers so they are on a slight angle to give it more depth?

I've never been a fan of this eyecandy stuff.
That's why I use Cirrus Extended now, and will use Welo later.

A skin may be pretty but it has overall to be fast, clear and practical. So turning the covers the way you propose it would fuck up the Welo skin, in my opinion

- liquidskin76 - 2011-03-16

N.O.W.A.L.L Wrote:- Do you plan to add an option for DVD/BR cases?

I haven't given it much thought. Not 100% sure it would suit the skin. Maybe i'll have a play after the release, or maybe one for someone to mod.

N.O.W.A.L.L Wrote:- in the Home screens, will there be an option to hide "listen to", "watch your" etc? like in Confluence?

Hiding the large home txt would leave an awful lot of nothing in the middle when the recently added / random isn't on the screen, like when the video or picture menu shortcut has focus. Again, maybe one for someone to mod if they like.

Cheers

Hey Livin,

Livin Wrote:What about turning the covers so they are on a slight angle to give it more depth?

Not sure it would suit the skin. One for someone to mod i think if they want that!

Livin Wrote:On the text button highlights, a flat rectangle is a bit bland considering the rest of the screen (which looks great). Maybe a bar that has some dimensionality with more curves or a shadow effect like the section around the start ratings?

Do you mean the sllightly darker bar that sits behind the menus and rss? That has been in place from Welo's mockups. I think it was never intended to be to much of a visible feature, and only there to help the menus and rss stand out a bit more.

Cheers Wink

At the moment the RSS is only on the home screen. I'll think i'll add it to more screens (when theres space, so that rules out movies, etc), with a skin setting option to have it only on the home screen.

Regarding views avaliable on release, there will be...

Movies... List, Large List, Poster, Wall,

TV Shows... List, Poster, Episode Landscape

Videos... List

Music... Cover, List

Pictures... Large List

Apps... List

Favs... List

Add-ons... List

Views to be added later are...

Movies... Poster Wrap, Coverflow (maybe), Fanart Landscape

TV Shows... Large List, Poster Wrap, Wall, Fanart Landscape

Videos... Large List

Music... Large List, Cover Wrap, Wall

Pictures... Wall/Thumb

Rome wasn't built in a day!

Cheers

- yllus - 2011-03-16

Beautiful, beautiful skin.

You know, my main complaint about XBMC skins all these years is how tiny the text in all of them tends to be. I'm happy to see that Welo isn't falling into that trap.

I'm subscribed to this thread and can't wait for it to come out. Thanks for the great work!

- MidnightWatcher - 2011-03-16

Very nice, I'm going to subscribe to this thread. From what I understand this is still a work in progress and it can't be downloaded yet, correct?

MidnightWatcher Wrote:From what I understand this is still a work in progress and it can't be downloaded yet, correct?

yep, that's correct!

cheers

- acelove - 2011-03-16

This is my 1st post, just signed up to say a massive thank you for taking on this project!

I installed the mock up version last week and it's by far the best theme for XBMC, I think it should be installed as default.. Looks amazing on the projector too!

I have two suggestions,
TVThemes! Any chance this could work along side it?
TV ClearArt/Logo View (with additional banners etc) just makes it nicer with my XBMC Commander on my iPad) ^,^

Keep up the good work!! Smile

Ace

- N.O.W.A.L.L - 2011-03-16

liquidskin76 Wrote:Hiding the large home txt would leave an awful lot of nothing in the middle when the recently added / random isn't on the screen, like when the video or picture menu shortcut has focus. Again, maybe one for someone to mod if they like.
Cheers

I was not talking about hiding the all text, but only the 1st line (only "MUSIC" instead of LISTEN TO YOUR MUSIC") Anyway I understand your point of view, I guess it's better to have 2 lines of text filling this wide space

- tungmeister - 2011-03-16

Really liking the way this skin is progressing, good work! I really like the music views, I often find that other skins lack nice ways to browse my music collection, I think i'll probably switch once Fanart Landscape views are available as that's currently my favorite way to browse.

- Livin - 2011-03-17

liquidskin76 Wrote:Hey Livin,

Not sure it would suit the skin. One for someone to mod i think if they want that!

Do you mean the sllightly darker bar that sits behind the menus and rss? That has been in place from Welo's mockups. I think it was never intended to be to much of a visible feature, and only there to help the menus and rss stand out a bit more.

Cheers Wink

Liquid,
Didn't the original mockup have a super sweet home screen with movie posters on an angle and laying in a somewhat random way?

- liquidskin76 - 2011-03-17

Livin Wrote:Liquid,
Didn't the original mockup have a super sweet home screen with movie posters on an angle and laying in a somewhat random way?

Hey Livin,

The original mockups had 3 themes. Simple, Standard, and Extreme. Simple is what i've been following.

The standard and extreme themes had the posters designed slightly differently, and had (for extreme and for movies) artwork like a popcorn tub, some dvd's, and an htpc sitting on the shelf.

Just checked the mockups again and the posters are never at an angle.

I hope to implement the standard and extreme views in the future however one problem is that Welo never got around to finishing that part, so other than for movies, it's lacking all the other artwork for tv show, music, etc. It will take some design work hence why it's one for later!

Cheers

[EDIT:] like this (extreme theme from original mockups)...

[EDIT (again):] forgot just how cool that looks! def one for a future version.

- liquidskin76 - 2011-03-17

tungmeister Wrote:I think i'll probably switch once Fanart Landscape views are available as that's currently my favorite way to browse.

Hey tungmeister,

The landscape fanart view will work really well with the option to hide the fanart in the bottom left corner. Hopefully it will follow on soon after the release. Wink

Cheers

- toby77jo - 2011-03-17

please give us a preview build .. you must be so close to done with the essential stuff already ... months now of drooling over mockups! comeone share the latest commit you did?