Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

- keibertz - 2011-12-16

realy nice Addon but it takes a while to start with my 26 configured channels.

It would be perfekt if there were a posibility for Series to watch the next Episode of the Series after the current one if the user wants to Big Grin
And the TV Info should write the Season and Episode number for Series and not only the Episode title

- mwkurt - 2011-12-16

keibertz Wrote:It would be perfekt if there were a posibility for Series to watch the next Episode of the Series after the current one if the user wants to Big Grin

This is already possible. Search the thread.

Mark

- keibertz - 2011-12-16

can u please help me find it ?
if i were able to find it i would not ask ...

The only way i found is the Smartplaylist not with random. But i want random series and episodes on the channel. And only via user entry\action the next episode afte the current one.

- mwkurt - 2011-12-16

keibertz Wrote:can u please help me find it ?
if i were able to find it i would not ask ...

The only way i found is the Smartplaylist not with random. But i want random series and episodes on the channel. And only via user entry\action the next episode afte the current one.

Okay...I'll help you, just this once though Wink

For Genre, make a playlist something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="episodes">
<name>Mystery TV Shows</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="genre" operator="is">Mystery</rule>
<order direction="ascending">random</order>
</smartplaylist>

Select a channel and add the "Custom Playlist"
In this channels "Channel Rules" also select "Play TV Shows in Order".
This will get you what you want. I would also suggest to also add the Channel Rule "Only play unwatched shows". If you don't keep out unwatched shows, when your channel repopulates, it will include shows you have already watched. Basically you will always start at S01E01.
Now..if you are in realtime mode, you will skip episodes as time goes by. To not skip episodes you will want to add these rules to your channel as well " Always keep paused" and "Force Resume". Now, when you are not watching this channel, you will not miss any episodes of your shows.

You can also do the same thing with playlist with particular shows, like this:

<name>Playlist_Z TV</name>
<match>one</match>
<rule field="tvshow" operator="is">Bones</rule>
<rule field="tvshow" operator="is">Burn Notice</rule>
<rule field="tvshow" operator="is">Covert Affairs</rule>
<rule field="tvshow" operator="is">Criminal Minds</rule>
</smartplaylist>

As with the above "Channel Rules", I suggest that you use the same ones.

If you want to maybe include more than one genre in a channel, you could create a playlist, and use that playlist inside of another playlist as follows:

<name>Action_Mystery TV Shows</name>
<match>one</match>
<rule field="genre" operator="is">Action</rule>
<rule field="genre" operator="is">Mystery</rule>
</smartplaylist>

The way this playlist is set up is that it will randomly choose an action show episode or a Mystery show episode. Note the <match></match> tag. If this is set to one, it will randomly select either show. If this tag is set to all, it will select only show episodes that have Action and Mystery in their genre.
Now, lets say this playlist is named: Action_Mystery TV Shows.xsp

You could put that playlist within another playlist to set up your channel, once again as above. The new playlist would look like this:

<smartplaylist type="mixed">
<name>Action_Mystery Channel</name>
<match>one</match>
<rule field="playlist" operator="is">Action_Mystery TV Shows.xsp</rule>
</smartplaylist>

Some things for you to note, some folks, me included, find that making the playlist outside of XBMC using an editor like Notepad++ is easier. Just be sure to put your created playlist in the proper folder. If you have XBMC open when you create your playlist not using XBMC and you put it in the folder, it will not be recognized by XBMC until you close and reopen XBMC.
Other things to note. When you include a playlist inside of a playlist, as in my last example, you need to make sure that the <smartplaylist type="mixed"> is set to "mixed" and not "episodes" or "TV Shows". You also need to include the .xsp extension in the name of the included playlist. However, if you test the channel playlist inside of XBMC with an included playlist, you must remove the .xsp extension for it to work.

Hope this little tutorial helps you out. Any other questions? Just ask!

Mark

Jason...as an aside. Some kind of tutorial should probably be on the first page so that folks can find it easily. There are quite a few questions asked on how to make channels.

- keibertz - 2011-12-16

wow big thx for this fantastic explanation. I will try it and report Big Grin

- RockDawg - 2011-12-16

RockDawg Wrote:Yah but then I lose the studio logo in my skin and I wouldn't want that. I know I could also add 80's to the genre tag and that would solve the problem too, but I don't want to do that either. I don't like having tags with incorrect or extraneous information in them. That all seems like a hack when it's really easy to just manually add the shows to a playlist.

Nice little program you made though. I'm sure many will find it useful.

Never mind. While I've created smart playlists before, I somehow didn't realize that they can do what I'm trying to do here. Thankfully, I figured it out.

