Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - geebs61 - 2013-06-25

(2013-06-25, 20:53)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 18:29)geebs61 Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 17:48)Lunatixz Wrote: PTV already does a lot but requires manual settings, what your asking is can it be made less involved on the user end... I'm sure one day when PTV starts to get old and gray it will be polished to the point of toggling a few settings...

for now, I don't see why you can't get what you want with some work on your end...
Tips to remember,
It's easier to manipulate media when it's scraped into XBMC's library...
so you might want to create nfo's for your bumpers, ads, etc and name them in a sequential order that would be reminiscent to tv shows ie. s00e00
from there a mix of custom playlists, interleaved channels would give you what you want...

I really don't think you understand what I am trying to achieve at all. And honestly you are coming across as a pompous know-it-all in the way you are responding. Which is moreso humorous because you really don't understand what I am talking about at all. What I am asking doesn't make PTV "less involved", it makes it more intuitive, and adds another customization option to one of the rule sets (by including something that already exists one place, in another). What I am asking is if the "Episode Count" count option that is part of "best-effort scheduling" could also be added to the interleaving options.

I have thousands of bumpers. I am not creating nfo's for all of them, or even some of them to achieve something that I could suggest be an automated process in one of the next releases of the product. I am not sure why you would want to discourage that sort of thing. As it is right now, it is impossible to interleave more than one episode of a show at a time, anywhere. I am simply asking if there can be an option to change that. You're naive if you think that is somehow taking away from PTV as it is now.

WOW!! talk about ungrateful!! I do know what you want to do... I would have to say your the ass in this case! Where do I even start to address why you are wrong...

lets start with Episode count, which is available through smart playlists...
Manually creating NFOS!! weren't computers invented to take repetition tasks and automate them! ever here of a NFO creator? and a bulk renamer!
and interleaving more then one episode of a show is possible if you would think out of the box, which you clearly can't...

I may be pompous at times... maybe even a d#$k but in this case you are waaaaayyy off the mark!

BTW no one is discouraging ideas for features to this addon... but unless you are doing the coding, I don't think you should dictate what features would get priority... which yours doesn't since almost everything you want could be achieved now!

Ungrateful? For what? You pointing me to a previous reply telling me how to do something I already said I knew how to do. Here's the rub. You haven't helped at all. You have just made suggestions that were counter-intuitive to my goals, then acted holier than thou when I tried to explain that what you suggested wasn't what I was looking for. You then criticized my question about functionality that could be added (not asked to you at all, because at this point I could already tell you had little to no authority over the topic at hand). It is really a trivial question, and is a feature I think could be helpful, and beneficial to a lot of people if possible. But to you, this is some sort of egregious request. How dare I suggest a method more elegant for pseudotv users that don't necessarily want to muck around with smart playlist where a simple option in the rules window might achieve the same thing. How dare I.

And clearly, from this:

Quote:lets start with Episode count, which is available through smart playlists...
Manually creating NFOS!! weren't computers invented to take repetition tasks and automate them! ever here of a NFO creator? and a bulk renamer!
and interleaving more then one episode of a show is possible if you would think out of the box, which you clearly can't...

You still have absolutely no idea what my goal is. No, I cannot use smart playlists, interleaving, NFO's(This is such a ridiculous idea. If I were in the same space as you I would slap you in the back of the head for even suggesting it.) to achieve it. I cannot even come close unless there is slight change in how PTV builds channels. I don't think it is such a ridiculous query. If you would stop trying to trip everyone with your e-penis in an attempt to prove you're the go-to guy around here, I might have a shot at talking with someone knowledgeable.

Or at least someone with enough decency to not act like an ass when someone starts talking about stuff that is over their head.

I feel bad for defending you from that other dude at this point.

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - mwkurt - 2013-06-25

(2013-06-25, 21:06)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 20:56)mwkurt Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 13:26)blazin912 Wrote: Jason --

Trying to dig into my own issue and noticed the Globals.py file has changed back and forth a few times.

Latest Master branch does not include "LOCK_LOC" for channel sharing.

Stable-pre release includes "LOCK_LOC" but doesn't seem to share the cache folder as that is never utilized again other than generating the lock file.

