Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- mcborzu - 2011-02-19

theuni Wrote:Yikes. I'm coming into this conversation late, and admittedly breaking the rule by not reading the entire thread first, but I feel like I should chime in here. The fact that the skin is that heavy and loaded with scripts is troublesome in terms of the official repo. I really hope you're planning to submit the skin there when it's finished, it looks beautiful so far!

Looking at the download numbers, I would hope that all skinners would target our repo, it gives a massive amount of exposure.

So, could you enlighten me as to whether you are including scripts with the skin, or if you're using other scripts from the repo? I'd like to get a dialog going to avoid any confusion later.

Keep up the good work!

TheUni

Awesome, been waiting on those stats. Might have been released via the mailing list but I've been lax on reading those...

- blacklist - 2011-02-19

theuni Wrote:Yikes. I'm coming into this conversation late, and admittedly breaking the rule by not reading the entire thread first, but I feel like I should chime in here. The fact that the skin is that heavy and loaded with scripts is troublesome in terms of the official repo. I really hope you're planning to submit the skin there when it's finished, it looks beautiful so far!

Looking at the download numbers, I would hope that all skinners would target our repo, it gives a massive amount of exposure.

So, could you enlighten me as to whether you are including scripts with the skin, or if you're using other scripts from the repo? I'd like to get a dialog going to avoid any confusion later.

Keep up the good work!

TheUni

We are making use of several existing scripts (recentlyadded, nextaired), but are adding 3 or 4 of our own (so far). We are definitly targeting the offical repo, and have made sure at each step to make sure we are using properly licensed fonts, etc. I'm afraid the sheer size of the skin may be what keeps us out, however.

As far as the scripts go, as of right now I'm planning on including the scripts with the skin.... but we're a long way off from release and have plenty of time to adjust what were doing before then.

- ppic - 2011-02-19

blaclist, my script are all designed to be on repo, i've always tink about that, i won't release it before we finish them with the skin use, but i believe theses need to be on repo because all skinners can make use of them.

@theuni:
seen or xbmc passion stats ?
here: http://passion-xbmc.org/addons/?Page=Stats
i think we save a lot of bandwith to xbmc servers with svn skins Wink

- blacklist - 2011-02-19

ppic Wrote:blaclist, my script are all designed to be on repo, i've always tink about that, i won't release it before we finish them with the skin use, but i believe theses need to be on repo because all skinners can make use of them.

@theuni:
seen or xbmc passion stats ?
here: http://passion-xbmc.org/addons/?Page=Stats
i think we save a lot of bandwith to xbmc servers with svn skins Wink

Oh I agree completely PPIC - I want all the scripts we have developed to be on the repo after we release. I would, however like to (selfishly) wait until we release to throw them out to everyone.

BTW I made a change locally to the actors script - at the top where we clear all the variables, we need to increase the number it clears to more like 75 or so. Did it on my local copy to fix a bug but haven't had the chance to push it to you guys yet.

And just because I can... how do we integrate that passion-xbmc swf chart thing into Paper Street?!? I TOTALLY want to be able to make pie charts of my media!!!! Big Grin (I'm totally not kidding. I'm already working on how to do it.)

- theuni - 2011-02-19

@blacklist: Great to hear we're on the same page. We do not allow scripts to be packaged with in-repo skins for a variety of reasons, so as long as you have that in mind while dev'ing, it sounds like it won't be an issue.

What's the current size? Currently the biggest in the repo is shade at 83mb zipped, I'm hesitant to go much bigger.

TheUni

- blacklist - 2011-02-19

theuni Wrote:@blacklist: Great to hear we're on the same page. We do not allow scripts to be packaged with in-repo skins for a variety of reasons, so as long as you have that in mind while dev'ing, it sounds like it won't be an issue.

What's the current size? Currently the biggest in the repo is shade at 83mb zipped, I'm hesitant to go much bigger.

TheUni

Um.... 414MB

*runs and hides*

Now, that's the development copy, and there are some things that we can pull out and offer as optional additional downloads (for instance backgrounds - we have a skin option of 25 custom backgrounds that are user configurable).

There are some additional audio files and such that can come out too... but even at HALF that size, it will be the largest skin XBMC has seen yet.

So... Big Grin

EDIT: I don't think that number is right. Can't possibly be, but its the one the svn is reporting. I'll get the right one when I get home in front of it. Maybe one of the other guys can correct me, because that number is insane.

- ppic - 2011-02-19

well, as far as i see, there's lot of images included that will not be part of the skin release.

for now, my svn skin folder goes to 355mb.

