Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? (/showthread.php?tid=88518)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- illiac4 - 2011-01-11

How can i install and activate wi-fi usb on linux and ATV?

- kar200 - 2011-01-11

Hi all and thanks for all the help with this. I could not believe when I got Ubuntu running on my ATV. The problem is that the HDD I used was faulty so I had to revert back to the ATV Os for the time being until I fix the bits and pieces (wife and young kids use the ATV daily so any downtime can be costly Smile)

Anyway I could not see this mentioned here but for who is not aware of this you can use this little adapter
http://cgi.ebay.com/44-Pin-IDE-SATA-Motherboard-Converter-7-15-Pin-/280422618408?pt=Motherboards&hash=item414a7d9528#ht_3396wt_905

And then use a SATA HDD with the apple TV. The only issue is the space inside after you use the adapter and I have to unscrew and remove the side bit which was near the fan. The HDD goes flat on the MB and I have been using it this way for at least a year.

Also I followed the other guide to install Sam's image onto the HDD. I booted my Ubntu on my main desktop, plugged the USB and the new HDD, used the dd command as shown, deleted the last partition and recreated a new large one using gparted and realised that it also fixed all the issues with the GPT.

Plugged the new HDD in the ATV and it worked like a charm.

I know Sam is busy with other stuffs at the moment but will his new installer achieve more than what we do manually now? I was wondering just to know if I wait to convert my ATV to linux.

K.

- Metsadah - 2011-01-11

what other guide did you follow? I'm probably going to install sams image since I have some annoying issues with my current crystalbuntu install and sams image works great from usb. Im just not sure what guide to follow for installing it to the hdd...

- ritalin - 2011-01-11

illiac4 Wrote:How can i install and activate wi-fi usb on linux and ATV?
HAHAHA... Wrong thread illiac, go back to the boxee forums and vote on that FTP ticket. Laugh

Here is the thread talking about what you want.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90016&highlight=wifi

- kar200 - 2011-01-11

Metsadah Wrote:what other guide did you follow? I'm probably going to install sams image since I have some annoying issues with my current crystalbuntu install and sams image works great from usb. Im just not sure what guide to follow for installing it to the hdd...

Same guide as Crystalbuntu install. You just need a couple of modifications as the partitions are not the same.

I think there has been some guides on this thread as well about the install. If you still having issues let me know and I will go through it and point out the differences.

K.

- Wikking - 2011-01-12

Hi,

i'm using this image and am very impressed both with speed and stability.

I got my RF-remote control, samba and ambx running and can play 720p without dropped frames.

There are only 2 problems i'm still unable to solve myself.

1. Getting sound in xbmc while not playing a movie over HDMI. (Sound while playing files works fine)

2. Getting random usb-drives (NTFS, yes i am aware of possible problems) to automount. Mounting them manually or via ftab works fine

To solve 2 i found a udev rule that should do exactly what i want. Sadly i wont work as expected (It doesn't recognise the partition label, creates a folder under /media/ but won't mount the partition). I am pretty sure it is because in this image blkid does not have the "-o udev" option as implied by the script.

Code:
#Mount under /media; use partition label if present; ntfs-3g

#Yet another example, this time making use of ntfs-3g read/write drivers for NTFS filesystems:
#File: /etc/udev/rules.d/10-my-media-automount.rules
# vim:enc=utf-8:nu:ai:si:et:ts=4:sw=4:ft=udevrules:
#
# /etc/udev/rules.d/10-my-media-automount.rules

# start at sdb to ignore the system hard drive
KERNEL!="sd[b-z]*", GOTO="my_media_automount_end"
ACTION=="add", PROGRAM!="/sbin/blkid %N", GOTO="my_media_automount_end"

# import some useful filesystem info as variables
IMPORT{program}="/sbin/blkid -o udev -p %N"

# get the label if present, otherwise assign one based on device/partition
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}!="", ENV{dir_name}="%E{ID_FS_LABEL}"
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="", ENV{dir_name}="usbhd-%k"

# create the dir in /media and symlink it to /mnt
ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/mkdir -p '/media/%E{dir_name}'"

# global mount options
ACTION=="add", ENV{mount_options}="relatime"
# filesystem-specific mount options (777/666 dir/file perms for ntfs/vfat)
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="vfat|ntfs", ENV{mount_options}="$env{mount_options},gid=100,dmask=000,fmask=111,utf8"