SO, that being said, which supports channel sharing? haha, The assumption is that they both do; however, this is my logic:

Master:

Settings Location: null
Share Channels = True
Settings Location: Settings folder from GUI
Channel Location: Settings Location

GUI info passed by assignment after the logic evaluation -- this would seem to work, if of course each instance requires a common cache folder.

Stable-Pre:

Settings Location: User profile
Share channels = True
Lock Location: Settings folder from GUI
Channel Location: Settings location aka User profile

There is no assignment of the Channel Location to the settings folder from GUI if you're channel sharing. If this is required, then it won't work.

Can't seem to find anything in the changelog that indicates why this was changed/if it fixed some other bug.

Let me know, so I can include the appropriate file.

Thanks!

Maybe this is the reason I have been having problems getting channel sharing to work as it used to in previous versions of PTV.

Mark

when I get some time, I'll also take a look...

It would be appreciated if you would.

Along the same lines, Jason, if this is true that Channel Sharing has changed, will it be reverted to the way it worked previously? I find myself having to go through a whole bunch more machinations to get what was there before working, in spite of the best efforts of Lunatixz, who was very helpful in trying to get it working for me.

Mark

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Lunatixz - 2013-06-25

(2013-06-25, 21:15)geebs61 Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 20:53)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 18:29)geebs61 Wrote: I really don't think you understand what I am trying to achieve at all. And honestly you are coming across as a pompous know-it-all in the way you are responding. Which is moreso humorous because you really don't understand what I am talking about at all. What I am asking doesn't make PTV "less involved", it makes it more intuitive, and adds another customization option to one of the rule sets (by including something that already exists one place, in another). What I am asking is if the "Episode Count" count option that is part of "best-effort scheduling" could also be added to the interleaving options.

I have thousands of bumpers. I am not creating nfo's for all of them, or even some of them to achieve something that I could suggest be an automated process in one of the next releases of the product. I am not sure why you would want to discourage that sort of thing. As it is right now, it is impossible to interleave more than one episode of a show at a time, anywhere. I am simply asking if there can be an option to change that. You're naive if you think that is somehow taking away from PTV as it is now.

WOW!! talk about ungrateful!! I do know what you want to do... I would have to say your the ass in this case! Where do I even start to address why you are wrong...

I may be pompous at times... maybe even a d#$k but in this case you are waaaaayyy off the mark!

BTW no one is discouraging ideas for features to this addon... but unless you are doing the coding, I don't think you should dictate what features would get priority... which yours doesn't since almost everything you want could be achieved now!

Ungrateful? For what? You pointing me to a previous reply telling me how to do something I already said I knew how to do. Here's the rub. You haven't helped at all. You have just made suggestions that were counter-intuitive to my goals, then acted holier than thou when I tried to explain that what you suggested wasn't what I was looking for. You then criticized my question about functionality that could be added (not asked to you at all, because at this point I could already tell you had little to no authority over the topic at hand). It is really a trivial question, and is a feature I think could be helpful, and beneficial to a lot of people if possible. But to you, this is some sort of egregious request. How dare I suggest a method more elegant for pseudotv users that don't necessarily want to muck around with smart playlist where a simple option in the rules window might achieve the same thing. How dare I.

And clearly, from this:

Quote:lets start with Episode count, which is available through smart playlists...

You still have absolutely no idea what my goal is. No, I cannot use smart playlists, interleaving, NFO's(This is such a ridiculous idea. If I were in the same space as you I would slap you in the back of the head for even suggesting it.) to achieve it. I cannot even come close unless there is slight change in how PTV builds channels. I don't think it is such a ridiculous query. If you would stop trying to trip everyone with your e-penis in an attempt to prove you're the go-to guy around here, I might have a shot at talking with someone knowledgeable.

Or at least someone with enough decency to not act like an ass when someone starts talking about stuff that is over their head.

