Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV? (/showthread.php?tid=88518)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- dnguy22 - 2010-12-28

is there a way to switch between hdmi and component output just like we would with audio output ?
Honestly i have absolutely no idea how to do that with this guide: http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay

- pmcd - 2010-12-28

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:But why partition? Just restore with dd and you don't need to partition.

I had to get rid of the partition that came with the flash drive as I thought it had to be gpt formatted to boot an Intel Mac. It came with mbr and some dos stuff.

Are you saying that is why the resizing won't work? When the new image comes up I can just delete all the partitions and use dd. I thought efi had to be there. Hmm ... It works great, other than having to deal with resizing sdb4. I still don't understand why the resize command won't work. Everything is the same except for the EFI thing!

philip

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-12-28

EFI isn't necessary. The Recovery partition is included with the build. A MBR created with gpt sync is also included, so performance is optimal. You can indeed just dd the partitions.

dnguy22 Wrote:is there a way to switch between hdmi and component output just like we would with audio output ?
Honestly i have absolutely no idea how to do that with this guide: http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay

Might do a script later, but it is not highest priority right now. It literally is simple as:

Start ssh session,
Run sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Generic Monitor"
    #Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Generic Video Card"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "Generic Video Card"
    Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "DPI" "100x100"
    Option         "UseEvents" "1"
    Option         "AddARGBVisuals" "1"
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"
    Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
    Option         "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
    Option         "TVStandard" "HD1080p"
    Option         "TVOverScan" "0.80
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "Coolbits" "1"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768" "720x480" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Append with this. Adjusted 480i to 1080p from wiki.

- dnguy22 - 2010-12-28

Great! I learned so much today.
Keep up the good work, guys Big Grin

Good. Keep learning Linux. Fire up a LiveCD or virtual machine and you'll learn a lot more, and fast too.

- pmcd - 2010-12-28

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:EFI isn't necessary. The Recovery partition is included with the build. A MBR created with gpt sync is also included, so performance is optimal. You can indeed just dd the partitions.

Ok, will do. Too bad as it's all really working great. If I do dd the partitions then will the resize command on your image resize sdb3 ( by ssh'ing into it)? I hate to be picky here but shouldn't it work even on my current scheme ( with the efi piece)? Eventually I am going to put it on the internal drive in some form or another so I am trying to get a grip on resizing these linux pieces. Wouldn't gparted live do it?

philip

- dnguy22 - 2010-12-28

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Good. Keep learning Linux. Fire up a LiveCD or virtual machine and you'll learn a lot more, and fast too.

I do have Ubuntu 10 on both of my laptops but i didn't have a chance to mess with it.

- tuckbodi - 2010-12-28

Ran into one thing, but may of been the user fault (me). Trying to access an external attached drive (have tried both a FAT32 & HFS+) and twice now I killed the ATV. But, I may have been a little jumpy clicking into the Video menu before the drive became mounted (saw some lights flickering on both the drive and USB stick when i clicked). The log doesn't say anything and can't find the crashreporter.log. Just wanted to report. I can click into Videos if I wait a bit and lights stop.

Which, BTW, where are these drives being mounted, if they are, or do I need to do something else to see them? I'm just plugging them into the same hub my flash drive is on (after I boot up of course).

pmcd Wrote:Ok, will do. Too bad as it's all really working great. If I do dd the partitions then will the resize command on your image resize sdb3 ( by ssh'ing into it)? I hate to be picky here but shouldn't it work even on my current scheme ( with the efi piece)? Eventually I am going to put it on the internal drive in some form or another so I am trying to get a grip on resizing these linux pieces. Wouldn't gparted live do it?

philip

Ahh. You can't boot and resize from that image, no. The file system needs to be off-line ideally. The tools are also missing: hfs-tools, patched parted, gptsync, etc.

Trust me. HDD install is going to be a piece of cake soon.

I have no idea of OS X at all, but I'll be moving onto learning that soon.

dnguy22 Wrote:I do have Ubuntu 10 on both of my laptops but i didn't have a chance to mess with it.

