Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

- Jason102 - 2011-01-26

@bridgman: Excellent, I needed an icon. Obviously, my graphics skills are limited...this is just what I was looking for.

@Sranshaft: I was afraid of something like this. Hmmm. The issue is that the buttons are getting added by the script, so any graphics in the xml will be drawn over. I don't really like the idea of using a group control to specify the location because a skinner wouldn't be able to override the image that's used. Any suggestions?

As for your second question, the time should only be reset when selecting episodes from the EPG if the show is not "currently on". Let's say you're watching channel 1. You open the EPG and select the show in channel 2 that is under the time bar. That show should load and have the same sort of time offset that a channel up would have. If you picked the show an hour ahead of the current one, though, it will reset the time on that show to 0. This seemed to be the most intuitive solution. Do you have another idea?

@ryan03rr: Since the script requires some additional information about a script before it can play, I didn't want to re-read the playlist every time. That means that if a smart playlist is set to be random, it will be randomized once by the script, which will then play that same playlist (even through restarts) until it decides it needs to re-read it.

Yes, I do plan on adding it to the official repo at some point. The biggest (and most difficult) issue that needs to be worked out first, though, is mixed playlists.

- Sranshaft - 2011-01-26

Jason102 Wrote:As for your second question, the time should only be reset when selecting episodes from the EPG if the show is not "currently on". Let's say you're watching channel 1. You open the EPG and select the show in channel 2 that is under the time bar. That show should load and have the same sort of time offset that a channel up would have. If you picked the show an hour ahead of the current one, though, it will reset the time on that show to 0. This seemed to be the most intuitive solution. Do you have another idea?

Selecting shows that are ahead or behind the currently playing show is working fine. It's an issue with selecting 'already airing' shows - shows airing at the same time as the currently playing show. They seem to get reset to 0 though switching channels the normal way (pressing up or down) work as it should.

- Jason102 - 2011-01-26

Ah, so it's not working the way I described...that is an issue. I'll check it out.

- Jason102 - 2011-01-26

So I was doing a bit of research and found something interesting...I need someone else's view on this, perhaps I'm just misunderstanding. My assumption about mixed smart playlists was that it allowed you to combine a smart playlist of the movie-type with one of the tv-show or episode type, creating a single list that contained all of those types of media. Looking around, I only find evidence that I'm completely wrong...that mixing movies and episodes into a single smart playlist isn't supported. It's possible that I'm looking at old information, but I haven't had any luck getting XBMC to actually play any playlist I create like this.

Is this the sort of mixed smart playlist others are using? If you select it inside of XBMC, does it work as expected?

After some additional experimentation, I can't get the inclusion of one smart playlist inside of another to work properly, even if the lists are the same type. Perhaps the ability to specify a playlist inside of another is only meant to include a static list (.m3u). I might need to start parsing these myself in order to get the results that I want...

- bridgman - 2011-01-26

Jason102 Wrote:@bridgman: Excellent, I needed an icon. Obviously, my graphics skills are limited...this is just what I was looking for.
Here are a couple 256x256
one has a background

- norax - 2011-01-27

I've not been able to find any real good documentation on smart playlists… could someone point me in the right direction?

I'm trying to make a smart playlist for a channel for my wife that consists of..

Random Intervention episode
Random Hoarders episode
Random Paranormal State episode
Random Intervention episode
Random Hoarders episode
Random Paranormal State episode
etc

The problem is that I have way more episodes of Hoarders than the other shows which results in a playlist like this…

Hoarders, Hoarders, Hoarders, Intervention, Hoarders, Hoarders, Paranormal State, Hoarders, Hoarders, Hoarders, etc etc

Is there a way to make a playlist that just plays one episode of each show then moves onto the next one?