LOL, Listen you are over reacting to everything... picking up complexes that don't exist... I wasn't shooting your opinion down... but suggestions don't do squat!! everyone has one!! want to change something go for it... can't? then you depend on the help of others... sure I sent you a link, should have opened your mind to ideas... but you expect a clear cut answer! Just because you want something that isn't a built in feature to PTV, doesn't mean you can't achieve the same effect with minimal work... Which we could have got to if you didn't over react, your acting like a child...? change the way ptv builds channels? ... do you even know how it works? if you did you would know that your format
Code:
Block intro

ShowA-Intro
ShowA-01x01
ShowA-Season1Bumper
ShowA-01x02

ShowB-Intro
ShowB-01x01
ShowB-Season1Bumper
ShowB-01x02

ShowC-Intro
ShowC-01x01
ShowC-Season1Bumper
ShowC-01x02

ShowD-Intro
ShowD-01x01
is possible now with some work... but better then achieve your goal, cry and act like a child... good for you..

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - geebs61 - 2013-06-25

(2013-06-25, 21:35)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 21:15)geebs61 Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 20:53)Lunatixz Wrote: WOW!! talk about ungrateful!! I do know what you want to do... I would have to say your the ass in this case! Where do I even start to address why you are wrong...

And clearly, from this:

LOL, Listen you are over reacting to everything... picking up complexes that don't exist... I wasn't shooting your opinion down... but suggestions don't do squat!! everyone has one!! want to change something go for it... can't? then you depend on the help of others... sure I sent you a link, should have opened your mind to ideas... but you expect a clear cut answer! Just because you want something that isn't a built in feature to PTV, doesn't mean you can't achieve the same effect with minimal work... Which we could have got to if you didn't over react, your acting like a child...? change the way ptv builds channels? ... do you even know how it works? if you did you would know that your format
Code:
Block intro

ShowA-Intro
ShowA-01x01
ShowA-Season1Bumper
ShowA-01x02

ShowB-Intro
ShowB-01x01
ShowB-Season1Bumper
ShowB-01x02

ShowC-Intro
ShowC-01x01
ShowC-Season1Bumper
ShowC-01x02

ShowD-Intro
ShowD-01x01
is possible now with some work... but better then achieve your goal, cry and act like a child... good for you..

Then show me genius. Quit talking like you know the magic trick, and put up the results. It's not like I haven't tried or anything (guess what "episode count" isn't a thing in smart playlists. Are you utterly confused and thinking of playcount?)

I'm acting like a child? I've given clear and cogent responses, reasoned and well explained descriptions, and you insist that this is something that is far less complex than it is. I assume either because you really don't understand what the goal is (even though it is literally right in front of you), or it is more complex than you are capable of understanding. You suggestions are ludicrous. Querying a public forum where the creator reads posts, about the possibility of added functionality on the other hand, is very common. Being confronted by a users like you, that are abrasive, unhelpful, and demeaning however is not common. Really? You accuse me of being a child. After the way you have acted, and the language you have used? Ugh. Listen, kid. I am done talking with you.

I could write the functionality in myself, it's just python. But I thought it might be more prudent to use the forum and ask about it with people that might be more familiar with the source than I.

So, would anyone willing to have an intelligent conversation about my query like to talk. I am looking for anyone who is familiar with scheduling complex channels. Mor complex than anything users whose sole purpose here is to inflate their ego by "answering" as many questions as possible can understand. Quality, not quantity. I want to do much more than interleave a few shows and one folder of bumpers. And adding NFO's to the bumpers is just a waste of time and hard drive space. And one of the most ludicrous ideas I have ever heard.

Remember, I asked if anyone was willing to "brainstorm". Not point at the basic how-to for interleaving, and then instead of conversing any further just insist it can be done over and over without adding anything else of use except name calling when you are told that you aren't helping..

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Lunatixz - 2013-06-25

(2013-06-25, 21:53)geebs61 Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 21:35)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 21:15)geebs61 Wrote: Ungrateful? For what? You pointing me to a previous reply telling me how to do something I already said I knew how to do. Here's the rub. You haven't helped at all. You have just made suggestions that were counter-intuitive to my goals, then acted holier than thou when I tried to explain that what you suggested wasn't what I was looking for. You then criticized my question about functionality that could be added (not asked to you at all, because at this point I could already tell you had little to no authority over the topic at hand). It is really a trivial question, and is a feature I think could be helpful, and beneficial to a lot of people if possible. But to you, this is some sort of egregious request. How dare I suggest a method more elegant for pseudotv users that don't necessarily want to muck around with smart playlist where a simple option in the rules window might achieve the same thing. How dare I.