Get messy lol Smile

tuckbodi Wrote:Ran into one thing, but may of been the user fault (me). Trying to access an external attached drive (have tried both a FAT32 & HFS+) and twice now I killed the ATV. But, I may have been a little jumpy clicking into the Video menu before the drive became mounted (saw some lights flickering on both the drive and USB stick when i clicked). The log doesn't say anything and can't find the crashreporter.log. Just wanted to report. I can click into Videos if I wait a bit and lights stop.

Which, BTW, where are these drives being mounted, if they are, or do I need to do something else to see them? I'm just plugging them into the same hub my flash drive is on (after I boot up of course).

What exactly do you mean by "killed"? (I sound like a lawyer). Do you get this problem if the drives are inserted as Linux is booting up? Perhaps it's a result of plugging them in after the system's loaded.

They don't automatically mount. You can temporarily mount with the mount /dev/sd(l)(i) command where (l) is the drive letter and (i) is partition integer, or you could put it in fstab (/etc/fstab) and easily mount it every time atv starts.

Here's an example:

Code:
/dev/sdc1      /home/atv/TVDrive      ext2      defaults      1 1

Obviously, change ext2 to vfat

Then you need to create the TVDrive directory. As your already in /home/atv -- pwd to check, you don't need to change directory. So just run
Code:
mkdir TVDrive

Hope this helps,

Will probably add to FAQ later.

- tuckbodi - 2010-12-28

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:What exactly do you mean by "killed"? (I sound like a lawyer). Do you get this problem if the drives are inserted as Linux is booting up? Perhaps it's a result of plugging them in after the system's loaded.
Oops, yeah, kinda a rough term there. Actually the screen goes gray/black and the remote gets no response (even thought the light flickers on the ATV). Only way out is to reboot it.

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:They don't automatically mount.
Ahh, okay, I'll give those directions a try. I guess I thought your old image (and Pins) automounted drives. Although I admit I never had to do this before as my drives were networked, but I'm helping a friend out on his setup, and was hoping this was plug & play for his attached drives.

- fistacorpse - 2010-12-28

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:It's Ubuntu. You don't login as root. You use sudo for elevated privileges. atv:atv is the only user/pass combo you need to know.

And it doesn't work for me. Running dhclient eth1 tells me that there is no device on eth1, which makes sense, seeing as there is not two NICs in the aTV.

Sam, do you have the Broadcom HD card? If not, then the aTV will have 2 NICs: the wifi card and the wired ethernet port.

Seems like you've got it working now though, so all good. Big Grin

- rolandb5 - 2010-12-28

bass63 Wrote:Sam, thank you again for your work!

I've managed to get XBMC going of the USB-drive and it handles almost all of my files with minimum frame drops.... ...UNTILL i turn subtitles on! Then it starts to skips even on moderate 720p files (which were played fine on the old image) It is really strange, because I've never seen subtitles to slow down XBMC. Could you suggest any solution?

Had the same issue with previous releases, general xbmc issue or ATV specific?

- Starstream - 2010-12-28

So far so good with the system though there are two query's I have.

There is no audio while navigating XBMC menus, for XBMC Live you could fix this (for Ion systems) by going to /home/xbmc/ folder, creating a .asoundrc file and entering the below into the file
Code:
pcm.!default {type plugslave {pcm "hdmi"}}

There does not appear to be any /home/xbmc folder on the ATV/linux, would the XBMC Live fix work at all ?

Also could jumjum's judder free script be made to work with ATV/linux I managed to install curl and get the automated script going but it throws up a whole bunch of errors as it's obviously intended for XBMC Live. Perhaps it is something jumjum would have to alter himself for Sam's linux build.

- maartenst - 2010-12-28

tuckbodi Wrote:Oops, yeah, kinda a rough term there. Actually the screen goes gray/black and the remote gets no response (even thought the light flickers on the ATV). Only way out is to reboot it.

Ahh, okay, I'll give those directions a try. I guess I thought your old image (and Pins) automounted drives. Although I admit I never had to do this before as my drives were networked, but I'm helping a friend out on his setup, and was hoping this was plug & play for his attached drives.

I have the same kind of crashing when trying to add a SMB share, see my post earlier on in this thread.