Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

- BEWBTUBE - 2011-05-11

If grab the already built playlist from my 10.1 install it works fine but when it needs to fill channels on the nightly I'm running into a No valid channel data found error. :o. As far as the other stuff, windows, 5/2/11 I believe, and directly from the drives the media is on H:\ etc.

- Jason102 - 2011-05-12

Version 1.2.0 should be in the official repo as soon as it's pulled. This version adds the option to change where the channels start:

- Real-time is the default. It will act as though PseudoTV didn't stop playing even when it's off. This means that the EPG should show what will be on when you turn it on later. Currently, it will ignore any time-shifting done on a channel. This may be changed depending on user feedback.

- Resume will continue each channel exactly where it was when you last exited PseudoTV.

- Random will start each channel in a random location in the playlist. This is probably most useful for users with smaller libraries so that what is "currently on" is always mixed up.

Note that changing the option doesn't affect a channel in Serial Mode.

This release also adds background updating for channels. It tries to maintain at least 5 days in the future and 1 day in the past so that you can look what will be on a few days from now and (presuming you're using real-time) it will actually be that when you turn it on. Note: I highly suggest turning on the XBMC web server. This feature will use far less processor usage in the background when it's on.

There are also changes so that it should work better (but perhaps not perfectly) with Eden. Thanks go to Sranshaft for figuring out how to get the duration from JSON calls.

- jtucker1972 - 2011-05-12

Does your background updating work for Resume and Random mode or just Real-Time? Would this approach preclude the need to do any channel resets?

- Jason102 - 2011-05-12

It works the same regardless of the mode. Real-time cycles through (cycle: going through the playlist and refilling it) in real-time (of course). Resume will end up cycling very slowly (depending on how often you watch), while random will end up cycling...randomly. Essentially it will always try to have a big gap between what's on and the end of the list.

Using this method the updating at startup should happen very rarely, if ever. If you use real-time and don't watch PseudoTV for a few days then it will have to update at startup.

The "Time between channel resets" value will still be respected, despite this feature. This is useful if you use, for example, the resume method but you update your library often.

- Sranshaft - 2011-05-12

@Jason: Now that you've added in the 'Real-time' mode, it'd be really great to to have a reminder system in place.

Like a normal cable box, see a show you want to see that's on later? Set a reminder and have PseudoTV pop up a dialog when it's on with an option to either watch it or not.

As for time-shift, I'm sure it might be difficult but it'd be something that would really add to the 'watching regular tv' experience. Like Tivo, perhaps a system where if the user pauses or rewinds, PseudoTV will keep track of this time offset and 1. only allow the user to fast forward until it's caught back up with real-time and continue watching or 2. skip forward directly to real time and continue watching.

Just throwing ideas out there. Hopefully one will stick. Wink

- Jason102 - 2011-05-12

Sranshaft Wrote:Now that you've added in the 'Real-time' mode, it'd be really great to to have a reminder system in place.

This may be helpful indeed. My first new priority, though, will be a scheduling system. As I've mentioned before, my wife used to watch Friends at 5:30 every day back when we had cable. I will try and replicate this sort of experience. Ideally, I want a person to be able to schedule a few episodes from one playlist into another on a given weekday and time. That way you can have the random episodes and movies along with structured times, hopefully giving a very authentic tv sort of feel.

Sranshaft Wrote:As for time-shift, I'm sure it might be difficult but it'd be something that would really add to the 'watching regular tv' experience. Like Tivo, perhaps a system where if the user pauses or rewinds, PseudoTV will keep track of this time offset and 1. only allow the user to fast forward until it's caught back up with real-time and continue watching or 2. skip forward directly to real time and continue watching.

I'm not a fan of removing the users ability to fast forward after they are watching the "current" show. I don't want to remove the advantages that have a media library affords a person.

I like the idea of having a sort of "Live TV" button which will jump directly to whatever is supposed to be happening in real time. This would go well with the whole real-time mode plus the future tv show scheduling feature.

- Jason102 - 2011-05-13

This is the first and will be the last time I mention this. I've added a link to the start page for donations, for anyone that wishes to contribute.

