Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - Stildawn - 2012-08-02

Hi All

Cheers for the addon its pretty fun.

I just have one question. Is there a way to handle ISO's? Since a lot of my movie collection are ISO's of DVD's. I noticed in PseudoTV when it was "playing" a movie that was an ISO, it was just sitting at the DVD menu?

Is there a setting or away to make it just play the main movie?

Cheers

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - aoaaron - 2012-08-02

i just enabled pseudoTV to automatically background update (i.e.not minimal use) and now my xbmc is constantly freezing. anyf ixes? i want to disable it but i cant because XBMc crashes.

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - Jason102 - 2012-08-02

Keeper: I'm hoping that's what it means. I use my handy range compressor right now, which works great, but I need something for my ATV...hoping this will do the trick.

I've put unicode support into the stable-pre version. No guarantees that it's perfect (although I've never given that guarantee to anyone...ever) but my simple tests leave me hopeful that it now works.

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - zeromancer - 2012-08-03

would be nice to have a button on the apple remote to use for showing up the info what is playing at the moment

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - Quiksmage - 2012-08-03

I don't know how many hours I've been searching, but I can't for the life of me create a station that plays a random episode from a random TV show with no TV show repeats.

Example
TV show a - 1x06
TV show f - 7x16
TV show c - 3x13
TV show a - 3x07
TV show b - 4x12

The main focus and most important element is that the TV show doesn't repeat
IE
TV show a - 11x13
TV show a - 2x12
TV show c - 3x09

What I've tried:

1. base show with interleaving of every other show every 1 episode played.

This ends up with the base show, followed by a random episode from a TV show, followed by the base show, followed by a different show's random episode, etc repeated instead of showing one episode of every interleaved tv show between every single base show episode.

IE it's doing this
Show a - 1x04
Show c - 3x07
Show a - 3x13
Show d - 12x22
Show a - 6x12

2. smart playlist set to episodes with all the shows included

This causes there to be shows repeating quite often because of the volume of total episodes.

I have tried random on the playlist and random on the channel and both on at the same time. None of those options fix the repeats.

3.editing the tvshow.nfo and creating a custom network for use with a channel

This limits me to only using these shows on 1 channel since multiple networks don't work correctly.

4.I tried making a channel where I interleave episodes over a base show and then added a rule to not play the base show.

Didn't work. no channel showed up.

I'm pretty sure there are other scenarios I've tried, but I cannot recall such. Anyone have any ideas?

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - mwkurt - 2012-08-04

(2012-08-03, 22:56)Quiksmage Wrote: I don't know how many hours I've been searching, but I can't for the life of me create a station that plays a random episode from a random TV show with no TV show repeats.

Example
TV show a - 1x06
TV show f - 7x16
TV show c - 3x13
TV show a - 3x07
TV show b - 4x12

The main focus and most important element is that the TV show doesn't repeat
IE
TV show a - 11x13
TV show a - 2x12
TV show c - 3x09

What I've tried:

1. base show with interleaving of every other show every 1 episode played.

This ends up with the base show, followed by a random episode from a TV show, followed by the base show, followed by a different show's random episode, etc repeated instead of showing one episode of every interleaved tv show between every single base show episode.

IE it's doing this
Show a - 1x04
Show c - 3x07
Show a - 3x13
Show d - 12x22
Show a - 6x12

2. smart playlist set to episodes with all the shows included

This causes there to be shows repeating quite often because of the volume of total episodes.

I have tried random on the playlist and random on the channel and both on at the same time. None of those options fix the repeats.

3.editing the tvshow.nfo and creating a custom network for use with a channel

This limits me to only using these shows on 1 channel since multiple networks don't work correctly.

4.I tried making a channel where I interleave episodes over a base show and then added a rule to not play the base show.

Didn't work. no channel showed up.

I'm pretty sure there are other scenarios I've tried, but I cannot recall such. Anyone have any ideas?

