Kodi Community Forum
HTPC/NAS Combo - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: HTPC/NAS Combo (/showthread.php?tid=89264)

Pages: 1 2

HTPC/NAS Combo - gain - 2011-01-02

I currently have a Macbook Pro and have been thinking of purchasing a Boxee Box for a while so that I can watch my TV Shows/Movies on my TV instead of my small LCD screen. However, I realized that I do not have a large enough hard drive on my Macbook to justify the cost of a Boxee Box on its own. I would constantly have to delete things. Next, I wanted to buy a WHS box and use that as a server to store videos. The total cost for all of this would be $550 and that would come with 2TB storage as well.

I think I could build something cheaper for the same price as well as only have 1 device instead of two (that would be ideal).

Do you think it would be possible to build something for cheaper within the same price range? I would probably use Ubuntu and was looking at an Atom PC Combo something like this here Atom 330

I am not sure if this is sufficient enough to play 1080p videos as well as copy files via network as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

- bmcclure937 - 2011-01-02

Building your storage directly into the HTPC front-end is not recommended for a couple reasons!

Building a standalone NAS/server and XBMC front-end allows you to keep the HTPC quiet, cool, and low on power consumption (because the TBs worth of disks are not whirring and spinning up in your box)! If you throw all of your storage and other tasks that your server should handle into the XBMC HTPC then the situation will become complicated... IMO.

Build a standalone NAS/server and another box for your HTPC!

- JustinAiken - 2011-01-02

Unraid!!!!

Wink

- vinistois - 2011-01-02

I have to disagree.

I have a htpc/nas that is quiet, low power, and works wonderfully.

I chose a Zotac NM-10 board with 6 sata ports. I loaded it up with 6TB of HDD's. Windows 7 intelligently spins-down the hdd's that aren't in use, so that argument is hogwash. At any given time, there is only the SSD and one HDD being used.

I don't see how it can complicate things, its half the equipment.

Just so you are aware, it is very possible, very efficient, and does everything you are wanting. I run couchpotato, sickbeard, sab, and a few other services on it. In no way do the 'background services' take away from the HTPC experience. It is often downloading, extracting, moving files, all in the background, while we are watching movies/tv, and we don't notice anything until the notification comes up that something new has been added to the library.

Do it!

- gain - 2011-01-02

@vinistois

Do you have a link to the CPU/motherboard combo? I heard rev1 ION is better than the rev2 board. Also the D510 Atom motherboards have a separate ION graphics card. I assume this works better?

Finally, got a nice looking case? Something nicer than the old school horizontal computer cases.

- Labomba - 2011-01-02

vinistois Wrote:I have to disagree.

I chose a Zotac NM-10 board with 6 sata ports. I loaded it up with 6TB of HDD's. Windows 7 intelligently spins-down the hdd's that aren't in use, so that argument is hogwash. At any given time, there is only the SSD and one HDD being used.

Just so you are aware, it is very possible, very efficient, and does everything you are wanting. I run couchpotato, sickbeard, sab, and a few other services on it. In no way do the 'background services' take away from the HTPC experience. It is often downloading, extracting, moving files, all in the background, while we are watching movies/tv, and we don't notice anything until the notification comes up that something new has been added to the library.

Do it!

Do you have 1080p out with this configuration?
I was not aware that a Atom 510 w/ Intel chipset could have so much power and be quiet enough, and using win7, could you please elaborate it?
Thanks

- BigCity - 2011-01-02

clock2113 Wrote:Unraid!!!!

Wink

I sec unraid worked extremely well for me.

- bmcclure937 - 2011-01-02

vinistois Wrote:I have to disagree.

Do it!

I am not saying that it is not possible... so I did not mean to step on your toes. I provided my opinion and recommendation. Rolleyes

Using a NAS/server with XBMC front-ends is also more practical in the long-run if you wish to expand and serve content to multiple rooms. Please do not act like I am stupid for recommending one of the most common configurations (back-end server and front-end client box). If you have a centralized media server then you can delegate all tasks to your server and keep the HTPC machines simply client front-ends.

I would also like to see your hardware specs for your build. If you have multiple disks (all which make noise when being used) in your case then you will need proper cooling and a much larger case than some people would like in their HTPC rack/setup. You claim to be running all of those services, which access your disks, while watching shows. Does the noise ever become a concern? Just curious to hear some feedback.

I like that you are providing an alternate opinion, but no need to act like my recommendation was stupid in the process. Rofl

- vinistois - 2011-01-02

The board I'm using doesn't have ION. I put an HD5450 in it so that it handles all video formats. I got the NM10/b/e or whatever, its the one slightly bigger than mini-itx. It has 6 sata ports, a pcie x16 slot, and a mini-pcie slot for wifi. ION seems a little too weak for my liking, and I find the video quality of the HD5450 blows it out of the water. HDMI audio passthrough will be important for me when I can afford a high end receiver, so that was a consideration as well.

amazing piece of kit if you ask me!