And clearly, from this:

Code:
Block intro

ShowA-Intro
ShowA-01x01
ShowA-Season1Bumper
ShowA-01x02

ShowB-Intro
ShowB-01x01
ShowB-Season1Bumper
ShowB-01x02

ShowC-Intro
ShowC-01x01
ShowC-Season1Bumper
ShowC-01x02

ShowD-Intro
ShowD-01x01

Then show me genius. Quit talking like you know the magic trick, and put up the results. It's not like I haven't tried or anything (guess what "episode count" isn't a thing in smart playlists. Are you utterly confused and thinking of playcount?)

I'm acting like a child? I've given clear and cogent responses, reasoned and well explained descriptions, and you insist that this is something that is far less complex than it is. I assume either because you really don't understand what the goal is (even though it is literally right in front of you), or it is more complex than you are capable of understanding. You suggestions are ludicrous. Querying a public forum where the creator reads posts, about the possibility of added functionality on the other hand, is very common. Being confronted by a users like you, that are abrasive, unhelpful, and demeaning however is not common. Really? You accuse me of being a child. After the way you have acted, and the language you have used? Ugh. Listen, kid. I am done talking with you.

I could write the functionality in myself, it's just python. But I thought it might be more prudent to use the forum and ask about it with people that might be more familiar with the source than I.

So, would anyone willing to have an intelligent conversation about my query like to talk. I am looking for anyone who is familiar with scheduling complex channels. Mor complex than anything users whose sole purpose here is to inflate their ego by "answering" as many questions as possible can understand. Quality, not quantity. I want to do much more than interleave a few shows and one folder of bumpers. And adding NFO's to the bumpers is just a waste of time and hard drive space. And one of the most ludicrous ideas I have ever heard.

Remember, I asked if anyone was willing to "brainstorm". Not point at the basic how-to for interleaving, and then instead of conversing any further just insist it can be done over and over without adding anything else of use except name calling when you are told that you aren't helping..

Too funny, I have a fork to PTV, studied the coded inside and out, added original functions to the great work started by jason102 and angrycamel...
I would like to consider myself a little above a "user" and more to a contributor but i'm afraid you would over react again and take that as gloating...

Why would I do the work for you after all of this? I would have gone out of my way to help... but don't see the point now. Not really sure why you are over reacting, bad day? too hot out?

if it's only python then the creator would love to see new additions added.. i'm looking forward to seeing your work... since it's so easy and your so skilled...

I will keep my "ludicrous ideas to myself" after all I hate that I even suggested you waste a megabyte or two on a few thousand nfos...

The only thing i'm guilty of is sending you a link, and suggesting that your idea would someday be added to PTV but if you currently want your ideas it could be done with work!! Reflect on that! no fowl words, or attitude (intended) was given to you...

(2013-06-25, 22:07)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 21:53)geebs61 Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 21:35)Lunatixz Wrote: LOL, Listen you are over reacting to everything... picking up complexes that don't exist... I wasn't shooting your opinion down... but suggestions don't do squat!! everyone has one!! want to change something go for it... can't? then you depend on the help of others... sure I sent you a link, should have opened your mind to ideas... but you expect a clear cut answer! Just because you want something that isn't a built in feature to PTV, doesn't mean you can't achieve the same effect with minimal work... Which we could have got to if you didn't over react, your acting like a child...? change the way ptv builds channels? ... do you even know how it works? if you did you would know that your format
Code:
Block intro

ShowA-Intro
ShowA-01x01
ShowA-Season1Bumper
ShowA-01x02

ShowB-Intro
ShowB-01x01
ShowB-Season1Bumper
ShowB-01x02

ShowC-Intro
ShowC-01x01
ShowC-Season1Bumper
ShowC-01x02

ShowD-Intro
ShowD-01x01

Too funny, I have a fork to PTV, studied the coded inside and out, added original functions to the great work started by jason102 and angrycamel...
I would like to consider myself a little above a "user" and more to a contributor but i'm afraid you would over react again and take that as gloating...

