Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

Weird problem - looking for help - Abe Froman - 2011-03-09

One of the my channels always wants me to "resume at 3:00"

I have tried removing cache, and other settings and it keeps doing that....

- zepfan - 2011-03-09

Abe Froman Wrote:One of the my channels always wants me to "resume at 3:00"

I have tried removing cache, and other settings and it keeps doing that....

You get the option? Or it just starts at 3 min into the program?

- Malexx - 2011-03-09

hi,
i installed your latest script and added my channels,this works well.
Only problem is the script wont stop.
If i press stop the current playing episode stops screen goes back to adddons and it starts to play again a episode.
There is no way for me to stop the script than exit xbmc.
Am i the only one having this?

Edit:Even when using previous menue it asks to stop script,then goes back to addons and play the next episode but not inside the script,its just like it plays all the files in the smartplaylist in a loop.

- zepfan - 2011-03-10

I've never heard that one! Have you tried restarting? Also does the EPG show up all the time too, or only when you press (OK)? It could be a repeating command from LIRC.

EDIT: I've also updated Night (SVN ONLY!) to be more "night-like" .

EPG:

INFO:

My signature always has my latest versions.

- Abe Froman - 2011-03-10

zepfan Wrote:You get the option? Or it just starts at 3 min into the program?

Get the option. Even deleting the playlists, cache etc. it does nothing. Might try uninstall and reinstall next.... I have no idea why it is doing that for that channel....

- Jason102 - 2011-03-10

It looks like I can actually change the way I play the video slightly to avoid this. I'll change it later and you can give it a try.

- jtucker1972 - 2011-03-10

Ryoga79 Wrote:As silly as it sounds, is it possible to create actual Network/Studio based channels? The idea being to create a "virtual NBC, CBS, ABC, HBO", etc. So far the only way i've thought of to potentially do this would be to put my TV into paths based on the network and make playlists by path, but i'm trying to avoid that if at all possible...

This will be possible with the update I am working on. I just have to build out the criteria for the playlists per the same approach @Sranshaft mentioned. I've just been busy getting the coding finished on my preset channel setup.

@jason, I've forked your repo and I am pushing my updates. Basically, I've extended the preset functionality. Instead of the presets being a static 20 channels, they are now created dynamically based on the add-on settings. Users will no longer have to manually rename playlists since they can now just add them to the Custom presets and the script will pull them in. The preset channels are stored in the profile add-on data directory so they won't get wiped on an upgrade.

There is no longer a mix of Channel_X.xsp and preset channels. It is all managed via the add-on configuration.

If I can ever figure out how to get git to push my updates they will be available to pull.

Update: finally figured git out. @jason, let me know how you want to proceed.

- User 55003 - 2011-03-11

My take on the night skin, all credit goes to zepfan for the skin I just tinkered with it Wink

EPG:

INFO:

skin.night

*Update*

- zepfan - 2011-03-11

Steveb Wrote:My take on the night skin, all credit goes to zepfan for the skin I just tinkered with it Wink

EPG:

INFO:

skin.night
Much better than mine!
PS: Nice tv choice. I'm still bummed.

- jtucker1972 - 2011-03-13

Looking for some feedback on the new preset channel functionality I am working with Jason to incorporate.

Currently there are 6 categories of channels.
1. TV Genre
2. TV Networks
3. Movie Genre
4. Movie Studios
5. Mixed
6. Custom 1-25
Custom 26-50

Questions:
1. Do you see a need to have more than 25 custom channels since the first 5 categories cover a lot of the "standard" channels? Custom would just be for specialized channels you would create via the Smart Playlist Editor.
2. Would you see a benefit in having a configuration tab so you could pick the order the channels were built in based on category, e.g. 1st: Custom, 2nd: TV Genre, 3rd: TV Network, 4th: Movie Genre, 5th Movie Studios.

Just curious to get some feedback.

Things are progressing nicely, but there are still some challenges and decisions to be worked out with Jason before we can get the preset channel functionality completely integrated. I appreciate Jason's willingness to work with me in trying to get this done.

- zepfan - 2011-03-13

Picking the order of the channels would be a big plus! I like to group them together. You've figured out networks? How?

Jtucker: I found a bunch of channel icons in an old abandoned skin, I think Hitcher made them. I've uploaded them so you can have them too for your TV networks. Download

New User - dino2436 - 2011-03-13

Hi guys, thought it about time I registered and made my first posting to thank everyone involved in the creation and ongoing development of this amazing plugin.

It has transformed the way I use XBMC and even the kind of content I'm adding to my library (Just bought another 6 seasons of Top Gear just so I can complete my custom channel "Top Gear TV" haha)

I am using a combination of jtucker's channel lists and my own custom channels
1. Would think that 25 custom channels should be enough
2. The ability to group or ungroup tv and movie channels to our own liking would be great, (doing this manually at the moment by renaming channel numbers but it's a fiddle)

One request if I may be so bold....I have made Stand up comedy and Music Concert channels using comedy & music dvds in my library that are scraped as movies but i would love to have either the ability to make an MTV channel (music videos) and/or a set of radio channels using music smart playlists
Is this possible in the future?

- danz0l - 2011-03-13

jtucker1972 Wrote:Looking for some feedback on the new preset channel functionality I am working with Jason to incorporate.

