Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Framedrops on Dharma XBMCBuntu and XBMCLive on two different PC's - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Framedrops on Dharma XBMCBuntu and XBMCLive on two different PC's (/showthread.php?tid=90995)

Pages: 1 2

[LINUX] Framedrops on Dharma XBMCBuntu and XBMCLive on two different PC's - Ronner - 2011-01-18

When Dharma came out I decided to upgrade two PC's in my house and start from fresh installs, all on Linux, but I'm running into frame droppings on both PC's, and given the hardware specs of both machine's it's quite odd to have frame drops.

I have framedrops with both VDPAU enabled and with "software" as the render method.

All the movie material is coming from PC2, which acts as a fileserver among other things, over an smb share on a gigabit network with all cat6 cabling.

SPECS PC 1
===========
CPU: Core2Duo E7300
Mem: 2 GB
GfX: MSI N210 MD512h
HDD: 30gb Vertex SSD

SPECS PC 2
===========
CPU: Amd Phenom II x4 945
Mem: 8 GB
GFX: MSI N210 MD512h
HDD: 7 HDD's (2x 1TB samsungs, 2x 1TB WD's in mirror (boot, swap etc), 2x 1.5 TB Samsungs, 1x 2TB Samsung)

On PC 1 I've installed XBMCLive so the machine resulted in being an Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS 2.6.43-26-generic i686 install, XBMC revision 35648. After that I've installed LCDProc and configured LIRC etc to shut off the LCD display when the machine boots and configure LIRC differently so I can use the built in iMon IR Receiver in combination with an MCE remote.

Previously I had windows 7 on the machine with XBMC 9.x on it and without hardware acceleration the machine would smoothly play anything I threw at it with cpu usage staying under 50%, which given the spec's isn't that strange.

On PC 2 I've installed Ubuntu server 10.04.1 LTS x86_64 (2.6.32-24) and after that I followed the XBMCBuntu installation guide found on http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMCbuntu . When installing the NVidia drivers I used Method 1 as described in the guid. When doing apt-cache search nvidia | grep source however, it didn't find anything higher than 185. The XBMC Revision I ended up with on PC 2 is also 35648.

I've made two log files. One with VDPAU on and the other with "software" as render method. Both logs are from PC1 and since PC2 suffers from the same type of framedropping/sorta-slomo-effect kinda thing, I assume the logs of only PC1 are fine. If you need logs from PC2 as well I'm more than happy to create them.

The logs:

LOG 1 (VDPAU) http://pastebin.com/M4KLh3ue

LOG 2 (Software) http://pastebin.com/iQZGh64y

The skin I'm using (not sure if this is needed info) is Confluence.

I'm hoping someone can point me to the problem because framedrops and unsmooth video playback make me a sad panda Sad

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-18

Ronner Wrote:When doing apt-cache search nvidia | grep source however, it didn't find anything higher than 185.

OUCH. Those drivers are old. Add this PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

Install the updates and see if it helps.

- Ronner - 2011-01-18

I did:

apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

then:

apt-get update

then:

apt-cache search nvidia | grep source

and that gave the following result;

nvidia-180-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-185-kernel-source
nvidia-185-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-185-kernel-source
nvidia-96-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-96-kernel-source
nvidia-173-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-173-kernel-source

Should I do something else to update the drivers?

EDIT: nvm, I did;

apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

and it's installing now.. Let's wait for the reboot Wink to be continued

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-18

hmmm... the current nvidia drivers are no longer called nvidia-glx, they are nvidia-current. Try updating your nvidia-current from that repo, reboot and test playback.

- Ronner - 2011-01-18

yah figured it had a different name. updated, rebooted, unfortunately the stutter/framedrop situation hasn't changed. It's not constant, it's just every so often.

I'm thinking that it can't be the fact that it's using sbm shares though as on win7 it also used smb shares and worked fine, but at this point I'm willing to try anything to get to watch an entire movie without a glitch or 15.

I'll try exporting my media share with NFS as well and have xbmc look at that. To be continued.

- The-Boxhead - 2011-01-19

I quick way of ruling out wrong config/setup is to create a xbmc live cd and boot from that. This way you can rule out HW related problems.

Aside from that are all your files stuttering ? 720/1080/DVD

Also when you enable vdpau and play a video (HD) have you checked by bringing up the info screen that it list using vdpau ?

