Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

- Sranshaft - 2011-03-14

@Jtucker: Man, if you're hard coding all of the TV shows to get it to work for the network channels (NBC, ABC, Fox...) I don't think that's going to be very productive and is really a lot more work than is really necessary. There are, quite simply, too many shows to do this for and there's always going to be the user that has some obscure show that doesn't fit in with the pre-determined channel list.

I think the best way to go about it, is to open a ticket, get in touch with a developer and have them add it in to XBMC's core playlist filtering. From there, you'd want a JSON call to get all available studios (mostly for TV Shows, this would have limited appeal for movies as there would be too many studios vs. movies per studio to decently fill a channel).

Again, I love the idea behind creating a simpler way to create channels but hard-coding names should always be a last resort. Like I said before, your time would be better spend getting together with a core developer and adding this into the core.

- jtucker1972 - 2011-03-14

danz0l Wrote:Ah yes it does Jason, totally misunderstood the concept and assumed that on the user interface you would have these genres, tv networks etc selectable and drill down into them. Now i understand what your trying to do and yes, fantastic idea.

Going back to what i said though, what do you think about a latter addition including those features ? So we can define a frontend categories list ? I know it would mean extensive updates to the skins though so understand if its not something you have considered.

Here is how I could incorporate the tv show channels. I had a section reserved, just never got around to adding it.

pseudotv-tvshow by jtucker1972, on Flickr

When looking at a cable channel lineup, you typically see something in this order

TV Network Channels
Movie On Demand Channels
Music Channels
Sports On Demand Channels
HD Channels

So from a PseudoTV channel lineup you could have something similar.

TV Network Channels
1 ABC
2 CBS
3 NBC
4 Custom TV Network
5 Custom TV Network
TV Show Channels (TV On Demand)
10 24
11 Star Trek (All)
12 Stargate (All)
13 Doctor Who
14 Custom TV Show
15 Custom TV Show
TV Genre Channels (TV On Demand)
20 Action and Adventure
21 Animation
22 Comedy
23 Custom TV Genre
24 Custom TV Genre
Movie Genre Channels (Movie On Demand)
30 Action Movies
31 Comedy Movies
32 Biography Movies
33 Family Movies
34 Custom Movie Genre
35 Custom Movie Genre
Movie Studio Channels (Movie On Demand)
40 Dreamworks
41 Lucasfilm
42 Pixar
43 Custom Movie Studio
44 Custom Movie Studio
Custom Channels
50 Custom Channel 1
51 Custom Channel 2
52 Custom Channel 3
The Movie channels have the option of being set to a specific resolution.

The above would be setup by setting the Order to
1. TV Networks
2. TV Shows
3. TV Genre
4. Movie Genre
5. Movie Studios
6. Custom

Would something like this work? The cadveat being that Custom may be defaulted to #1 per Jason's current design. So it would look like this

1. TV Networks
2. TV Shows
3. TV Genre
4. Movie Genre
5. Movie Studios

Would give you the following lineup.

Custom Channels
1 Custom Channel 1
2 Custom Channel 2
3 Custom Channel 3
...TV Network Channels
10 ABC
11 CBS
12 NBC
13 Custom TV Network
14 Custom TV Network
TV Show Channels (TV On Demand)
20 24
21 Star Trek (All)
22 Stargate (All)
23 Doctor Who
24 Custom TV Show
25 Custom TV Show
TV Genre Channels (TV On Demand)
30 Action and Adventure
31 Animation
32 Comedy
33 Custom TV Genre
34 Custom TV Genre
Movie Genre Channels (Movie On Demand)
40 Action Movies
41 Comedy Movies
42 Biography Movies
43 Family Movies
44 Custom Movie Genre
45 Custom Movie Genre
Movie Studio Channels (Movie On Demand)
50 Dreamworks
51 Lucasfilm
52 Pixar
53 Custom Movie Studio
54 Custom Movie Studio

The actual channel numbers would be dependent on the number of channels enabled in the add-on settings and the number of custom channels you have defined.