What you could possibly do is to go to later seasons of TV shows that are coming up to often for you and mark one or more of their seasons as watched, then use the "only play unwatched episodes" option in the rules. If you make it so all of your shows have about the same number of episodes available to use, they should come out more evenly spaced in the channels. I have tried it as I was getting too many episodes of one or two shows and not enough of others. Seems to work better so far.
When your channel runs out of shows simply go mark a season or two as "unwatched".
Mark

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - Quiksmage - 2012-08-04

I found out the solution to my problem. At least it seems that way.

What I do is this.

create channels with all of the shows you want individually

channel 12 - show a
channel 13 - show b
channel 14 - show c
etc.

set these channels to not play.

Create your channel that you want them all in
Channel 40 - Base show of whatever you want
Interleave all of the previous channels 12,13,14
but make sure to set the interleave as such minimum episodes 2 maximum episodes 2
This makes there always be a buffer at least one other show episode before it randomly gets put in.
I have yet to find any duplicates doing this. If you want a show farther apart you can set it to a larger amount.

the negative of this is that you have too many shows that you want inside of it, it will take up a lot of your total of 200 channels.

Another way I think you can do this is similar to the above, but involving playlists.

Make 3 smart playlists and split up all the tv shows you want interleaved but not repeated between them
IE

playlist 1
shows a-f
playlist 2
g-r
playlist 3 s-z

You then make a channel for each one of these and do the same as I did up above. As long as you don't have the same tv show in more than one of these playlists it should never repeat =D.

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - jackandjohn - 2012-08-06

Oo! oo! I have a question!

Now that the raspberry has 'hardfp' support, and this is carried through in at least 2 XBMC distros, I'm very curious as to whether the script will use the hardware automatically, or if it's something that needs to be done separately.

I'm no programmer, so didn't know there were hardware based floating point processors in the wild, so this might be a big difference across the board...

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - Merc33 - 2012-08-06

I got a ION nvidia small PC runs rather good on Eden 11 rC3. I been using PTV for months and love it! The guide lags and loads kinda slow at times and im not happy no matter which Eden version i used. I did not wish to use Eden 10 or lower because of lack of Eden features that i miss. I have 8 terrabytes running from a USB type PROBOX case housing 4drives at 2 twerra each. All my shows are sorted like ABC,NBC, ABC retro, NBC retro, HDTV docs, regular docs, movietrailer channels, mucis channels, wrestling, i also replicated channels 2-30 exactly like my home TV network in RL. its awesome! The thing is that PTV locks up more often then not. It will just lock up on a channel and freeze between changing channels and freeze on the guide sometimes. It seems totally random at times. I know PTV does not include WMV, or VOB or other file formats and should just SKIP them if it cant be used. It should have file support for WMV i think please. PTV crashes even on my other PCs running the guide using other XBMC versions. Why does it crash? is it because my USB 2.0 server probox likes to freeze ..does PTV just lock up because of lack of throughput of data coming across the networks? Its the best APP and I NEED it working a bit better. its it because i have too many channels? i have maxed out 200 channels and its purely not enough. its been bugging me for ages why it locks up and freezes all the time. My drives are perfectly organized and nothing is bogging down my network. Do I need USB 3.0? Do i need to reduce my channels? Do I need to buy a faster PC instead of ION Zotac? It all seems fine except for the random freezing. The shows just lock up no matter or whenever it feels like. I have 2 gigs of ram in PC. I just not hear of anyones PTV freezing between channels or randomly freezing . I am using Eden Aeonskin MQ2 or 3 but no matter what skin i am on it still freezes when it feels like. on my main PC, my laptop and Quad core Acer. I used many different XBMCs--what is the best XBMC to use with fast moving Guide or whats the best stable release without crashes. No matter if im using Eden 11 or newer or RC2,RC3 or dharma 10.1 . Do i have to many channels or i dont think so is it PTV just locking up between channel changes? ..sorry for ranting on and on. Im trying to paint a picture of crazyness here. ...please help Mark, Jason or others! im a big fan of all this! what version do i need most, what script do i need most, any ideas on it not crashing randomly. Eden never crashes for anything else except PTV whenever it feels like it. Sometimes it works for hours. sometimes it freezes on the channel and keeps playing but just locks up . I have a hotkey I installed to Kill XBMC on command when it crashes or else i need to do full reboot to recover PTV locking up in fullscreen.

please help PTV gods!

