Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

- Jason102 - 2011-04-13

You should include it with the skin itself. At that point, the next release of PseudoTV will no longer come with an aeon nox skin. The user will still be able to add their own and override the skin's version, if they choose, but as the skin's creator you will have control over when it is updated.

The code to use a version of the skin built into the skin itself is in place, but I haven't actually tested it. Before releasing a version with the PseudoTV stuff in there, I suggest adding it to your skin, deleting the skin directory inside of PseudoTV, and making sure that things show up as expected.

- pHo - 2011-04-14

Another new user to the script posting to offer thanks. It's a fun idea, and great for those of us who pay silly prices for our cable TV just to moan that 'nothings ever on' !

I like the idea someone posted a few pages back, but possibly got skipped over... using the clearart to do a 'Coming Up Next...' tag in the top right. It's little touches like that that always go a long way in things like this.

In fact, it could even be taken another step further and have network promos between episodes, using random clips (with generic music over the top so not to spoil, as well as meaning you wouldn't need precise cuts) from the next 3 upcoming episodes along with text on the screen. I'm a big fan of realism in things like this, and can't see why it's not possible (the Movie Quiz game does something similar).

Just a few queries... I've grabbed the version from the XBMC repo and am using the default channel set, CBS, NBC, ABC etc. I'm thinking of building up the smart playlists, but the rules outlined on the Wiki page seem a bit limited... are there any others people can use?

Also, could people give some examples of the kind of channel settings they're using as inspiration? I'm thinking of amending it so the NBC, ABC, FOX etc channels are 'syndicated' and only play re-runs of shows that I've flagged as watched, while setting up 'New Airing' channels to show fresh stuff that's been added to my collection. I'm hoping it's smart (or the playlists are smart enough) to realise that if I haven't watched 3x04 then I'm not going to want to see 3x05. Also, I'm not sure if there's a way of the system to distinguish shows I have in archive that are unwatched with brand new episodes that have recently been added.

Maybe in the future customisable time slots might be added to reflect the real life counterparts... ie network TV tends to air family stuff before 8pm or so, then dramas / comedy for an hour or two, then talk shows after those with alternatives on the weekends. Channels like HBO ignore the ratings flags and show films in between original programming etc.

Also while I'm at it: is there a good break down as to who/what PseudoTV and TVTime would be best for and what they can do? I understand they're similar in function but approached with different mindsets. A table breakdown of checkboxes would be great so people know which is best for them.

With a script like this that's essentially in it's 'ground floor' status, there's so much in the way of opportunity. Congratulations and good luck Smile

- Will_S. - 2011-04-15

Jason102 Wrote:The OSD is enabled in the update that's going out today or tomorrow.

hi jason,

thank for the update. I tested around a little bit, but I'm still unable to display season and episode number in video overlay. xbmc label parsings will be ignored. is there a special string to use for showing up episode information?

will;

- Jason102 - 2011-04-15

Will_S. Wrote:I'm still unable to display season and episode number in video overlay

The OSD was added to the newest version, but the display of the season / episode number is not there. That requires several changes that I have yet to incorporate. It is very high on the to-do list, though, and I hope it will be out with the next update.

pHo Wrote:I like the idea someone posted a few pages back, but possibly got skipped over... using the clearart to do a 'Coming Up Next...' tag in the top right.

I like the idea of this too, but implementing it properly is surprisingly difficult. It's another feature on the to-do list, just not very high up.

You also mention several other features that, while they would be great to have, are extremely difficult to put in. Personally, I've always liked the idea of being able to schedule certain shows to have on at a certain time of day (my wife loves watching Jeopardy every night at 7), but I have yet to figure out a reliable way to do this. Every new feature depends on me figuring out how best to actually put it in so that it adds something to the system and doesn't hinder it.

pHo Wrote:is there a good break down as to who/what PseudoTV and TVTime would be best for and what they can do?

TVTime uses PseudoTV as its code base, so it has all of the features that PseudoTV has. jtucker1972 has put in additional channel customization options to the original system. I feel like it is a bit overwhelming and unnecessary for the average user (or at least for my personal use of the system) but it certainly has use for those people that require some added control over their generated channels.

- mwkurt - 2011-04-15

Jason,

I haven't tried what I am going to ask you, rather this would be an inquiry into the possibility. Can PseudoTV/TVTime use music smart playlist the same way that it uses video playlist? If not, is there any chance of that being incorporated?

Thanks,
Mark

- zepfan - 2011-04-15

mwkurt Wrote:Jason,

I haven't tried what I am going to ask you, rather this would be an inquiry into the possibility. Can PseudoTV/TVTime use music smart playlist the same way that it uses video playlist? If not, is there any chance of that being incorporated?

Thanks,
Mark

What exactly do you want to do?

- espengaasemyr - 2011-04-15

First off love this script. Using it every day! only thing is that i can`t see how to move the channel bug. i`m using Aeon MQ 2 and want to move the channelbug from right bottom to right top...

I have tried edited script.pseudotv.TVOverlay.xml but it seems it`S not having any effect.