Sranshaft Wrote:@Jtucker: Man, if you're hard coding all of the TV shows to get it to work for the network channels (NBC, ABC, Fox...) I don't think that's going to be very productive and is really a lot more work than is really necessary. There are, quite simply, too many shows to do this for and there's always going to be the user that has some obscure show that doesn't fit in with the pre-determined channel list.

I think the best way to go about it, is to open a ticket, get in touch with a developer and have them add it in to XBMC's core playlist filtering. From there, you'd want a JSON call to get all available studios (mostly for TV Shows, this would have limited appeal for movies as there would be too many studios vs. movies per studio to decently fill a channel).

Again, I love the idea behind creating a simpler way to create channels but hard-coding names should always be a last resort. Like I said before, your time would be better spend getting together with a core developer and adding this into the core.

There is already a ticket opened for it. The earliest would be I believe release 12 which is over a year away. I do understand the limitations, but this is a stop gap measure until the developers add the functionality. I have no control over when that occurs.

- Sranshaft - 2011-03-14

jtucker1972 Wrote:There is already a ticket opened for it. The earliest would be I believe release 12 which is over a year away. I do understand the limitations, but this is a stop gap measure until the developers add the functionality. I have no control over when that occurs.

Damn, that's not good news at all. Shame, what could be one of the key features is getting pushed so far into the future I can kind of understand as the developers are starting work on revamping the database and integrating PVR so there's a lot of stuff to come in Eden. I've been using the the pre 11.0 builds and they are quite nice.

I need to start looking into C++. I come from a C# background but have never had the need to take the plunge. Perhaps I can find the spare time to have a look. I haven't had a look at the source code but fingercrossed it's not as bad as some open source projects I've worked on...I've seen some real messes - too many hands and what not. Laugh

- danz0l - 2011-03-14

Think that going the TVDB way may be a valid option in creating predefined smartlists. Looking over the search engine they have genre and network already incorporated. So just a quick defined list of networks and a scrape through the API (must be source as its what xbmc does) will build a massive amount of smartplaylists quickly

So say instead you have options like this

ABC
CNN
FOX
CBS
BBC
ITV

presented as predifines to the end user. You select one of more of the networks and it scrapes the available shows from TVDB, saving them into a pregenerated playlist.

You could also have another section for genre toggles so

ANIMATION
COMEDY
DOCUMENTARY
etc etc. (using TVDB genres)

So say a user selects FOX and CBS with toggles enabled of COMEDY & ANIMATION, this would automatically parse and generate

FOX COMEDY
FOX ANIMATION
CBS COMEDY
CBS ANIMATION

Can you see where i'm going with this ?

danz0l Wrote:Think that going the TVDB way may be a valid option in creating predefined smartlists. Looking over the search engine they have genre and network already incorporated. So just a quick defined list of networks and a scrape through the API (must be source as its what xbmc does) will build a massive amount of smartplaylists quickly

TheTVDB API only supports querying by tv show, not by studio. This is the only option until such time as the playlist functionality gets updated. There is a smartplaylist update scheduled for release 12, but that would be the soonest and I am not sure if the specific studio issue is even in that scope of work.

- danz0l - 2011-03-14

damn thats a huge shame. Oh well, was worth a thought LOL

If there anyway to get past the 200 search limits ?

- jtucker1972 - 2011-03-15

danz0l Wrote:damn thats a huge shame. Oh well, was worth a thought LOL

If there anyway to get past the 200 search limits ?

If you are referencing TheTVDB, this is not the correct place for that discussion. If you are referring to something related to PseudoTV, please provide more detail. Huh

- Sranshaft - 2011-03-15

@jtucker: It looks like either Jonathon or Montellese might take a look at extending the filtering to studio for tv shows. At least he asked to open a ticket so that's promising. I referred him to the ticket you opened 4 weeks ago about this. If you can, can you CC him and Montellese?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=750739&postcount=5

Custom Channel Not Playing In Order - halloween2311 - 2011-03-15

Greetings,

If I should post this somewhere else just let me know. I discovered this addon today and love it but there are a few shows I would like to watch in episode order without having to leave the Pseudo TV "Feel".