Your happy camper Merc33 from Canada

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - mwkurt - 2012-08-06

(2012-08-06, 19:35)Merc33 Wrote: I got a ION nvidia small PC runs rather good on Eden 11 rC3. I been using PTV for months and love it! The guide lags and loads kinda slow at times and im not happy no matter which Eden version i used. I did not wish to use Eden 10 or lower because of lack of Eden features that i miss. I have 8 terrabytes running from a USB type PROBOX case housing 4drives at 2 twerra each. All my shows are sorted like ABC,NBC, ABC retro, NBC retro, HDTV docs, regular docs, movietrailer channels, mucis channels, wrestling, i also replicated channels 2-30 exactly like my home TV network in RL. its awesome! The thing is that PTV locks up more often then not. It will just lock up on a channel and freeze between changing channels and freeze on the guide sometimes. It seems totally random at times. I know PTV does not include WMV, or VOB or other file formats and should just SKIP them if it cant be used. It should have file support for WMV i think please. PTV crashes even on my other PCs running the guide using other XBMC versions. Why does it crash? is it because my USB 2.0 server probox likes to freeze ..does PTV just lock up because of lack of throughput of data coming across the networks? Its the best APP and I NEED it working a bit better. its it because i have too many channels? i have maxed out 200 channels and its purely not enough. its been bugging me for ages why it locks up and freezes all the time. My drives are perfectly organized and nothing is bogging down my network. Do I need USB 3.0? Do i need to reduce my channels? Do I need to buy a faster PC instead of ION Zotac? It all seems fine except for the random freezing. The shows just lock up no matter or whenever it feels like. I have 2 gigs of ram in PC. I just not hear of anyones PTV freezing between channels or randomly freezing . I am using Eden Aeonskin MQ2 or 3 but no matter what skin i am on it still freezes when it feels like. on my main PC, my laptop and Quad core Acer. I used many different XBMCs--what is the best XBMC to use with fast moving Guide or whats the best stable release without crashes. No matter if im using Eden 11 or newer or RC2,RC3 or dharma 10.1 . Do i have to many channels or i dont think so is it PTV just locking up between channel changes? ..sorry for ranting on and on. Im trying to paint a picture of crazyness here. ...please help Mark, Jason or others! im a big fan of all this! what version do i need most, what script do i need most, any ideas on it not crashing randomly. Eden never crashes for anything else except PTV whenever it feels like it. Sometimes it works for hours. sometimes it freezes on the channel and keeps playing but just locks up . I have a hotkey I installed to Kill XBMC on command when it crashes or else i need to do full reboot to recover PTV locking up in fullscreen.

please help PTV gods!

Your happy camper Merc33 from Canada

Hello Merc33 from Canada,

As I have said many times, I am using Dharma and PTV to great satisfaction. The guide is fast and fluid and I rarely have freezups and/or crashes. This makes the wife happy. Although you said at the top of your letter here that you do not want to use anything lower than Eden because you would miss the features, you then go on to ask, at the end, what you should use to get the best experience. Well... I recommend going back to Dharma as that is what I know. However, Jason has recently said that he has implemented some kind of fix for the EPG scrolling slowdown that will only work with the current nightlies that will eventually be Frodo. You may want to try a nightly and PTV, I think the "Latest Developement version". I think that will also give you up to 999 channels.
I would like to know if anyone is using PTV and a Frodo nightly and if the EPG slowness issue has been resolved to where it is usable. So maybe you can tell me if you try it.

Mark

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - jackandjohn - 2012-08-06

(2012-08-06, 20:14)mwkurt Wrote: However, Jason has recently said that he has implemented some kind of fix for the EPG scrolling slowdown that will only work with the current nightlies that will eventually be Frodo. You may want to try a nightly and PTV, I think the "Latest Developement version". I think that will also give you up to 999 channels.
I would like to know if anyone is using PTV and a Frodo nightly and if the EPG slowness issue has been resolved to where it is usable.

