Kodi Community Forum
Intel Sandy Bridge CPU integrated GPU? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel Sandy Bridge CPU integrated GPU? (/showthread.php?tid=89376)

Pages: 1 2 3

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU integrated GPU? - bmcclure937 - 2011-01-03

With the second generation of Core processors, it looks like Intel has ramped up the graphics performance. I am wondering if these will be the next best thing in XBMC HTPCs.

Will this functionality be supported in XBMC Live?! I am still thinking the GT430 would be the best best for HDMI bitstreaming of DTS-MA audio and 3D video.

- EuhicS - 2011-01-03

I'm wondering the same, but I think a sandy bridge could really be more interesting than a GT430, at least for its quick sync part ! It could even easily replace my desktop computer (i7 920) for encoding my blu-rays movie !

UEFI motherboard too just for their faster boot.

But almost no software compatible with quick sync actually and even MPC-HC can't actually properly read a video accelerated with a sandy bridge IGP..

So I'll wait a bit more too before make my final decision..

- Marvel - 2011-01-03

I really hope intel cpus with intergrated graphics will replace the ion for the system of choice. The ion is great but I'd love something with a bit more cpu power.

Asrock for example have some lovely little nettops at reasonable prices.

From what I gather the intel open source drivers are getting better all the time, theres even some users using vaapi(intels vdpau) as we speak.

I'd love to hear what the devs thoughts on this subject Big Grin

M.

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-03

Intel's GPU platform:

Intel's internal GPU department is a failure, and thanks to that after-ran PowerVR has them over a barrel. I wouldn't wait for anything special to come from these folks...

- Marvel - 2011-01-04

Wow the internal gpu is that bad eh! O well..

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-04

Only thing worse is Via:

- bmcclure937 - 2011-01-04

haha! Thanks poofy. Was not sure if we could expect any improvements with Sandy Bridge.

You think it would be better off to benefit from the discounted prices the current i3 line will see once Sandy Bridge lands... or would I be best to buy the "latest and greatest" and get an updated 2011 Core CPU for my HTPC?

bmcclure937 Wrote:You think it would be better off to benefit from the discounted prices the current i3 line will see once Sandy Bridge lands... or would I be best to buy the "latest and greatest" and get an updated 2011 Core CPU for my HTPC?

The weakest i3 on the planet is perfect for HTPC use. Not much more power can offer honestly.

The problem with the Core series is that Intel purposefully prevents Nvidia from making chipsets for it. That is why you can't find a single i3 mobo with a Nvidia GPU like you could with 775 tech.

It is almost like Intel KNEW that their GPU offerings would always suck, so instead of competing on merit they used their power to force bundle their crappy GPUs with their CPUs.

The best Core based HTPC is one with a NVidia CPU. In today's market that means build your own or buy the Asrock.

- EuhicS - 2011-01-04

Actually, all reviews I've seen says only good about sandy bridge.
The most complete review is from anandtech : http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i5-2600k-i5-2500k-and-core-i3-2100-tested/7

I linked directly on the page interesting us. Page 8 and 9 are about quick sync and that's very interesting too.

Unfortunately there is still no much info about the futures 35W TDP sandy bridge.

EuhicS Wrote:Actually, all reviews I've seen says only good about sandy bridge.

Well sure. In Windows, using "officially blessed" players, the PowerVR folks have some cool tech. Heck even the Boxee Box shows that Intel's hardware isn't completely useless.

What IS useless is the fact that:

1. On every platform, the Intel drivers suck. The link you just put up was half complaining about problems with the drivers.

2. Linux drivers will NEVER be where Nvidia is today.

3. Intel solutions are as robust (when it comes to decoding) as dedicated options such as the Broadcom card, and frankly that sucks.

The simple fact is that until Intel outright BUYS PowerVR and dedicates real resources in incorporating their technology in their platforms, then Intel's GPUs are nothing more than mirages and Intel's GPU strategy is nothing more than forcing inferior tech down our throats.

Two whole generations from now Intel's GPU will STILL be worse than a GT425 from Nvidia today. I don't even need to know what is coming next to know that- being three generations behind Nvidia is an Intel tradition. So why even mess with that garbage?

- bigdog66 - 2011-01-04

Poofy....

I cant tell if that's a 750 or 760 BMW but I had an old 750il and loved that car...you made my heart sink a little bit with that pic...lol

- bmcclure937 - 2011-01-04

poofyhairguy Wrote:The weakest i3 on the planet is perfect for HTPC use. Not much more power can offer honestly.

The problem with the Core series is that Intel purposefully prevents Nvidia from making chipsets for it. That is why you can't find a single i3 mobo with a Nvidia GPU like you could with 775 tech.

It is almost like Intel KNEW that their GPU offerings would always suck, so instead of competing on merit they used their power to force bundle their crappy GPUs with their CPUs.

The best Core based HTPC is one with a NVidia CPU. In today's market that means build your own or buy the Asrock.

Awesome!! So the only possible benefit (for my purpose running XBMC Live) of a Sandy Bridge Core 2011 CPU might be lower power consumption... at this point!

I totally agree with you on the nVidia GPUs and am planning my XBMC HTPC around a Core i3 530 and GT430 GPU. Let's hope the prices of that hardware drops in the coming months and I can snag it for cheap when March/April rolls around! Laugh

bigdog66 I bet your heart didn't sink nearly as much as mine does when I think about Intel GPUs.

Five years ago they seemed like heros. Riding in, hiring the best Xorg talent, making a big push to be the only open GPU company (long before AMD released specs).

Now here we stand years later and that entire department of Intel is a failure. Intel- the company that literally crushes almost any part of the market it wants to- is relying on a company whose biggest accomplishment to date is making the GPU for the failed Dreamcast.

And the worst part is that instead of admitting that they suck and, I don't know- buy Nvidia?, Intel is using their CPU market power to force these crappy GPUs down everyone's throats.

Meanwhile AMD bought ATI, so soon there will be NO place to buy Nvidia based mobos.

Sad sad days for a hardware nerd who loves a little Linux...

- compcentral - 2011-01-04

Couldn't agree more with poofy.

AMD/nVidia FTW!

- bigdog66 - 2011-01-04

poofyhairguy Wrote:bigdog66 I bet your heart didn't sink nearly as much as mine does when I think about Intel GPUs.

Five years ago they seemed like heros. Riding in, hiring the best Xorg talent, making a big push to be the only open GPU company (long before AMD released specs).

Now here we stand years later and that entire department of Intel is a failure. Intel- the company that literally crushes almost any part of the market it wants to- is relying on a company whose biggest accomplishment to date is making the GPU for the failed Dreamcast.

And the worst part is that instead of admitting that they suck and, I don't know- buy Nvidia?, Intel is using their CPU market power to force these crappy GPUs down everyone's throats.

Meanwhile AMD bought ATI, so soon there will be NO place to buy Nvidia based mobos.

Sad sad days for a hardware nerd who loves a little Linux...

nah im with you there too.....Im sitting on an i3 550 for my next box and it would be great if i didn't need to buy a separate gpu to go with it
but with the nerdness in all of us what are we left with but to spend more money....lol