- Jason102 - 2011-01-27

In theory, you should be able to make a smart playlist that selects random Hoarders episodes with a limit of, say, 50. Then include that playlist in another with the other shows. It won't alternate episodes like you mention, but it should limit the number of those episodes so the distribution is more even. I say "in theory" because I've been having issues with playlists that include other playlists in Dharma. In addition, if it does work properly in XBMC, I can't guarantee it'll work in PseudoTV. I would be interested in the results, though.

- mwkurt - 2011-01-27

Jason,

I haven't been able to get mixed playlists to work in XBMC at all let alone in PseudoTV. I really would like to know what the deal is with mixed playlists. What are they for? How to get them to work?
As far as a playlist inside of another playlist.....as long as they were the same type, i.e. episodes inside of episodes or TVshows inside of TVshows, they have worked for me in XBMC.
I think that since mixed playlists don't work inside of XBMC you may be wasting your time trying to get htme to work inside of PseudoTV. It would be nice if one of the developers would jump into this discussion to give us the skinny on what a mixed playlist is for.
By the way, I really appreciate the work that you and Sranshaft have done with this. Thanks for all of your work!

Mark

- bridgman - 2011-01-27

Maybe the mixed playlist is geared towards the music section only at the moment.

- mcborzu - 2011-01-27

bridgman Wrote:Maybe the mixed playlist is geared towards the music section only at the moment.

Oddly I created a random Movie and a random TV playlist and when I combine them it resulted in outputting Music?? When I view each playlist separately they work fine but combined I got that odd result?

- trifle2 - 2011-01-27

Can someone help me? I am trying to make a playlist (1st time) that plays random episodes of different tv shows, one after another. Say 1 random episode of tvshow1 followed by 1 random episode of tvshow2.. How do I do this?

- mcborzu - 2011-01-27

trifle2 Wrote:Can someone help me? I am trying to make a playlist (1st time) that plays random episodes of different tv shows, one after another. Say 1 random episode of tvshow1 followed by 1 random episode of tvshow2.. How do I do this?

Heres a VIDEO of me creating a smart playlist for HD Videos. Concepts are the same.

Use type-Episodes
I use tvshow and doesnotcontain field and put the number 1, cuz I have no shows that contain the number 1 in their name. Then sort by random. Hard to explain in words but it's easy...

Some skins have a link to playlists on Home under Videos or Movies. If not click Movies then go back 2-3 levels and you'll find the playlist node.

- trifle2 - 2011-01-27

thanks mcborzu! Ok I got it working kind of but now im having the same problem as the guy above. One of the tvshows has more episodes vs the other ones so itll play like 3 or 4 of them before it plays a different show. Huh

- steppedup - 2011-01-27

mwkurt Wrote:Jason,

I haven't been able to get mixed playlists to work in XBMC at all let alone in PseudoTV. I really would like to know what the deal is with mixed playlists. What are they for? How to get them to work?
As far as a playlist inside of another playlist.....as long as they were the same type, i.e. episodes inside of episodes or TVshows inside of TVshows, they have worked for me in XBMC.
I think that since mixed playlists don't work inside of XBMC you may be wasting your time trying to get htme to work inside of PseudoTV. It would be nice if one of the developers would jump into this discussion to give us the skinny on what a mixed playlist is for.
By the way, I really appreciate the work that you and Sranshaft have done with this. Thanks for all of your work!

Mark

Heya Mark - Mixed playlists are for Music and Music videos, I believe.

- GJones - 2011-01-27

trifle2 Wrote:thanks mcborzu! Ok I got it working kind of but now im having the same problem as the guy above. One of the tvshows has more episodes vs the other ones so itll play like 3 or 4 of them before it plays a different show. Huh

If you start out with all of the shows unwatched (or even most), you can sort by episode number. This tends to distribute TV episodes more evenly. Another option is the following setup:

One smart playlist for show A limited to 10 episodes, sorted by last played date
One smart playlist for show B limited to 10 episodes, sorted by last played date

One smart playlist for the channel that includes playlist is the first or playlist is the second, sorted by random.