I know the fix you're mentioning, and at least for me on the latest nightlies of everything, it does not fix the EPG slowdowns. Infact, it made the guide a bit slower.
This may not translate to Merc33's setup, since I'm using XBMC on a Raspberry Pi with a teeny 850Mhz of cpu cycles.

Essentially, with Eden, they depreciated the way that PTV was using in order to display the guide, and the XBMC devs pointed Jason towards a new function that they built for displaying on top of video. It does not seem tuned for this type of display, however.

Testing, and working together, I know there's a solution that's going to make it a crazy idea /not/ to install PseudoTV

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - Jason102 - 2012-08-07

I tested the Frodo EPG with some success...it's definitely faster than Eden on my Acer Revo. If you actually see a slower guide, there may be an additional memory hit that's causing slowdowns that outway the improvements.

As far as freezing, please provide a debug log. I know people see issues of one type and another, but if I don't see it and I don't have a log than I can't debug.

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - mwkurt - 2012-08-07

(2012-08-06, 21:53)jackandjohn Wrote:
(2012-08-06, 20:14)mwkurt Wrote: However, Jason has recently said that he has implemented some kind of fix for the EPG scrolling slowdown that will only work with the current nightlies that will eventually be Frodo. You may want to try a nightly and PTV, I think the "Latest Developement version". I think that will also give you up to 999 channels.
I would like to know if anyone is using PTV and a Frodo nightly and if the EPG slowness issue has been resolved to where it is usable.

I know the fix you're mentioning, and at least for me on the latest nightlies of everything, it does not fix the EPG slowdowns. Infact, it made the guide a bit slower.
This may not translate to Merc33's setup, since I'm using XBMC on a Raspberry Pi with a teeny 850Mhz of cpu cycles.

Essentially, with Eden, they depreciated the way that PTV was using in order to display the guide, and the XBMC devs pointed Jason towards a new function that they built for displaying on top of video. It does not seem tuned for this type of display, however.

Testing, and working together, I know there's a solution that's going to make it a crazy idea /not/ to install PseudoTV

Thanks for the info. Glad I am still with Dharma. My wife would never go for an EPG that craws.

I wish the devs would simply reinstate whatever it was they deprecated. They have to know that they have @#$%^ up the best plugin for XBMC, IMHO.

Mark

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - Merc33 - 2012-08-07

Thanks for the Quick answers PTV Gods. To a recent followup Answer. Is it easy to Downgrade Eden to Dharama by simple overwrite using the install exe or should I uninstall but also save my profiles then reinstall Dharma. I just don't wish to lose my library setup as it takes hours to reinstall or days if I not backed up my library. I am hoping for simple reinstall overwrite. Also what is the absolute best way to recover your full library? Using the Library export or just Zip up your profiles directory and unzip it later when dharma is installed? I have had many results in backing up libraries but never seemed to be recovering everything.

It is frustrating that XBMC developers don't consider PTV as high priority or at least directly incorporate it into XBMC. It seems like XBMC could support it as it practically functions like PTV in similar ways. Its just a sad fact we have to downgrade to get PTV to work properly. Looking forward to installing Frodo one day but I fear the worst down the line in compatibility. Besides all my ranting PTV should be a standalone APP all together as its way ahead of its time and honestly the Future in replicating full TV. Over the next few days I'll post a full repost of my old PTV suggestions. Also my PTV gods I might hire someone from Toronto who can help to add to this project if I can find a XML genius. Jason I am willing to donate somewhere like $500-$1000 to re-inject this project back to its full potential. I know you are super busy but I see a future in this script and give me a chance to help fund you for 1 month to reinvent this wheel. If PTV remains a slower process until 2013 then I'll consider finding a helper here to commit the progress. Its a bold statement from me but I'll do my best to back any of you all up. Its a sad fact XML looks confusing to me. Imagine the X-prize --theres some real treasure at the end of this project.

You're insane Canadian friend
Mercc33

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC - User 134278 - 2012-08-07

I am getting a weird error when it comes to channel sharing. If I build channels and then enable them in PTV.... I just get a continuous list of one channel. FOX on one system, History on the other. Disable channel sharing.... fixed right away. Any suggestions on a fix for that? Sharing channels between all rooms of my house would be amazing. Thanks!