Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

- Jason102 - 2011-05-09

Hmm, it looks like there are more issues with my JSON calls. I'll get the newest daily and see if I can reproduce this.

- thesuffering - 2011-05-10

Jason102 Wrote:Hmm, it looks like there are more issues with my JSON calls. I'll get the newest daily and see if I can reproduce this.

fyi, mines running on the 4/19/11 nightly. i can update if needbe i just havent yet because id need to update all the computers in the house, and well im lazy atm

- Jason102 - 2011-05-10

Ok, so I just realized that you're probably not running the stable-pre version of PseudoTV. This is needed for the nightlies. Also worth noting is that JSON calls appear to be very broken in the May 9th build, so you probably shouldn't update until it's fixed.

- thesuffering - 2011-05-10

Jason102 Wrote:Ok, so I just realized that you're probably not running the stable-pre version of PseudoTV. This is needed for the nightlies. Also worth noting is that JSON calls appear to be very broken in the May 9th build, so you probably shouldn't update until it's fixed.

where can i get the stable-pre version of PsuedoTV? Im looking at your repository and only see the one.

edit: im retarded. i found it now. will update and report back. Thanks!
edit2: works now. thanks a lot!

- mwkurt - 2011-05-10

Jason102 Wrote:Yes, you require an existing video library to use this script.

Another version up in stable-pre. This one updates the Night skin (thanks Steveb), adds spanish translation (thanks CyberXaz), and adds background updating.

The background updating is designed to work best with the real-time mode. In "real time" mode, what you see on the EPG will play at the time that's shown. Background updating makes sure you always have at least 5 days worth of information in the future. Basically, the channel information is constantly updated so that it will make sure the EPG is always correct, plus it will change up the playlist, cycle in anything new you've added to the library, etc. Presuming you watch PseudoTV once every 5 days or so, you should never really see the channels spend a long time updating on startup.

So, try it out and see if it works for you. As always, report any bugs that you see. I'm a bit scared there will be some bizarre multithreading bugs, but I haven't seen any on my systems yet so I'm at least hopeful.

Jason,
Hello again! Could you tell me how do we know if we are in "real time" mode? Is there a setting somewhere?
Also...when PseudoTV makes channels automatically (i.e. Network, Genre, etc) are there any parameters included to prevent episodes or movies that have been watched, being included in the generated playlists? Basically, is there a "playcount=0" being included in the playlists. Also, is there anything being done as far as watching episodes in serialized mode for playlists generated by PseudoTV, other than in the "TV Show" settings?
Thanks,
Mark

- Jason102 - 2011-05-10

mwkurt Wrote:Could you tell me how do we know if we are in "real time" mode? Is there a setting somewhere?

This is only in the stable-pre version. It is enabled by default, and is a setting in the addon configuration.

mwkurt Wrote:Also...when PseudoTV makes channels automatically (i.e. Network, Genre, etc) are there any parameters included to prevent episodes or movies that have been watched, being included in the generated playlists?

There is no setting that currently does this. Is this something people want? I've always had a bit of a problem with this setting, myself. The issue is that your playlist can only shrink when using this. After you watch more and more, the available media that meets the requirement of "unwatched" can only become smaller and smaller.

mwkurt Wrote:Also, is there anything being done as far as watching episodes in serialized mode for playlists generated by PseudoTV, other than in the "TV Show" settings?

Not currently. It may be worth clarifying what "serial mode" does. It does 3 things:

- It forces the channel to resume (as opposed to real-time or random mode).
- The show is displayed in air date order.
- Finally, the show is automatically paused when you're not watching that channel so that you don't miss anything.

I'm not sure how this would make sense with other types of channels...I don't feel the need for my movie channels or random tv show channels to automatically pause.

Is it this entire feature you want on something else? Or are you asking for some subset of this feature?

- elecga - 2011-05-10

Hi, I've been trying to get this working on 10.1 but I keep getting "No valid channel data found"

Here is a log http://pastebin.com/cVEDYssX

Is it because my profile folder is on P:\ or do I need to manually configure channels in settings? From what I read it sounds like Psuedotv should autocreate channels/playlists from my library.

Let me know if you need full debug log, thanks.

- Jason102 - 2011-05-10

Huh, there is something very odd going on. You shouldn't need to configure channels, that's not the problem. The issue is that the path to the addon that XBMC is giving seems to be incorrect. I'm honestly not sure how I can fix this since no one else is seeing it. I don't see any bug reports about this...very weird. I...don't really have any answer for you. I'll think about it, and if I come up with something (or someone else encounters this) I'll report back.

- mwkurt - 2011-05-10

Jason102 Wrote:This is only in the stable-pre version. It is enabled by default, and is a setting in the addon configuration.?

So this feature is not in the version that I download and install via zip file into XBMC Dharma 10.1? I have to get his from Git or some such as that?

Jason102 Wrote:There is no setting that currently does this. Is this something people want? I've always had a bit of a problem with this setting, myself. The issue is that your playlist can only shrink when using this. After you watch more and more, the available media that meets the requirement of "unwatched" can only become smaller and smaller.

