Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2] MySQL database / library support? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2] MySQL database / library support? (/showthread.php?tid=91485)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- Advocate - 2011-03-01

I cannot for the life of me get path substitution working on my network. I have a Mac Pro hosting all the media and the MySQL database and it has done all the hard work scraping the info for my files. I have the Thumbnails directory of the Mac Pro shared over samba with all users having read/write privileges.

Before trying this on my ATV I am testing it on my Macbook Pro with the following in advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>10.0.1.5</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_video</name>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>10.0.1.5</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_music</name>
    </musicdatabase>

<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>
            <to>smb://MACPRO-0C0B38/Thumbnails/</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

Can anyone help me get remote thumbnails working please?

- dazex - 2011-03-01

@TheRealDL

Nice writeup of your experience and workarounds. Thanks.

I heard that the db version between XBMC built from main (i.e. OSX, Linux, Windows) and what the ATV2 branch is using is different, causing some issues there. Have you looked into this and come up with a workaround?

- stevenD - 2011-03-01

Advocate Wrote:I cannot for the life of me get path substitution working on my network. I have a Mac Pro hosting all the media and the MySQL database and it has done all the hard work scraping the info for my files. I have the Thumbnails directory of the Mac Pro shared over samba with all users having read/write privileges.

Before trying this on my ATV I am testing it on my Macbook Pro with the following in advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>10.0.1.5</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_video</name>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>10.0.1.5</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_music</name>
    </musicdatabase>

<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

Try using your IP or the local-address. It works for me. And maybe you need a username and password as well?

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <to>smb://username:[email protected]/Thumbnails/</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

- TheRealDL - 2011-03-01

Advocate Wrote:I cannot for the life of me get path substitution working on my network. I have a Mac Pro hosting all the media and the MySQL database and it has done all the hard work scraping the info for my files. I have the Thumbnails directory of the Mac Pro shared over samba with all users having read/write privileges.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>10.0.1.5</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_video</name>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>10.0.1.5</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_music</name>
    </musicdatabase>

<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

Same here Advocate! I do recommend my "read only user" post in this situation or you will lose your hard work so far. You probably should export your databases from the XBMC server before doing anything.

I can confirm the thumbnails work with your advancedsettings.xml on your Apple TV 2. I can confirm that those same settings DO NOT work on my MacBook Pro with Dharma. Still wondering where I buggered it Smile

I'm going to install XBMC on my HP to see how advancedsettings work there and post in a bit.

DL

- dazex - 2011-03-01

I thought there was an smb write issue that prevented thumbnails from being created by ATV2 using path substitution? I could have sworn one of the dev is aware and working on this issue himself.

- TheRealDL - 2011-03-01

dazex Wrote:@TheRealDL

Nice writeup of your experience and workarounds. Thanks.

I heard that the db version between XBMC built from main (i.e. OSX, Linux, Windows) and what the ATV2 branch is using is different, causing some issues there. Have you looked into this and come up with a workaround?
Thanks Dazex. You may be right about there being something funky in the DB between Dharma and xbmc-atv2. I'm getting my HP up and running both XBMC and MySQL today so i'll keep in touch.

- Bumpaneer - 2011-03-01

dazex Wrote:I thought there was an smb write issue that prevented thumbnails from being created by ATV2 using path substitution? I could have sworn one of the dev is aware and working on this issue himself.

I think that got resolved as this setup is working fine on my box with path substitution.

- dazex - 2011-03-01

@TheRealDL

I believe there was a thread about the db in used by each branch being out of sync. Davilla is currently working hard on cleanup and merging to main branch so this will get resolved. But I thought I saw some work around mentioned in that thread. If I come the thread, I'll post a link.

- Memphiz - 2011-03-01

if i remember correct the remote thumbnails only work with atv2 ... if you want to use them on macosx or linux you have to mount the samba into the local filesystem and use a softlink ...

- Advocate - 2011-03-01

Memphiz Wrote:if i remember correct the remote thumbnails only work with atv2 ... if you want to use them on macosx or linux you have to mount the samba into the local filesystem and use a softlink ...

Ahhh how do I do that then?

- transcender - 2011-03-01

I'm annoyed, i had these remote thumbnails working on my iPad finally, then i jsut updated via cydia and now i get weird permissions errors in the log that I didnt encounter before and they dont work.

- freaksworth - 2011-03-01

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Memphiz
if i remember correct the remote thumbnails only work with atv2 ... if you want to use them on macosx or linux you have to mount the samba into the local filesystem and use a softlink ...
Ahhh how do I do that then?

afaik path-substitution works on all plattforms.
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11101

- Advocate - 2011-03-01

Creating a softlink with

ln -s /Volumes/Thumbnails Thumbnails

in the userdata directory of the Macbook Pro does indeed work and I now have all thumbnails/fanart etc from the Mac Pro showing on the Macbook Pro.

The only problem I have now is that the recently added script isn't grabbing the thumbnails on the ATV2, is this where path substitution fails on the ATV2? Would a link similar to the Macbook Pro work better?

- TheRealDL - 2011-03-01

I can confirm that my thumbnail setup does not work in Windows Vista either.

more research...

DL

EDIT: Nor is it a protocol issue as I'm now running NFS instead of SAMBA on 2 new databases.

- Advocate - 2011-03-01

For the moment I'm giving up on the whole path substitution/remote thumbnails thing. Having to do one thing for the ATV2 and something completely different for the other machines on the network is frankly a bit ridiculous.

We need to get to the stage where all artwork is stored in the MySQL database, including banners, posters, cleararts, logos etc. This would also make skinning that much easier as all the different kinds of artwork would just need to be called by their correct name (eg listitem.banner listitem.poster etc)

For now I'll scrape on the Mac Pro and periodically copy the thumbnails directory from there to the other machines.