For linux im using this nvidia driver:

Code:
wget http://uk.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/260.19.29/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.29.run

Code:
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.29.run

this will install a newer driver

- Ronner - 2011-01-19

I've tried XBMC Camelot 9.11 live on PC1 and that worked fine. As I stated in the previous post, it always ran windows 7 before and never had a problem playing files smoothly. It's when Dharma came out when I decided to upgrade my computer park at home. Put the server to linux and the mediacenter downstairs to xbmclive installed on HDD, and tweaking some IR and LCD stuff and use the (now) linux based server upstairs as the fileserver for the movies.

It's basically the XBMCLive Dharma installed on the machine, so I recon it's the same as running the Live CD as is.

I'm currently setting up NFS exports and have PC1 use that instead and upgrading drivers on PC1 now as well.

so again, to be continued Wink

EDIT: OH and yah it's using VDPAU, cuz otherwise the CPU's wouldn't be between 1 and 3 % usage Wink.

It shows this: D(Video: h264, yuv420p, 1920x800) P(vq:94-98%, dc:ff-h264_vdpau-vdpau, Mb/s: 10.00-30.00, drop:14, pc:24)

Ronner Wrote:It's basically the XBMCLive Dharma installed on the machine, so I recon it's the same as running the Live CD as is.

Well i wouldn't agree with that, you never no what small changes you might have done to destroy some stuff. It's a good way to shrink down your possible list of problems Wink

- Ronner - 2011-01-19

The-Boxhead Wrote:Well i wouldn't agree with that, you never no what small changes you might have done to destroy some stuff. It's a good way to shrink down your possible list of problems Wink

naaaah, don't think that that would be the problem. I've done only minimal stuff such as adding LCDProc to control (in my case turn off) the LCD display in the case and changed the config files for LIRC so that the iMon IR receiver can work with a regular MCE remote. And on PC2 I've done tons of other stuff of which I'm quite sure have nothing to do with XBMC or X or NVidia drivers.

One other thing though. I've set up MHDDFS to combine 5 HDD's into 1 virtual HD (it's a fuse module). That virtual HD is then used in XBMC to see all movies and tv shows as one big drive. Could that very well be the cullprit?

Well why not just copy a sample movie to your xbmc's local disk drive and play it from there ? If it works locally you know where your problem lies Wink

And...
i quote you:
Code:
I've done only minimal stuff such as adding LCDProc to control (in my case turn off) the LCD display in the case and changed the config files for LIRC so that the iMon IR receiver can work with a regular MCE remote. And on PC2 I've done tons of other stuff of which I'm quite sure have nothing to do with XBMC or X or NVidia drivers.

Just why i still think you should try the latest xbmc live cd Smile

- Ronner - 2011-01-19

The-Boxhead Wrote:Well why not just copy a sample movie to your xbmc's local disk drive and play it from there ? If it works locally you know where your problem lies Wink

And...
i quote you:
Code:
I've done only minimal stuff such as adding LCDProc to control (in my case turn off) the LCD display in the case and changed the config files for LIRC so that the iMon IR receiver can work with a regular MCE remote. And on PC2 I've done tons of other stuff of which I'm quite sure have nothing to do with XBMC or X or NVidia drivers.

Just why i still think you should try the latest xbmc live cd Smile

yah I tried running a movie from local HDD on PC2 as well (cuz that's where they are located) and it seemed to run fine, but that's the entire problem. The framedropping/stuttering/sorta-slomo-playback at times.. it's not consistent. It's not like I can look up a part of a file and it always happens at the exact same spot. That makes it quite hard to debug.

But I do know that others have the same framedrop/stuttering problem when they moved to using Dharma and stuff worked fine with other versions of XBMC. Be it 9.11 or running it on windows.

- bostoneric - 2011-01-19

I've also noticed this framedrop/stuttering since upgrading to Dharma on videos I did not have them on before.

- Ronner - 2011-01-19

bostoneric Wrote:I've also noticed this framedrop/stuttering since upgrading to Dharma on videos I did not have them on before.

Yah seems we're not the only ones. I've seen numerous posts of framedrops/stuttering of people that moved to Dharma. Pretty sure something is up if the same problem hit multiples of us.

as you can see from my tag im running dharma and have done it for some time. I have no problems with framedrops. I'm not ruling out
bugs in xbmc but other setup/config troubles is more likely.

Again try the live cd without any tweaking of settings...

- cantie - 2011-01-19

yes, i have same problem.
I have installed dharma several times, live cd, xbmcfreak v2, v3 ,but always framedrop, and down to 9.11, it is all OK.
i also use network share, because local drive has only 4G space. any idea? thanks a lot.