Why would I do the work for you after all of this? I would have gone out of my way to help... but don't see the point now. Not really sure why you are over reacting, bad day? too hot out?

if it's only python then the creator would love to see new additions added.. i'm looking forward to seeing your work... since it's so easy and your so skilled...

I will keep my "ludicrous ideas to myself" after all I hate that I even suggested you waste a megabyte or two on a few thousand nfos...

Still dodging any helpful information I see. I'd think that after all that "forking" you've done you'd have a better grasp on how smart playlists and interleaving work. I haven't forked anything yet and even I understand it better than you.

But we'll never know for sure i guess. Evidently my situation is so incredibly simple it doesn't warrant addressing. Just derisive comments from a classless hack on an internet ego-trip.

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - redhalo - 2013-06-25

Lunatixz, I'm not a skilled programmer and not handy making PTV do what all I want it to do, but I don't dare ask a question in a thread you handle because you shit on anyone who wasn't immediately helped by your advice. Reflect on how many people take offence to how you respond to them, is it all of them or more likely is it you?

I get that you want to have a "take it or leave it" attitude. That's your choice, it's just a negative one.

Where is this fork of yours, by the way?

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - blazin912 - 2013-06-26

(2013-06-25, 20:56)mwkurt Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 13:26)blazin912 Wrote: Jason --

Trying to dig into my own issue and noticed the Globals.py file has changed back and forth a few times.

Latest Master branch does not include "LOCK_LOC" for channel sharing.

Stable-pre release includes "LOCK_LOC" but doesn't seem to share the cache folder as that is never utilized again other than generating the lock file.

SO, that being said, which supports channel sharing? haha, The assumption is that they both do; however, this is my logic:

Master:

Settings Location: null
Share Channels = True
Settings Location: Settings folder from GUI
Channel Location: Settings Location

GUI info passed by assignment after the logic evaluation -- this would seem to work, if of course each instance requires a common cache folder.

Stable-Pre:

Settings Location: User profile
Share channels = True
Lock Location: Settings folder from GUI
Channel Location: Settings location aka User profile

There is no assignment of the Channel Location to the settings folder from GUI if you're channel sharing. If this is required, then it won't work.

Can't seem to find anything in the changelog that indicates why this was changed/if it fixed some other bug.

Let me know, so I can include the appropriate file.

Thanks!

Maybe this is the reason I have been having problems getting channel sharing to work as it used to in previous versions of PTV.

Mark

Well, some how the latest stable-pre works. Confirmed tonight. On to the next issue -- wonderful.

Pull up the EPG on my 2nd instance (pulling the channels from the shared location), and it locks up. I've got the web server enabled. Any ideas what else could be causing the lockup?

Lockup was apparently due to not first running a channel rebuild of the media scraped on the slave. Ie with channel sharing on it disabled. Does this mean a rebuild later on, on the master will cause this to lockup on the slave again? Probably. Meta data is apparently not passing well between the instances or something.

Oh well, cross that bridge when i come to it.

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - mwkurt - 2013-06-26

(2013-06-26, 02:09)blazin912 Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 20:56)mwkurt Wrote: Maybe this is the reason I have been having problems getting channel sharing to work as it used to in previous versions of PTV.

Mark

Well, some how the latest stable-pre works. Confirmed tonight. On to the next issue -- wonderful.

Pull up the EPG on my 2nd instance (pulling the channels from the shared location), and it locks up. I've got the web server enabled. Any ideas what else could be causing the lockup?

Lockup was apparently due to not first running a channel rebuild of the media scraped on the slave. Ie with channel sharing on it disabled. Does this mean a rebuild later on, on the master will cause this to lockup on the slave again? Probably. Meta data is apparently not passing well between the instances or something.

So channel sharing is now working again like it used to? Except for your freezing issue? If so, that is great!

