Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows (/showthread.php?tid=91490)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

- electricd7 - 2011-01-28

OK I am running the tetheredboot from a prompt and the output looks like this:

Code:
C:\ATV\tethered>tetheredboot.exe -i c:\ATV\tethered\iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k c:
\ATV\tethered\kernelcache.release.k66
Initializing libpois0n
ERROR: The process "iTunes.exe" not found.
ERROR: The process "iTunesHelper.exe" not found.
Waiting for device to enter DFU mode
Found device in DFU mode
Checking if device is compatible with this jailbreak
Checking the device type
Identified device as AppleTV2,1
Preparing to upload limera1n exploit
Resetting device counters
Sending chunk headers
Sending exploit payload
Sending fake data
Exploit sent
Reconnecting to device
Waiting 2 seconds for the device to pop up...
Uploading c:\ATV\tethered\iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu to device
[==================================================] 100.0%
Waiting 10 seconds for the device to pop up...
Uploading c:\ATV\tethered\kernelcache.release.k66 to device
Exiting libpois0n

As soon as its done, i unplug microusb and plug in hdmi. I am still stuck at a black screen with a solid white light on the box. I really think I am hosing something up with either my file (which works the first time) or the xbmc install that errors on last part?

- dazex - 2011-01-28

Numus Wrote:I do not believe this is true... I have plugged in hdmi a couple minutes after i tetherbooted and it still worked...
The main problem is some people running tetheredboot in a bat file, which wont error or prompt if it fails, it just closes the cmd prompt and seems like it worked...

You might be right. I was going by firecore's suggestion on the timing of HDMI cable insertion.

See point #5 for the sake of reference: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/3759

And also step 3 at the bottom for tethered boot using Seas0nPass: http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

There may be a reason for why Firecore specifically suggest HDMI is to be plugged in before the light stop flashing. But I can't say what that reason is...other than to keep it in mind in the event that you do have issues getting a video signal on screen.

Thanks,
-Dazex

- dazex - 2011-01-28

electricd7 Wrote:OK I am running the tetheredboot from a prompt and the output looks like this:

Code:
C:\ATV\tethered>tetheredboot.exe -i c:\ATV\tethered\iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k c:
\ATV\tethered\kernelcache.release.k66
Initializing libpois0n
ERROR: The process "iTunes.exe" not found.
ERROR: The process "iTunesHelper.exe" not found.
Waiting for device to enter DFU mode
Found device in DFU mode
Checking if device is compatible with this jailbreak
Checking the device type
Identified device as AppleTV2,1
Preparing to upload limera1n exploit
Resetting device counters
Sending chunk headers
Sending exploit payload
Sending fake data
Exploit sent
Reconnecting to device
Waiting 2 seconds for the device to pop up...
Uploading c:\ATV\tethered\iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu to device
Waiting 10 seconds for the device to pop up...
Uploading c:\ATV\tethered\kernelcache.release.k66 to device
Exiting libpois0n

As soon as its done, i unplug microusb and plug in hdmi. I am still stuck at a black screen with a solid white light on the box. I really think I am hosing something up with either my file (which works the first time) or the xbmc install that errors on last part?

That output looks good to me. The two error regarding iTunes and iTunes helper is because I believe the tetherboot program tries looking for those programs residing in memory so it can kill the process. So you should be able to ignore it.

However, if you want to try troubleshooting so we can know for sure that isn't the cause, try going to where you installed iTunes. Generally it's:

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes for the 64bit version.

Then launch iTunes.exe and iTunesHelper.exe

After those programs are running, try the tetheredboot procedure again. You shouldn't get those error any longer and I expect iTunes and iTunesHelper process to get killed.

Let us know if you see the GUI window.

Lastly, if you still have no video, try putting your device in DFU mode by holding the menu and play/pause button a little longer. Say, 8 secs before you let go.

So basically, plug in the USB cable. Hold down menu and play/pause button. You'll see the light change to a more rapid blink rate. Keep the buttons depress for another ~2 seconds before letting go. (Total time from USB insertion is about 8secs)

Report the result back here.

Thanks,
-Dazex

- dazex - 2011-01-28

electricd7 Wrote:marksch - make sure you replace the characer directly before the deb and after the ./ with a real " mark. A copy and paste doesn't always work because of the font of your browser

Could we determine which browser render the quotes incorrectly for a direct copy/paste operation to fail?

I have been using Firefox to copy and paste and never had an issue.