@blacklist, please follow me your change, will save me time Wink

- blacklist - 2011-02-20

ppic Wrote:@blacklist, please follow me your change, will save me time Wink

No problem, but its literally changing one number from 25 to 75 Big Grin

- ronie - 2011-02-20

theuni Wrote:So, could you enlighten me as to whether you are including scripts with the skin, or if you're using other scripts from the repo? I'd like to get a dialog going to avoid any confusion later.

Keep up the good work!

TheUni

it may be a bit early to discuss things since 'we've only just begun'...
but i'm well aware of the do's and don'ts when in comes to the official repo ;-)

no scripts we use will be included in the skin. all scripts will be committed to the repo separately and are suitable for any skin to use.

also, everything will be open-source and we've kept our eye on licenses right from the start.

the only point of discussion, as far as i can see now, will be the size.
we code everything in 1080i, which means textures will be 1.5 times bigger than the ones in all the 720p skins....and we're fairly heavy on texture use too.

can't give any exact figures on we're we will end but somewhere between 100-150Mb (uncompressed) would be a rough estimate.

anyway, i'd be interested to find out why there's a limit on skin size in the addon repo and if there's any concrete plans to allow for 'image pack' addons, like those studio icons or weather fanart packs.
that would certainly cut down the size of this (and many other) skins.

cheers.

- blacklist - 2011-02-20

ronie Wrote:it may be a bit early to discuss things since 'we've only just begun'...
but i'm well aware of the do's and don'ts when in comes to the official repo ;-)

no scripts we use will be included in the skin. all scripts will be committed to the repo separately and are suitable for any skin to use.

also, everything will be open-source and we've kept our eye on licenses right from the start.

the only point of discussion, as far as i can see now, will be the size.
we code everything in 1080i, which means textures will be 1.5 times bigger than the ones in all the 720p skins....and we're fairly heavy on texture use too.

can't give any exact figures on we're we will end but somewhere between 100-150Mb (uncompressed) would be a rough estimate.

anyway, i'd be interested to find out why there's a limit on skin size in the addon repo and if there's any concrete plans to allow for 'image pack' addons, like those studio icons or weather fanart packs.
that would certainly cut down the size of this (and many other) skins.

cheers.

What he said Smile

- blacklist - 2011-02-20

VERY VERY early work in progress... need some opinions to continue or trash the idea.

Ok, I need some opinions. What do you guys think about this view? Right now I've got it targeted to an episode view, but I can see other places where we could use it. Is it too strange to mix media like this?

- Harro - 2011-02-20

I like the view but what would be cooler IMO is using the bubble texts to display a line from said episode or source. I also had been thinking about a skin with the cartoon book feel through out, but i have no skillz. Sad

- pieh - 2011-02-20

theuni Wrote:@blacklist: Great to hear we're on the same page. We do not allow scripts to be packaged with in-repo skins for a variety of reasons, so as long as you have that in mind while dev'ing, it sounds like it won't be an issue.

TheUni
if You already step by here, then I'd like to ask quick question submiting addons to official repo (this kinda is realated to this topic as this skin use these addons I want to ask about):

I'm developing python rss client for xbmc and I have 3 seperate addons for this:
  • Standalone rss client - program addon that have it's own GUI
  • Background rss client - program addon that passes data to window's properties (for example: You can include rss feeds to Your Home window)
  • Shared library to retrieve/cache/parse rss feeds
Spliting it to these have impact on performance and ease of code maintance.

While it isn't quite ready to push it to official repo, I created my dev repo on github that currently also function as unofficial addon repository: https://github.com/pieh/pieh-xbmc-addons .

Now the issue: As far as I know with git You must clone entire repository, right? Is there any way to deal with it as it is now or will I have to break these addons to seperate git repositories so I can request pulling to official addon repo?

Sorry for offtopic.

- stoli - 2011-02-20

@grajen3 - you're better off, and more polite, to ask that in a new thread in the python/script dev forum.

@blacklist - not so sure about that much intermingling. Is the idea to mesh comics and tv shows? If so doesn't the whole container issue present a problem?

- blacklist - 2011-02-20

stoli Wrote:@grajen3 - you're better off, and more polite, to ask that in a new thread in the python/script dev forum.

@blacklist - not so sure about that much intermingling. Is the idea to mesh comics and tv shows? If so doesn't the whole container issue present a problem?

No, not really meshing the two, just creating a comic-like view for tv shows. Each episode is a panel of the comic, and you flip through to select.

Maybe its a little too "out there".