- ryan03rr - 2011-05-14

Jason102 Wrote:This is the first and will be the last time I mention this. I've added a link to the start page for donations, for anyone that wishes to contribute.
shouldnt be the last time you mention it.... make it in your sig!. people who are donaters will like easy access to the link.... and non-donaters usually never pay for anything. thanks will be donating soon.!
2c..

- GoofyJeff - 2011-05-15

I might be misunderstanding what you mean by Real Time mode, but I take it to mean that if I start a program at 11 minutes past the hour, it will start the show 11 minutes (or 41) into the show.

Right now on my setup (Dharma with Back Row skin) when I select a show it always starts at the beginningHuh?

ETA: I am using just a wireless keyboard, not a remote (my HTPC isn't capable of remotes yet) and use the enter key to select a program from the EPG when I experience the behavior described

- Jason102 - 2011-05-15

Ah, you misunderstand. Real-time mode just means that the EPG is correct, even between starts of PseudoTV. For example, you start PseudoTV at 9am, open the EPG, and see that the Firefly episode "Out of Gas" starts at noon. You decide to turn off PseudoTV and come back at 11:55. You watch through the last 5 minutes of "Crossroads" (part 2) from Battlestar Galactica. After it's over, Firefly comes on.

In short, real-time mode makes the EPG correct.

- GoofyJeff - 2011-05-16

I see. Any way to (or any future plans) start a program already in progress? That would help with the real live tv feel. :-)

- Jason102 - 2011-05-16

If you select a show from the EPG that is "currently on", as shown by the time bar being over it, it should start that show at the appropriate place in the middle. The same is true if you just do arrow up or down without the EPG. There is a bug I just found where selecting a show that is actually playing will restart that show at some random time. So...don't do that until I fix it :-)

- Ferdnand - 2011-05-16

Need help on how to add a channel that is fro livestreams plugin , this would be cool.... if it can be done already please post a video to it explaing how.. would be nice...

- wimpy - 2011-05-17

Great plugin!

Couple of questions after a few mins of playing around.

1) Is there a way to display season/episode on tv shows in the EPG (and OSD).

2) I tried to add a couple of video playlists, but a couple didn't show up with a name. Just empty channel name. Which prevented it from being added.

3) Is there a way to randomize the content of the imported smartplaylists? I added one and it seems to send everything in direct alphabetic order. I would like it to show it in a random order.

4) Skinning related; Is there a way to pull information from an item? I'm thinking about clearart, fanart, thumb, info etcetc for use in the skinning aspect of the plugin..

Again, great plugin!

- Jason102 - 2011-05-17

Ferdnand Wrote:Need help on how to add a channel that is fro livestreams plugin , this would be cool.... if it can be done already please post a video to it explaing how.. would be nice...

PseudoTV does not currently support any internet-streaming videos. The reason is that I can't determine the duration, so I can't add it to the EPG. Plus, buffering would take quite a hit when changing channels.

I hadn't even heard of this plugin before, though, I need to check it out...

wimpy Wrote:1) Is there a way to display season/episode on tv shows in the EPG (and OSD).

Not currently. This is on my to-do list, but I want to get show scheduling in first.

wimpy Wrote:2) I tried to add a couple of video playlists, but a couple didn't show up with a name. Just empty channel name. Which prevented it from being added.

Weird. Can you send me one of the smart playlists that doesn't work?

wimpy Wrote:3) Is there a way to randomize the content of the imported smartplaylists? I added one and it seems to send everything in direct alphabetic order. I would like it to show it in a random order.

Just edit the smart playlist and set the order to random.

wimpy Wrote:4) Skinning related; Is there a way to pull information from an item? I'm thinking about clearart, fanart, thumb, info etcetc for use in the skinning aspect of the plugin..

Not really. The problem is that skins don't have enough flexibility to actually display the buttons properly if I just gave them access to a list, the code itself really needs to add the info. This is related to your first question, though...I plan on giving skins access to all sorts of info about the currently selected show at some point.