- RockDawg - 2011-12-16

Jason102 - I have centralized my my \userdata\playlist\ folder so that all my playlists are shared throughout all my machines and this has been working great for sometime.

My problem is that I just started creating some channels based off smart playlists I've created. This works just fine on the Windows machines, but on the Linux machines, I can setup the channel and pick the custom playlist from a samba location, but when I click OK to create the channel it doesn't show up in the channel list. Am I correct in assuming that it's related to what you said a while back that Samba was broken for Addons in Linux and because of that channel sharing wouldn't work on Linux?

- dsync89 - 2011-12-17

When running this add-on on my MBP 2011, it shows a weird loud click sound (it's like the sound when you tried to playback a badly scratched CD) whenever I tried to switch to another channel. When I check the volume it turned to 0. The loud noise is pretty irritating to hear.

- Ebatte - 2011-12-17

dsync89 Wrote:When running this add-on on my MBP 2011, it shows a weird loud click sound (it's like the sound when you tried to playback a badly scratched CD) whenever I tried to switch to another channel. When I check the volume it turned to 0. The loud noise is pretty irritating to hear.

Same here on macbookpro, but not in windows 7.

- dsync89 - 2011-12-17

So it's the issue of the OS itself then. Can developer make a fix on it?

- Ebatte - 2011-12-17

Lunatixz Wrote:I'm not sure that's possible, I also have HDhomerun... and from my understanding Ptv, and TVtime needs to know the run-time (duration) of the content playing before it can generate channels...

Hopefully Jason102 would have an idea if you can.

I'm guessing you can test it by generating a strm for a movie or tv show, have your xbmc library scan it in, then change the link inside to strm to the hdhomerun strm link... run ptv, maybe it would work? let me know Wink

I wonder how PTV knows the duration. Does it know this because it is scanned into the library? That's curious since I thought the new directory option in PTV allowed for adding files that weren't in the library.

I added my hdhomerun folder containing the .strm files to PTV using the directory option and it doesn't create a channel for those items.

- wyild1 - 2011-12-18

Morning!

I cannot seem to find the answer so i will make a post. First info:

root ~ # uname -a
Linux NESEX 3.1.0 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 25 16:50:47 CEST 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
OpenELEC Version: 1.0.2
XBMC 10.1 Git:e9e9099(Compiled: Oct 25, 2011)

pseudoTv 2.0.0

I dont seem to have any genre or tv networks or studio show up in the channel configuration. The default channels dont work nicely either, stating cannot populate the channels and dont fine anything in the database. I am using a mysql database but this has worked in the past, i have just moved to OpenELEC and redid my whole DB.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers!

- wyild1 - 2011-12-18

Just as a followup, looks like even the options to have the whole show as a channel dont work either. I have set all the channels to none then tested a tv show channel and nothing. Hmmm

- CameronC - 2011-12-18

Jason102 Wrote:CameronC: I just fixed this (hopefully)...try stable-pre.

Been finishing up school and doing holiday traveling etc but I got to update PTV yesterday and its working pretty great. It's becoming a pretty full featured addon, I love this.

Question for anyone: Do you use a podcast program to download video shows for use with PseudoTV? I've used gpodder, I think, in the past, and it was pretty nice but had some issues with it (I think with it not deleting old shows when it should have, or something). Anyone have any suggestions/ideas? The more important thing needed are deleting old episodes after a while.
Edit: I'm on Linux (Ubuntu) but I'm sure answers for other systems could be useful for someone.

- wyild1 - 2011-12-18

wyild1 Wrote:Morning!

I cannot seem to find the answer so i will make a post. First info:

root ~ # uname -a
Linux NESEX 3.1.0 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 25 16:50:47 CEST 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
OpenELEC Version: 1.0.2
XBMC 10.1 Git:e9e9099(Compiled: Oct 25, 2011)

pseudoTv 2.0.0

I dont seem to have any genre or tv networks or studio show up in the channel configuration. The default channels dont work nicely either, stating cannot populate the channels and dont fine anything in the database. I am using a mysql database but this has worked in the past, i have just moved to OpenELEC and redid my whole DB.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers!

Just a follow up to this. Still cannot get the OpenELEC boxes to use pseudotv to create the channels. I installed XBMC dharma on my server where the cerntral DB is stored, created the channels and enabled channel sharing. The other 2 HTPC can play the channels just fine now, but if they try to update the channels, it will delete everything as it cant find them in the DB.

So its a work around, but not ideal as i would have to launch xbmc on my server least once a week to update the channels

Is the version of XBMC installed with OpenELEC to old??

Cheers