# automount ntfs filesystems using ntfs-3g driver
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs", RUN+="/bin/mount -t ntfs-3g -o %E{mount_options} /dev/%k '/media/%E{dir_name}'"
# automount all other filesystems
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}!="ntfs", RUN+="/bin/mount -t auto -o %E{mount_options} /dev/%k '/media/%E{dir_name}'"

# clean up after device removal
ACTION=="remove", ENV{dir_name}!="", RUN+="/bin/umount -l '/media/%E{dir_name}'", RUN+="/bin/rmdir '/media/%E{dir_name}'"

# exit
LABEL="my_media_automount_end"

script taken from here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Mount_under_.2Fmedia.3B_use_partition_label_if_present.3B_ntfs-3g

So my questions are:

1. Is it normal that there are no navigation sound in XBMC when using HDMI. And if not, is there a fix?

2. Is there any way of getting this rule working with udev or is there another possibility to mount random external usb-drives according to their partition label?

Regards

- pumkinut - 2011-01-12

For question 1, you most likely need a .asoundrc file placed in your home directory (in this case /root)

Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "plughw:0,3"
}
}
Copy the preceding into a new file called .asoundrc placed within the /root directory. You should get navigation sounds after restarting. This is assuming you've followed the post install part of the wiki and changed your output device to plughw:0,3 in the settings.

As for question 2, not sure, I've not played with external USB drives on the ATV.

- Wikking - 2011-01-13

Thank you pumkinut that easily solved my first issue!

- tegalus - 2011-01-14

Hi, Is it possible to get this build working with the Xbox360 controller?

I don't have a clear line of site to the ATV and need a way of controlling XBMC.

Many thanks

- Wikking - 2011-01-15

tegalus Wrote:Hi, Is it possible to get this build working with the Xbox360 controller?

I don't have a clear line of site to the ATV and need a way of controlling XBMC.

Many thanks

I'm using a cheap x10 rf remote control via lircd for this purpose.

I'm not sure whether or not a Xbox360 controller will work, but it seems that the Xbox360 universal remote will work. But take a look for yourself --> http://lircconfig.commandir.com/lircd.conf/

Hope this helps!

Oh btw: I solved my usb-automount problem. Had to build util-linux-ng (2.18) because i couldn't find it via apt-get. That gave me a the "-o udev" option for blkid. Than I had to modify the udev rule because of syntax errors (not sure why though). It won't unmount the folder correctly though if you replug the same device within one session...which I had to fix by unmounting again before mounting.

Crystalhd crashes XBMC on internal drive - moonwalker - 2011-01-16

Hello all,

I've installed the image to my internal drive.
I also increased my diskspace to the full capacity of 160 GB.
Everything is working fine except crystalhd use.
When playing a movie with crystalhd enabled, XBMC is crashing.
When I disable crystalhd, everything is working fine.
Someone else have the same expierence?
Or do I have to wait for the image that is specially made for use on the internal drive?
I allready tried to reinstall several other crystalhd drivers but always with the same outcome, crashes.
I've installed the image also on a 16 GB thumbdrive without any isues, using all 16 GB. No problems here.

- compcentral - 2011-01-20

Where can I find a link to the latest atv-dharma linux image?

I'm still running a pre-dharma build from march of last year.. eish.

Any updates or ideas when the installer will be operational now that the final dharma release is out?

- brock_gonad - 2011-01-20

compcentral Wrote:Where can I find a link to the latest atv-dharma linux image?

Assuming you're already running Linux on your atv, you can update XBMC and CrystalHD drivers with a few simple commands over SSH.

See here;

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=571919&postcount=671

- bass63 - 2011-01-20

compcentral Wrote:Where can I find a link to the latest atv-dharma linux image?

I suggest you stick with it, actually. Dharma is snappy and got tons of new add-ons, but almost everyone here have noticed performance drop with CrystalHD card. I can play any 1080p file without frame drops on old build, but on new one 1080p is really choppy and sometimes it skips even on 720p. Plus it has a bug when displaying subtitles in 24p mode cause severe frame drops (if subs are that important to you).

I tried to improve situation because i really like Dharma, but with no luck. And nobody from developers seems to care ;( I guess everyone just watching pretty low bitrate 720p files (about 4 GB for a movie) and quite happy with it.

So just try new build for yourself using another USB-drive before switching completely.

- davilla - 2011-01-20

bass63 Wrote:And nobody from developers seems to care ;( I guess everyone just watching pretty low bitrate 720p files (about 4 GB for a movie) and quite happy with it.

Oh, we care. Just not in a position to do anything about it right now.