Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- buzz_kill - 2010-12-24

Between this, and Welo I feel as if I have been drooling forever. Hopefully we will have a nice savory morsel to sink our teeth into soon.

- ab1x - 2010-12-24

I like to test this amazing skin
where i can find file

- ppic - 2010-12-24

WIP means Work In Progress so this skin is not available.

- JustinAiken - 2010-12-24

blacklist Wrote:a show that has ended need to work out alternative content. Maybe a last watched episode?

How about a button that automatically sends a hate email to the Fox executive that canceled the show? :p

Seriously though, the skin is looking better and better! Big Grin

- blacklist - 2010-12-24

buzz_kill Wrote:Between this, and Welo I feel as if I have been drooling forever. Hopefully we will have a nice savory morsel to sink our teeth into soon.

Dude, this is still a long way off. I hope you are drinking plenty of fluids so you don't dehydrate with all the drooling.

On a side note: check out the new logo in my sig. Smile

- blacklist - 2010-12-24

clock2113 Wrote:How about a button that automatically sends a hate email to the Fox executive that canceled the show? :p

Seriously though, the skin is looking better and better! Big Grin

Thanks. Big Grin

Don't distract the python guys with hate mail scripts. Wink Ihave enough to keep ppic busy for the rest of the year! The more i look at that show view the more its growing on me.. i think ill. Follow through with a season and episode view that will animate logically straight from there.

- MarkTaunton - 2010-12-24

As it is xmas or near enough, I shall be scrooge for the XBMC pantomine.

I am starting to see a possible downside to this skin which is :

Because of some of the episode views, and thumbnail views, unless they are remotley downloaded by the skin.

I think everyone will have to update their media library to scrape enough thumbnails to cover all the extra thumbs.

I haven't tried updating the latest XMBC using Ember to update a movie, but from previous experience it has never updated the database, which means that you have to clear it and start all over again.

When you have 1200 odd movies, and countless TV shows this can be a major project.

I hope I am wrong with this, but some people will scrape just one extra thumbnail, some will scrape two, I usually scrape five nowadays just to have a variety, but when I try bulk importing, you always end up with a mess or so I find, so usually it is a pain stakeing task of one at a time.

- D0nR0s4 - 2010-12-24

MarkTaunton Wrote:I think everyone will have to update their media library to scrape enough thumbnails to cover all the extra thumbs.

I haven't tried updating the latest XBMC using Ember to update a movie, but from previous experience it has never updated the database, which means that you have to clear it and start all over again.

When you have 1200 odd movies, and countless TV shows this can be a major project.

Actually, because Extrathumbs and extrafanart aren't stored in the library, all ember has to do is save the corresponding files and you're done. So for a bit of automated work you get an amazing looking (and hopefully feeling) experience of a skin.

- blacklist - 2010-12-24

D0nR0sa Wrote:Actually, because Extrathumbs and extrafanart aren't stored in the library, all ember has to do is save the corresponding files and you're done. So for a bit of automated work you get an amazing looking (and hopefully feeling) experience of a skin.

What the duck dude said. Smile

Right now all the extra info that I'm using is 2 extra thumbs in some of the views. The actor info should take care (scrape) itself. Ember or another media manager should make it a mostly painless process.

The downside that I'm afraid of is the amount of python that this is requiring to work. A lot of the features are not core xbmc so it's taking a good bit of addons to help it along.

One issue I am finding with my extra thumbs is that because in some views I have both the fan art and the first extra thumb visible, because of the way it was scraping, I end up with the same image for both. I ended up just renaming all of my thumb1 to something else and then thumb2 to thumb1.

- ppic - 2010-12-24

you could make this image as multiimage on extrathumbs folder, so it will load every thumbs (one at time of course)

- TheDuffMan - 2010-12-24

Just had to stop in and say WOW. Those mockups look incredible and I'd use this skin in a heartbeat. I'm subscribed to this thread and look forwards to watching your updates!

- blacklist - 2010-12-24

ppic Wrote:you could make this image as multiimage on extrathumbs folder, so it will load every thumbs (one at time of course)

I thought of that too, might be a good option. I just had a brainstorm but no time to mock it up right now. I'm I've got what I think is a cool idea for a progress indicator.

Does anyone know... If a show has 132 episodes and I've watched 10... I know I can get both of those numbers. Can the skin do the math to figure out what the percentage complete?

Ok, I'll show my hand. I want to use the pocket watch to show the progress. So I'll move the hand around the pocket watch... If the show is 10% complete it should do an 18 degree rotation. 180/100 = 1.8 degrees per percentage, so 10% complete results in an 18 degree rotation.

I want to use the same paradigm for showing progress on the OSD as well.

I think it will be a great fit for the look of the skin.

- JustinAiken - 2010-12-24

blacklist Wrote:I want to use the pocket watch to show the progress. So I'll move the hand around the pocket watch... If the show is 10% complete it should do an 18 degree rotation.

ShockedShockedShockedBig Grin

- isamu.dragon - 2010-12-24

blacklist Wrote:I thought of that too, might be a good option. I just had a brainstorm but no time to mock it up right now. I'm I've got what I think is a cool idea for a progress indicator.

Does anyone know... If a show has 132 episodes and I've watched 10... I know I can get both of those numbers. Can the skin do the math to figure out what the percentage complete?

Ok, I'll show my hand. I want to use the pocket watch to show the progress. So I'll move the hand around the pocket watch... If the show is 10% complete it should do an 18 degree rotation. 180/100 = 1.8 degrees per percentage, so 10% complete results in an 18 degree rotation.

I want to use the same paradigm for showing progress on the OSD as well.

I think it will be a great fit for the look of the skin.

that sounds like a sweet idea

- MarkTaunton - 2010-12-25

I bow my head to you blacklist (but I am going to be Scrooge again) you are a true artist in every sense but......

If you keep expanding your wonderful creation, will it ever get created?

There is only so much genius that can go into a skin, and I know about artists, they step into a bubble, and that bubble does not pop.

I for one am all for these cavemen to stop using the xbox for XBMC, and for creative skins like yours to emerge.

There has to be a limit at the moment though, as yours is probaly the most technically developed skin in progress.

Xperience was probaly the most out there skin created so far, Welo is probaly the most simplist but modern and different, and your skin is just a work of art.

Already the xbox (spits) users are out of the picture, but you are slowly cutting off more and more people, like the ion (spits) owners and probaly some of the lesser computer owners around.

So the more improvements you make or want to bring in, the less the market share is going to be for this skin.

I personally wouldn't think this is a gorgeous skin, and go out and spend £500 $700 on a new computer just to run it, unless I needed a new computer of course.

The more CPU demanding you make this the less people can enjoy this skin.

Maybe I am wrong but I would say about 30% of the users of XBMC would be able to use this skin, the other 70% will either be totally stuck or computers maybe struggling.

You have some amazing ideas, and are throughly professional in your updates but....

At some point you have to draw a line and release the skin, then maybe work on future updates and improvements for the skin.

Sometimes less is more....