Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- blacklist - 2011-02-23

Should have told him to read all 69 pages and then ask again. Wink

- Oddsodz - 2011-02-23

Going back a few pages. What is the issue with end product skin size? Why may I ask is everybody going nuts if it is over 300MB+? I Don't see it as an issue unless you are worry about bandwidth on the repo going over budget! I Don't mind downloading 1GB for a good looking product. And I am sure not many else will. Lets face it. It's only 1 torrented (don't tell me you don't do it) movies worth when you think about it.

- blacklist - 2011-02-23

Oddsodz Wrote:Going back a few pages. What is the issue with end product skin size? Why may I ask is everybody going nuts if it is over 300MB+? I Don't see it as an issue unless you are worry about bandwidth on the repo going over budget! I Don't mind downloading 1GB for a good looking product. And I am sure not many else will. Lets face it. It's only 1 torrented (don't tell me you don't do it) movies worth when you think about it.

As you said, getting it in the official repo is the issue. I don't think most people would have an issue downloading a large file (except Canadians, apparently) but the exposure and "officiall-ness" (feel free to use that word, I made it up and its licensed open source) are very attractive ways to get exposure for the skin.

Otherwise, if the size keeps us out (my guess is a bandwidth issue for the xbmc mirror) then we would have to look at an unofficial repo (passion-xbmc comes to mind) or just releasing it as a straight download.

But, as ronie pointed out, we are quite a ways from release and plenty to happen between here and there.

- ppic - 2011-02-23

lol, we already overload bandwith on passion !

- JustinAiken - 2011-02-23

What about finishing the movie/tv/actor/director parts, and releasing that first, then doing music and pictures later?

/sneaky attempt by a video-only user to get the skin sooner...

- ppic - 2011-02-23

nice try, but i think you can keep the line Wink

- blacklist - 2011-02-23

clock2113 Wrote:What about finishing the movie/tv/actor/director parts, and releasing that first, then doing music and pictures later?

/sneaky attempt by a video-only user to get the skin sooner...

Nice try Smile but there are lots of parts that still aren't finished in the video section.

Besides, I know everyone has been waiting on this view to be finished... Wink

AND... we are packing SO much good stuff into the music section, maybe we will get a convert Wink

- blacklist - 2011-02-23

Finished, art to ronie.

There is a script somewhere that downloads banners, right? I don't have any to test out and really don't like the idea of going and manually getting them for all 300 some odd of my shows.

- ppic - 2011-02-23

hum...
you disapoint me Blacklist, please see my sign...

lol

- igotdvds - 2011-02-23

ppic Wrote:hum...
you disapoint me Blacklist, please see my sign...

lol

As far as I am concerned, when it comes to wondering if an addon exists, I like to use the phrase, "PPIC has a script for that" Smile

- stoli - 2011-02-23

A Buffy logo on Caprica? Come on Blacklist, get it right in the mockups! Big Grin

- ronie - 2011-02-23

blacklist Wrote:There is a script somewhere that downloads banners, right? I don't have any to test out and really don't like the idea of going and manually getting them for all 300 some odd of my shows.

might be a good time to start a discussion on banners in skins...

what would users prefer?
-use a skin hack to show banner.jpg images
cons: you need to use a third party app to download them or you have to manually rename the the show thumbs

-stick with default xbmc standards (ie folder.jpg)
pros: will work right out of the box with the default scraper.

- dormamu - 2011-02-23

ronie Wrote:might be a good time to start a discussion on banners in skins...

what would users prefer?
-use a skin hack to show banner.jpg images
cons: you need to use a third party app to download them or you have to manually rename the the show thumbs

-stick with default xbmc standards (ie folder.jpg)
pros: will work right out of the box with the default scraper.

I prefer the first option since I also need the same third party app to download the tv show logo.

- ronie - 2011-02-23

stoli Wrote:A Buffy logo on Caprica? Come on Blacklist, get it right in the mockups! Big Grin

hmmm...i'm more worried about showing mediaflags at tv show level...

- igotdvds - 2011-02-23

ronie Wrote:hmmm...i'm more worried about showing mediaflags at tv show level...

About all I can think is that you can compare to Studio and show if the show is "available" in HD.