fanart.tv - Request and share ClearLOGO, ClearART and more Fan Artwork / Thumbs - Printable Version
+- XBMC Community Forum (http://forum.xbmc.org)
+-- Forum: Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skin Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Artwork packs (/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+---- Thread: fanart.tv - Request and share ClearLOGO, ClearART and more Fan Artwork / Thumbs (/showthread.php?tid=87577)
- Rad_ - 2010-12-16 23:38
Kode Wrote:1. I can have the number link through to the relevant section in the backend? Would that work for you?
1. Yeah, that would be an improvement. It just feels like a disconnect. There's a lot of data presented on the front end, but all the action takes place in the backend. And there's no way to go back and forth.... A common workflow for me hitting your site:
* Page loads. Check requests section under the two most recent logos. Lots of info next to the name, roll mouse over all of it twice--no links.
* Click show title, looking for some visual clue about it, wondering if the source material is interesting/possible to extract/recreate.
* Hit show page. Everything is blank. Half a fanart maybe gives me a glimpse at the logo. Nothing else to see, nothing to click.
* Scroll up to Control Panel link.
* Click logos.
* Click Requests.
* Scroll through to find the show again....
Some link to the backend would be much better than manually navigating back there, but I think a call-to-action for shows with missing content would be more helpful overall. If the section is empty, use the space to ask for help or for a submission of source images. If there are source images or links, list them in the empty space with a request to have someone make a logo out of them. Maybe the source image is high res and high contrast, and the logo itself is mostly square angles. "Wow, that would only take me five minutes--I'll do it right now." Click, save, edit, upload, everybody wins.
Or maybe just put it ("current resources?") in line with the request/upload links, and have it pop down when clicked like the other two?
3. Again, this is a trivial request, but I think there is some value in opening up the pending images.
4. I agree with hikaricore about preferring the slide-in content below/beside the logo, but your implementation is very nice and there's nothing wrong with it (except for the fringe minority of people browsing without JS). Although at the very least, I would suggest adding title attributes so there's some reassurance about what the links do before clicking them.
5. I'm an asshole for bringing this up after you've coded it, but I still think the voting system might be worth revisiting....
At the moment, downvoting doesn't do anything productive.
* Say you favor a specific one: voting for that one is a positive way of moving it up the list the same amount as voting against a logo. Doing both is kind of redundant.
* Say there's a problem with a logo: voting it down doesn't do anything unless N other people happen to visit, notice, and then do the same thing.
What about this:
* star/thumbs-up acts as reinforcing your chosen favorite, and tallied votes arrange the line-up
* a "Report this image" link that reveals a small form with radio boxes ("size/scale" "bad crop" "blurry/edginess" "other: ____ ") that puts the image into moderation again? Or maybe a separate moderation queue so that it stays in place until moderated and one griefer can't get it removed from the site?
Minor bug reports that are probably still on your radar:
5. Browsing any show seems to make ClearART the highlighted entry in the topmost nav.
6. "Something here." placeholder text is still in....
7. TV Thumbs == landscape.jpg ? The drop down for uploading has the same info pasted from the logo section. Similarly, Season Thumbs have the ClearART info pasted.
8. Your input sanitizer is killing links when submitting "site" resources: http://thetvdb.com/index.phptabseriesid81759
- Rad_ - 2010-12-16 23:44
hikaricore Wrote:We have set a standard for clearlogos over these last few months and I'll be damned if it's going to go to hell just because people don't feel like doing things properly and we're not going to change the rules just to coddle these people.
Is there a graveyard of rejected logos that people didn't come back to fix? If the primary complaint on some of them was just alignment, but they never bothered to resubmit, couldn't someone fix it for them (they're likely to be lossless pngs anyway)? Slight attribution conflict, but after a certain amount of time it can be assumed the person doesn't care about that, right?
- Kode - 2010-12-17 00:11
mcborzu: you should be able to upload season thumbs / tv thumbs now, let me know if it still doesn't work.
Rad_: hold on i'm gonna read that post slash novel and respond
- KidKiwi - 2010-12-17 00:11
Great work on the additions to the site - it's really coming together. Love the google link to images and the TVDB link. Pending images is great to.
I'd like to be able to see other peoples pending images as well - as sometimes there are so many different possibilities. This also relates to my comment below about
What do you think about the ability to "Take Responsibility" for an image? At this point there is no way to know if someone else is doing the same logo. I've been caught several times - go to submit a logo, only to find someone else has just submitted one. If each creator could accept an image to create and that action removes it from the queue, along with the ability to add it again (make this a fixed period of time - just in case the creator doesn't get it done). Also, allow the creator the ability to put it back in queue if something in their life changes (or the image is too tough!).
- Kode - 2010-12-17 00:29
Rad_ Wrote:1. Yeah, that would be an improvement. It just feels like a disconnect. There's a lot of data presented on the front end, but all the action takes place in the backend. And there's no way to go back and forth.... A common workflow for me hitting your site:
1) Some good ideas there, I'll have a think about how to implement.
3) I suppose it wont hurt to be able to see pending requests, but I'm not sure if we will be overloading people with things they don't really want to see.
4) It was very quickly put together, if someone wants to mock up something better I'm happy to implement.
5) Yeah, the original idea was to have each section have a different highlight colour, and have the box areas have a similar tint to the highlights, but I'm trying to get functionality sorted out first.
6) Still not sure what I'm actually going to put there, maybe the show description, but doubt anyone will care for the show description, any ideas for content here, I'm all ears.
7) I'm not sure what you mean by TV Thumbs == landscape.jpg ? I actually need someone to come up with some text for the various sections.
8) That should have been fixed a while ago? the reg expression is now ereg_replace("[^a-zA-Z0-9:/?=&. ]
Anyway, thanks for the great constructive criticism
- Kode - 2010-12-17 00:42
KidKiwi Wrote:Great work on the additions to the site - it's really coming together. Love the google link to images and the TVDB link. Pending images is great to.
There isn't a limit on images, if someone else has created a logo, that shouldn't stop you from adding one as well, don't want your effort to go to waste.
I do understand the request though. If enough people think this is a good idea I'll implement it, it's probably a bit complicated to implement if noone else wants it, there are plenty of things that still need doing.
- hikaricore - 2010-12-17 01:06
I'll throw together text for the guidelines and such tomorrow after work, it's been a long damn week. >.>
- hikaricore - 2010-12-17 01:35
Quote:Updated ClearArt Rules
Input welcome, if you think I missed anything in my tired state.
- YodaEXE - 2010-12-17 02:35
hikaricore Wrote:Input welcome, if you think I missed anything in my tired state.
The only change I would recommend would be this:
Clearart should contain images of character(s) or highly recognizable, major items from the series as well as a recognisable series logo.
My reasoning is for shows such as Knight Rider or Doctor Who, where things like KITT or the TARDIS would work well for ClearART, since they're highly recognizable.
- KidKiwi - 2010-12-17 09:39
Kode Wrote:If enough people think this is a good idea I'll implement it, it's probably a bit complicated to implement if noone else wants it, there are plenty of things that still need doing.
Yeah...plenty to do. Just thought it might be a good idea. Need others to comment though. Ownership makes sense to me - but am I rational??
Can you make the site automatically reject images if they are the wrong size?