Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Library Mode Weirdness.. Is it XBMC or my n00bishness? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Library Mode Weirdness.. Is it XBMC or my n00bishness? (/showthread.php?tid=85276)

Pages: 1 2

[WINDOWS] Library Mode Weirdness.. Is it XBMC or my n00bishness? - pseudomasochist - 2010-11-12

Hello there, smarter XBMC users than me!

I've just upgraded to a nice new 1080p plasma, and as a result, some of Boxee's limitations (not yet supporting 1080p mkv acceleration on Windows) have pushed me into the XBMC camp.

I'm running Dharma Beta 4 on a clean retail Windows 7 install, on an Acer Revo 3610. Playback is perfect. I scrape my media with MIP, everything is picked up nicely, and I have an unRaid share full of movies, each in their own folder along with various corresponding .nfo, .jpg and .tbn files.

XBMC seems to pick up my media. Looking through my XBMC log shows that VideoInfoScanner chugs along for about four minutes then finishes with no errors. Library mode seems to act... weirdly, though.

In files view, I can navigate my share. Folder.jpg is picked up, and folders display the correct movie poster. Select a folder and now I'm looking at just the single .mkv file. The correct poster is still displayed, as well as fan art in the background. Hitting 'i' or going into the context menu and selecting movie information brings up the information as expected, and it is correct. No problems here.

Here is where I'm having problems. In library mode, fan art seems to work fine, as does the movie description. Instead of the movie's poster, though, it seems to be displaying some sort of ffmpeg-generated thumbnail, all squished and narrow in a poster-sized box. If I go back to files mode, select movie info, then change the poster, then go back to library mode, the poster will display correctly. I really don't want to have to do this for every single movie. Especially when you factor in the second part of the problem -- I can't get to the movie information panel in library mode at all. Pressing 'i' does nothing. Going into the context menu and selecting movie information does nothing either.

I've tried deleting my database and starting from scratch. Most recently I deleted the entire XBMC data folder and started again, with the same results. I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I've been all over the wiki and the forums, and if this question has been answered before I've missed it. Thanks in advance for any help!

- FishOil - 2010-11-12

Sounds like to me that you have the image file named incorrectly. I dont know what MIP is but try the standard scrapers and see if it works. Delete the image files for one movie and rescrape it. See if there is a change.

- stoli - 2010-11-12

I'd enable the debug log and rescan your library and post the resulting log file.

- pseudomasochist - 2010-11-12

Nope, still no change. The only way I can seem to get it to work is to manually refresh each movie, then manually select a remote poster file. Then it's peaches and gravy.. I'm trying again from scratch at the moment, deleting everything but the movie files themselves, trashing the XBMC config folder yet again, and rescraping.

Any idea what's causing the other issue? No movie information panel in library mode? This one is even more perplexing to me, actually.. I'd really like to be able to see cast info and watch trailers from library mode, but I can only do that from files mode now. Am I doing something wrong there?

- FishOil - 2010-11-13

pseudomasochist Wrote:Am I doing something wrong there?

I think so.

Report back after your latest effort.

- steelman1991 - 2010-11-13

Hi - I assume you are referring to Media Info Plus as a third party scraper. If so, then searching for answers via the wiki is a complete waste of time - as a 3rd party app, MIP is not supported in xbmc therefore no wiki articles would be available.

If MIP has generated nfo files within your file/folder structure, then they may be interfering with the scraping mechanism. All this is purely guess work - provide a debug log during the scanning process and you are more likely to receive advice. - see sticky for info on how to report a problem correctly.

Other alternative is to delete all nfo files if in fact they exist and scrape as Fishoil has suggested, without MIP using purely xbmc and see what happens. Providing your naming convetion is reasonable (files within individual folders, year in parenthisis) I see no need for the use of any 3rd party apps to scrape anyway.

Is MIP still actively supported anyway?

- harry3001 - 2010-11-13

i had a similar problem once - sounds like xbmc is finding the nfo that MIP created, but it can't parse it properly, hence no plot etc. not surprising since MIP isn't being developed anymore.
if it was me, i'd use media companion (gen2) on your movies, then rescrape the new nfo's in xbmc.
or delete the nfo's and let xbmc's native scraper handle it...

- kricker - 2010-11-14

Bingo! the above posts should be right on target. A .nfo file that is not completely compatible with XBMC will result in all the symptoms you are seeing. Kill those as suggested and get a compatible media tool. Or you can just let XBMC do it, then export the library into separate files which will create all the .nfo files as well.