I help a friend with his jailbreak last night who was using the Chrome browser, and the copy and paste worked fine as well.

Is Internet Explorer, Opera or Safari the culprit?

I had the copy/paste problem using IE 8.0.7600

- marksch - 2011-01-28

Copy/Paste issue it was! Sweet...

I am using Firefox on both Windows and my VMware virtual machine.

I copied and pasted the commands from the wiki into notepad first and corrected the " they are definitely different, ones a little more curvy then the correct one.

Thank you!!

This was the error btw in case your stuck here too.

Apple-TV:~ root# echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get update
E: Type '.deb' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list

Is there a recommended process to remove the jailbreak? I can't get this thing to output video at all now and want to try and start over?

- dazex - 2011-01-28

Removing Jailbreak is simple. Just do it like you would upgrading the ATV2 the Apple way with the help of a computer.

So, simply plug in the ATV2 to the computer via USB only. Then launch iTunes and let iTunes restore the latest firmware. After this process, your ATV2 should be back at factory default state.

dazex - no need to get into DFU mode to restore back to factory settings?

DISREGARD - got it back to factory..not necessary to get to DFU mode for this.

SSH Problem - jayace - 2011-01-29

For the life of me I can't SSH into the aTV. I've jb 3 different times with OS X on a VM using the hackintosh.org method (twice) and the appletvhacks.net method (once). The restore back in Windows with iTunes and the custom ipsw goes fine, I boot tethered, get my network connection established and everything seems fine. But every time I try and ssh in I get connection errors. I've tried winscp, cyberduck and putty. I've tried using the auto assigned ip, set a static ip, tried Apple-TV.local but nothing lets me in. What am I missing here? Any insight is much appreciated.

The error I get with Cyberduck is "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"

- stickman - 2011-01-29

Even though I'm doing the tethered boot through a hackintosh using Seas0npass, I'd like to comment on what I did to solve the timing problem with the HDMI cable connection.

I just cut a small piece of the plastic on the connector so I can keep both USB and HDMI connected at the same time.

Then, just insert the power plug, put the device in DFU mode with the remote and once it reboots it works perfectly fine since the HDMI cable stays always plugged.

- Th3R00st3r - 2011-01-30

hi

installed the custom firmware, run the tethered command, wiat for DFU mode.

Plug in USB cable. Wait till light does 2 blinks per sec. Plug in power.

Down + Menu..wait for super fast blinking light. release.

Wait 6 seconds..

Menu + Play/pause till fast blinking light..relese

run tethered cmd line. It detects (get itunes errors)
loads both .k66 files
Exits libpois0n

disconnect usb, connect hdmi..
Is it suppose to reboot? it looks like the light is still blinking once per second and the tv just says searching for signal.

If I menu+down, it reboots and I just get the apple logo...

Ig I repeat the process with both the usb AND hdmi plugged in, as suggested, the same thing.. steady blinking light no signal.

Is it suppose to reboot after the tethered cmd is done?

- wassabi - 2011-01-30

Any advice for connection refused by putty? Using IP address from Settings>General>Network page.

I believe my atv is jailbroken.
- When I boot without tetheredboot.exe it sits at a black screen.
-Wifi won't connect, but I have plugged into ethernet.
- I got the custom fw from a bud, AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw

Been at this for over 4 hours, ready to give up after reading this
Redsn0w 0.9.7 for Windows Will Untether iOS 4.2.1 Jailbreak with iOS 4.1 Firmware. Expected to Release Soon

- indious - 2011-01-30

wassabi Wrote:Any advice for connection refused by putty? Using IP address from Settings>General>Network page.

I believe my atv is jailbroken.
- When I boot without tetheredboot.exe it sits at a black screen.
-Wifi won't connect, but I have plugged into ethernet.
- I got the custom fw from a bud, AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw

Been at this for over 4 hours, ready to give up after reading this
Redsn0w 0.9.7 for Windows Will Untether iOS 4.2.1 Jailbreak with iOS 4.1 Firmware. Expected to Release Soon

sounds like th atv2 is not jailbroken.

if you are using windows then you will need the custom.ipsw from a mac.

- dazex - 2011-01-30

wassabi Wrote:- I got the custom fw from a bud, AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw

I think your bud gave you the wrong firmware. That looks like the official firmware from Apple.

The default filename for the firmware when created by PwnageTool is:

AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw

The default filename for the firmware when created by Seas0nPass is:

AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_SP_Restore.ipsw