Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

- tommymsw - 2012-02-07

Lunatixz Wrote:It doesn't erase your channels, it just creates a new settings2.xml in the directory you setup channel sharing to; take a look in appdata folder you will find your old settings2.xml... if you want to enable channel sharing with your old channels, just copy the settings2.xml to the shared folder.

Ahhh... thank you. However, it seems like people keep saying "point the other systems to the shared folder for the channels in your network" and nobody seems to be saying "There is no option to access smb in the shared channel folder setup".

Am I the only one who can ONLY see local folders?

- TheFonz - 2012-02-07

Lunatixz Wrote:Is your media on a network share? sounds like you should address problems with your setup... Eden beta2 works fine with PTV, except for random crashes when changing channels.

also you are using a BETA, Clean installs of XBMC are always recommended!

Yes my media is networked
Not sure why that should matter with PseduoTV since every media title runs fine. Maybe I need to run a clean database.
I can try a clean install Beta II cleanly and see how we go. Thanks for the reply!

- RockDawg - 2012-02-07

Unless something has changed, channel sharing only works with Windows. Jason102 mentioned a while back that XBMC broke smb access for addons in Linux.

- RockDawg - 2012-02-07

I have some channels setup based on PTV's channel config and some based on smart playlists. All are set to random. One thing I see a lot is the same TV show (but different episodes) played many times in a row. For example, I have one channel that is crime TV shows that includes 8 different shows and is set on random. Many times when I go into the EPG, I'll see 7-8 episodes of Law & Order in a row before another TV show is scheduled. Does anyone have a solution to get more variety? It would be great if you could tell it to never play more than say 2 episodes of the same show in a row.

- FDorsey - 2012-02-07

RockDawg Wrote:I have some channels setup based on PTV's channel config and some based on smart playlists. All are set to random. One thing I see a lot is the same TV show (but different episodes) played many times in a row. For example, I have one channel that is crime TV shows that includes 8 different shows and is set on random. Many times when I go into the EPG, I'll see 7-8 episodes of Law & Order in a row before another TV show is scheduled. Does anyone have a solution to get more variety? It would be great if you could tell it to never play more than say 2 episodes of the same show in a row.

You should interleave the shows together... Just make a few channels of "crime" and set them up to interleave together so it plays one from Channel 200 then one from Channel 199, so on and so forth.. That seems to be the easiest way of doing what you want.

- farr3ll - 2012-02-07

Im struggling to work out how to properly construct smart playlists to include commercials and bumpers (interleaving).. is there a guide to this anywhere or can someone post up a link to their playlists constructed this way. Thanks...

- farr3ll - 2012-02-07

farr3ll Wrote:Im struggling to work out how to properly construct smart playlists to include commercials and bumpers (interleaving).. is there a guide to this anywhere or can someone post up a link to their playlists constructed this way. Thanks...

I found this at mybroadband.co.za/vb/archive/index.php/t-376752.html?

Quote:Create a folder named "Bumpers". Inside that, create a another folder, and name it CBS or whatever.
Add you CBS bumpers in here. Do the same for all your other bumpers.

so you will end up with:

Bumpers
|-BBC
|-CBS
|-FOX
|-FX

On Channel 101, create a channel that uses "Bumpers\CBS".
On Channel 102 = "Bumpers\BBC"
etc, etc

Hide all these channels using the advanced rules.

On your REAL CBS channel, give it a rule to "interleave" with channel 101.

Set the min & max frequency of your bumpers and voila.

(With a min value of 2, and a max of 5, it will put one bumper ever 3,4 or 5 shows)

I usually do this:
First, I interleave an advert, after every video (min = 1, max = 1, start = 1)
Then, I may interleave a second advert, after every 2 videos (min = 2, max = 2, start = 2)
Then, I interleave my Bumpers, after every 3 videos (min = 3, max = 3, start = 3)

The Interleaving rules work from top to bottom, adding and interleaving

However, where is the interleave option in the smart playlist editor? Officially stumped!!!

- Keeper - 2012-02-07

Interleaving options are found in the PseudoTV Options (when you create a channel) - not in the smart playlist.

- RockDawg - 2012-02-07

FDorsey Wrote:You should interleave the shows together... Just make a few channels of "crime" and set them up to interleave together so it plays one from Channel 200 then one from Channel 199, so on and so forth.. That seems to be the easiest way of doing what you want.

Thanks. I'll try that.

- Lunatixz - 2012-02-07

TheFonz Wrote:Yes my media is networked
Not sure why that should matter with PseduoTV since every media title runs fine. Maybe I need to run a clean database.
I can try a clean install Beta II cleanly and see how we go. Thanks for the reply!

Matters because if your media times out (buffers) for a long time...
ptv will crash!

- marktuk - 2012-02-07

Does PseudoTV work on the latest nightlies? I upgraded to use a theme and now PseudoTV no longer works...

EDIT: Nevermind, uninstalled completely, reinstalled and all working fine.

Only thing I'm noticing is a green/yellow flicker at the top & bottom edge of the screen...

Actually things aren't okay... video is really laggy, artifacts all over the screen... This only happens in PseudoTV Sad

- TheFonz - 2012-02-08

Lunatixz Wrote:Matters because if your media times out (buffers) for a long time...
ptv will crash!

Is there a way to increase the buffer time? Why does this happen then? Surely most people have some of their content on a shared network drive?

- GJones - 2012-02-08

TheFonz Wrote:Is there a way to increase the buffer time? Why does this happen then? Surely most people have some of their content on a shared network drive?

All of my content is on a network drive, but a bigger buffer just masks the problem. The core of the problem is that you have insufficient bandwidth between your NAS and your XBMC box (with one possible exception). This normally is because of wireless (which you should never use with a media server) , slow network (10Mbps) or congested network. A better network card (wired) and gigabit switch or router is cheap compared to any other solution. You can often get a cheap gigabit switch for around $40.

In a few cases, the problem is contention for the disk on which the media is stored. There is no free lunch, people. You cannot use a computer at 100% capacity while it serves up media. If you are thrashing the disk (especially due to excessive paging), it will make a lousy server for media.

If the bandwidth you need to keep XBMC displaying a show is greater than the smallest part of the pipe between it and the media, it will always fail. The idea of extra buffer will only cover very short-term drops in bandwidth. Even if you set aside a huge buffer, it would delay the start of the content and consumer the much more expensive memory on the XBMC box. Cost of faster switch < cost of massive memory for XBMC.

Sorry to get on the soapbox, but people often throw out buffering as a solution. It is, but only when you are willing to wait for 50% the duration of your content. For a trailer on youtube, buffering works because some people will wait a minute for a two-minute trailer to start. PseudoTV runs playlists that are, in essence, infinitely long. Who is willing to wait half of infinity to make sure it doesn't run out of buffer?

- Lunatixz - 2012-02-08

I agree with Gjones... increasing your buffer size when you are having problems playing media over your network is a waste of time!

Setup a gigabit lan, and make sure your media server isn't running at 100% CPU Load.

- BEWBTUBE - 2012-02-08

Is this working for Eden Beta 2? I haven't used it since back when I first moved to the eden nightlies, but I loved it and was sad I couldn't use it anymore. I installed it and everything seems to get set up correctly, but when i launch it only seems to load one channel (Action and Adventure) rather than the handful I set up.