Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept) (/showthread.php?tid=86501)

- cherzo - 2011-04-21

Looking forward to this Smile

Even tho a a certain 'fan' has terrible taste in sitcoms Wink

- xm41907 - 2011-04-21

I've been passively watching this thread waiting to try it out. The skin looks amazing and is the most unique skin for XBMC. One concern I have is with everything that is being included, how will it run on lower end systems. I'm sure it's going to work great on my new laptop, but what about my Acer Revo? I have my doubts that it will work well. I could be wrong though. For those working on it, are you testing it on lower end equipment as well?

- buzz_kill - 2011-04-22

xm41907 Wrote:I've been passively watching this thread waiting to try it out. The skin looks amazing and is the most unique skin for XBMC. One concern I have is with everything that is being included, how will it run on lower end systems. I'm sure it's going to work great on my new laptop, but what about my Acer Revo? I have my doubts that it will work well. I could be wrong though. For those working on it, are you testing it on lower end equipment as well?

you obviously havent been paying too much attention to the thread...

- xm41907 - 2011-04-22

buzz_kill Wrote:you obviously havent been paying too much attention to the thread...

I've read every page of the thread. There is little discussion over what system this skin is intended for. The main discussion regarding optimization and such is about SQL database or scripts. There is a wide range of hardware XBMC runs on and with all the work going into this, I thinks it's a vaild question to ask. The only other mention of a Revo was on post # 80 (Page 8 ) and it wasn't even addressed.

I want to give a big thanks to all the time, effort, and creativity that's going into it. I'm not hounding for a release. I'm not criticizing what the developers are doing or have anything against the skin. I'd simply like to know what kind of system should the target user have. There is a wide range of hardware XBMC runs on and with all the work going into this, I thinks it's a valid question to ask. If netops like my Revo don't have the hardware capabilities, then people that are stuck with them shouldn't get their hopes up about something they can't even run. Thankfully, I've got a new laptop that should play it without problems. Others aren't so lucky.

- stoli - 2011-04-22

If I'm not mistaken Blacklist and Ronie has both said this skin will push the limits of what xbmc can do from a skinning perspective. That pretty much says it may not run well on lower end machines. That's just the price of progress - cutting edge software nearly always requires higher end hardware - a price I'm certainly willing to pay for what I am seeing so far.

- blacklist - 2011-04-22

stoli Wrote:If I'm not mistaken Blacklist and Ronie has both said this skin will push the limits of what xbmc can do from a skinning perspective. That pretty much says it may not run well on lower end machines. That's just the price of progress - cutting edge software nearly always requires higher end hardware - a price I'm certainly willing to pay for what I am seeing so far.

You're not mistaken.

- aremar2k2 - 2011-04-27

blacklist Wrote:You're not mistaken.

What would be more beneficial? A new video card or a faster processor?

- Maxoo - 2011-04-27

It depends on the OS I think. Under Windows, XBMC can use DirectX to render the GUI (if supported by the skin), on Linux it's OpenGL.

- Krazypoloc - 2011-04-27

Very interested in this! Thankfully when I built both my HTPC's I built them with some expansion in mind, so they should have enough grunt to run any skin.

- Oddsodz - 2011-04-28

Are we there yet?

(joke)

Amazing! - Toki - 2011-04-28

When are we expecting the delivery Huh

- ronie - 2011-04-28

Toki Wrote:When are we expecting the delivery Huh

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=772722#post772722

- blacklist - 2011-04-30

If I could get my job straightened out and even a little bit normalized, we could seriously jump ahead on this. But alas, its not happening. I'm the one holding things up right now, blame me.

- Batemann - 2011-04-30

blacklist Wrote:If I could get my job straightened out and even a little bit normalized, we could seriously jump ahead on this. But alas, its not happening. I'm the one holding things up right now, blame me.

For Shame! What are you thinking, having a real life and all?!? Jeezzz....

- blacklist - 2011-05-01

Batemann Wrote:For Shame! What are you thinking, having a real life and all?!? Jeezzz....

I know, I'm a bad person.