To test this out I created a custom channel that refers back to two smart playlists: One lists my tv shows that I haven't watched in the last four weeks in episode order, the second lists all of my sitcoms. My custom channel now looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="episodes">
<name>Comedy Channel</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="playlist" operator="is">Not Watched</rule>
<rule field="playlist" operator="is">Comedy</rule>
<limit>100</limit>
<order direction="ascending">episode</order>
</smartplaylist>

If I go to the playlist normally (outside of Pseudo) then it gives me show_a1x01, followed by show_b 1x01, etc. Psuedo TV however plays it back like this: show_a1x01, show_a2x01, show_b1x01, show_b2x01, etc.

In other words it is playing the first episode from each of the seasons then changing shows, then playing the second episode from each season.

Any ideas on how I can get it to play in episode order?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

- danz0l - 2011-03-15

jtucker1972 Wrote:If you are referencing TheTVDB, this is not the correct place for that discussion. If you are referring to something related to PseudoTV, please provide more detail. Huh

erm yes, i was trying to use tvdb to create chanels based on network for Pseudo. You can search by network in their advanced search criteria but its limited to 200 results. Just thought it would be a better way than wikipedia 2hich is far from perfect and with TVDB it has the same names convention that would be expected and indexed in xbmc, making your addon to Pseudo more context focused.

Sranshaft Wrote:@jtucker: It looks like either Jonathon or Montellese might take a look at extending the filtering to studio for tv shows. At least he asked to open a ticket so that's promising. I referred him to the ticket you opened 4 weeks ago about this. If you can, can you CC him and Montellese?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=750739&postcount=5

Thanks. Looks like they have already updated the FR ticket I submitted. I will go ahead and plan accordingly.

- Sranshaft - 2011-03-15

jtucker1972 Wrote:Thanks. Looks like they have already updated the FR ticket I submitted. I will go ahead and plan accordingly.

Some more good news! Looks like firnsy has taken this ticket and will be looking into it further. It's slated for inclusion in Eden so fingers crossed. Big Grin

halloween2311 Wrote:Greetings,

If I should post this somewhere else just let me know. I discovered this addon today and love it but there are a few shows I would like to watch in episode order without having to leave the Pseudo TV "Feel".

To test this out I created a custom channel that refers back to two smart playlists: One lists my tv shows that I haven't watched in the last four weeks in episode order, the second lists all of my sitcoms. My custom channel now looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="episodes">
<name>Comedy Channel</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="playlist" operator="is">Not Watched</rule>
<rule field="playlist" operator="is">Comedy</rule>
<limit>100</limit>
<order direction="ascending">episode</order>
</smartplaylist>

If I go to the playlist normally (outside of Pseudo) then it gives me show_a1x01, followed by show_b 1x01, etc. Psuedo TV however plays it back like this: show_a1x01, show_a2x01, show_b1x01, show_b2x01, etc.

In other words it is playing the first episode from each of the seasons then changing shows, then playing the second episode from each season.

Any ideas on how I can get it to play in episode order?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Correct. Episode is the x01 part of the filename.

If you order by first aired, it will sort by the date the episode first aired, so the list episodes will appear in the order they aired in for the current tv channel. You can reference my existing playlist collection at http://tiny.cc/xbmcplaylists

- halloween2311 - 2011-03-15

jtucker1972 Wrote:Correct. Episode is the x01 part of the filename.

If you order by first aired, it will sort by the date the episode first aired, so the list episodes will appear in the order they aired in for the current tv channel. You can reference my existing playlist collection at http://tiny.cc/xbmcplaylists

Thanks for the tip! I will try that out.