Mark

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - RockDawg - 2013-06-26

(2013-06-25, 15:03)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 14:53)RockDawg Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 06:29)Steveb Wrote: @ RockDawg

The addon doesn't provide that information, but you can get the info to display them from the currently playing media.

Have you tried <texture>$INFO[Player.Art(poster)]</texture> ?

That's what I thought initially also, but I have a control with that field and it doesn't work. Additionally, like I said, I inquired about this very issue and Hitcher (who, if you don't know, is an extremely skilled skinner) told me that the addon needs to supply all labels and images to XBMC and I'm assuming he knows what he's talking about. Here is that thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166039
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157452&pid=1373943#pid1373943

Thanks a ton. That fixed it!

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - blazin912 - 2013-06-26

(2013-06-26, 04:34)mwkurt Wrote:
(2013-06-26, 02:09)blazin912 Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 21:06)Lunatixz Wrote: when I get some time, I'll also take a look...

So channel sharing is now working again like it used to? Except for your freezing issue? If so, that is great!

Mark

Don't know how it used to work.. but I've got it working.

My 2 XBMC instances use IP addresses + share names to access media. THIS is key. Lunatixz threw me that hint.

When your PTV builds a playlist file for itself, it uses the location of the media from the database, if you have D:\Movies as your movie dir, then your second instance of XBMC will try to use those playlists and go crazy because D:\Movies\whatever file name will probably not exist.

My server has a static IP so I know my media will always be at a particular IP; however, I don't see why this wouldn't work with host names, as Lunatixz said, but not sure the resolver is 100% as he alluded to.

So take away for channel sharing:

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY CONFIGURED CHANNEL SHARING:
Delete your shared channel directory cache *.m3u (if they exist)

Instance 1:

Static IP
Media should be added by: Static IP\Shared Directory Name\
Enable Shared Channels
Point Shared Channel directory to again a Static IP\Shared directory name\ (don't know if this matters, but once you're using one convention, might as well be consistent)
Delete all of Instance 1's *.m3u files from the userdata\addon_data\ script.pseudotv\cache directory
Launch PTV
Exit PTV

You are now ready for Instance 2:

Dynamic IP is ok here -- good for everything other than the main media server
Follow all media adding/directory naming conventions found in Instance 1 *** More on this
Enable Shared Channels
Delete all instance 2's *.m3us
Launch PTV
Channel Sharing should now be working!

*** I'm not 100% positive, but if you plan to use your 2nd instance ONLY for PTV.. you probably don't need to add/scrape the media at all. This is assuming the metadata is also passed appropriately via channel sharing (which did not seem to be the case in my test last evening).

The playlist files contain both the pointer to the data and metadata for it, so if all you're using is a small set top box PTV player, Title, Description, and Season / Episode data may be enough.

If you're runnning a customized skin and want artwork and banners and yada yada? You may need to scrape local -- I'm new to XBMC not sure if you can point it to a server repository for all that extra stuff.

anyway, if anyone has questions about channel sharing let me know. I've figure it out after serveral hours of messing around and searching the forums with little findings. Would've been nice to stumble upon a post like this and just get it working in 25 mins vs 12 hours.

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - mwkurt - 2013-06-26

(2013-06-26, 12:41)blazin912 Wrote:
(2013-06-26, 04:34)mwkurt Wrote:
(2013-06-26, 02:09)blazin912 Wrote: Well, some how the latest stable-pre works. Confirmed tonight. On to the next issue -- wonderful.

Mark

Don't know how it used to work.. but I've got it working.

My 2 XBMC instances use IP addresses + share names to access media. THIS is key. Lunatixz threw me that hint.

When your PTV builds a playlist file for itself, it uses the location of the media from the database, if you have D:\Movies as your movie dir, then your second instance of XBMC will try to use those playlists and go crazy because D:\Movies\whatever file name will probably not exist.

My server has a static IP so I know my media will always be at a particular IP; however, I don't see why this wouldn't work with host names, as Lunatixz said, but not sure the resolver is 100% as he alluded to.

