Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- sonic00 - 2011-04-12

ronie Wrote:a rough estimate would be that currently 35% of the skin is finished
and there's no plan to release anything before we hit 100% somewhere in 2012.
2012?? Shocked WTF ...

- pecinko - 2011-04-12

sonic00 Wrote:2012?? Shocked WTF ...

Nothing to be shocked about.

Do your math: there are 80 windows to skin. If you spend a week doing, fine tuning & testing each one of them it would be finished in 80 weeks.

And this is just rough estimate. And with more complex skins..

- liquidskin76 - 2011-04-12

...plus work and life in general. You've got to remember that we have to find time to skin in our own time! Wink

- sonic00 - 2011-04-12

Sure, but why you have to go public with it, if you need more than 1 year to get it done?

Wouldn't it be better, you work "in the dark" and go public, when you see the finish line?

Now you make the people really enthusiastic about that great skin, but keep them in tenterhooks for a very long time.

- Maxoo - 2011-04-12

sonic00 Wrote:Sure, but why you have to go public with it, if you need more than 1 year to get it done?.
Don't you think that, if they need time to finish it, it's because it's not... finished. You can't have a skin that has no settings view, no dialogs, or no music view or anything else. The beta state means everything is coded, particularly every views, and you just need to track down some bugs.

- sonic00 - 2011-04-12

Don't know what you talking about.

I never said that they should release an unfished skin yet.

I was talking about the whole Thread here.

sonic00 Wrote:Wouldn't it be better, you work "in the dark" and go public, when you see the finish line?

With Paper Street and Welo, it was concept in the begining by a designer. That concept was put out there for opinion and was picked up by a skinner, hence why it's being developed in the public eye.

Agreed, it does have it's disadvantages however there's no way round it when the skin started out as a concept by a non-skinner.

sonic00 Wrote:Now you make the people really enthusiastic about that great skin, but keep them in tenterhooks for a very long time.

We don't do it on purpose! Everyone just needs to be patient and be excited for the future, whilst in the mean time using one of the other great skins avaliable. Wink

- Amra - 2011-04-12

sonic00 Wrote:I was talking about the whole Thread here.
I think that threads like these are often started because the skin creator is looking to gauge interest in the skin and, possibly for some encouragement since it is a very time consuming endeavor. Also, opening a thread for your skin will often allow you to get help from other skinners when needed. For instance, I believe ppic & ronie, among others, have contributed to this skin.

- mortstar - 2011-04-12

Some of the attitudes of the people in threads like this (not just here, on other projects where people are using their own free time to provide something for others) really make me despair.

Do so many people in real life have this entitlement attitude? Where; even though they are getting something for free and with absolutely no effort on their part, they manage to bitch and moan to the people who are kindly giving out information whilst working on these projects.

It happens time and time again and it is no wonder that people like Frodo (a founder of XBMC who forked MediaPortal) end up completely abandoning these projects.

After all this i expect blacklist, ronie, and gang were joking about 2012, and will release an alpha next week!

- Hitcher - 2011-04-12

sonic00 Wrote:Sure, but why you have to go public with it, if you need more than 1 year to get it done?

Wouldn't it be better, you work "in the dark" and go public, when you see the finish line?

Now you make the people really enthusiastic about that great skin, but keep them in tenterhooks for a very long time.

sonic00 Wrote:Don't know what you talking about.

I never said that they should release an unfished skin yet.

I was talking about the whole Thread here.

This is a development forum.

Quote:development

–noun

1. the act or process of developing; growth; progress: child development; economic development.

- yazgar - 2011-04-12

Hitcher Wrote:This is a development forum.

Nod
Well played (tips hat)

Lets just enjoy the thread. Even if it's one or two years long. I think it's great to come by everyday and see what crazy idea blacklist has to screw with ronie and ppic. Followed by the tension before finally the next post comes with another amazing workaround!

Keep it up guys.

- sonic00 - 2011-04-12

Hitcher Wrote:This is a development forum.
So what? No space for some critic?

- mortstar - 2011-04-12

sonic00 Wrote:So what? No space for some critic?

Where's your constructive critism?

- Hitcher - 2011-04-12

sonic00 Wrote:So what? No space for some critic?

To be honest you shouldn't even be in here -

Quote:Skin Development

GUI and Web skins/themes, graphics development and suggestions.
No End-User Support Requests! Only skinners and graphic artists.

Wink