<control type="image" id="103">
<description>Channel Bug</description>
<posx>1100</posx>
<posy>35</posy>
<width>150</width>
<height>100</height>
Huh

- User 55003 - 2011-04-16

espengaasemyr Wrote:First off love this script. Using it every day! only thing is that i can`t see how to move the channel bug. i`m using Aeon MQ 2 and want to move the channelbug from right bottom to right top...

I have tried edited script.pseudotv.TVOverlay.xml but it seems it`S not having any effect.

<control type="image" id="103">
<description>Channel Bug</description>
<posx>1100</posx>
<posy>35</posy>
<width>150</width>
<height>100</height>
Huh

Are you using the latest ver. of MQ2 (2.7.1) ?
If so the PseudoTV skin is now integrated into the skin and the skin in the script/addon can be deleted. Then try editing the xml files within the main skin's 720p folder if you still need to.

ps. Make sure you have "Always show channel logo" set in addon settings for the Channel bug to be visable. Wink

- espengaasemyr - 2011-04-16

ThanxBig Grin

- imthebrain - 2011-04-16

can you change the skin of pseudo tv...to any of the nice skins created for this addon?

or do you have to use the skin that your currently running for xbmc ie...Aeon mq2
and if it is possible to change the skin of pseudo tv how do you go about doing it...

sorry if its a dumb question...neewwb here

- zepfan - 2011-04-16

imthebrain Wrote:can you change the skin of pseudo tv...to any of the nice skins created for this addon?

or do you have to use the skin that your currently running for xbmc ie...Aeon mq2
and if it is possible to change the skin of pseudo tv how do you go about doing it...

sorry if its a dumb question...neewwb here

You might be able to. If they are in the pseudotv/skins folder. However most fonts are skin dependent, so they will show up small, and it won't look right.

I think MQ2 comes with the skin now, as the Developer has made a skin. If that's the case, I doubt it'll work.

- mwkurt - 2011-04-17

zepfan Wrote:What exactly do you want to do?

Hello zepfan,

I was more or less just wondering if there was any chance of making them work.
On most cable systems nowadays there are numerous music channels. I was just thinking it would be nice if we could have music channels as well as video channels. That way I wouldn't have to switch off PseudoTV/TVTime to play my music playlist. They would all be in one place.

Thanks for looking,
Mark

- TurboMofo - 2011-04-17

This Addon is the reason I use XBMC at all! Great work!

Everything works quite well except I cannot seem to get a custom channel working. I have gone through this entire thread, but with no luck.

I have created a smart playlist using the xbmc gui. I point the channel configuration tool to the smart playlist and then hit OK. I start Pseudo TV, and when I change the channel from 19 to 20 (20 is my custom channel) it just skips completely over channel 20 and goes to 1. I can see that Channel 20 exists in the configuration tool. Perhaps my playlist settings are incorrect?

Would someone mind taking a look? My smart playlist file is below. Thanks in advance!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
<name>Channel_20</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Kids_In_The_Hall/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Mr_Show/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Stella/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/The_Mighty_ Boosh_Complete_Series/Series 1/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/The_Mighty_ Boosh_Complete_Series/Series 2/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/The_Mighty_ Boosh_Complete_Series/Series 3/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/The_State/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Upright_Citizens_Brigade/Season1/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Upright_Citizens_Brigade/Season2/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Strangers_With_Candy/Season1/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Strangers_With_Candy/Season2/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Strangers_With_Candy/Season3/</rule>
<limit>250</limit>
<order direction="ascending">random</order>
</smartplaylist>

- Sranshaft - 2011-04-17

TurboMofo Wrote:This Addon is the reason I use XBMC at all! Great work!

Everything works quite well except I cannot seem to get a custom channel working. I have gone through this entire thread, but with no luck.

I have created a smart playlist using the xbmc gui. I point the channel configuration tool to the smart playlist and then hit OK. I start Pseudo TV, and when I change the channel from 19 to 20 (20 is my custom channel) it just skips completely over channel 20 and goes to 1. I can see that Channel 20 exists in the configuration tool. Perhaps my playlist settings are incorrect?

Would someone mind taking a look? My smart playlist file is below. Thanks in advance!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
<name>Channel_20</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Kids_In_The_Hall/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Mr_Show/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Stella/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/The_Mighty_ Boosh_Complete_Series/Series 1/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/The_Mighty_ Boosh_Complete_Series/Series 2/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/The_Mighty_ Boosh_Complete_Series/Series 3/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/The_State/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Upright_Citizens_Brigade/Season1/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Upright_Citizens_Brigade/Season2/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Strangers_With_Candy/Season1/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Strangers_With_Candy/Season2/</rule>
<rule field="path" operator="is">smb://PAULUBUNTU/2TB/Strangers_With_Candy/Season3/</rule>
<limit>250</limit>
<order direction="ascending">random</order>
</smartplaylist>

It's because you have it matching all. It will only return a video if it matches every rule. You'll want to change it to match one or more.

- TurboMofo - 2011-04-17

Yes, that should be why, thank you. I tried creating a new smart playlist to test it and discovered that TV shows just don't show up at all. I can add movies with no problem, but nothing else it seems. Any ideas? Permissions look good. I can't think of anything else.