Currently there are 6 categories of channels.
1. TV Genre
2. TV Networks
3. Movie Genre
4. Movie Studios
5. Mixed
6. Custom 1-25
Custom 26-50

Questions:
1. Do you see a need to have more than 25 custom channels since the first 5 categories cover a lot of the "standard" channels? Custom would just be for specialized channels you would create via the Smart Playlist Editor.
2. Would you see a benefit in having a configuration tab so you could pick the order the channels were built in based on category, e.g. 1st: Custom, 2nd: TV Genre, 3rd: TV Network, 4th: Movie Genre, 5th Movie Studios.

Just curious to get some feedback..

I would say its best to leave the custom channels number open. Some peoples needs are different to others. I currently have around 60 channels and building for instance.

The order of the channels would be amazing as would maybe a default category option ? Also the option to disable categories you don't require ?

So amazed you got networks working, cant wait for this.

One thing im unsure of is how the categories play their part. Say i have some shows that are networked on NBC and i want to create a virtual NBC channel, but have scifi movies i want to create in a virtual SCI Movie channel, does this mean i'd have to pick the genre category for the SCIFI movies and the TV Network category for the virtual NBC one ? Or are these just to define the playlists.

What i'd prefer to see is a channel Genre styled option with say
  • Entertainment
  • News & Sport
  • Movies
  • Lifestyle
  • Music
  • Children
  • Special Interest

Then say a network channel could go in say Entertainment alongside say a SCIFI Genre TV channel etc.

Or am i missing the point here ?

Also while your deep in the code, could you maybe look into adding an option for like a cron to refresh the channels at a certain time (regardless of whether pseudo is running or not). This would act more like a live TV network where contents change daily and could be fired to update when users are sleeping. I know it updates daily but you have to wait for that.

Great job cant wait to try the changes and will happily be a beta tester if needed (was looking to stable pre but changes not comitted yet ?).

danz0l Wrote:I would say its best to leave the custom channels number open. Some peoples needs are different to others. I currently have around 60 channels and building for instance.

How many of these 60 or simple episode or movie playlists? e.g. Sci-Fi TV, Sci-Fi Movies, etc. These could be replaced by simply selecting those channels from the presets. If at all possible, I am trying to create the functionality to almost eliminate the need for the user to have to create custom playlists. There will always be some exceptions, but that is why there is a Custom channel tab where you can associate the custom playlist with a channel slot. I posted some screenshots of how this would look earlier in the thread.

danz0l Wrote:The order of the channels would be amazing as would maybe a default category option ? Also the option to disable categories you don't require ?

You will have the option via the add-on settings to enable or disable any channel within the categories. If there are no enabled channels within a category, then no channels would be loaded for that category.

danz0l Wrote:So amazed you got networks working, cant wait for this.

I wouldn't say they are working yet. I have the code finished which builds the complex mixed playlist structure, but Jason and I are still working out how best to incorporate it. It will require some additional modification to support it. It's nothing elegant. I basically built preset lists of which tvshows are associated with which networks based on fancast data and wikipedia.

danz0l Wrote:One thing im unsure of is how the categories play their part. Say i have some shows that are networked on NBC and i want to create a virtual NBC channel, but have scifi movies i want to create in a virtual SCI Movie channel, does this mean i'd have to pick the genre category for the SCIFI movies and the TV Network category for the virtual NBC one ? Or are these just to define the playlists.

You would enable the NBC channel in the TV Networks tab to add the virtual NBC channel.

You would enable the Sci-Fi Movie channel in the Movie Genre tab to add the Sci-Fi Movie channel.

There are over 100 preset channel options you will be able to choose from by enabling or disabling them.

danz0l Wrote:What i'd prefer to see is a channel Genre styled option with say
  • Entertainment
  • News & Sport
  • Movies
  • Lifestyle
  • Music
  • Children
  • Special Interest

Then say a network channel could go in say Entertainment alongside say a SCIFI Genre TV channel etc.

Or am i missing the point here ?

It's tough to pick a channel "grouping" that everyone would prefer. I based this version by how the playlists are created, e.g. genre is ..., firstaired before..., tvshow is ..., studio contains ..., et.al. I will post what the current grouping consist of and see what makes sense. Also from a GUI perspective, there are only so many tabs on the left side of the add-on settings which are visible at one time. I am afraid if I add too many a user will not know that the bottom "hidden" ones are even there. This may cause some confusion as well as the more tabs the more complexity. Trying to find a balance is the art of it.

danz0l Wrote:Also while your deep in the code, could you maybe look into adding an option for like a cron to refresh the channels at a certain time (regardless of whether pseudo is running or not). This would act more like a live TV network where contents change daily and could be fired to update when users are sleeping. I know it updates daily but you have to wait for that.

Great job cant wait to try the changes and will happily be a beta tester if needed (was looking to stable pre but changes not comitted yet ?).

This is something Jason would have to address. I am just working on the functionality to automatically build the playlists based on the preset add-on settings.

zepfan Wrote:Picking the order of the channels would be a big plus! I like to group them together. You've figured out networks? How?

Jtucker: I found a bunch of channel icons in an old abandoned skin, I think Hitcher made them. I've uploaded them so you can have them too for your TV networks. Download

Nothing elegant. I build the network channels by first creating an episode playlist for each tvshow associated with the network and then combining these into a mixed playlist.

You can see the playlist configuration in the PresetChannel.py file in my Git repository. These are untested, so I am sure there are some shows which will need to be tweeked to align with the strTitle value stored in XBMC. Scroll down until you get to readPresetChannelConfig. That is where all the preset channels get setup.

https://github.com/jtucker1972/XBMC-PseudoTV/blob/master/resources/lib/PresetChannel.py