- vinistois - 2011-01-02

just re-read the last post.

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade, its just another option, that's all.

I don't agree with multiplying your hardware, when one machine is more than up to the task, especially with power consumption being as important now as ever.

I have 3 2TB WD green drives. They all live in a Lian-Li slim case, I don't recall the model number, but its very small, slim, sleek, and quiet.

The zotac board and the HD5450 are fanless, so the stock fans that came in the case are plenty to cool them. The system is silent, you have to be within about 2 feet to hear it.

I use my SSD for "incoming", so there is no sound while downloading or extracting files. The Media HDD is only used when the files are being moved to it or watching them. I definitely don't hear the hard drives, but if I have the case open I can hear them spin up and then off after 10 mins. I have one HDD for all our family pictures, which we don't use very often, just for backing up from our different devices (synced using MS synctoy). The 3rd HDD is for our system backups for our other computers.

We use MediaFrontPage as well. Its so great! My wife is able to log into it from her laptop or even from work (I'm hosting it on my web host remotely). She can add shows or movies as she pleases, and they're added to the library by the time she gets home. She loves it! Every couple weeks we go to blockbuster and use the android couchpotato app to scan in some new releases, then head home to watch one.

I looked at using WHS, but its just too much of a PITA, and doesn't seem to offer any advantages for me over Windows 7. I guess data redundancy is the only thing we don't have, but honestly I don't really care if we loose our media (we've watched most of it anyways). Our pictures are stored on 3 different computers, all synced with synctoy, so they are safe. I also upload backups to my webserver every few months in case of a local tragedy.

Anyways, don't want to start an argument here, just offering another configuration option which works very well for me.

- gain - 2011-01-02

BigCity Wrote:I sec unraid worked extremely well for me.

I think Unraid is the preferred OS of a separate NAS. I am considering having only 1 system that can function as both a NAS (backend) and a HTPC (front end)

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-02

A NAS + HTPC combo seems like a great idea, then after six months your hard drives start throwing up weird SMART errors because combining their heat in the same case with the heat of the GPU playing 1080p is a sure fire way to slowly kill them. Been there done that. Either your NAS + HTPC is a little loud (and therefore properly cooled) or you are fooling yourself. SMART never lies- I couldn't even get 7200 RPM drives (which are used to a higher level of heat) to live in that environment.

Now if this is really the goal- a HTPC plus a NAS- the trick is to get a case that CAN be cooled as quiet as possible. That means 120mm fans.

If I had to do it again, after learning of my failures the last two times I did it- I would stick a Mini ITX ION mobo in a big Micro ATX case. That way the heat from the GPU is not right next to the HDs. It would be the best way to do it while being as quiet as possible.

Something like a Silverstone or a Antec HTPC case can easily hold 4 drives and one of those boards. With all the space that will be in the case I think the HDs would survive without any problem. Another option would be to look at what others are doing with that HP Mediaserver - apparently it has enough airflow to not cook everything. Good thread in the forum about this right now.

Honestly though, in the long run, the REAL reason for a separate NAS is that the best NAS software can't double as HTPCs- FreeNAS, Unraid and WHS. A bunch of separate disks is fun until the GPU heat kills one and your data is toast. Once you get used to WHS/Unraid's "add any disk and it can stay protected" model old JBOD looks like an idea straight out of the 80's.

But if a NAS-HTPC monster is to be built, consider mixing Mini ITX boards with Micro ATX cases. I think this is the safest path.

- vinistois - 2011-01-03

ummmm gpu heat from an HD5450? Are you kidding me? The heatsink isn't even luke-warm when playing 1080p.

My gpu, cpu, and all hard drives never break 40 degrees C. There is a total of 3 70mm fans in the case.

Either you have bad luck with Hard drives, or a smoking hot gpu.

My system has been running just fine for several months, and I'm certain it will continue to!

- harryzimm - 2011-01-03

vinistois Wrote:ummmm gpu heat from an HD5450? Are you kidding me? The heatsink isn't even luke-warm when playing 1080p.

My gpu, cpu, and all hard drives never break 40 degrees C. There is a total of 3 70mm fans in the case.

Either you have bad luck with Hard drives, or a smoking hot gpu.

My system has been running just fine for several months, and I'm certain it will continue to!

Congratulations Smile ,I'm glad it works in your current situation. However, i bet that in six months to a year you will have moved on to a separate nas/htpc solution. It is simply the best way to safely organise your media and access it throughout your home, not to mention much easier to maintain and upgrade.

cheers

- JustinAiken - 2011-01-03

And it's better if you want lots of HD movies... those TB's fill up fast!!