I would appreciate the setting as I don't care to have episodes of TV shows be shown multiple times on a reload. Granted with big libraries, it probably doesn't happen often that an episode is repeated very, but it could happen. I have no idea how hard it is to implement, but there are really two ways of doing this that would work. One of which will alleviate your concerns of libraries becoming smaller and smaller.
The first of course is the "playcount = 0" setting. If this were implemented, shrinking libraries could be overcome by simply right clicking on whatever show you may want and select "mark as unwatched".
The second way to do something like this would be to use the "lastwatched" "not in the last" rule you could set a number of days before an episode would be available again to be watched. Say you set it for "120 days". Once an episode was watched it could not be loaded again until those 120 days have elapsed. This option would automatically make every episode available again after the elapsed time, thus stopping the "shrinking library" syndrome.

Jason102 Wrote:Not currently. It may be worth clarifying what "serial mode" does. It does 3 things:

- It forces the channel to resume (as opposed to real-time or random mode).
- The show is displayed in air date order.
- Finally, the show is automatically paused when you're not watching that channel so that you don't miss anything.

I'm not sure how this would make sense with other types of channels...I don't feel the need for my movie channels or random tv show channels to automatically pause.

Is it this entire feature you want on something else? Or are you asking for some subset of this feature?

As for this request, it mainly pertains to TV Network channels for me. Take a network like HBO or Showtime. Their shows for the most part are serialized in nature (Deadwood, Band of Brothers, The Wire, Californication, etc.) as are shows from other networks (Lost, Fringe, 24, etc).
I don't know how it work or be implemented but my vision is for a network lineup of shows to all be serialized Seaon 1, Episode 1 through the end of the series. So you would have show1, ep1...show2, ep1...show3, ep1 through the end of each series.
Something similar to this can be done now by using the "by file" rule and ascending. However it has shortcomings in that if one series only has 12 episodes and another series has 24 episodes, once they get to episode 13, the series with 24 episodes will finish it's season before any more of the other series episodes are shown. So we would have each series alternate episodes until episode 13. Then you would get 12 episodes in a row of the series with 24 episodes.
I would think it to be a great feature if it could be done. I would hope that if so, they would selectable features for those that don't wish to have this.
Anyway....Thanks for your time and the great plugin.

Mark

- Jason102 - 2011-05-10

mwkurt Wrote:So this feature is not in the version that I download and install via zip file into XBMC Dharma 10.1? I have to get his from Git or some such as that?

That's right, it's currently only in the Git version. I'm finishing work on the feature that will maintain your channels in the background. Once I'm satisfied with it, I'll push it all to the mainstream. So if you wait a bit, you'll be auto-updated and get this.

mwkurt Wrote:The second way to do something like this would be to use the "lastwatched" "not in the last" rule you could set a number of days before an episode would be available again to be watched. Say you set it for "120 days". Once an episode was watched it could not be loaded again until those 120 days have elapsed. This option would automatically make every episode available again after the elapsed time, thus stopping the "shrinking library" syndrome.

Ah, I see. I like this better than the "unwatched" flag. The trick would be to figure out how to automatically set this value so it gives the optimum number of not recently watched shows...it would suck to give 120 days and end up with an empty playlist. I'll think about this.

mwkurt Wrote:I don't know how it work or be implemented but my vision is for a network lineup of shows to all be serialized Seaon 1, Episode 1 through the end of the series. So you would have show1, ep1...show2, ep1...show3, ep1 through the end of each series.

My wife has the same request, actually. We have a comedy channel which is just random right now. Whenever Friends comes on, though, she wants them to be shown in order. After the current version is released, I'm going to work on a new feature that may help with this...not exactly the same thing, but it may help. I'll keep everyone posted Smile

- mwkurt - 2011-05-10

Jason102 Wrote:Ah, I see. I like this better than the "unwatched" flag. The trick would be to figure out how to automatically set this value so it gives the optimum number of not recently watched shows...it would suck to give 120 days and end up with an empty playlist. I'll think about this.

If this were to find it's way into the script, couldn't you allow the user to specify a number of days and have that written to a xml file?

Mark

- Jason102 - 2011-05-10

I could...but if I could do it automatically that'd be a lot better. I hate forcing the user to guess as to an appropriate number for this, and then if their viewing habits change the number may need to change. And now that I think about it, if it could be done automatically there'd be no real reason to even have a setting for it, it could just be applied to all channels all the time. If the channel is random anyway, adding this to remove duplicates for as long as possible would essentially always be a good thing.

- elecga - 2011-05-11

Jason102 Wrote:Huh, there is something very odd going on. You shouldn't need to configure channels, that's not the problem. The issue is that the path to the addon that XBMC is giving seems to be incorrect. I'm honestly not sure how I can fix this since no one else is seeing it. I don't see any bug reports about this...very weird. I...don't really have any answer for you. I'll think about it, and if I come up with something (or someone else encounters this) I'll report back.

Thanks for looking into it, I was able to get it working on my laptop and its a great addon! Can't wait to get it working on my htpc.

I did some looking around and I came across this thread from a few years ago http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=202108
I'm not sure if xbmc devs have changed anything since then, if not could this be the problem?

- BEWBTUBE - 2011-05-11

Does the git version of this work with the nightlies at all?

- Jason102 - 2011-05-11

Heh, maybe? It depends on exactly what nightly you're using, your OS, how you access your media, and how much luck you have. It does have modifications to help make it Eden compatible, but the nightlies still have a few bugs and limitations that may or may not prevent things from working.