So take away for channel sharing:

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY CONFIGURED CHANNEL SHARING:
Delete your shared channel directory cache *.m3u (if they exist)

Instance 1:

Static IP
Media should be added by: Static IP\Shared Directory Name\
Enable Shared Channels
Point Shared Channel directory to again a Static IP\Shared directory name\ (don't know if this matters, but once you're using one convention, might as well be consistent)
Delete all of Instance 1's *.m3u files from the userdata\addon_data\ script.pseudotv\cache directory
Launch PTV
Exit PTV

You are now ready for Instance 2:

Dynamic IP is ok here -- good for everything other than the main media server
Follow all media adding/directory naming conventions found in Instance 1 *** More on this
Enable Shared Channels
Delete all instance 2's *.m3us
Launch PTV
Channel Sharing should now be working!

*** I'm not 100% positive, but if you plan to use your 2nd instance ONLY for PTV.. you probably don't need to add/scrape the media at all. This is assuming the metadata is also passed appropriately via channel sharing (which did not seem to be the case in my test last evening).

The playlist files contain both the pointer to the data and metadata for it, so if all you're using is a small set top box PTV player, Title, Description, and Season / Episode data may be enough.

If you're runnning a customized skin and want artwork and banners and yada yada? You may need to scrape local -- I'm new to XBMC not sure if you can point it to a server repository for all that extra stuff.

anyway, if anyone has questions about channel sharing let me know. I've figure it out after serveral hours of messing around and searching the forums with little findings. Would've been nice to stumble upon a post like this and just get it working in 25 mins vs 12 hours.

Thanks for the reply...A couple of questions though, not sure I understand what you mean by this: "Media should be added by: Static IP\Shared Directory Name\"
Currently, all of my machines have static IP addresses. I am using Windows and have my media add using smb. i.e. SERVER\TV Shows
The SERVER being where all of my media is located and sharing to the other 4 pc's located throughout my house.
Are you saying I should make local links on the #1 machine to use? I am a bit cloudy about what I need to do here in terms of my media sharing.

Also, are you by any chance using anything like Dropbox to facilitate the channel sharing?

Thanks,
Mark

If Server is where you media is located.. then each XBMC instance (even if it is on the server) should point to:

192.168.1.14\TV Shows\ (or whatever the static IP of your server is)

I am not using drop box.. I am again just using 192.168.1.14\TV Shows\ as my directory for where the shared channels should be.

Make sense?

I think I have it, I'll know more later, but please don't go away yet. One more question....

How and where do I enter this path using an IP address?

I am not in front of my pc's at the moment, so the "How to" escapes me at the moment.

Thanks,
Mark

Edit: So....I have mapped my Pseudo Share network drive to my local machines thusly: \\192.168.1.6\Pseudo Share

Having done the mapping this way, I can choose to make this my shared folder from within PTV. Is this what you were talking about?

Hey Blazin912, I have tried mapping my shared folder every way I could possibly do and still can't seem to get the sharing working
I have installed the latest development version today.
Tried creating the share the following way: Both "Map Network Drive", and "Add a Network Location", using both the IP of where the shared file is : \\192.168.1.6\PTV Share Folder, and the this way \\Server\PTV Share Folder. Folder has been shared with read/write privileges for everyone.
Deleted all *.m3u files in local PTV folder, Set shared folder to the Server share, started PTV and it started creating channels using the local folder.
Should PTV be putting information into the shared folder? Maybe I am not letting it run long enough? Is there any way you could tell me how to share the folder, maybe that I am not doing?

Edit 3: So now it looks like it is working, partially anyway. While the local PT folder has 23 generated *.m3u files, the settings2.xml, etc., the shared Server folder has but 4 generated *.m3u files and the settings2.xml file (Possibly did not run long enough?). I'll try again tomorrow to see if the total number of m3u files will actually include all of the channels.

Thanks,
Mark

RE: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Jason102 - 2013-06-27

I did change how channel sharing works a bit, but ideally for the best. If it's not working...well...it's not really better. How it works:
The channel data is copied from the share location to the local channel location.
It is determined if it is the only session started that is sharing the channel data.
When exiting, it copies back the data only if it was the only session when starting.

mwkurt: please send me a debug log. I only need startup, wait a minute, shut down.