Same problem - Croftman - 2010-11-23

Hi, I have been using XBMC for a number of years. Stopped using it when the Xbox could not support HD files. Have just decided to build a HTPC with some old bits. And I am suffering the exact same problem as yourself.
All my movie files are on my W drive on my main win7 machine. I have XBMC on that machine and everthing is perfect. In file mode and library mode poster art is correct. On my new HTPC which accesses that network share I have the same problem as you. Everything is ok in file mode and I have thin sorts of fanart that seem to be downloaded from the web. I have gone from scraping internally in XBMC. To Ember Media Manager and then to the recommended Media Companion gen2 3.400. I have had the same results with all three. Stripping out the database and thumbnails and even doing a new install have made things no better. I am running RC1.
If I move a movie from the internal drive to a network share and rescan the problem occurs on just that one movie, if I then move it back and rescan all is well.

- kricker - 2010-11-23

First make a database backup:
Make sure your remote shares are on and accessible. Then go into settings/video/library and clean the library. That should clean the library of any files that no longer exist. If you have a remote share off when you do a "clean" it will remove those items as well as it sees them as missing. At this point export your database as a single file. Now you have a backup and can commence with starting fresh.

Start fresh:
Clear any meta data files such as .nfo files from within the various items folders. Go to video in file mode and find your remote source that has your movies. Choose the context menu/set content. Now set the content as none. It should ask if you want to remove from the library. Say yes. now reset the content back to movies or TV which ever it is and re-do your settings as needed. Now re-scan. As long as there are no errant .nfo files laying around things should go smoothly. In my experience it has always been incompatible .nfo files, improper content settings or a whacked file naming structure that produces bad scans from within XBMC.

- Croftman - 2010-11-23

Thanks for your speedy reply Kricker,
I have been thinking about this all day and had put a plan of action together based on your suggestions.
I don't know if I am seeing bugs here with RC1 or its to do with my setup.

Firstly I had the default select action set to Show information in Video Settings/Library/File lists. With this set pressing on a movie in file mode produced the info with a press in library mode nothing happens. If you change the default action to Choose, play and more work but again Show information does not.

Next I attempted to clear the library using the method you suggest, which I had done previously and the library was staying intact. It wasnt until I disconected the share physically that the library cleared correctly. I removed all but the MKV's from there folders and rescanned and guess what happened those funny bits of art reappeared, are they being held in some sort of cache. When you then press on show info and press get thumb the window opens but the program makes no atempt to show remote thumb.
If you then click on play after doing that you get "This file is no longer available. Would you like to remove it from the library?"
Havnt given up yet but I feel as if I am going round in circles, please bear in mind that none of this happens if the files are on the drives of the machine that XBMC is on, it is only when they are on remote shares.
It would seem that there is nothing in the nfo files that points to file paths anyway. and the other items are just images.

Just repeated above with a complete erase of the Appdata\Roaming\XBMC folder same behaviour as above.

- Croftman - 2010-11-23

I have just gone through exactly the same procedure and everthing seems to be working ok even with all the nfo's and art in place, will investigate further and reply if any further problems. Dont know what put it right

- kricker - 2010-11-24

I meant to reply earlier and suggest you make sure all your scraper add-ons are up to date. I'm glad to see things are in order now.

- Strat_87 - 2011-04-21

I'm having the same problems using Ember Media Manager. All fanart is shown correctly in file mode and in library mode, In library mode however, some posters are not picked up correctly as mentioned before. Some have this weird screencap kind of look, others just no poster at all (while poster is always present in movie folder)

In my case it always happens for posters that are in folders with .iso movies.
Al my movies in VIDEO_TS / .mkv format display the poster fine.

I really like ember because it is much more flexible in choosing and maintaining fanart and posters. Also having the poster and fanart in the movie folder is a big + in my opinion. It would be even better if there was an ember like solution build in with XBMC
to avoid all these hick-ups.

I'd really like to see this one fixed. It is a real pain to always switch to file mode, go to movie information, change the thumb, change the thumb back to it's original and then it shows fine in Library mode.

Sometimes however the movie is found twice in Library mode after this operation and you have to perform a clean of your library to have the one without the right poster deleted from the library.

- Strat_87 - 2011-04-26

If you use an external source, put smb: in front of your path, that solved things for me.